Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by Rody »

In the wake of Kyoto Animation's tragedy, I've halted everything else (and I do mean everything) I've been watching to focus on seeing and revisiting most or all of KyoAni's titles.

-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (revisit): I watched this show in original broadcast order my first time, so this time I'm doing it chronologically, with both seasons together. I loved this show the first time I saw it, but so far I think the broadcast order may have played a big part in elevating the show. It's still good, but the manner in which KyoAni built up the mystery and eccentricity by shuffling the stories was an inspired move, and taking that away makes the show feel a little more ordinary in retrospect. Haruhi herself is also, quite frankly, a terrible person, and the first arc of the show highlights that in a way which makes it hard to like her or really understand what Kyon sees in her - which, again, was alleviated in the broadcast order by cutting up that first arc across the length of the season. Even this early on, though, it's not hard to see all the little tricks of editing and character animation which would become part of KyoAni's overall signature.

-Tamako Market (first watch): I feel like this show, directed by Naoko Yamada, gets overshadowed by her work on K-On! and more recent films like A Silent Voice, but this is a delightful show in its own right. The show is a bit abrupt in its introduction, but really it's all about making the audience at home with the market, enjoying slice-of-life routines and antics with Tamako while subtly building a story arc which culminates in a heartwarming message about what family is. Naturally, KyoAni's standard bar for design and animation detail are in full, colorful display here. I just purchased the show from Right Stuf's birthday sale, so I may be watching it again already very soon!

-K-On! The Movie (first watch): speaking of K-On!, this film really brings out the series at its best: following five adorably dorky highschool girls adventuring in another country (often with no idea what they're doing) while four of them also prepare a farewell tribute for their junior. It's totally sweet and silly, and even at its most awkward moments I felt totally relaxed. I hope we can see another pleasant feature like this from KyoAni someday; I need more of this goodness in my life.

-Tamako Love Story (first watch): following the Yamada trend, this film picks up about where Market left off, but with a big change in mood and intent as Tamako is faced with a personal challenge she's completely unprepared for. The film is still very colorful and sometimes silly, but it's also much more tender and contemplative, with a couple of artistic sequences that I think foreshadow the sensibilities displayed in A Silent Voice and Liz and the Blue Bird. It's a really sweet, relatable film, and I think Yamada is becoming one of my favorite film directors.

I've started up Free! and Miss Kobayahi's Dragon Maid next, and will probably revisit Lucky Star after I'm done with Haruhi. I've meant to see all of KyoAni's works for a few years now, but I hate that it took an incident like this to really drive me towards accomplishing it. :cry:

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

I need to watch more anime, but my NEET lifestyle is fading again. SSSS.Gridman and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime are probably tied as my favorites at the moment. Konosuba, Dragon Maid, One Punch Man, and Kill la Kill are up there too.

Best Girls from each series in order of how good they are:
1. Mako
2. Milim Nava
3. Kanna
4. Akane Shinjo
5. King
6. Aqua
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Just finished watching two animes this past week: the original Fist of the North Star and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

109 episodes in total, I can say that Fist of the North Star was definitely a journey for me. It took me about 2 months to get around to watch every episode and sometimes it can drag a little due to filler. I was not particularly invested in the show until two characters showed up: Rei and Raoh. They were my two favorite characters in the show and once Raoh's story kicks in, the show picks up a ton. Raoh ended up being my favorite character in the show. He is not a one-dimensional villain and his motives are understandable to me. Part of me was actually rooting for Raoh to have his way too, which I think is a testament to how well the character is done. Ken is a fine protagonist as well even if he doesn't have the most colorful personality. I think his rivalry with Raoh was the best part of the show and there was a lot of tension in there fightd. Rei is my second favorite character as I think he had one of the best character arcs in the show. I also loved his Waterfowl Fist. Overall, this is a solid anime that pays dividends if you stick with it to the end. It is a bit dated, which probably explains why I see a bunch of new versions of it on YouTube.

My experience with Evangelion was a bit different. I watched all 26 episodes in the span of five days and my expectations of the show were very high. It seems like the web regards this anime as a masterpiece and I came into the show thinking whether or not it would top my favorite anime of all time, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. Like Cowboy Bebop, this show really didn't work for me. It would be an understatement if I didn't say that I was frustrated with the characters in the show. Anno wanted to emphasize that these characters had psychological issues and the viewer is on for the emotional roller coaster of their lives. The Evangelions reminded me a lot of Kiryu in the Godzilla series and the Angels were not too far from the weekly aliens and monsters we see in Ultraman. The show does pose some interesting questions but along with its biblical imagery, I felt ironically that the show could get a little preachy. The last two episodes rattled my mind a little and I was not impressed or interested in the direction it went. I heard that the End of Evangelion movie provides an alternative ending so I won't totally right this series off yet. I did appreciate seeing how some aspects of this show influenced Shin Godzilla, a movie that I appreciate yet have my own critiques of too.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Free to have your own opinion on Eva, but saying they’re too much like Kiryu is anachronistic since Eva predates Kiryu.

Added in 15 minutes 35 seconds:
tyrantgoji wrote:Wow... prayers for the people who have died in this and i hope that whoever caused this crap gets life in prison.
I wanted to just say most likely they’ll get hanged. Capital Punishment is easy to get if you kill someone, let alone this type of stuff.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

I did not intend to criticize the show because it reminds me of Kiryu. To clarify, I just wanted to mention how I can see how Evangelion influenced Kiryu and how the weekly Angels reminded me of Ultra kaiju and aliens. My wording was a bit confusing.

Update 8/12: I managed to watch the End of Evangelion movie on Thursday and I think it is a proper ending to the series. I think the movie does a good job of filling in the gap between the main story and the last two episodes of the show. It wrapped up the stories of many characters, which I greatly appreciated. The fate of Shinji's father and his interactions with characters in the film was one of my favorite aspects. I think that the film did a better job explaining the message of the story better than the final two episodes of the show.

Although I still hold steady with my initial thoughts of the show, I think the movie allowed me to look at the series as a whole unlike the last two episodes. I can certainty see the appeal this show has with people and I do think it took some interesting artistic risks. Overall, I think it is a decent anime that was not as big of a fit for me as other animes I've watched in the past like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Fist of the North Star. If I had to rank the animes I've seen, I'd probably go with the following:

1. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

2. Dragon Ball Z

3. Fist of the North Star

4. Trigun

5. Evangelion

6. Dragon Ball

7. Afro Samurai

8. Ruroni Kenshin

9. Samurai Champloo

10. Gurren Lagen

11. Cowboy Bebop

12. Dragon Ball Super

13. Dragon Ball GT

14. Attack on Titan
Last edited by GodzillaXGomoraFight on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The two recent Yuyu Hakusho shorts are being dubbed by Funimation.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'm still completely behind on shows recently or currently airing, besides Gegege no Kitaro, which is still going strong even as it enters its final extended arc - seriously, if any of you like yokai/monster-of-the-week tales with additional overarching plots and biting social commentary, you should be watching this show - but I have finally entered the last few episodes of Lupin the IIIrd Part 2, which I started about three years ago now! It's been a fun ride, and Hayao Miyazaki's presence in some of these later episodes has been extra delightful. I'm glad to be finally almost DONE, though - phew!

Tonight I finished my revisit of Neon Genesis Evangelion, which was an overall pleasure. It's a messy show, at times, but it's earnest and I admire all it sets out to do. The lack of "Fly Me to the Moon" in the Netflix credits felt weird, though.

I've fallen behind on my KyoAni shows again, but I did revisit Haruhi-chan and Churuya-san, which are pretty silly little side projects for the Haruhi franchise. They're not great, but it's interesting to see how KyoAni was experimenting with style in these shorts.
I did recently purchase Love, Chuunibyo and Other Delusions! during a Right Stuf sale, so that and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya will probably be my next revisits. Then I need to seek out Munto.

Oh, hey, did anyone catch Promare in theaters last month? It was all the adrenaline-pumping, self-aware awesome nonsense you'd expect from the Gurren Lagann/Kill la Kill team, except on the big screen this time! I was also pleased to see 2D and 3D animation meshed together quite well, and both Hiryuki Sawano and Superfly brought on some terrific music!

A fan also made a Promare Title Generator you can play around with, and I must admit, it can become addicting; check out the Twitter Feed:

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Masaaki Yuasa is on quite a roll lately! His studio is keeping very busy, and they've been putting out quality work. I'm looking forward to the USA premiere of his latest film, Ride Your Wave.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Rody wrote:Masaaki Yuasa is on quite a roll lately! His studio is keeping very busy, and they've been putting out quality work. I'm looking forward to the USA premiere of his latest film, Ride Your Wave.
Oh yes, I really want to see that movie too!
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

So, have started watching Black Lagoon.

Loving it so far. Balalaika is Best Girl (?)
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

ManuJM1997 wrote:So, have started watching Black Lagoon.

Fuck yeah, Black Lagoon is the tits. Not sure how far into it you are, but the vampire twins and Roberta's Blood Trail OVA are my favorite arcs.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

2004Zilla wrote:

skreeonk yeah, Black Lagoon is the tits. Not sure how far into it you are, but the vampire twins and Roberta's Blood Trail OVA are my favorite arcs.
While I agree on the Vampire Twins, I feel that the Yakuza arc was the best one in the entire series.

At least for me, it's the one that most centered around character development with both Rock and Revy

(And well, It has Best Woman Balalaika being awesome, so there's that too)
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:

skreeonk yeah, Black Lagoon is the tits. Not sure how far into it you are, but the vampire twins and Roberta's Blood Trail OVA are my favorite arcs.
While I agree on the Vampire Twins, I feel that the Yakuza arc was the best one in the entire series.

At least for me, it's the one that most centered around character development with both Rock and Revy

(And well, It has Best Woman Balalaika being awesome, so there's that too)
That's fair, I really liked the Yakuza arc as well. The Second Barrage in general was a huge stepup from the already fantastic first season.

The manga is kinda on a hiatus right now because Hiroe Rei is a bit of a lazy ass, but there is a Sawyer the Cleaner spinoff in the works, which I'm very excited for. :)

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Not nearly as seasoned a weeb as others but I'm already finding so shows that I'd consider to be some of my all time favorite series period not just as anime but as works of storytelling in general. In no particular order, Attack On Titan, One Punch Man, Death Note, Konosuba, Psycho Pass, and Cowboy Bebop. I also love/hate Evangelion.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Just finished watching yet another 90s anime: Yu Yu Hakusho. I started watching the show last month and after grinding a lot of episodes the last week, I finally got to the end. Overall, I think it is a very solid anime throughout. I think that the show maintained my attention consistently and was paced very well for the most part unlike some other shows I have watched ( Ruroni Kenshin, Fist of the North Star). Yu Yu Hakusho definitely does a good job in developing multiple characters that you can root for and I can imagine people having different favorite characters. For me, my favorite character was definitely Yusuke with Kuwabara being second. The show created an interesting world that was immersive and very imaginative. The last arc and final episode in particular wrapped up the show very nicely

There are a few criticisms that I have of the show that keep it from busting into my Top Five animes of all time. While not necessarily a bad thing, I did feel that the show was influenced a ton by Dragon Ball. Tournaments, an elderly master, and power levels definitely resonate Dragon Ball to me. While it didn't take me out of the show, I did feel that because I know Dragon Ball so well, certain beats and plot points could be anticipated with ease. Since the beginning of the show, I felt that the show failed to explore Yusuke's relationship with school. In the beginning of the show, one of his teachers visited his family when he died and somewhat grieved his death. The show never revisited that and although I am sure it is more entertaining to watch Yusuke fight, I would have liked to have seen that relationship develop more. I watched the English dub of the show and although I really liked it overall, I was a little annoyed by the amount times Yusuke would say: "I am gonna kick your ass". At some points, it seemed like he would say that every episode and sometimes on multiple occasions.

To summarize, I think this show is solid, but not ground-breaking or mind-blowing for me. Despite having a love-hate reaction to Evangelion, I found that show to have a greater impact on me than Yu Yu Hakusho and the same can be said for my initial viewings of Dragon Ball Z. Yu Yu Hakusho is an enjoyable watch and I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking to watch an anime similar to Dragon Ball or beginning to explore the genre.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:Just finished watching yet another 90s anime: Yu Yu Hakusho. I started watching the show last month and after grinding a lot of episodes the last week, I finally got to the end. Overall, I think it is a very solid anime throughout. I think that the show maintained my attention consistently and was paced very well for the most part unlike some other shows I have watched ( Ruroni Kenshin, Fist of the North Star). Yu Yu Hakusho definitely does a good job in developing multiple characters that you can root for and I can imagine people having different favorite characters. For me, my favorite character was definitely Yusuke with Kuwabara being second. The show created an interesting world that was immersive and very imaginative. The last arc and final episode in particular wrapped up the show very nicely

There are a few criticisms that I have of the show that keep it from busting into my Top Five animes of all time. While not necessarily a bad thing, I did feel that the show was influenced a ton by Dragon Ball. Tournaments, an elderly master, and power levels definitely resonate Dragon Ball to me. While it didn't take me out of the show, I did feel that because I know Dragon Ball so well, certain beats and plot points could be anticipated with ease. Since the beginning of the show, I felt that the show failed to explore Yusuke's relationship with school. In the beginning of the show, one of his teachers visited his family when he died and somewhat grieved his death. The show never revisited that and although I am sure it is more entertaining to watch Yusuke fight, I would have liked to have seen that relationship develop more. I watched the English dub of the show and although I really liked it overall, I was a little annoyed by the amount times Yusuke would say: "I am gonna kick your ass". At some points, it seemed like he would say that every episode and sometimes on multiple occasions.

To summarize, I think this show is solid, but not ground-breaking or mind-blowing for me. Despite having a love-hate reaction to Evangelion, I found that show to have a greater impact on me than Yu Yu Hakusho and the same can be said for my initial viewings of Dragon Ball Z. Yu Yu Hakusho is an enjoyable watch and I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking to watch an anime similar to Dragon Ball or beginning to explore the genre.
The ending to the show sucks and drags it down a lot for me.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

I can see what you mean LSD Jellyfish. I watched a lot of reviews of the show last night and I realized that a lot of people think the show went downhill after the Dark Tournament arc. The final arc was definitely too brief, but I felt I could overlook it because of the investment I had in the characters at this point. I do think that we get decent closure for Yusuke, Hiei, and Kurama, although I can say that the development of the Three Kings characters didn't quite get the same treatment. The change from evil rulers to potential "friends" was a bit sudden. I can also say that the Sakio arc was probably one of my least favorite arcs in the show, but I kinda liked some things in it such as Yusuke tapping into his demon side.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:I can see what you mean LSD Jellyfish. I watched a lot of reviews of the show last night and I realized that a lot of people think the show went downhill after the Dark Tournament arc. The final arc was definitely too brief, but I felt I could overlook it because of the investment I had in the characters at this point. I do think that we get decent closure for Yusuke, Hiei, and Kurama, although I can say that the development of the Three Kings characters didn't quite get the same treatment. The change from evil rulers to potential "friends" was a bit sudden. I can also say that the Sakio arc was probably one of my least favorite arcs in the show, but I kinda liked some things in it such as Yusuke tapping into his demon side.
It did give some really satisfying closure to Kurama and Hiei. I just didn’t like how the final arc really lacks a main villain, builds up these minor characters that amount to nothing (the son for example). The world it introduced was cool, and could’ve been much more elaborated on.

Despite what I’m saying, I really love YuYuHakusho for a lot of the “colors”. I love how the main cast have a nice color theme, and how actually a lot of the episodes looked. The show also got incredibly experimental visually, like that sequence of episodes with the trick house. I also really like the opening due to a strong association I have to it since I listened to it a lot when I moved to japan. The show was fantastic visually, and I really cared about the characters, but there’s still a lot that kept it from it becoming one of the all time greats.

I’m currently looking for some new manga to get into. Since I’m in japan, I might look into some obscure stuff. This might not surprise a lot of you, but there’s a lot of manga (more so than anime) that’s interesting but not popular and as a result it rarely gets translations. Might be good reading practice as well.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Was Yu Yu Hakusho released before or after Dragonball? I get the impression that it was a foundational shounen series in its own right. I haven't seen it myself, but it's on my Crunchyroll queue, some one of these days...

Hey, did anyone go see Konosuba: The Legend of Crimson tonight? I came back from it about an hour ago, and it was a blast. All the humor you'd expect from the previous two seasons, packed into an hour and a half with upgraded production values. Not all of the jokes worked, but most did. My theater had a pretty decent turnout, too; anime films seem to be doing pretty well recently!