My little Pony: Friendship is magic

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: My little Pony: Friendship is magic

Postby HayesAJones » Mon May 22, 2017 10:08 am

I think I could watch a whole episode of Luna crankily eating breakfast.

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Postby godzilla5417 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:17 pm

Never watched an episode of this in my life, but my brother introduced me to a voice actor from this show. And he told me it's really awkward going to conventions because he has to hug a bunch of weird middle aged dudes.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:14 am

C'mon, don't let the messed up schedule stop you guys from posting reviews.
Hard to Say Anything
Well, while most CheeriMac, and MarbleMac shippers are obviously upset, i kind of like SugarMac. It feels a tad more realistic and refreshing, not to mention it doesn't feel as forced as the former two pairings. And that Feather Bangs guy was pretty hilarious too, glad to see even Hasbro can't resist making fun of Justino Biberón. Those bimbette mares were quite a treat as well. That being said, the whole thing got downright cringe-inducing at some moments, but frankly, this is one of those episodes you can enjoy if you don't take it seriously because, obviously, the episode doesn't take itself seriously. It's pretty much an affectionate parody of sappy love stories and stuff like that.
Honest Apple
Sorry, but no, just no. For starters, it's pretty obvious that Applejack doesn't have a very good understanding of fashion, yet Rarity picked her up anyway. And while i can see the episode wanted to deliver a lesson about how brutal honesty can be rather hurtful at times, Applejack herself pretty much behaved in a quite unsympathetic way with her judgement. Yeah, the main moral is that you should not judge something too harshly because of all the effort and work put into it, but this episode failed to deliver that gracefully. I gotta admit, i do like Rarity's completely unexpected guitar solo. Currently a low point for the season.
Image Image

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:13 am

Loved the new episode, though I pretty much love all the Discord episodes. It was nice to see Discord trying to change himself for Fluttershy, only to learn a good lesson on how Fluttershy likes him for being so different. I can bet you the Fluttercord shippers will love this episode. It was also hilarious seeing Discord interact with his clones.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...

gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide

Holy poop man.

My DA

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Man, I need to get caught up. Between working on Saturdays, the weird release schedule, and some of the recent eps being underwhelming, I've been falling way behind. Some mini-reviews, though:

Hard to Say Anything: Dumb, but amusing from what I remember; been a few weeks since I saw this one. CheeriMac is still real to me, dammit.

Honest Apple: Watched this and the next one today. Would've been pretty good if Applejack hadn't been tossed the idiot ball. It wasn't the worst case of stupidity we've seen, though, and was even somewhat excusable, given that blunt Honesty was what she was recruited to provide. She just... went overboard. Anyway, the long-awaited returns of Hoity Toity and Photo Finish were welcome.

Royal Problem: Heh, this would've been a world-shattering event, back in the day. As it was, I quite liked this one. We've always needed a look into the Princesses' day-to-day lives, and here it finally is. Seeing them display actual personality is always great, too. And Corona Daybreaker dawning at long last, even in dream form, was really cool. A highlight of the season, for sure.

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:03 pm

Well, the two last episodes for a while before we go into the good ol' summer pony drought. At least the technicolor humans will make us some company:
A Royal Problem: Quite decent! Certainly the Celestia/Luna episode we were all waiting for. It's quite welcome to see Celly portrayed as someone who struggles with her own flaws rather than the utterly flawless idol ponykind loves and respects, and her evil counterpart, Daybreaker is glorious!. My only issue is that the presence of Twilight and Starlight seems kinda unnecesary, but oh well, it's good to see they recognize Glimmy's explosive temper as her biggest flaw and that is pure potential for decent character development.

Not Asking for Trouble
Eh... whatever, while i'm glad to see Yakyakistan in its full glory, this one just seems pretty meh... The show already dealt with the "Don't be so skreeonking stubborn and accept some help when necessary" lesson all the way back in season 1's "Applebuck Season", so i didn't really see much point behind this episode. Not bad, but a kinda lackluster way to dive into the skreeonking hiatus. The folks at Australia got luckier, though.
Image Image

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Postby Showa Gyaos » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:31 pm

New trailer for the film.

ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

ernesth100
EDF Soldier

Postby ernesth100 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:48 am

The trailer looks like it could've been better if they kept the normal art style and made it slightly more HD. Nonetheless still looks like a great plot.
Every fan fic I've made so far http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 48#p624848
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDz...9FTHC6A/videos
I want Kong v Godzilla To Be like BvS but...y'know, better critically received. With Mothra filling the role of Wonder Woman and Ghidorah filling the role of Doomsday. Here's to hoping. :D

Calling It Now, GvKK, King Kong won't be an inch under 250 ft.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:43 am

I'm not sure how to feel. The backgrounds look... odd. They don't match the character art, which, speaking of, is a little odd itself. It seems like sometimes the mouth movements and expression around the eyes don't quite match? And those minions stink of generic modern animated movie humor. Honestly, that's what it feels like: the characters dropped into a bland modern animated kids' film.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:38 pm

^ That was my impression, too, but we have to remember that this is only a trailer. A trailer for a kids' movie, no less, and one trying to reach a wide variety of target audiences. I really wouldn't take this as being indicative of the movie's overall quality. I've seen trailers make good movies look terrible, and terrible movies look good. Bayformers trailers always make me want to see their movies, for example, even if I know better by now.

Anyway, we're getting airship battles and SEAPONIES, so I guess I'm on board.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:46 pm

I sure hope that's the case.

Ryguy
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ryguy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:02 pm

Brace yourselves, the neckbeards are coming
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Just a friendly reminder that our favorite Technicolor equines return tomorrow, with a double mid-season premiere to boot. Stay tuned.
By the way, we should resurrect the Fanart Friday...
Image Image

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:33 pm

I admit I haven't been keeping up, but there seemed to be good buzz about The Perfect Pear, so I checked it out and it was... just really, really nice. So I guess I need to go back and watch the episodes I skipped after the disappointment of the season premier now. The second half with Starlight and Trixie didn't even seem that bad, I was just grumpy because they bombed another Discord episode.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Yes, The Perfect Pear was really, really nice. Did not expect that to be the episode it turned out to be; based on the name I was expecting something a lot more comedy-centric. But yeah, it's great to finally meet the Apple parents, even if it's a little odd that Applejack and Mac seemed to know virtually nothing about them. I mean, Mac would probably have been a teenager by the time they died. *shrug* Oh, well, I'm just glad we finally got this episode. Backstory details for Mrs. Cake and Mayor Mare were appreciated, too, as was the confirmation that, as has long been theorized, ponies do sometimes change their names once their cutie marks appear. Heck of an episode.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Campfire Tales introduced some interesting lore (Norse earth ponies! Asian unicorns! Roman pegasi!), but since when does Scootaloo have a fear of the outdoors? Seems like they just tacked that on to relate her to Rainbow's story. Also, one of the dragons was totally Torch. I wonder if the other one was his mate and Ember's mother? Seems like something that will at least enter fanon.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:37 am

Gah, I have a lot of catching up to do again. I did watch Discordant Harmony the other day, and it was decent.

In other news, have a blast from the past: Fanfic Recommendation Time!

Those of ye who've been ponying since the early days will likely recall an author by the name of Cloudy Skies, one of the best adventure and shipping writers this fandom's ever had. He was on hiatus for the last few years, but he resurfaced a few months ago and just started posting a completed, nine-months-in-the-writing epic called To Perytonia. https://www.fimfiction.net/story/383344/to-perytonia It's already looking promising, and it's not getting anything like enough attention, so you should probably give it a try.

EDIT: Just got done with Fame and Misfortune and Triple Threat. The former was an amusing jab at the fandom and stupid fandoms in general (ft. G4ified old-gen ponies!), and the latter was *sigh* a Spike episode.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Eh, haven't really been catching with the latest episodes. Between too much college homework and the fact my interest for the show is slowly dying, to be honest, i haven't managed to see the little pony adventures reccently. I still do like a few chapters such as The Perfect Pear. The additions to the bestiary so far have left me a tad disappointed. Wish we could see more creatures from mythology rather than original made-up monsters.
Image Image

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Postby Destroyer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:38 am

Wow, this board used to be so alive back in the day.

For those that like to read reviews, I wrote one for the movie...which no one here seems to be discussing.
https://destroyer14.com/2017/10/06/my-l ... ie-review/
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:53 pm

It's terrible, how long it's taking me to get through S7, but I'm still chipping away at it. Hey, at least I won't have to deal with a between-season Pony Drought this time.

I watched It Isn't The Mane Thing About You today. Unremarkable, and the moral delivery was a bit clunkily heavy-handed even for this show, but it was good for some amusing Rarity drama and checking in with a bunch of backgrounders, some of which haven't done anything notable in a long time/ever. I think this was the first time Mr. Breezy ever got a speaking role, for example. That would've been a pretty big deal, back in the day. :lol:

Zecora appearances are always highly welcome, too, of course. She rarely gets anything to do, these days.

EDIT: And she gets another appearance in A Health of Information, even if it's only to get sick. This episode was another mixed bag. I like the general concept, and Fluttershy taking the lead in an adventure episode was nice to see. I quite like Mage Meadowbrook, too, and I hope/expect we'll see more of her. Earth Pony magic is something we've seen virtually nothing of so far. Swamp Fever and the Blast Bees were cool additions to the show's lore, too.

That said, these writers need to stay really, really far away from Twilight in the future. Reluctant to do research? Research that is vital for a friend's survival and pertains to a key figure in the history of Equestrian magic? Dragging her hooves over things like sleep and breakfast* in the middle of a crisis? Lazily taking a beackseat to her obviously exhausted friend and totally failing to take advantage of the massive array of resources she has available as a Princess/generally very well-connected pony? Not just magically yanking the damn bees out of the hive and grabbing a scoop of honey? What part of this sounds like Twilight Sparkle?

*I will note that they may have been intending to show that she's matured beyond her infamous rash, panicky tendencies and knows now that 'calm and deliberate' is more likely to work out, and if so, I appreciate that. They just... didn't get it across very gracefully.

ANOTHER EDIT:

And I've finished the season, finally. Mini-reviews:

- Marks and Recreation: Addressed some questions about cutie marks and made Rumble into a character. Decent middle-of-the-road stuff.

- Once Upon A Zeppelin: Much more interesting, due to being a Best Pony episode involving meeting her parents on an AIRSHIP. Glad to see both of those things finally given some screentime. This was a good way to bring Iron Will back, too. Fair moral execution and stuff, too.

- Secrets and Pies: A touch retread-y, but I didn't care. An episode focusing on Pinkie as a baker was long overdue, and her obsessive antics here were as entertaining as (almost) anything she's ever done. Having both Pinkie and Dash learn lessons, with (IIRC) neither of them having been entirely wrong to begin with, was also cool.

- The one with Suburst's visit to Ponyville: Sunburst is a jackass, even if I guess he ultimately means well...

- Shadow Play: Something of a mixed bag. While it was really cool meeting the Pillars and learning the origins of the Elements of Harmony, I think I'd have been happier if we'd never met Starswirl the Bearded. I feel like he was more interesting as the mysterious historical figure we've always known him as. Still, there's a good chance that the writers have plans for him going forward, so I'll wait and see. The moral was handled pretty well, too, in an intentionally generic-for-this-show sort of way.

I don't know what the heck the show is going to do for villains going forward, though. We still need to resolve Chrysalis, but it's not like she poses any threat on her own at this point, given the sheer power and experience possessed by the Forces of Good these days. I actually hope they don't bring her back as next season's finale villain, seeing as the next season is pretty likely going to be the last, with talk of a Generation 5 now floating around. I think I'd like to see a quiet sendoff, more about our favorite ponies and their Friendship than some jumping-through-hoops-to-keep-things-interesting adventure. But we'll see.

Added in 6 months 11 hours 11 minutes 38 seconds:
All right, on the off-chance that anybody still cares, time to bring this thread back to its rightful place at the top of the first page. It took me long enough, but I finally got to the movie a couple weeks ago. It was somewhat generic and tried to do way too much with not enough time, as expected, but nevertheless managed to be decently fun and inoffensive throughout.

More importantly, the S8 premiere was a breath of fresh air. No fate of the world, underwhelming villain stuff here, just the Mane Six doing something logical with all their Friendship experience and opening a school to spread it. Very interestingly, the school is also open to kids from all species, the intention being the encouragement of international Friendship. We've been seeing a lot of the other species in the last few seasons, but it's still very welcome to see new characters for each major species come to the forefront as (presumably) important figures in this season. They're all likable to one extent or another, and it should be noted that Yona with Hair Loopies is officially Best Yak. Racist Snape Pony Nay Say was a rather different kind of villain, too; I wonder what we'll see from him going forward.

So I'm back on board the pony train, and only three months late. Anybody else still with me?

EDIT: The Maud Couple was okay. Pinkie getting frustrated so quickly and not wanting to befriend somepony was a little heretical, but Mud Briar was somewhat amusing, and of course rather perfect for Maud. Returns by Limestone and Marble were highly welcome, too.

Fake It 'Till You Make It would also fall into the 'okay' category. The actual story and moral were dull and retread-y, but nobody was supposed to give a poop. The point of the episode was obviously dressing Fluttershy up as these horrible characters and letting Andrea Libman go all out with the ridiculous voices for fifteen minutes, and I can't, in good conscience, disapprove of that. At this point in the show, over 150 episodes in, if it can still be entertaining at all, that's an incredible win.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Media Center”