My little Pony: Friendship is magic

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Re: My little Pony: Friendship is magic

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:23 am

Finale: I'm not mad, just moderately disappointed, so this review probably reads as harsher than I really feel towards the episode. Anyway, it was a good concept, but suffered from crap execution. We need a new head writer for S7, because the show under Josh Haber is mostly just soullessly going through the motions.

Pros:

- Unprecedented focus on a character that isn't Twilight.

- We're probably done with major focus on Starlight, so now the show can get back to what it does best.

- The Changeling Hive constantly shifting and... well, changing. That was a really cool idea.

- I would've flipped over the TV if Chrysalis had taken Starlight's hoof. At least they kept her out there as a wild card, and maybe she can still partially salvage this waste of a story arc.

- Trixie in an adventure role, even if execution left a bit to be desired.

EDIT- I will say that, thinking back, I like that The ReFourmed (I figure Starlight's team needs a name...) saved the day totally nonviolently. That's always been the show's standard, of course, but the Mane Six do usually attempt to simply beat the villains into submission before being forced to Friendship them. The ReFourmed, in the absence of their magic, had to do everything through words and deception. Not gonna lie and say I wouldn't have had more fun watching Dash and the Wonderbolts fighting the swarm over Canterlot while the Princesses had another DBZ battle with a supercharged Chrysalis, though. :P

- Mailmare Derpy.

Cons:

- Too much time spent on stating the obvious and clunkily forcing 'funny' interaction between our band of misfit heroes, leading to a horribly rushed conclusion.

- Thorax failing to have been secretly evil all along. There aren't many characters in this show that I'd like to see dead in a muddy roadside ditch, but he's one of them.

- Princesses going down without a fight, yet again. It mattered here, too. Everybody and their dog waited four years to see Luna make up for missing the last invasion.

And a question that is neither pro nor con: where are the dragons and griffons? They've been implying a buildup of 'powerful alliances' between Equestria and these other countries, and I'd expected to see that followed up here. Guess that's coming later on.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:01 pm

You know, I actually REALLY liked the combo of Discord and Trixie.

Thorax was... there.
"Nooooooooooooooo poop, Sherlock~."

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Where the Apple Lies: Meh, can' say much about this one, but it's always nice to see more of Applejack's past. That, and her teenage design was adorable.
Top Bolt: It's always nice to give some more depth to the Wonderbolts and their academy, and the whole thing was pleasant to watch.
Finale, both parts: Not gonna lie, the finale was quite so-so. Gotta say, with the synopses claiming the villain was going to be on of Equestria's oldest and most powerful threads, i was expecting yet another revamped G1 antagonist, but that was not the case. Still, there were hints trought this season that Chrysalis would come back, and she definitely needed a much deserved return, so i can't complain. Plus, good thing she remains evil, there's been just too many redemptions. Gotta say, Starlight's group worked pretty well as a team, albeit poor Thorax was nothing more than a walking, talking plot device here. The redeemed changelings design are quite narmy, gotta say, and it would've been nice to see how the Mane six and the other ponies were subdued and captured. Overall, not a bad finale, but quite underwhelming in comparison to other entries.
BTW, this season's opener and finale do not end with the ponies having a group hug. Weird...

Added in 12 hours 43 minutes 17 seconds:
Since it's pretty likely Chryssie will come back to get revenge on Starlight, what would you like to see regarding that concept?

Added in 22 hours 45 minutes 25 seconds:
Time to wake up fellas, a couple of season 7 trailers and synopses have been revealed:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/03/ ... eased.html
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/03/ ... r-has.html
Pretty interesting, but it seems they'll be controversial episodes given they will have Starlight and her buddies as the focus again. let's see how things roll.
Image Image

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:13 pm

I didn't and won't watch the previews, of course. I'm glad to know Starlight and co. will be prominently featured, though, so at least that won't come as an unwelcome surprise. I always said they should gradually make some of the side characters more prominent and take some pressure off the Mane Six to keep providing quality seasons, but now its here and I frankly just want to follow Fluttershy around in her day to day animal work for a season. Can we just do that?

Also, I haven't posted in this thread in almost six months. How far I've fallen...

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Spoiler:
Hey, Discord right away! More of him and Trixie playing off each other please. But I dunno if Starlight has done enough to graduate...

"Rainbow Dash’s over-enthusiastic parents"

Yesssssssss

Still waiting for more than cameos of Twilight's parents though.

ernesth100
EDF Soldier

Postby ernesth100 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:19 pm

Next Season?,
Every fan fic I've made so far http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 48#p624848
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDz...9FTHC6A/videos
I want Kong v Godzilla To Be like BvS but...y'know, better critically received. With Mothra filling the role of Wonder Woman and Ghidorah filling the role of Doomsday. Here's to hoping. :D

Calling It Now, GvKK, King Kong won't be an inch under 250 ft.

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Soon.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...

gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide

Holy poop man.

My DA

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:38 pm

All right, new season time. The premiere was fine. Nothing earth-shattering, but nothing offensive, either, and there were definitely things to like.

Pros:

- Realistically, this is probably the closest we're ever going to get to a Celestia episode. It was really welcome, after her general absence in the last few seasons, seeing her get some good, quality interaction with Twilight. Better still, we got some unprecedented insight into her past and motivations, learning that she suffers from some of the same indecision and fear as Twilight (and doesn't bother to put on a mask for her guards). She had some top-notch lines, too. "I wasn't aware I was an expression." "There's no wrong way to fantasize." :lol:

- Maybe Starlight's 'graduation' is the signal that the show will back off from her a little bit, now? Hopefully, anyway... I don't dislike her, but we've been seeing too much of her, lately.

- Even if I'm not sure I approve of Reformed Trixie becoming a regular, I do like that she's a pony that can be as insufferable a jackass as the story requires without being aware of it, and be totally in-character while she does it.

- Slice of life premiere. Those don't happen every day.

- Bulk Biceps doing stuff is always welcome.

- Songs are cool, even if this one was (perhaps intentionally) generic and forgettable. Also, there was a Moana reference.

Con:

- Way too much time filled with Twilight's doom scenarios. We could've gotten more Celestia time out of that.

Overall, a decent way to kick the season off. If we can keep quality around this level, I'll be satisfied.

Added in 23 hours 40 minutes 23 seconds:
Oh, come on, nobody's going to say anything about Flurry of Emotions? Lack of posts in this thread during Great Pony Droughts is one thing, but we're back in Season Mode again, here, people. Get your crap together. :mad:

Anyway, this one surprised me. New writers that know what they're doing are always welcome, and these ones need to stay. Twilight and even Spike were handled well, good use was made of criminally underused side characters, I actually like Flurry Heart now, and they finally brought Gusty and Grogar into G4.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:14 am

JAGzilla wrote:Grogar

WHAT

Okay, I've been slacking off because Discord being an unapologetic and manipulative jerk to Twilight right away in a new season put me in a bad mood, but holy poop Grogar

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:22 am

HayesAJones wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:Grogar

WHAT

Okay, I've been slacking off because Discord being an unapologetic and manipulative jerk to Twilight right away in a new season put me in a bad mood, but holy poop Grogar

Before you get too excited, his 'role' was very small. Still, at least he's finally canon, and maybe this was foreshadowing a full-blown appearance. Hopefully.

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Well, i was able to catch up with the latest season after a while. Let's see what we've got:
*Celestial Advice:
Pretty sweet way to start the season, we got more Celestia characterization and darkly hilarious doom scenarios only Twi's mind can cook up. But it's kinda early to have Starlight graduate from her Friendship lessons. Might be mitigated by Glimmy not getting sent away, but i'm sure something big will happen to her eventually. Whatever the case, let's just enjoy the season.

*All Bottled Up:
Hmmm, so Starlight's magic is fueled by her emotions, huh? Pretty interesting, and the Sith Order would approve. The Jedi Order, would disapprove. Jokes aside, it was a bit nice to see Trix getting bitten in the flank for such egotistical behavior, but she sincerely apologized for it and that shows she's developing as a character. That pleases me. And it's good to see Glimmy's apparently taking her as her padawan, too.

*A Flurry of Emotions:
Eh, so-so, most of it felt like a rehash of "Baby Cakes" for me, but it's not without its redeeming graces. Flurry Heart seems quite reasonable for a baby and has grown up quite a bit as a character, being more empathetic for example. Also, Shining's friend, Spearhead, is rather interesting and i wish we get to see more of him later on. And most of all, DAT GROGAR REFERENCE! As much as i want him to show up, though, i'm afraid this season's final enemy will be Chrysalis once more, considering she's out to get Glimmy's flank. Anyway, not a bad episode, but not too great either, the whole thing could've been solved easier if Twi left Spike in care of Flurry, considering he can be the show's Only Sane Man at times. ("AM I THE ONLY SANE ONE IN THIS CRAZY WORLD OF TECHNICOLOR PONY WEIRDOS!?!" )
Image Image

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Enjoyed the new episodes, especially the newest one. More Maud is always welcome. c:
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Little bit of a mixed bag, but more good than bad.

Bad first so I can get the elephant out of the room: Pinkie got idiot ball'd. But that happens a lot, was far from the worst it's ever been, and was at least for an understandable reason, so it wasn't that big a deal.

Now, then. Pros:

- Another friend has joined Starlight's band of misfits. I guess she isn't part of the ReFourmed, but maybe a Secondary Six is under construction? Eh, Starlight has a new friend, anyway, and it's Maud. That's a thing, and not one I dislike. Having had time to let it sink in, incidentally, I guess I'm also on board with Trixie sticking around. I have to accept at this point that Starlight is a main character, so the hell with it. All hail our newish pink overlord and the stuff she brings with her. Like kites, apparently. All hail kites.

- Maud was brilliant as always, and it's interesting that she's living in Ponyville full time, now. And in a gem-encrusted cavern, no less. I'd have liked to explore that a little more, but maybe it'll show up again.

- The most blatant kind of fanservice or not, Lyra is now a rock and Derpy likes pizza.

- Not to pull a Seth, here, but ponies in pajamas is now the greatest thing of all time. The art community needs to be all over this yesterday.

- Returns by Ghastly Gorge and the Quarray Eels. As a side note, I didn't immediately recognize the name and thought we were getting a new location. This is completely unacceptable, considering May the Best Pet Win is one of my favorite episodes.

- Cameos by the Pie family.

- Undoubtedly things I'm forgetting.

Next week will be interesting. Fluttershy episodes tend to be at least okay, and G.M. Berrow is writing. Her last episode was hilarious, as I recall, so hopefully she keeps that momentum going.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Maud truly is best secondary character. I hope her living in Ponyville... excuse me, Ponyville adjacent... means she'll be making more frequent appearances.

ernesth100
EDF Soldier

Postby ernesth100 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:07 pm

Tbh The premiere was the most boring premiere of any season ever. But the episodes following sure are doing alot with the newer characters.
Every fan fic I've made so far http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 48#p624848
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDz...9FTHC6A/videos
I want Kong v Godzilla To Be like BvS but...y'know, better critically received. With Mothra filling the role of Wonder Woman and Ghidorah filling the role of Doomsday. Here's to hoping. :D

Calling It Now, GvKK, King Kong won't be an inch under 250 ft.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Wed May 03, 2017 9:19 am

I wasn't particularly thrilled with the premier either. It was a mixed bag at best. I liked the continuity, Thorax talking again, and the idea that Celestia is just Twilight with a really good public poker face, but Discord was episode-sinkingly annoying and it ultimately felt pointless since all its progress was reset at the very end.

Discord seems to polarize episodes for me. He does the same thing in most of them- pretend to be teaching a stealth lesson to Twilight as a cover for just toying with her- but the results have varied wildly. It worked in Three's a Crowd because he was immediately seen through, only humored out of good nature, and got his just desserts by the end, but the fact that he wasn't seen through and barely got scolded in What About Discord? was a big part in making it hands-down the worst episode. Celestial Advice was the same story to a lesser degree. At least he wasn't as outright malicious this time. Because skreeonk I hate What About Discord?

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 pm

A decent one, seems like an answer to season 2's infamous "A Friend in Deed". You just can't force friendship to random people. Anyway, Maud was sweet as always and it's great to see she's bonding with Glimmy, but i really wanna see more development for the rest of the Pie family. Glad to see the quarray eels making a cameo, but i still hope we get some more new monsters for the bestiary. And nice world-building with that secret, underground lost world, hope we see more of it.
Image Image

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sat May 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Meh. Not bad, but forgettable. It was nice to see (again, I guess...) that Fluttershy is now well and truly over her assertiveness issues, but the execution was questionable, considering she pretty much just yelled until she got her way. But the animal sanctuary is a cool addition to Ponyville, so it's all good. And I never thought we'd see Dr. Fauna or Big Daddy McColt again, so their appearances were welcome.

The real takeaway here, though, is that there was a tire swing in the sanctuary. Have we ever seen a vehicle with tires in the show before? Where did that come from? :lol:

EDIT:

Forever Filly was okay. Nothing remarkable, but the moral was a good one. It can be easy to overlook just how fast kids age. Also, there was Zippoorwill, or however her name is spelled. Another pony I never expected to see again.

Parental Glidance was more significant, of course, for finally bringing Dash's parents into the show. Their cringe humor bogged the episode down pretty badly, but I didn't dislike them overall. That said, Dash being made the bad guy for finally getting fed up with how impossibly grating they were was wrong. Well-intentioned and a good influence on her childhood or not, they were interfering with her ability to do her job/favorite thing in the world, completely missing the fact that she didn't want or need their cheerleading anymore, and refusing to take hints. They needed the verbal smackdown, even if Dash probably could've handled it more gracefully.

Also of note were the return of Scootaloo the Fairweather Fan, and her cryptic comment about her lack of support growing up. Does this indicate that she is, in fact, an orphan? Or are her parents simply jerks? Either way, I'm kind of glad they left that unanswered. That mystery has always (for the fandom, anyway) been a key part of Scootaloo's character.

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Mon May 15, 2017 12:19 pm

*Fluttershy Leans In: Not bad, not bad, Flutters keeps becoming a more capable pony, still wanna see an episode where she has to deal with her fear of adult dragons properly. And it'd been nice if those three ponies stuck around to see Flutter's ideas for the sanctuary were the best ones and learn how to properly work with a client that has a vision rather than have them get fired and disappear right after their true personalities were exposed. Oh well. But most of all, GIRAFFES ARE CANON! Sadly, they're not a sentient species, which is kinda jarring considering the show's crew has firmly stated only hooved animals like the ponies themselves can speak. Definitely what Tv Tropes calls a "Flip-Flop of God". The return of Dr. Fauna and Big Daddy McColt were welcome additions.

*Forever Filly: A good moral, indeed, nice to see more bonding between Rares and Sweets, and i also liked the return of Zipoorwhill and how her subplot directly parallels the main story between Rarity and Sweetie Belle. Other than that, it was alright.

*Parental Glideance: It was great to finally see Rainbow's parents in the flesh, but RD being portrayed as the bad guy for angrily yelling at them because of their constant over-doting ways was quite off-putting. She had all the reason to call them out on such behavior, but i do admit she could've been somewhat less furious over it. Also, i liked to see Lightning Dust and Cloud Chaser among others as fillies in that montage. Opens up plenty of possibilities for fanfic writers. So does Scoot's reference to having no support as a younger filly.
Image Image

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:19 am

New episode was great. Some funny moments with the Princesses, and Daybreaker was awesome.

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

Return to “Media Center”