My little Pony: Friendship is magic

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: My little Pony: Friendship is magic

Postby eabaker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:26 pm

JAGzilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Joanna Lewis. She's married to one of the editors I work with.

Oh, and MLP did end up coming up in conversation. She talked about some German college students who post videos of themselves watching the show, and how they cried at the end of the first episode she worked on.

Ah. Castle Sweet Castle would've been her first episode, I think. Yeah, some crying would be understandable; it was a pretty emotional ending, from what I remember. It was rough, losing the library...

She said it was really an eye-opening experience for her. As a writer, you really have to invest in the emotion of any story, but it's easy to forget that the audience's hope is to have that same level of involvement.

Also, she's a super nice person, and was very apologetic that the margaritas she made were kind of bitter. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:43 am

Regarding past episode, first i gotta say...

HOLY SKREEEONK! PREHISTORIC CREATURES ARE OFFICIALLY CANON! Well, Ponyfied, at least, but still.
Anyway, the whole thing was quite sweet. Gabriella's got an adorable design and the way the CMC dealt with the issue was quite fine. Glad to see more friendly griffins.
Image Image

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:27 am

Well, I've fallen further behind then at any point since the first season. And I'm so far gone that I'm not even properly ashamed of it. "It's just a show," I keep thinking. What have I become? :cry:

But yeah, circumstances finally stopped getting in the way, and I was able to catch Buckball Season and Viva Las Pegasus today. The former was okay, if a little more... artificial feeling than most episodes. Nice use of Snails, though. And the latter did some much-needed world-building; kid-friendly Vegas actually seems like the kind of place Equestria would have more than one of. It was nice to see Flim and Flam brought back in a decent role, and some of the new characters were amusing. I particularly liked the 'combining genres' scene. :lol: And Glad Mane being the villain was so (relatively) subtle early on that I actually didn't catch it; props to the writer for that. And we finally got the much-needed AppleShy episode that Bats was supposed to be.

So now I have to get to Fault in our Cutie Marks. I wouldn't have expected a Crusader ep by a writer with a questionable history to get much positive response, but that's the impression I'm getting so far. Interesting.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:50 pm

Good episode. Glad Stone was an interesting antagonist, and it was nice to see Flim and Flam use their skills for good for once. Also, couldn't help but think of Discord during the part where Glad Stone was talking about how he benefited from the ponies working for him fighting with each other.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...

gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide

Holy poop man.

My DA

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:56 pm

Viva Las Pegasus was real fun. It's always interesting to see the show's take on real life places/cultures, and Glad Mane was a cool character. And I think this makes Flim & Flam the antagonists with the most unrepentant appearances so far, huh? Though I guess they weren't really antagonists in this one. Still, they've held out longer than Trixie, Gilda, and the likes.

Speaking of returning characters...

Iron Will really needs another episode. He got a weirdly bad rap in his debut when he really didn't do much more than be overenthusiastic. He was perfectly reasonable when just talked to, but Rarity and Pinkie still kept calling him a monster, which was... oddly judgmental.

And Suri Polomare could also be a good returning antagonist for Rarity.

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:10 am

Just watched Viva Las Pegasus, and, gotta say, pretty amusing! Some more needed World Building, and it's great to see what a kid-friendly Vegas would be like. That, and more interaction between AJ and Flutters is always welcome. Gotta love how it ended on a somewhat bittersweet note, because, even if Gladmane was defeated, the Flim Flam bros are back to the baddie bussiness.
Image Image

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:50 am

Well this was an entertaining episode. I'm glad Starlight learned such a good lesson today, and the episode itself was funny.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:40 pm

I think this episode is pretty telling of Starlight as a character. She's essentially pre-series/series premier Twilight with more violent qualities. She's afraid of social interaction instead of just uncaring, she's unyielding instead of just stubborn, and she's controlling instead of just persnickety. And she relies on magic almost entirely rather than prioritizing it.

I also liked that the others held some anger at her before forgiving her, that was refreshing to see.

I was worried about this episode after No Second Prances, but it was a perfectly fine. A good one in fact!

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Postby H-Man » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:46 pm

EQUESTRIA GIRLS - LEGEND OF EVERFREE debuted on Brazilian TV tonight. I had enjoyed the last three, so I was looking forward to watching this with my daughter. Sadly, it felt so unnecessary and cynical to me, rehashing elements from the previous films that made them work for the sake of creating new dolls. One can argue the others were like that, but the writers created a wonderfully complete character arc for Sunset Shimmer. First, she's a villain and is saved by Twilight Sparkle. Then she redeems herself in the eyes of her peers. Finally, she saves her world's Twilight Sparkle much in the same way that the other one had saved her. The films could've ended there and I would've been happy. This was just meh.

LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Postby LegendZilla » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:27 pm

I would say the next Equestria Girls movie should be about graduation.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:13 am

Finally got to The Fault in our Cutie Marks. One of the better episodes of the season, and a high-end CMC episode overall.

Pros:

- I already knew about Gabby going in, but new griffon characters are always extraordinarily welcome regardless. She was adorable, too, that helped. And she's the Fifth Crusader; wouldn't have expected that, but I'm not exactly opposed to the idea.

- It was nice to see that the Crusaders have finally acquired a positive reputation in Ponyville, even enough to be considered the local cutie mark experts, with people actively going to them for help. I like that they've branched out to spreading 'Crusader Values', too, as opposed to focusing on the marks exclusively.

- Song. Nothing too remarkable, but likable enough.

Very Small Con:

- The story felt just a little stretched out, with some of Gabby's celebrations drawn out to fill time. She repeated herself quite a bit.

Misc.:

Am I the only one who initially misunderstood the opening scene and thought Sweetie and Apple Bloom were talking to Scootaloo's parents? I was all excited for a second, there. :lol:

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:59 pm

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

RHF
Samurai

Postby RHF » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:21 pm

It's quite amazing how long I've been gone, but this thread is still standing to this day.

I'll admit my interest in the franchise has dwindled a bit, about the only thing I follow is the show and movies, tried the comics but didn't want to add another series to collect when I'm already on something, and only ever bought the first launch of the toys way back when the first season was fresh, but I still enjoy the show and go to the panel for it at Comic con every year.

So far this season has been good, I enjoy the addition of Starlight glimmer, though some episodes were a strong miss, like the D&D themed episode.
For great justice, and fruit pies!

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:03 pm

Alright, let's see what we got here:
Every Little Thing She Does: Decent, not bad, but still pretty much a rehash of Lesson Zero. Would've been nice to see Twilight using a Canterlot voice of her own. And it's great to see more character development for Starlight, who seemingly still has trouble leaving behind her villainous past.
PPOV: Quite enjoyable, loved how the show dealt with the Rashomon-esque formula and the introduction of the new monster, the Bunyip of Australian folklore. On the other hand, as much as i liked a new monster for the bestiary, its appereance pretty much came out of the blue (no pun intended) and didn't really add much to the whole feud.
Image Image

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:01 pm

I liked this episode. Was interesting to see the perspectives of Rara, AJ, and Pinks, I loved the little nod to the Rarity vs Crab joke, and I enjoyed the introduction of the Bunyip.

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:47 pm

It's so goddamn cute.

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:45 am

No spoilers, but the next two episodes were just plain awesome.

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:56 pm

Some thoughts on Legend of Everfree...
- Out-of-place romance, bland songs, and cringy material? Man, feels a lot like the first movie.
- Why is Twilight such a dude magnet in this world? And how old is Timber? He doesn't look like he's young enough to hit on a high school girl, but I guess he could be just out of it himself or something since no one seems alarmed. Or maybe this is just a world of pedo, I dunno.
- Weird how human Filthy Rich is such a douche when pony Filthy Rich is okay if inattentive.
- Wait... Pinkie's powers are to make sugar EXPLODE? Holy poop. Sounds like something the Mentally Advanced Series version of the character would appreciate. Imagine assassinating someone with just a cupcake.
- Wow, things are going full Super Sentai all of a sudden. I mean, they have in all the movies really, but this is really a step up.

You know what? That was okay. Better than movie one, but not as good as number three.

(And Rainbow Rocks is my guilty passion, so it obviously doesn't come close).

As for the leaked finale...

Well, I won't say anything specific to avoid spoilers for anyone who wants to see it legitimately, but MAN I think I enjoyed it more than I have any episodes in a good long while. Some really interesting concepts and character combos. Really, really strong end to season six.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:28 am

All right, the long chain of my brother's poorly-scheduled soccer games getting in the way of new episodes has finally been broken. We watched the whole four-episode mareathon this morning.

Every Little Thing She Does: Idiot ball heavy, but better than the last Starlight episode and had plenty to laugh at. The situation-appropriate Spider-Man reference was appreciated, too.

P.P.O.V.: Hilarious, even if the story's resolution might've been handled better. Also, I can appreciate a good trolling. The writers clearly knew that we were expecting seaponies to have been the ones to save the day, and had Spike building suspense for the rescue scene. Bastards. :lol: There was a bunyip, though, so that's cool.

Where The Apple Lies: Am I the only one that was kind of hoping this would be the 'Granny Smith dies' episode, based on the title? What we got was good, though. Yay for flashbacks. It's kind of sad, though... Mac getting a lot of dialogue doesn't feel like much of an event, anymore.

Top Bolt: A 'solving guest-characters' problems' episode, more or less. Nothing to write home about, either way.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:37 pm

Wow. Applejack was an angry, scrawny little teen, huh?

Return to “Media Center”