My little Pony: Friendship is magic

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Re: My little Pony: Friendship is magic

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:29 pm

In the interest of being fair, Applejack said that pranking Fluttershy specifically was lazy. Which is true; it's not like that's usually going to be a challenge.

And as for Pinkie not being against pranking Fluttershy, it should be mentioned that Fluttershy has come a long way since Season 1. Yeah, she still scares easily, but she's capable of dealing with it, now. S1 Fluttershy would've hid under her bed for a month if Dash had pulled anything like the opening prank from this episode. Pinkie's perceptive enough to have picked up on the change.

Can't argue with the cookie prank being a bad idea, though.

ernesth100
EDF Soldier

Postby ernesth100 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:28 am

Liked that prank. Could've been a great arc. Walking Dead style, if it spread over all of Equstria.
Every fan fic I've made so far http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 48#p624848
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDz...9FTHC6A/videos
I want Kong v Godzilla To Be like BvS but...y'know, better critically received. With Mothra filling the role of Wonder Woman and Ghidorah filling the role of Doomsday. Here's to hoping. :D

Calling It Now, GvKK, King Kong won't be an inch under 250 ft.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:31 am

So we wait four years, and they give one of the fandom's most anticipated episodes to an untested new writer. One who seems to know the series by reputation more that having a real understanding of how it works. Because this was possibly the most simplistic, under-developed, clunky, and frankly babyish wastes of an episode they've done yet.

Thorax: "Most changelings are snarling monsters, but I just want fweinds!"

Spike: "Okay! I love you!"

Everybody Else: "Changelings = Bad!"

Spike: *song*

Everybody Else: "Okay! We love you! Here's the baby you were just snarling at!"

Thorax: "Yay! I'm gonna go tell the other changelings!"

Was that really the best they could do? *sigh* Chrysalis had better mess this up for everybody in the finale, that's all I can say.

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Great episode. I rather enjoyed the conflict, and I thought it was all well-done. Definitely becoming a fan of Thorax, and it was cool to get a glimpse into a Changeling's life.

Still hyped for Dungeons and Discords, though.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...

gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide

Holy poop man.

My DA

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:09 pm

I'm just relieved that they didn't pull a No Second Prances and make Twilight a vindictive jerk.

I think this will go down as one of the episodes I just forget exists unless Thorax and other changelings make a return.

Speaking of, they named Chrysalis on-screen! Yay! She should return as a villain. She's the only rival Twi has left.
"Nooooooooooooooo poop, Sherlock~."

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:07 am

All right, faith = restored. I'm always nervous going into Discord episodes, because he can be unbearable when written wrong, but they did very well with him here. He got to interact with characters he normally wouldn't, which was a nice change of pace, and got a chance to (almost) slip back into his old ways again without it feeling forced. Spike was great, too, as he usually is in supporting roles. And Mac screentime is always welcome, of course.

Also, Dungeons and Dragons. I know nothing about it, but that didn't stop the episode from being the most entertaining we've had in a while. The fandom will get a lot of use out of it, too, I'm sure.

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:24 am

skreeonking loved this episode. It was hilarious, and Discord was just awesome. Also him getting pissy over the game not going his way was funny. My favorite episode of this season so far, basically.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:14 pm

I'm very happy to say I enjoyed this episode a lot after a few... well, not quite misses. Just kinda forgettable ones.

I was worried because it seemed like it could end like the kart and zombie episodes where plot was a poor vehicle for the concept.

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:35 am

I liked the new episode. I thought it was quite fun, and had some pretty entertaining moments. Snails was surprisingly funny.

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:31 pm

Episode was fine, but... it felt like they used Fluttershy just because there wasn't another pegasus in the Mane Six. She felt out of place.

Nice use of Snails though.

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:55 am

Phew! Wasn't able to catch with the past two episodes. Too many Uni homework. Now that i have seen them, i'll give a quick veredict before jumping into the latest one.
*The Times They are a Changeling: So-so. We got a good look at changeling culture, life cycle and larval stage, and Thorax himself is alright. Spike's solo song was sweet, but him saving the entire day all because of it was rather rushed and jarring.
*Dungeons and Discords: Pretty amusing! Albeit i kinda wish we got some more of the DnD parody and a lot more monsters rather than just a living card of an evil cephalopod and its undead minions.

Now for this one, it was pretty fine, and had some really interesting background characters. Who could have imagined Flutters had natural hability for a sport she didn't know. And Snails turned out to be quite useful despite his perpetual stupidity. Now they gotta redeem Snips later.
Image Image

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:03 pm

#BringBackFanartFriday

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Postby KaijuFiend » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:40 am

I loved the Changeling episode. Spike's song was very heartwarming, and the glimpses into Changeling life were long-overdue. I'd been wondering about Changelings for a long time, wondering if Twilight had doomed them to starve. Which, does seem to be the case, though I definitely don't think Twilight was wrong in any of her actions. I'm glad a solution to the starvation issue is being worked on. It's just a shame it'll probably be a long time before Changelings are brought to the forefront again, if at all. The interesting plot threads FiM brings up are always criminally underused.

Case in point: The next two episodes are a DnD parody and a sports episode. I did find both to be enjoyable, at least. It's good to see Discord finally branch out and make a couple more friends, and Snails being good at Buck Ball was both clever and amusing.

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:52 pm

New episode was just plain cute. Gabby was an enjoyable character, and the lesson that was taught was a pretty good one.

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Postby KaijuFiend » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Gabby was very sweet, and what an interesting way to present the CMC with a problem they couldn't really solve! I quite like the solution they did come up with, too :)

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:01 am

Such delicious, delicious continuity in this one. And it was a pretty swell episode to boot!

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:27 am

I have never seen an episode of the show. However, I'll be hanging out with one of the writers today, so I figured I'd read a bit of the thread and see if I could gain an understanding of the show, just on the (highly unlikely) chance that it comes up in conversation. So, thanks for having some interesting comments on recent episodes, guys!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:14 am

eabaker wrote:I have never seen an episode of the show. However, I'll be hanging out with one of the writers today, so I figured I'd read a bit of the thread and see if I could gain an understanding of the show, just on the (highly unlikely) chance that it comes up in conversation. So, thanks for having some interesting comments on recent episodes, guys!

Cool. Out of curiosity, which writer?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:59 am

JAGzilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:I have never seen an episode of the show. However, I'll be hanging out with one of the writers today, so I figured I'd read a bit of the thread and see if I could gain an understanding of the show, just on the (highly unlikely) chance that it comes up in conversation. So, thanks for having some interesting comments on recent episodes, guys!

Cool. Out of curiosity, which writer?

Joanna Lewis. She's married to one of the editors I work with.

Oh, and MLP did end up coming up in conversation. She talked about some German college students who post videos of themselves watching the show, and how they cried at the end of the first episode she worked on.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:24 pm

eabaker wrote:
Joanna Lewis. She's married to one of the editors I work with.

Oh, and MLP did end up coming up in conversation. She talked about some German college students who post videos of themselves watching the show, and how they cried at the end of the first episode she worked on.

Ah. Castle Sweet Castle would've been her first episode, I think. Yeah, some crying would be understandable; it was a pretty emotional ending, from what I remember. It was rough, losing the library...

Return to “Media Center”