Woah. An... interesting episode? A hell of a lot happened, certainly. Um... yeah, I'll definitely need to see it again to get a real, critical opinion of it. What I can definitely say for now:
- Twilight being Best Pony. At long, bloody last, one of her insane theories is true, and she leads the counterattack to save Equestria. Good stuff.
- Awesome new monsters. I was sort of hoping for Discord, but the Changlings were good, too. And we got a villain song from their Queen.
- The Mane Six beating the tobacco juice out of said monsters. And the Party Cannon returns!
- Celestia finally protecting her subjects. Sure, she lost, but at least she put up a fight this time.
- Luna cameos!
- Scratch cameo!
- Lyra speaks! And is brainwashed.
- Shining Armor and his forcefield spells. He seems like a reasonably cool dude. I hope we see more of him someday.
- A lot of stuff I'm forgetting or is too minor to mention.
- Twilight's songs were annoying. Which isn't something I say often with this show. They'll probably grow on me with repeat viewings, though.
- The overall plot... I don't know. I couldn't care too much about Cadence and SA's love story. It might've helped if we'd met them in an earlier episode and gotten to know them better. Cadence was also... kind of bland and generic. Nothing really stood out about her, besides her love for SA, which again might've been more meaningful if we weren't meeting them for the first time here. But the writers did a good job with the story, considering, so I'm not going to outright call this a 'Con'. And as always, I'm sure my opinion will improve with time and more viewings.
All in all, I'd call this a worthy season finale. Not perfect by any means, but it did what it needed to. 4.5/5 and Upper-Mid Tier, for now.
"You know it's good advice when you're still confused afterwards." -Michelangelo