Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
User avatar
Maverick Centigrade
Kwaidan
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 pm
Location: Hargenteen

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby Maverick Centigrade » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Gyaos wrote:Coyote Tango's color scheme at the end of that gif greatly resembles Gipsy Danger's. I think I recall seeing an army star and air force wings somewhere on his body too. Was he intended to be a US Jaeger at some point?


Del Toro once said Tango was an American made Jaeger, but stationed in Japan.
So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

User avatar
Hipster Thor
Futurian
Posts: 1768
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm
Location: Who wants to know? ;)
Contact:

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby Hipster Thor » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:15 pm

G2000 wrote:/\ With the possible exeception of the insurance company, I like all of those (especially the Construction Jeagers), but didn't del Toro say he didn't want any propaganda or "military recruitment aesthetics"? Then again, that's your idea and not his...



Then maybe he shouldn't have put so much insane emphasis on propaganda materials to promote the film.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."

It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.

Let's dance.
Image

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

20th Century Boy
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3615
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby 20th Century Boy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Svitska Donkun wrote:
G2000 wrote:/\ With the possible exeception of the insurance company, I like all of those (especially the Construction Jeagers), but didn't del Toro say he didn't want any propaganda or "military recruitment aesthetics"? Then again, that's your idea and not his...



Then maybe he shouldn't have put so much insane emphasis on propaganda materials to promote the film.

I don't think that was his decision to make..

User avatar
W2daERN
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:57 am

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby W2daERN » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Some good ideas up there. I had a pretty good idea for a possible scene in a sequel.

With all the jaegers destroyed, humanity is caught off guard by a second kaiju invasion. Some military guys are evacuating a city being attacked by 3 kaiju and are about to clear out when some voices come over the radio and tell them to keep evacuating. The commander explains that the city is doomed and asks them who they are to tell them to stay in it. The response?

"Newton Geiszler and Hermann Gottlieb, acting co-pilots of Delta Prodigal"

"What? You have a jaeger?"

"Something like that..."

*a kaiju with mechanical armor, plasmacasters, and a giant drift harness rises out of the ocean*
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

User avatar
G2000
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3066
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: The Confederate States of America

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby G2000 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Svitska Donkun wrote:
G2000 wrote:/\ With the possible exeception of the insurance company, I like all of those (especially the Construction Jeagers), but didn't del Toro say he didn't want any propaganda or "military recruitment aesthetics"? Then again, that's your idea and not his...



Then maybe he shouldn't have put so much insane emphasis on propaganda materials to promote the film.


As 20th Century Boy said, I don't think that was his call to make....but I digress. Personally, I love (fictional) propaganda: recruitment posters, commercials, and the like. I think it adds a very realistic feel to a rather fantastic situation.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4558
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:53 pm

The problem with the construction jaegers is that giant mechs would take a LOT of money to build. It could work if they were cheep and/or 30 meters tall, but then begs the question: why not use the money to make a small army of 30 meter jaegers? You could take a lot of Kaiju out that way, especially if they were shooting it while a larger jaeger like Gypsy had the kaiju preoccupied in melee.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 5250
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:31 am

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby Captain Aktion » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:07 pm

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Why bother with mechs at all if we're going that route? Just put plasma casters on a tank or something.

(also what you're suggesting would be a lot harder to put on screen)


Or the sword. Like, a whole bunch of them.

The weird thing to me about the wall failing is that they seemingly just intended it to be a wall...What about a wall loaded down with plasma casters (which are shown to kill kaiju)? It's not really a plot-hole to me since the wall isn't the plot, but it does give me a bit of "disbelief whiplash".
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

User avatar
Hipster Thor
Futurian
Posts: 1768
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm
Location: Who wants to know? ;)
Contact:

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby Hipster Thor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:18 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:The problem with the construction jaegers is that giant mechs would take a LOT of money to build. It could work if they were cheep and/or 30 meters tall, but then begs the question: why not use the money to make a small army of 30 meter jaegers? You could take a lot of Kaiju out that way, especially if they were shooting it while a larger jaeger like Gypsy had the kaiju preoccupied in melee.


Well for one thing, I mentioned they don't have drift technology because of the cost. I would imagine that they would be made from recycled dead Jaeger in Oblivion Bay, or just made cheaply from scratch as they aren't built for combat, just service. Furthermore, it doesn't really matter, you just have to accept it, same with actual Jaeger a they're impossible scientifically and financially. It's really a mute point.

I also had the idea that in my version of Pacific Rim, North Korea no longer exists. They didn't ally with the PPDC, and decided to build their own half-hazard Jaeger, and when a Kaiju attacked, the Jaeger had a meltdown, exploded, and irradiated the whole country.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."

It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.

Let's dance.
Image

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

User avatar
Hipster Thor
Futurian
Posts: 1768
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm
Location: Who wants to know? ;)
Contact:

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby Hipster Thor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:44 am

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

Why do I imagine that happening in the canon....


Because, despite what everyone may think of me, I'm good at what I do.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."

It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.

Let's dance.
Image

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

User avatar
gzilla46
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3734
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby gzilla46 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm hoping to get it on Christmas. I have to say, the effects put a lot of CG monster movies to shame (except Jurassic Park). I remember when Roland Emmerich was so proud of Godzilla. He was like, "Hey, look, I have a monster that's bigger than the Empire State building".
Guillermo Del Toro comes in and he says, "Yeah, well, I have about 50 of them, bub".

That's how good the effects are.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

20th Century Boy
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3615
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby 20th Century Boy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:21 pm

gzilla46 wrote:I'm hoping to get it on Christmas. I have to say, the effects put a lot of CG monster movies to shame (except Jurassic Park). I remember when Roland Emmerich was so proud of Godzilla. He was like, "Hey, look, I have a monster that's bigger than the Empire State building".
Guillermo Del Toro comes in and he says, "Yeah, well, I have about 50 of them, bub".

That's how good the effects are.

Emmerich's monster wasn't bigger than the Empire State Building, though.

User avatar
gzilla46
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3734
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby gzilla46 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:23 pm

20th Century Boy wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:I'm hoping to get it on Christmas. I have to say, the effects put a lot of CG monster movies to shame (except Jurassic Park). I remember when Roland Emmerich was so proud of Godzilla. He was like, "Hey, look, I have a monster that's bigger than the Empire State building".
Guillermo Del Toro comes in and he says, "Yeah, well, I have about 50 of them, bub".

That's how good the effects are.

Emmerich's monster wasn't bigger than the Empire State Building, though.

I know. It was an exaggeration.

Point is, the effects were better than most modern creature features.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Plexton
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2296
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:33 am
Location: Air Conditioner

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby Plexton » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:09 pm

I just finished watching Pacific Rim for the 9th time, this time with del Toro's commentary playing over the movie. I have to say, it really is the best commentary I've ever heard for a film; he goes over absolutely every aspect of the design, the characterization, the effects work, and his own personal thoughts. It's especially entertaining when del Toro completely 'geeks out' and starts talking in depth about the original Godzilla and all the people who made that film so amazing, with their attention to detail and their commitment to making the film a classic. I definitely recommend checking out the commentary.

20th Century Boy
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3615
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby 20th Century Boy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Plexton wrote:I just finished watching Pacific Rim for the 9th time, this time with del Toro's commentary playing over the movie. I have to say, it really is the best commentary I've ever heard for a film; he goes over absolutely every aspect of the design, the characterization, the effects work, and his own personal thoughts. It's especially entertaining when del Toro completely 'geeks out' and starts talking in depth about the original Godzilla and all the people who made that film so amazing, with their attention to detail and their commitment to making the film a classic. I definitely recommend checking out the commentary.

I liked how he mentioned Ultraseven and Dan Moroboshi. You rarely hear THAT on a commentary for a widely available DVD of a big-budget Hollywood movie! :P

User avatar
PopInPicsPresents
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5469
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 am
Contact:

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:42 pm

gzilla46 wrote:Point is, the effects were better than most modern creature features.


Comparing the CG creature effects in Pacific Rim to any other CG creature effects is hardly fair.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.


Mama Birdon is bae


Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

User avatar
gzilla46
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3734
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby gzilla46 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:35 pm

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:Point is, the effects were better than most modern creature features.


Comparing the CG creature effects in Pacific Rim to any other CG creature effects is hardly fair.

Of course, Jurassic Park is still the champ. I meant MODERN creature features. Godzilla movies are not part of that debate. I just mean the creature features that America has made.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

User avatar
Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper
Posts: 1228
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:59 pm

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Postby Ligerzilla2014 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:14 pm

Where can I find this commentary? I bought the Blu-Ray combo pack at Best Buy and got the special feature disc, is it on that?

Smuggers
G-Grasper
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pacific Rim (now with spoilers--threads merged, so bewar

Postby Smuggers » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:42 pm

gzilla46 wrote:Of course, Jurassic Park is still the champ

In terms of CGI, no.

User avatar
Gojira1963
Futurian
Posts: 1718
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:33 pm
Location: Under the Bodhi tree
Contact:

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Postby Gojira1963 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:03 pm

ligerzilla2014 wrote:Where can I find this commentary? I bought the Blu-Ray combo pack at Best Buy and got the special feature disc, is it on that?


The commentary is on the main disc the movie is on. There is a special features section on the main disc the commentary is in that special features section.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Mr. X
Keizer
Posts: 8357
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:41 pm
Location: █████████ 「REDACTED」

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Postby Mr. X » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Image
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.

He's given up

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg

http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests