The War of the Worlds (1953)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
DaikaijuSokogeki!
G-Grasper

Re: The War of the Worlds (1953)

Postby DaikaijuSokogeki! » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:07 pm

alienhulk2099 wrote:3. In something called War of The Worlds why would you only be expecting one planet as a battlefield? It's a war of WORLDS. As in MORE THAN ONE. I like the Asylum sequel because it gave the title it's full potential.

It's figurative, AH. It's the entirety of Mars' attack force invading Earth. Two worlds at war. Durh.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
G-Grasper

Postby DaikaijuSokogeki! » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:14 pm

alienhulk2099 wrote:
It's figurative, AH. It's the entirety of Mars' attack force invading Earth. Two worlds at war. Durh.

I fail at getting things from hidden meaning/figurative stand points, I admit it. :(

You have no idea how much this explains things, AH.

Anywho, I really don't remember this film seeing as how I haven't seen it in several years. I remember thinking it was pretty good stuff, with outstanding SPFX. I've never seen the remake or the Asylum films, and I've never really wanted to.

I have read the book, and that was a really boring read IMO. Orson Welles' radio show kicks the most ass out of all of the adaptations, though.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Kwaidan

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:10 pm

alienhulk2099 wrote:

I fail at getting things from hidden meaning/figurative stand points, I admit it. :(

That fact became conspicuously evident when you said that Dr. Strangelove is not a satire.
Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Physician

goji89 wrote:Guess I'll leave, this place isn't what it used to be.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Postby Showa Gyaos » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:18 pm

wataru, remember what you told me in the Sexy Women Thread? You are currently derailing my thread. :P
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

bananaoil
Interpol Agent

Postby bananaoil » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:53 am

Godzilla 1995 wrote:Aimlessly? He's trying to get back to his wife throughout the entire book, and the tripods are part of the obstacles in his way.

Of course I'm exaggerating, but a truly authentic adaptation would get real tedious once our un-named protagonist hits the countryside for his stroll. Besides the incredibly low budget, poor acting, and deficient cinematography and cgi, there's a reason Timothy Hine's War of the Worlds was do dull; it strived too hard to be authentic. Sure, I'm all for a big budget War of the Worlds film set in the late 1800s, but serious changes must be made in the screenplay before it can work as a film.

And I'm sorry, but I vastly prefer this:

Yes, yes, yes, you prefer the tripod version in Spielberg's film. That in no way invalidates the iconic nature of the manta design.
Daikaiju is better with rainbows!!!

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Postby Mini-Godzilla » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Great spaceship designs, decent ending, overall mediocre adaptation. Still a classic, but nowhere near the best of its time.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Ethan
G-Grasper

Postby Ethan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:24 pm

wataru wrote:Check out the WOTW TV series. Its not stellar but its enjoyable.

Apparently the manta ships are on this one too.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Monster Zero
EDF Soldier

Postby Monster Zero » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:15 pm

I love this movie! it's better than the 2005 version.
Resized Image
Hey You! Do you like Comics?! Me too! Which is why I Partnered With my Best Friend to Create a Comic that we Love to Make! It's Called "Roomies!"
https://tapas.io/series/RoomiesofGuyCity
Please Check it Out if You're Interested!
And here's the official Twitter page! Give us a follow for updates, please!
https://twitter.com/RoomiesComic

Starsteam
Keizer

Postby Starsteam » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:57 am

Wot a bump, sir.

I saw this movie at the end of my childhood and it's what got me into sci-fi. So it holds a pretty special place in my collection.

20th Century Boy
EDF Soldier

Postby 20th Century Boy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:07 am

I really need to see this movie again. The sound effects were classic!

Mincecraft
G-Grasper

Postby Mincecraft » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:11 pm

I re-watched this a few years back. Still awesome. The Martian scene was actually kind of creepy to watch for some reason, probably because I hadn't seen it for the longest time.

I'm one of those rooting for a more faithful adaptation, especially since it can be done. Hopefully in this lifetime.

MandaSaurus
Keizer

Postby MandaSaurus » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:37 am

This was on TV many times as I was growing up, so I do have a fondness for it.

fred25_ca
Yin-Yang Master

Postby fred25_ca » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:59 am

I never got why people wanted a war of the worlds adaptation that takes place in the late 1800's. Sure the book takes place back then but remember, it took place in PRESENT day when it was first published. H.G Wells was a very current author and the reason the book was so scary was because it could happen today. Orson Welles understood that, so did George Pal and Spielberg. I think putting the story in the past would go against Wells' whole point. It just wouldn't be terrifying anymore, IMO.

I love the book, the Orson Welles radio play, George Pal's and Spielberg's version. They all had something new to add, and they were all revelent at their releases.

Personally, the coolest version would have been if Ray Harryhausen had been able to make his own version with tripods and all like he tried to. I had the chance to have him tell me about the story when he came for a signing session to where i used to work and I was appointed to help him. One of my favorite memories! :)
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:54 am

Cool TV trailer for the original George Pal film from back in the day. 1987.

Both the George Pal, and Steven Speilberg takes on the seminal H.G. Wells tale of the invasion by aliens are quite awesome. Although the crap the Cruise/Speilberg joint seems to get the crap it does mostly because of blowback from some of Tom Cruise's personal antics. But the Tripods, from their first appearance, the way their heat rays wiped people from existence, to the rather haunting bellows of the horns, made for one scary presence, and contributed to the flicks rather grim atmosphere. The only thing I felt let down about in the 2005 film was the Morgan Freeman narration at the beginning and end. Was the man sounded rather bored in his reading of his lines. They should've had the bloke who voiced over the teaser trailer for the flick. He contributed a rather creepy vibe, and sounded a lot more enthused than Freeman did.

I know some here are exceptionally married to the idea of Ray Harryhausin's take on War of the Worlds, using stop motion to animate the Martians and their Tripods for the big screen. But looking at the test footage for the emergence of the Martians, the invaders looked more like guests that would menace Bug Bunny than the horrifying alien invaders H.G. Wells described in his book.

Also, as some may already know, the George Pal flick inspired two tv shows, one that didn't get past the pilot stage, and a syndicated one that lasted through two seasons. It wasn't until the first season came out on DVD to coincide with the release of the Speilberg flick that I got to see it finally. But I'm afraid to say I was a little let down with it upon finally getting to see it after having built up in my head after reading the novelization to the pilot. Which gives a whole lot of depth ,and back ground to our heroes on the Blackwood Project, and the motivations and plans of the aliens, now known as the Mor-Tax.
I'd recommend checking it out. It's available quite cheaply on Amazon.com.
"A wraith man ! A ghost ! A evil spirit-and it ain't cool !"

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Promos for the series premiere of the 1988 TV series.

Season One's "On The Next Episode..."

Season Two "The Second Invasion", and yes that's Optimus Prime doing the voice over.

Paramount promo advertising the ratings success of STAR TREK:The Next Generation, and the debut season of WAR OF THE WORLDS.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hqi9OVFi3AY/TWV4_DnTrfI/AAAAAAAAAD0/upgSfw-hjmY/s1600/war_worlds_sttng_promo_ad.jpg

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:52 pm

I saw one episode of the tv series, but it didn't impress me. The 53 film, however, remains a favorite.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought ypu gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:30 pm

Added in 29 seconds:
New WAR OF THE WORLDS TV series now in development at MTV from TEEN WOLF producer Jeff Rice, and writer Andrew Cochran. Produced by the production company the Firm, Jeff Kwantinez and Jeff Barry. The latter the grandson of Gene Barry, the star of the 1953 flick.
http://www.cbr.com/war-of-the-worlds-series-in-development-at-mtv/

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:02 pm

MTV? I'm not sure about this.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought ypu gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:17 am

Jeff Davis, the executive producer of MTV's TEEN WOLF , who's also working on adapting Let The Right One In for TNT, and the upcoming The War Of The Worlds on MTV. Talks a little about what he has in store for the Martians invading MTV.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/199880/teen-wolfs-new-title-sequence-revealed-jeff-davis-reflects-ending-show-starting-let-right-one-war-worlds/

Return to “Media Center”