Fantastic Four Reboot (2015)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Re: Fantastic Four Reboot (2015)

Postby Mr. Xeno » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:12 pm

three wrote:also, i am jumping for joy. we were right. this movie stunk as it built up, and is a heaping pile of garbage. but don't hate on us "fanboys" and there won't be any rubbing of the nose into the pile, catch my drift? ;)

Although there's nothing to run my nose in. :twisted: Back when I defended the film, I only defended it against things like racist comments about Michael B. Jordan's casting, or the straight up criminal allegations lodged against Trank. I never said the film was going to be good, I just said that we'd have to wait for the final film to judge.

And now that the final film itself is out, it turns out it's steaming pile of poop... but a completely different steaming pile of poop than what all the MCU "fanboys" claimed it would be, i.e. blogger Dr. Doom is nowhere to be seen, the cast ended up actually being rather solid, etc.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

three
Keizer

Postby three » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Mr. Xeno wrote:
three wrote:also, i am jumping for joy. we were right. this movie stunk as it built up, and is a heaping pile of garbage. but don't hate on us "fanboys" and there won't be any rubbing of the nose into the pile, catch my drift? ;)

Although there's nothing to run my nose in. :twisted: Back when I defended the film, I only defended it against things like racist comments about Michael B. Jordan's casting, or the straight up criminal allegations lodged against Trank. I never said the film was going to be good, I just said that we'd have to wait for the final film to judge.

And now that the final film itself is out, it turns out it's steaming pile of poop... but a completely different steaming pile of poop than what all the MCU "fanboys" claimed it would be, i.e. blogger Dr. Doom is nowhere to be seen, the cast ended up actually being rather solid, etc.

i'm sure i could find a way to rub it in, but i won't is all i'm saying. with that, lets not drag ourselves off topic.

did you see the movie yet or nah?
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!

Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - skreeonk in space.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:01 pm

NSZ wrote:Fox is sticking it's athlete's foot inflicted foot in its mouth, trying to outstupid Sony: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... /?a=123784

So even after all this they still plan on keeping FF? Like UltramanGoji said, for what, an X-Men movie? :freak:

It could also just be PR right now, so there's that. What's most important now is to see how it holds.

SoleMan wrote:Cool. I find the actual film business fascinating, and you're the best person on here to discuss it at that level with. Do you have any business ventures of your own, or what do you do? Just curious.

I don't have my own business now, although as a fun side note I would like to start my own film distribution company some day, specializing in Asian films. I doubt I'll get there given the questionable future of physical media. Oh well.
SoleMan wrote:I'm not saying necessarily that teh genre of Sci-Fi/Fantasy will disappear, but the whole "Brand movies" trend is starting to get old. It's not just Marvel and DC I'm tired of, it's anything that's an adaptation of a property that's been around for years. Look at what came out this summer: 3 Marvel movies (With a fourth on the way, right?) Jurassic Park, Terminator, Mission Impossible, and several others. Like The CinemaSins guy said: "You're flooding the market with nothing except these movies, and you're taking people's attendance of them as signs that they want more of them." Other kinds of movies can't even break into the market. Hell, Bird-Man didn't play in my hometown until after it won best picture, and even then just for a weekend. I take evidence of "foreign markets" as symptoms Americans don't really like the films: they can't sell 'em to Americans anymore, so they have to send them elsewhere. And I do think it's just a phase. People got tired of westerns, and now you can hardly find them anywhere. Everytime one comes out, it's usually really weird and doesn't go anywhere. People got tired of monster movies from the 50s. People got tired of Spy films from the 60s. People got tired of Slasher films from the 80s. They got tired of alternate reality Sci-Fi from the 90s. See a trend here?

Robot movies seem to be on the rise. I predict they'll be next!

Hollywood films have gotten exorbitantly expensive to produce, and with that it always helps Hollywood to have a well known name to use for the title card. Recognition can go a long way, as shown by the Transformers and Spider-Man franchises. Pacific Rim, CA: The First Avenger, and Ant-Man are each films you could compare with one of those franchises and as debut films they were doubtless "better". But they didn't have the big name (no name in PR's instance) so even those the latter two have proven successful, they didn't make lofty amounts of money either. An original film is not doomed from the onset, mind you. Just look at Avatar. But you have to have the right amount of hype built up, either through the marketing, technology/other achievement, or the names behind it (read: Nolan's Intersteller and Inception). Part of the issue is the lack of talent working with original sci-fi/fantasy too, which I talked about a bit elsewhere on TK. A lot of them just aren't that good, and if they're not really better than the movies with big name recognition, people will see what they know. The result is probably Hollywood seeing that they don't make as much money that way and reason that people don't want original stuff. Despite all the positive hype you could want on its quality, Fury Road will get nowhere near $400M globally while the awfully received but popular and hyped (for what's about) Fifty Shades of Grey ($569M, http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id ... ofgrey.htm) or the very well received and culturally relevant American Sniper ($547M, mostly, domestic, http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id ... sniper.htm) are box office titans among R films with production budgets far less than FR. And big budget films don't get much more unique than FR, even if it isn't technically "original". So while the CinemaSins individual has a point, I think there is indeed something to be said for familiarity as well. I summarize my personal thoughts as a combination of people liking familiarity and the lack of noteworthy original films. American movies have spectacle, even if they are not "good" movies in some cases, that few non-American films can replicate, and I think that drives a lot of foreign business; plus the foreign market has gotten so big that even if a movie does really well in the US it still often has a far higher foreign gross.

Anyway, I don't want to take this too OT but maybe TK would benefit from a thread on the subject of big-budget original films and Hollywood trends, etc.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

King Kong
Samurai

Postby King Kong » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:21 am

NSZ wrote:Fox is sticking it's athlete's foot inflicted foot in its mouth, trying to outstupid Sony: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... /?a=123784

Definite PR move.

Trank essentially publicly disowning the film, Landis posting pages of how he would have gone about it, and now FOX saying their pushing ahead with a sequel in spite of a tidal wave of negative.

Yeah, Michael Chiklis sums up the likelihood of that happening. ;)

Primevalgodzilla V2
EDF Soldier

Postby Primevalgodzilla V2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:56 am

ebirah_scampi wrote:
In my opinion the reason Marvel Studios is doing so well is because they do something different with each francise. Just this last phase we got a techno thriller in IM3, a science fiction/fantasy film in Thor 2, a political thriller in Cap 2, a space opera in Guardians, an ensemble action blockbuster in Ultron, and a heist film in Ant-Man.

Er not really.

Mild differences, but honestly it's just the same formula and tone film after film ever since the Avengers.

Marvel is the last company one would bring up for encouraging creativity. There's a reason why many filmmakers have expressed dissatisfaction on the 'Marvel formula' being imposed on them.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:24 am

Fantastic Four is further proof that word of mouth is stronger then ever today. I have a feeling the all female Ghostbusters will suffer a similar fate unless it's trailer is spectacular.

Even though nobody was really anticipating it, it was expecting to open 50$/60$ million opening but opened what at 26$ million? Sure what happened behind the scenes didn't help at all but word of mouth def stomped all over this film. Everybody was waiting for it and once it was confirmed it sucked nobody really bothered.

If this trend continues to happen, studio's might start taking better care of there franchises/characters or be risking a major flop.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:19 pm

I honestly don't understand why they are so desperate to hold on to a franchise that simply has not worked for them. Do they really not want Marvel to get the rights back that bad? Even Sony was smart enough to see the writing on the wall.
Rocker, Dinosaur nut, Cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, of you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

NSZ
E.S.P.Spy

Postby NSZ » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Do they really not want Marvel to get the rights back that bad?

Well, gee, considering that they decided that losing money was better than letting Marvel get the rights back...
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:45 pm

Marvel and Fox have always had a rocky relationship.

They were even scheduled to do a Daredevil movie (recently, in the X-Men universe) in exchange for the rights to Silver Surfer and Galactus (For use in Guardians), but Fox either asked for too much money or flat-out refused. In response, we got the TV show and the rest is history.
Check out my YouTube channel CinemaGoji for all things kaiju!

miguelnuva
Keizer

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:48 pm

It might not be Marvel, it.might be Fox not liking Disney.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I honestly don't understand why they are so desperate to hold on to a franchise that simply has not worked for them. Do they really not want Marvel to get the rights back that bad? Even Sony was smart enough to see the writing on the wall.

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if Fox is desperate to keep what they can to try and make a big MCU-rivaling super-franchise and hopes they can eventually do it somehow.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:13 pm

They can try all they want. Practically nobody wants another Fox headed F4 except Fox themselves.
Rocker, Dinosaur nut, Cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Postby Mr. Xeno » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:01 am

miguelnuva wrote:It might not be Marvel, it.might be Fox not liking Disney.

C'mon, who doesn't dislike Disney, at least on some level?

I honestly cannot believe that Fox would still go ahead with a sequel after this bombed so horribly. And to think that they were doing so freaking well with their comic book movies after how great the last three X-Men movies were. It's such a shame that a movie with as much potential has been so gutted (probably) because they simply can't let a director make a film.

Primevalgodzilla V2
EDF Soldier

Postby Primevalgodzilla V2 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:55 am

I doubt they will actually go through with the prequel.

There's no way they will admit they skreeonked up and they have no confidence in the franchise's future (which is most likely the case) just days after the premiere.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Postby Mr. Xeno » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:51 am

Easily both the best review and the one I've been waiting for.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Some interesting reading. A source close to producton reveals just what went wrong. Also proves how much of an apparent liar and skreeonk Trank really is. Guy basically tells the entire cast through e-mail that F4 was going to be one of the best super hero movies ever made only to disown own the movie and blame Fox for the failure after reviews didn't go his way. If true, god what a skreeonk.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/it-was-chaos ... 01966.html

miguelnuva
Keizer

Postby miguelnuva » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:02 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Some interesting reading. A source close to producton reveals just what went wrong. Also proves how much of an apparent liar and skreeonk Trank really is. Guy basically tells the entire cast through e-mail that F4 was going to be one of the best super hero movies ever made only to disown own the movie and blame Fox for the failure after reviews didn't go his way. If true, god what a skreeonk.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/it-was-chaos ... 01966.html

I figured Trank was to blame for most of this when he released that first tweet about his vision. Glad he's off Star Wars.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:27 am

Eh I have nothing against trank. A lot of people are hating him for being a loner who kind of did what he wanted to do I don't blame him. I blame the studio more for hiring him in the first place and giving him so much control until bringing in the reigns.
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

ebirah_scampi
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ebirah_scampi » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:05 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Eh I have nothing against trank. A lot of people are hating him for being a loner who kind of did what he wanted to do I don't blame him. I blame the studio more for hiring him in the first place and giving him so much control until bringing in the reigns.

Yeah Trank is just a mad dog, Fox is the one who let him off the leash.

Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Postby Mr. Xeno » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:21 am

This movie's history will make a fantastic documentary one day.

Return to “Media Center”