The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
21%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
28%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
18%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
1%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
1%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
4%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
8%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
5%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%

Total votes: 178

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:33 pm

I'm part of the collective Star Wars fandom and I'm enjoying myself!

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:01 pm

eabaker wrote:I'm so glad that I've never participated in the collective Star Wars fandom...

It really makes being a fan a lot easier.

Intreasting considering your hear discussing it with other fans. Sounds like apart of the collective.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:04 pm

miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:I'm so glad that I've never participated in the collective Star Wars fandom...

Intreasting considering your hear discussing it with other fans. Sounds like apart of the collective.

I'm discussing it on a Godzilla message board, not a Star Wars message board. I also talk about Star Wars in person with other fans all the time (easy to do, since a pretty overwhelming portion of the American population are Star Wars fans). That's not participating in the collective fandom, that's just being a fan and having conversations with other fans.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:12 pm

eabaker wrote:That's not participating in the collective fandom, that's just being a fan and having conversations with other fans.

That's what...participating in the collective fandom means? Interacting with other fans talking about the thing you're a fan of is being part of that collective fandom.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:28 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:That's not participating in the collective fandom, that's just being a fan and having conversations with other fans.

That's what...participating in the collective fandom means? Interacting with other fans talking about the thing you're a fan of is being part of that collective fandom.

No, that's just being an individual having conversations with other individuals. One who does not attend conventions, subscribe to fanzines, visit sites/boards/groups, or otherwise seek out collective experiences on the subject is not part of the collective fandom.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:46 pm

To be fair, though... by that definition, neither am I. Unless the collective is defined as a group of people in a non-Star Wars context that discuss Star Wars (like here), that doesn't apply to me (not for almost a decade), nor the majority of Star Wars fans that I know. And, dare I say it, a lot of the people involved in these enormous arguments and other things being associated with the collective fandom also wouldn't fit that description either. So I'm not sure that the distinction between the two applies, as the negatives are not contained to only a specific group that does the things described.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:45 pm

eabaker wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

No, that's just being an individual having conversations with other individuals. One who does not attend conventions, subscribe to fanzines, visit sites/boards/groups, or otherwise seek out collective experiences on the subject is not part of the collective fandom.

How is it different just because this is a Godzilla fourm. You come into this topic to discuss your opinions on star wars with other star wars fans.

Please explain to me what exactly is this collective because I consider myself a collective star Wars fan and this topic is about as far as I personally interact other than with my brother.

Shadow Area 1-0

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 pm

miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

How is it different just because this is a Godzilla fourm. You come into this topic to discuss your opinions on star wars with other star wars fans.

Please explain to me what exactly is this collective because I consider myself a collective star Wars fan and this topic is about as far as I personally interact other than with my brother.

I think I've made my perspective pretty clear (people who go out of their way to interact with Star Wars fans en masse in spaces created specifically for Star Wars fans to interact, as opposed to people who interact with other Star Wars fans when the opportunity arises in day to day life), and this is a pretty pointless topic that's not going to lead to anything of value.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:13 pm

eabaker wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

I'm discussing it on a Godzilla message board, not a Star Wars message board. I also talk about Star Wars in person with other fans all the time (easy to do, since a pretty overwhelming portion of the American population are Star Wars fans). That's not participating in the collective fandom, that's just being a fan and having conversations with other fans.

Yeah. I am interacting with the Godzilla fandom right now, on a Godzilla website. I would say that certain venues, such as going to a con, like GFest, would make you more part of the fandom or interacting. I really would not consider myself part of the star wars fandom.
And I agree about talking to someone about star wars in person, who casually likes it is different then obsessively making speculation vids and collecting merch.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 pm

Okay kids, what do we think....

Kevin Feige has been tapped to develop a new Star Wars film:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ey-1243481

Old Republic? Something new? Will he take Rians spotlight? (I'll save you the trouble.. Yeah probably)

I personally respect and appreciate what he's done so far with the MCU, however with that being said, I am not a fan of the current MCU.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sith Apprentice.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:13 pm

I’m totally down.

Gojira2K
Futurian

Postby Gojira2K » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:18 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:I’m totally down.

Honestly, same.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?

Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there

TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:

Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*

*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:20 pm

Guess Feige has time now that he doesn't have to run to Sony.

I wonder why Filoni wasn't given a promotion to help out storyline wise.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:39 pm

I mean, if nothing else, he's proven the ability to tell a coherent story across multiple movies, which is a damn sight better than where Star Wars is right now.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:48 pm

What Feig and company have done with the MCU has been amazing in its way; and, yeah, eventually they did succeed in creating a sense of a coherent story across multiple entries (although there were some pretty big stumbles along the way); but ultimately the MCU has not given us any single, individual movie that is in even close to the same league as TLJ (yes, many people hate it, but the kind of love it inspires in those for whom it particularly resonates goes a lot deeper than any fan's love of Infinity War, and I can back that claim up with iron clad empirical evidence). Telling a coherent story across multiple productions (I use the word "productions" rather than "movies" specifically to differentiate from cases like The Lord of the Rings, where the three movies were written and produced as a single work by a single creative team which had to be split up for release) will always mean handcuffing the filmmakers involved and limiting the potential of any one entry. The MCU is a great product, but it never transcends its status as a product.

Well, that was a big block of text that will only annoy some of you. I wished I wasn't writing it as I wrote it; I wish right now that I wasn't going to hit "submit;" and in a moment I'll wish I hadn't done those things I'm currently wishing I weren't doing.

EDIT: Yup, I regretted posting it right away.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:21 am

I would like to see this empirical evidence.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:18 am

_JNavs_ wrote:Okay kids, what do we think....

Kevin Feige has been tapped to develop a new Star Wars film:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ey-1243481

It's a bit late now... Maybe he will change the tide but right now Star Wars is in such a S**T show it'll take a lot to bring me around.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:36 am

Zarm wrote:I would like to see this empirical evidence.

I too have seen evidence to the contrary.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:44 am

eabaker wrote:What Feig and company have done with the MCU has been amazing in its way; and, yeah, eventually they did succeed in creating a sense of a coherent story across multiple entries (although there were some pretty big stumbles along the way); but ultimately the MCU has not given us any single, individual movie that is in even close to the same league as TLJ (yes, many people hate it, but the kind of love it inspires in those for whom it particularly resonates goes a lot deeper than any fan's love of Infinity War, and I can back that claim up with iron clad empirical evidence). Telling a coherent story across multiple productions (I use the word "productions" rather than "movies" specifically to differentiate from cases like The Lord of the Rings, where the three movies were written and produced as a single work by a single creative team which had to be split up for release) will always mean handcuffing the filmmakers involved and limiting the potential of any one entry. The MCU is a great product, but it never transcends its status as a product.

Well, that was a big block of text that will only annoy some of you. I wished I wasn't writing it as I wrote it; I wish right now that I wasn't going to hit "submit;" and in a moment I'll wish I hadn't done those things I'm currently wishing I weren't doing.

EDIT: Yup, I regretted posting it right away.

Hey, I agree. I’ve seen most of the MCU films in theaters, and don’t have the same attachment or interest in the MCU films, INDIVIDUALLY, as TLJ.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:50 am

Zarm wrote:I would like to see this empirical evidence.

My dianoga ate it.

Return to “Media Center”