The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
21%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
28%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
18%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
1%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
1%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
4%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
8%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
5%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%

Total votes: 181

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Postby Terasawa » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:14 am

LegendZilla wrote:If Star Wars continues to fail for Disney, maybe it could lead to Bob Iger stepping down from his position.

Why? Because Solo *only* made $400m worldwide?

TFA made $4b; Iger's not going anywhere. His Lucasfilm purchase has more than paid off.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:29 am

Terasawa wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:If Star Wars continues to fail for Disney, maybe it could lead to Bob Iger stepping down from his position.

TFA made $4b; Iger's not going anywhere. His Lucasfilm purchase has more than paid off.

While I get some criticisms people have of TLJ, and I can see how their night be some weird production issues with the upcoming film, I really don’t understand this strange mentality that people have adopted that is so overtly negative.

Like, okay, I have my criticisms of Rogue one, but pretty much everything other than Solo, made major bank (and solo wasn’t a horrible failure). And the general consensus (not of the neckbeards that are upset over Laura dern having purple hair), for all the films is generally positive. Like...I have no idea how people are comparing these films track record to the prequels...

I’ve said this several times before, but I think as someone who didn’t overly hype any of these films, or get into the weird ultra FAN SPECULATION type hype culture, I saw these movies, enjoyed them, and that was it.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:32 am

To follow up on the saber thing, btw- I'd put it like this.

If you're having a heated argument with someone while wearing a gun, and the thought "What if I just shot this guy?" flashes through your mind- well, that's a dark, terrible thought, but that kind of thing happens. Random thoughts flash through our heads; if it's just as quickly dismissed, that's no reflection on your character.

If, however, you pull the gun from its holster and click off the safety after thinking that- which is what Luke does (saber drawn and ignited), that's something else. It may not be full murderous intent; but it sure isn't a controlled impulse. It's the first step toward murder taken. It's a openness enough to carrying it out to enact stage one. Even if you back down before you take the next step or commit to the actual murder, that is still a major reflection on your character; on your willingness to consider murder a viable option in the heat of the moment.

That's the issue that TLJ detractors have with the portrayal of Luke. Not that he considered the murder, but that he took the first step to enacting it. Not that he decided to leave out of guilt, but that he did so when he had just created a danger without doing anything to resolve it. In each case, the former is not- subjectively- in the character of Luke Skywalker to us, but it's within the debatable realm of possibility. In both cases, however, the latter is a specific outward action that carries that debatable subjective difference between camps into a specific and highly-objectionable action. That's the issue; not the premise, per se, but the outward extension and degree to which it was taken.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:33 am

Good and relevant video.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:36 am

Zarm wrote:To follow up on the saber thing, btw- I'd put it like this.

If you're having a heated argument with someone while wearing a gun, and the thought "What if I just shot this guy?" flashes through your mind- well, that's a dark, terrible thought, but that kind of thing happens. Random thoughts flash through our heads; if it's just as quickly dismissed, that's no reflection on your character.

If, however, you pull the gun from its holster and click off the safety after thinking that- which is what Luke does (saber drawn and ignited), that's something else. It may not be full murderous intent; but it sure isn't a controlled impulse. It's the first step toward murder taken. It's a openness enough to carrying it out to enact stage one. Even if you back down before you take the next step or commit to the actual murder, that is still a major reflection on your character; on your willingness to consider murder a viable option in the heat of the moment.

That's the issue that TLJ detractors have with the portrayal of Luke. Not that he considered the murder, but that he took the first step to enacting it. Not that he decided to leave out of guilt, but that he did so when he had just created a danger without doing anything to resolve it. In each case, the former is not- subjectively- in the character of Luke Skywalker to us, but it's within the debatable realm of possibility. In both cases, however, the latter is a specific outward action that carries that debatable subjective difference between camps into a specific and highly-objectionable action. That's the issue; not the premise, per se, but the outward extension and degree to which it was taken.

You've stated this perfectly.
Sith Apprentice.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:While I get some criticisms people have of TLJ, and I can see how their night be some weird production issues with the upcoming film, I really don’t understand this strange mentality that people have adopted that is so overtly negative.

I think that for some, the way the characters have been decimated or the turns they took in TLJ have few of them... unsullied? If that makes any sense. And few of them left (at least from the OT). For those who hated TLJ, a universe molded by its direction seems bleak. That accounts for some of the people.

But either way, for those who loved it or hated it, I think the sense is 'Whether this movie is good or bad... the stand-alone are canceled, the movies are taking a hiatus, and the fanbase is more toxic and divided than it's ever been. The franchise the trilogy is leaving behind is in tatters. So even if the film is a triumph, it will feel kind of like a Pyrrhic victory, because the state of the Star Wars it will leave behind is not a good one.'

I'm hoping maybe a good run of Disney+ content like the Mandalorian can revive and re-unify things to the point that this pessimism dispels.
Last edited by Zarm on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:32 am

miguelnuva wrote:Vader is the Emperor's apprentice but Palapatine was not a Sith till the the prequels. Vader was Dark Lord of the Sith till the prequels came out and then Sith lords become all the villians with Palpatine as master.

Yes but the PT didn't "retcon" Vader into being Palpatine's apprentice, the PT just revealed details about Palpatine and Vader that weren't known before. There's nothing from the OT that says there is only one Lord of the Sith or any statement that would exclude Palpatine from being one.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:15 pm

True. That is an interesting thought, though; that in the OT, Vader was a known Sith from multiple contemporary materials (although what a 'Sith' was wasn't known)- and it was Palpatine who got added in by the PT, rather than Vader.

No bearing on the discussion; obviously, you already said that. I am just amused by the idea. :)

#ProLife

Maranatha!

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:42 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Vader is the Emperor's apprentice but Palapatine was not a Sith till the the prequels. Vader was Dark Lord of the Sith till the prequels came out and then Sith lords become all the villians with Palpatine as master.

Yes but the PT didn't "retcon" Vader into being Palpatine's apprentice, the PT just revealed details about Palpatine and Vader that weren't known before. There's nothing from the OT that says there is only one Lord of the Sith or any statement that would exclude Palpatine from being one.

Palpatine is stated to not be a Sith and just a powerful dark sider pre PT.

the Visual Dictionary only says he uses the dark side, and the Shadows of the Empire sourcebook outright says he's not a Sith at all.

In the Thrawn Trilogy Zahn was originally going to make the Noghri the Sith, hence Vader's title of "Dark Lord of the Sith", so there wasn't much established about them back then.

Neither did *Dark Apprentice*, which specifically calls Vader the last Sith Lord without any mention of Palpatine. There's a distinction between "Sith" and "dark-sider", and the former wasn't much used in the pre-*TPM* EU, if at all.

Added in 5 minutes 10 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:

While I get some criticisms people have of TLJ, and I can see how their night be some weird production issues with the upcoming film, I really don’t understand this strange mentality that people have adopted that is so overtly negative.

Like, okay, I have my criticisms of Rogue one, but pretty much everything other than Solo, made major bank (and solo wasn’t a horrible failure). And the general consensus (not of the neckbeards that are upset over Laura dern having purple hair), for all the films is generally positive. Like...I have no idea how people are comparing these films track record to the prequels...

I’ve said this several times before, but I think as someone who didn’t overly hype any of these films, or get into the weird ultra FAN SPECULATION type hype culture, I saw these movies, enjoyed them, and that was it.

I disagree with this. TLJ is a mixed film and not everyone that didn't like are sexist, racist people or those who were upset with their theories not coming through.

The prequels didn't alter charcters to prop new characters. The prequels also haven't caused a slow down like TLJ did.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:11 pm

miguelnuva wrote:
I disagree with this. TLJ is a mixed film and not everyone that didn't like are sexist, racist people or those who were upset with their theories not coming through.

The prequels didn't alter charcters to prop new characters. The prequels also haven't caused a slow down like TLJ did.

This, if anything the content and hunger for more skyrocketed during the PT.

It was Star Wars content galore back in the day, now it's just peg-warmers and cheap promos.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Apprentice.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:32 pm

miguelnuva wrote:Palpatine is stated to not be a Sith and just a powerful dark sider pre PT.

Is there an actual old EU source that explicitly says he isn't Sith or only some that imply so by omission? Even if that were the case it's not the same as OT materials excluding him.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:40 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Palpatine is stated to not be a Sith and just a powerful dark sider pre PT.

Is there an actual old EU source that explicitly says he isn't Sith or only some that imply so by omission? Even if that were the case it's not the same as OT materials excluding him.

the Visual Dictionary only says he uses the dark side, and the Shadows of the Empire sourcebook outright says he's not a Sith at all.

In the Thrawn Trilogy Zahn was originally going to make the Noghri the Sith, hence Vader's title of "Dark Lord of the Sith", so there wasn't much established about them back then.

Neither did *Dark Apprentice*, which specifically calls Vader the last Sith Lord without any mention of Palpatine. There's a distinction between "Sith" and "dark-sider", and the former wasn't much used in the pre-*TPM* EU, if at all.

These are off the top of my head. Before the PT Vader seemed to be the leader of the Sith and Papatine was Vader's master. Seemed more like Snoke and Kylo.

Added in 7 minutes 20 seconds:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.c ... isney-ceo/

GL has finally come out it seems on the ST. I'm sure PT haters will be attacking him now.

Shadow Area 1-0

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:34 am

miguelnuva wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.c ... isney-ceo/

GL has finally come out it seems on the ST. I'm sure PT haters will be attacking him now.

"Lucas felt there was "nothing new" about the J.J. Abrams directed sequel.

"In each of the films in the original trilogy, it was important to [Lucas] to present new worlds, new stories, new characters, and new technologies. In this one, he said, 'There weren't enough visual or technical leaps forward,'" Iger said."
Lucas on the money as usual.
Sith Apprentice.

ScootaVaran
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby ScootaVaran » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:46 am

_JNavs_ wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.c ... isney-ceo/

"Lucas felt there was "nothing new" about the J.J. Abrams directed sequel.

"In each of the films in the original trilogy, it was important to [Lucas] to present new worlds, new stories, new characters, and new technologies. In this one, he said, 'There weren't enough visual or technical leaps forward,'" Iger said."
Lucas on the money as usual.

Pretty sure this is old news.
George Lucas has never been shy about how he prefers every movie needs a new location.
He even mentioned that right after TFA came out.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 am

I like how the post ignores his positive reaction to TLJ and instead condemns the entire ST.

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:06 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesr ... -bob-iger/

More on the subject.

Added in 59 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote:I like how the post ignores his positive reaction to TLJ and instead condemns the entire ST.

Same way he had a positive reaction to TFA. Not saying he doesn't like the ST just that it makes sense either way considering how things played out.

Shadow Area 1-0

MM Raids Again
Futurian

Postby MM Raids Again » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:20 pm

10 bucks says that if the ST played out like Lucas wanted, it'd have been revealed the were as an inherently evil "Whills" that was actually in control of the Empire and responsible for the Sith.
Did you miss me?

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:27 pm

At least Luke would've made it to IX, and would've trained his sister to be a Jedi.

Instead we got a dead Luke upon introduction, and his invincible Super-Sister.
Sith Apprentice.

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:47 pm

https://youtu.be/KekAh1_IAkA

This has nothing to do with anything but how it hurts to be a Star Wars fan now days.

Before TLJ alot of these youtubers felt like friends you never met before and now its borderline Civil War.

Shadow Area 1-0

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:02 pm

I'm so glad that I've never participated in the collective Star Wars fandom...

It really makes being a fan a lot easier.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Return to “Media Center”