The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:For example, Starkiller from Force Unleashed, great character imo, bridged the OT and PT almost perfectly. He was the spark that started the flame for the rebellion.. he no longer exists. Jacen Solo and Cade Skywalker, those were amazing characters and felt like they could've existed post ROTJ, (plus their names are probably the coolest names since "Anakin", "Luke" and "Obi Wan".).. But they no longer exist.
They do still exist, though. All of that media still exists. You got, and still have, decades worth of stories that were apparently exactly what you wanted. Meanwhile, for those same decades, another portion of the fandom didn't get anything that appealed to them. And when we did get something that appealed to us, it feels like we've been told, "Oh, if this is what you like, then you just don't deserve to get anything at all."
Last edited by eabaker on Fri May 10, 2019 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:For example, Starkiller from Force Unleashed, great character imo, bridged the OT and PT almost perfectly. He was the spark that started the flame for the rebellion.. he no longer exists. Jacen Solo and Cade Skywalker, those were amazing characters and felt like they could've existed post ROTJ, (plus their names are probably the coolest names since "Anakin", "Luke" and "Obi Wan".).. But they no longer exist.
They do still exist, though. All of that media still exists. You got, and still have, decades worth of stories that were apparently exactly what you wanted. Meanwhile, for those same decades, another portion of the fandom didn't get anything that appealed to them. And when we did get something that appealed to us, it feels like we've been told, "Oh, if this is what you like, then you just don't deserve to get anything at all."
The media exists, yes. But we were basically told by Disney "None of that exists anymore, it's all non-canon now. Sorry but we've got better plans for the future of the universe", and so far it just seems like they put their foot in their mouth, they put the cart before the horse.

"Oh, if this is what you like, then you just don't deserve to get anything at all." I relate to this as well, since that's basically what happened to those of us who wanted that expanded content to be legitimized on the big screen, but instead they basically told us we were enjoying glorified fan fiction.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:
eabaker wrote:
The media exists, yes. But we were basically told by Disney "None of that exists anymore, it's all non-canon now. Sorry but we've got better plans for the future of the universe", and so far it just seems like they put their foot in their mouth, they put the cart before the horse.

"Oh, if this is what you like, then you just don't deserve to get anything at all." I relate to this as well, since that's basically what happened to those of us who wanted that expanded content to be legitimized on the big screen, but instead they basically told us we were enjoying glorified fan fiction.
There are just two different canons now, no matter what representatives of a corporation that acquired another corporation say abut the matter. None of that material needed to be legitimized; it was legitimate then, and remains legitimate now. It's just no longer the only option.

Legitimate or illegitimate, you have so many stories that you enjoy in that world. And the rest of us aren't asking for an equivalent amount of Star Wars content to be produced to our tastes; we just want a little drink of water in the vast desert that surrounds us.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri May 10, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I'm a special snowflake who doesn't like TLJ but never got ragged on for it. :angel:
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I REALLY hope they don’t bring back Palpatine
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote:I'm a special snowflake who doesn't like TLJ but never got ragged on for it. :angel:
:twisted: .........prepare thyself.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I REALLY hope they don’t bring back Palpatine
Well, bad news for you because all signs point to them literally doing just that. Whether it's a vision or his physical form (somehow, someway) is still up for debate, though.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

KManX89 wrote:
Well, bad news for you because all signs point to them literally doing just that. Whether it's a vision or his physical form (somehow, someway) is still up for debate, though.
>Kill the past
>Also here’s Palpatine BTW
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:
Eabaker are you saying that you didn't enjoy any Star Wars media rather it be books, movies, cartoons, games or comics from Rotj till TLJ because you would be the first person I've heard say that.

Once again not attacking you just that from my initial understanding I interpret you as saying Star Wars left you and fans like you in the dark since 1983 and that is beyond my understanding I'll admit.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Eabaker are you saying that you didn't enjoy any Star Wars media rather it be books, movies, cartoons, games or comics from Rotj till TLJ because you would be the first person I've heard say that.

Once again not attacking you just that from my initial understanding I interpret you as saying Star Wars left you and fans like you in the dark since 1983 and that is beyond my understanding I'll admit.
I mean, I enjoyed most of the Thrawn trilogy when I first read it, but could never get invested enough to finish a re-read of it, and never thought it felt like "real" Star Wars. Ditto Shadows of the Empire.

The prequels had their moments, and I think TFA is mostly a pretty good movie, except for the bad loss of narrative focus late in the second act.

But, when it comes right down to it, none of it felt truly satisfying to me until TLJ. That was the first thing that actually felt, to me personally, like it really was Star Wars again, from beginning to end.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri May 10, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
>Kill the past
>Also here’s Palpatine BTW
"Kill the past" was a quote from the villain and shouldn't be taken as a concrete statement by the filmmakers.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Actually, no. KK has not managed it well.
For a moment I thought you were talking about me. :lol:

EDIT:
eabaker wrote: There are just two different canons now, no matter what representatives of a corporation that acquired another corporation say abut the matter. None of that material needed to be legitimized; it was legitimate then, and remains legitimate now. It's just no longer the only option.
I do have to agree with this. Perhaps it's because I'm a fan of Godzilla first and foremost, and I'm used to "alternate continuities branching off from the original" in a single film series. But I've never thought of the Legends stuff as "non-canon" anymore than the Showa series is "non-canon".
Last edited by Spuro on Fri May 10, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Perhaps it's because I'm a fan of Godzilla first and foremost, and I'm used to "alternate continuities branching off from the original" in a single film series. But I've never thought of the Legends stuff as "non-canon" anymore than the Showa series is "non-canon".
While I understand what you mean, I think the difference is, the expanded universe was not only de-canonized, but it was also limited to books and games, while Goji mediums seem to focus more on off-branching film "sagas", so there's that sense of not getting the full effect of what could've been for those that would've loved to see these larger than life characters brought to the big screen.

I do think Eabaker is completely right in that they just want a glass of water in the desert they're surrounded in, but I just hope this isn't the only future for Disney's Star Wars, I hope they make films in a similar vein to the more epic scaled prequels/games and comics.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 10, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

To me, I think Star Wars has various kinds of hardcore fans in different aspects. Theres the film fans, the EU hardcore fans, and then the Video game/TV fans.

The film fans are those who loved watching them as films themselves. They are more concerned with the technical aspects of the film like the lighting, the spx, the story telling, the symbolism the character development in the films themselves, ect... These fans have never heard of Thrawn and until Solo came out, thought Maul was a Phantom Menace villian only. These types of fans don't really care to dive into the books or even the clone wars or rebels tv show. I feel Ebaker and to a lesser extent me (I do like alot of the video games like KOTOR) fall into this category.

I personally never really had an interest in the EU stuff as some of it really made it too much for me. When force users like Palpatine, Yoda, and even Luke are borderline DBZ overpowered, that is a huge turn off for me. When I watched the films, even in the prequels, the Jedi and Sith always felt more like normal xmen mutant level at most. Even Darth Sidous, or a full potential Anakin or Luke should not be able to survive a head on blaster fire attack from an AT-ST or an AT-AT, nor should even a skywalker or yoda or Sidous be able to stop lasers from said AT-ST or AT-AT with the force or deflect them with Lightsabers. Luke deflecting speeder bike laser fire should be the limit imo. If Sidous is somehow taken by surprise, even Han Solo should be able to kill Sidous if Sidous is not careful. When you have feats such as yoda crashing the death star into a planet with the force, thats a little much for me imo.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

It looks like the Star Wars spinoffs have been canceled by Disney.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/exclusi ... 7ZwnbwVhSs

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rhedosaurus wrote:It looks like the Star Wars spinoffs have been canceled by Disney.

"Will be moved to Disney Plus"

That is so gross, so basically what they're saying is, if you want to follow Star Wars beyond the 3 films and the kids show Resistance, you have to pay a monthly subscription service. That rubs me the completely wrong way.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu May 23, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:It looks like the Star Wars spinoffs have been canceled by Disney.

That is so gross, so basically what they're saying is, if you want to follow Star Wars beyond the 3 films and the kids show Resistance, you have to pay a monthly subscription service. That rubs me the completely wrong way.
It's almost like they're a company trying to make a profit that puts out products with that intention. Don't blame them though after how SOLO performed

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzillian wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

It's almost like they're a company trying to make a profit that puts out products with that intention. Don't blame them though after how SOLO performed
I have no problem with Disney Plus getting extra Star Wars contact but Disney did this to themselves. People were on the fence from Day 1 about Solo, Solo had problems on set and then TLJ split the fanbase. No way they shouldn't have moved Solo back to December.

Also if they would do the Obi-Wan spinoff they'd be fine.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think the ballooned budget from reshooting nearly the entire movie was more of a reason for its failure than its release date.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote:I think the ballooned budget from reshooting nearly the entire movie was more of a reason for its failure than its release date.
You don't feel dropping it that close to Infinity War and Deadpool 2 on top of being that close to TLJ didn't have an affect on it?

Solo had an uphill battle from day 1 and it seemed like everything was lining up for it not doing well box office wise.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image