The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by KaijuCanuck »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Zarm or eabaker mentioning TLJ is now comparable with anyone on the forums saying Bagan.

When someone says Bagan, a kitten dies.

When Zarm or eabaker mention TLJ, a puppy dies.

I hope you're both happy with yourselves.
Bagan was originally going to make a cameo in TLJ

But in the end, it didn't happen because Rian Johnson isn't a Real FaN
#sloppyjohnson

OKAY GUYS BACK ON TOPIC STOP SCREWING AROUND WE DONT WANT ANY OF THAT TROLL SHIT HERE

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Saw Solo. Not as bad as I expected, but pretty meh and forgettable for me.
It's a movie that settles for "good enough" at every possible opportunity. A perfect example of "ticking boxes" being prioritized over any kind of passion or vision.
Too bad it couldn't tick the "Be An Entertaining Movie" box.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

You guys heard about 'The Mandalorian' yet? Jon Favreau's new project - don't know if it's a movie, a TV show, or whatnot. But it takes place in the time between the Fall of the Empire and the rise of the First Order, about a 'gunfighter in the far reaches of the galaxy' in the 'tradition of Jango and Boba Fett'. I'm looking forward to it...

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

My first instinct in this post-Clone Wars era is to sneer and assume that we won't be dealing with real Mandalorians, but Lucas' garbage revision of them. But... I suppose that would be unfair of me.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That time period definitely does need some exploration. And I'm a big fan of the 'we don't actually need a Jedi in this movie' brand of stand-alones, so this seems like it will continue that tradition nicely. I'm interested to see what he comes up with...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MandaSaurus wrote:You guys heard about 'The Mandalorian' yet? Jon Favreau's new project - don't know if it's a movie, a TV show, or whatnot.
It's a live-action TV show for the Disney streaming service.

But yeah, sounds interesting. Count me in the "no Jedi for spin-offs" camp too. I don't need lightsabers and Level 5 Force Powers to enjoy a Star Wars movie (see: Solo).

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:You guys heard about 'The Mandalorian' yet? Jon Favreau's new project - don't know if it's a movie, a TV show, or whatnot.

But yeah, sounds interesting. Count me in the "no Jedi for spin-offs" camp too. I don't need lightsabers and Level 5 Force Powers to enjoy a Star Wars movie (see: Solo).
This is why I HATE when Maul activates his saber in Solo. It serves no purpose and is done basically to say "we can't feature ONE single Star Wars movie without lightsabers"
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Right? The universe is so much bigger than that one facet. Well, I don't know that I'll be able to afford another streaming service, but if it gets good reviews...

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

This is why I HATE when Maul activates his saber in Solo. It serves no purpose and is done basically to say "we can't feature ONE single Star Wars movie without lightsabers"
They actually said he didn't in the original cut, but somehow, audiences didn't seem to get who he was (or maybe thought he was just another Zabrak with the same tatoos), so they threw in the saber and music cue to idiot-proof the reveal.
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:Right? The universe is so much bigger than that one facet. Well, I don't know that I'll be able to afford another streaming service, but if it gets good reviews...

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

They actually said he didn't in the original cut, but somehow, audiences didn't seem to get who he was (or maybe thought he was justcanother Zabrak with the same tatoos), so they threw in the saber and music cue to idiot-proof the reveal.
Yeesh, really? I even caught slight musical cues earlier in the film when they mentioned Crimson Dawn (or whatever it was called. I remember so little about this movie and I watched it days ago...). He is such a recognizable character, how could you not know who he is?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That is precisely what I wondered...

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

My mother didn't know who he was and she's seen all the Star Wars films before. If you've never gone beyond the films, it'd be quite easy to forget Darth Maul since he wasn't really a big deal in the series until his revival.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:My mother didn't know who he was and she's seen all the Star Wars films before. If you've never gone beyond the films, it'd be quite easy to forget Darth Maul since he wasn't really a big deal in the series until his revival.
I definitely disagree with this. His face was plastered all over Phantom Menace's posters. He's arguably the most memorable thing from Phantom except for maybe the podrace.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maritonic wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:My mother didn't know who he was and she's seen all the Star Wars films before. If you've never gone beyond the films, it'd be quite easy to forget Darth Maul since he wasn't really a big deal in the series until his revival.
I definitely disagree with this. His face was plastered all over Phantom Menace's posters. He's arguably the most memorable thing from Phantom except for maybe the podrace.
Right, but not many people who aren't Star Wars fans remember TPM at all sooo... :P

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Right, but not many people who aren't Star Wars fans remember TPM at all sooo... :P
Ehh, I guess. I just think he's the most recognizable character to come out of Star Wars since Darth Vader, pre-Kylo Renn maybe. I'd be shocked someone didn't know who he was. At least to a point where seeing a lightsaber changes that, I should clarify.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Exactly. If you don't know who he was without the lightsaber, I don't see why the lightsaber would help. Unless, I guess, you just kind of assume "Well, he pretty definitively died by getting cut in half, so that's a different guy that looks the same- oh, no wait, he has the lightsaber, I guess it's the same guy." But even then, that seems like... a stretch.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I gotta agree with UltramanGoji, my mom has seen all the films too and I don’t think she would remember Maul at all, lightsaber or no.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I guess not recognizing him at ALL I can kind of understand. But not recognizing him until his lightsaber is activated I really can't.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maritonic wrote:I guess not recognizing him at ALL I can kind of understand. But not recognizing him until his lightsaber is activated I really can't.
Yeah, I agree with you there. I think the lightsaber addition was stupid and kind of slightly ruins the moment. You didn't need to have Thanos wield the Infinity Gauntlet at the end of the first Avengers to remind people who he was. Those that know him will know him, those that don't can figure it out later.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:Exactly. If you don't know who he was without the lightsaber, I don't see why the lightsaber would help. Unless, I guess, you just kind of assume "Well, he pretty definitively died by getting cut in half, so that's a different guy that looks the same- oh, no wait, he has the lightsaber, I guess it's the same guy." But even then, that seems like... a stretch.
That's exactly the explanation I've heard.

It makes sense to me. I was aware that Maul had been ret-conned into surviving, but I'd guess that majority of viewers probably didn't even possess that second-hand knowledge.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:Exactly. If you don't know who he was without the lightsaber, I don't see why the lightsaber would help. Unless, I guess, you just kind of assume "Well, he pretty definitively died by getting cut in half, so that's a different guy that looks the same- oh, no wait, he has the lightsaber, I guess it's the same guy." But even then, that seems like... a stretch.
That's exactly the explanation I've heard.

It makes sense to me. I was aware that Maul had been ret-conned into surviving, but I'd guess that majority of viewers probably didn't even possess that second-hand knowledge.
Perfectly summed up. You guys really have to understand the GA doesn't care about the lore or expanded universe of nearly every major franchise. They aren't going to know about ret-cons and tv shows that changed the canon outside the films, to them the only stuff that matters is what happens on screen