The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by Smuggers »

That's more the result of poor writing than moral alignment. Hell, those qualities aren't even intrinsic to villains, anyone can feel those.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I have chosen wisely my apprentice..as you have as well.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

goji89 wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Yeah, one of the things I liked about the prequels were the ideas of how the Jedi failed Anakin. I don't think it's done that well, which is a shame but Lucas had some good things going with that angle.
This.

I believe that if they would have fleshed it out a bit more and fine tweaked these events of how the Jedi failed Anakin then it would have been better. The scene with Qui-Gon and Anakins mother where he tells her "I'm not here to free slaves".....I'm like dude, at least take the mom as well. I know he later said he tried but why not just take her with them anyways......

But yeah had some good ideas with that angle.
Slaves have a transmitter in their heads. Watto would have killed Shmi right in front of Anakin's eyes.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Most people only "like villains better than the heroes" because they get cool designs, armies and powers.

With the exception of Vader and Krennic, none of the Star Wars villains are particularly deep, relatable, or interesting as individuals.
Conflict, regret, failure. Those tend to be the most relatable. Not everyones lives are happy go lucky bright and shining every day is my day nonsense.
You're right that those are relatable traits, but you're very mistaken if you think those traits are exclusive to villains, or that heroes all live happy go lucky bright and shiny lives. Especially Star Wars heroes of all things.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Most people only "like villains better than the heroes" because they get cool designs, armies and powers.

With the exception of Vader and Krennic, none of the Star Wars villains are particularly deep, relatable, or interesting as individuals.
Conflict, regret, failure. Those tend to be the most relatable. Not everyones lives are happy go lucky bright and shining every day is my day nonsense.
You're right that those are relatable traits, but you're very mistaken if you think those traits are exclusive to villains, or that heroes all live happy go lucky bright and shiny lives. Especially Star Wars heroes of all things.
Maul and Sidious are some notable examples of some decently deep/interesting individuals. I was applying those relatable traits to villains as a counter to the
"Edge lord/down with the government, rebellious teen who describes themselves as an anarchist and shares facebook memes about wanting the zombie apocalypse to happen."
comments
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon May 06, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Most people only "like villains better than the heroes" because they get cool designs, armies and powers.

Villains need love too..... remember there is no light without darkness, no love without hate.... They mostly get the deep or relatable nonsense because they wish for them to die and dont want to flesh out their story giving them sympathy...if Darth Vader was some generic nobody he would fall into that category, the fact that he was a chosen ine and supposedly aJedi is why he got a back story.

Villains dont just pop up either.
Last edited by goji89 on Mon May 06, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

There can't really be heroes without villains, because the villains drive the heroes into action. Did everything change when it was a peaceful day at the Southern Air Temple? Hell no, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JAGzilla wrote:There can't really be heroes without villains, because the villains drive the heroes into action. Did everything change when it was a peaceful day at the Southern Air Temple? Hell no, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.
This :lol:

Added in 20 hours 51 seconds:
So the next 3 Star Wars films are dated for 2022, 2024 and 2026

I can't even imagine being 26, let alone waiting that long for a SW film
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue May 07, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote: So the next 3 Star Wars films are dated for 2021, 2024 and 2026

22, not 21.

I always thought 3 years between entries was a nice pace, and one per year has been too much. Two years apart still feels a little rushed to me, but we'll see.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: So the next 3 Star Wars films are dated for 2021, 2024 and 2026

22, not 21.

I always thought 3 years between entries was a nice pace, and one per year has been too much. Two years apart still feels a little rushed to me, but we'll see.
Yeah 1 per year has been too much, 2 years apart should give enough time for ideas to whirl and stick. 3 years does make it feel more like an event, but with how big the brand is, it'd probably be too much of a gap for general audiences.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Remember that we'll also have the streaming service and the various series on it to feed the beast between films...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I just realized, George Lucas must have at least some familiarity with Time Lord science. That's the only explanation for how the 2h16m Episode I somehow contains 3h47m of fucking podracing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

3 years too long?

Try 16 between Jedi and Menace.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:3 years too long?

If anything, the gaps heighten excitement and anticipation, and helps to avoid fatigue and stagnation. The Force Awakens wouldn't have done nearly as well at the box office if it hadn't been ten years since the last Star Wars movie.

I really wish Marvel would have gone a similar rout after Endgame and given audiences a much deserved break, but I suppose that's not for this thread.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu May 09, 2019 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
I really wish Marvel would have gone a similar rout after Endgame and given audiences a much deserved break, but I suppose that's not for this thread.
At the same time, with a story this sprawling and complex, it makes sense to keep moving while audiences are still closely involved and remember what's going on.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:3 years too long?

If anything, the gaps heighten excitement and anticipation, and helps to avoid fatigue and stagnation. The Force Awakens wouldn't have done nearly as well at the box office if it hadn't been ten years since the last Star Wars movie.

I'd agree that it'd heighten excitement and anticipation, if I hadn't thought the past 3 SW films were subpar at best. So if they continue the trend, they're just dragging it on. Especially if it's Rians trilogy they're talking about.

Idk, I guess to me the past 3 films felt worse than some of the fan films i've seen, i'm just not a big fan of rehashed plots and left field twists to justify them.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

According to John Campea via his YouTube channel, Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy has been officially canceled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74m83Oe86pI

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rhedosaurus wrote:According to John Campea via his YouTube channel, Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy has been officially canceled
If that's true, it pretty much kills my interest in any future Star Wars under Disney.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Rhedosaurus wrote:According to John Campea via his YouTube channel, Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy has been officially canceled.

I guess Last Jedi did damage the brand more than they let on if true.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu May 09, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:According to John Campea via his YouTube channel, Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy has been officially canceled.

I guess Last Jedi did damage the brand more than they let on kf true.
More to the point, that would mean that they interpret TLJ as having damaged the brand.

I think there's a significant portion of the fandom, though, for whom explicitly pulling away from TLJ damages the brand.

If Disney cancels/has cancelled the Johnson trilogy, then they're basically telling me that I'm the "wrong kind" of Star Wars fan, and my money doesn't matter to them. In which case, fine, I'll keep it.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri May 10, 2019 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.