The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by miguelnuva »

TFA is a sequel that's why it doesn't truly work as a stand alone film. The original statement made was could someone understand TFA without novels and you can. A new fan can watch TFA without the novels and maybe even past films. You are however missing a ton of information not in the novels.

Added in 1 minute 33 seconds:
Zarm wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:The first order appeared from the shadows of the Empire. Snoke is their leader and Leia is leading the resisantance the group that fights them.
The Resistance? But what happened to the Rebellion? Did they win? If there's a shadow of the Empire, were they defeated? If so, why didn't the Rebellion finish the job? Are they the Resistance? If they won, why are they still so scrappy and underpowered? If they didn't, then how does this group differ from the Rebellion? Why isn't the Rebellion still fighting this group? Who are those planets they get blown up? They mention a new Republic, that's probably them, but why were they not fighting the First Order that grew out of the shadow of the Empire?

I say all this not to be snarky, but to point out how many gaps in knowledge there still are in that. They've been patched in with fan-assumptions and unconscious inclusion of knowledge that came from outside-of-the-movie sources, but what we are given in the film still does not adequately explain how we got from the end of Return of the Jedi to here, or what the various groups' relationships to each other are.

miguelnuva wrote:Star Wars has always had massive gaps, one could ask why the rebels are fighting the Empire for example in Anh.
No, by the end of that, we know that the Empire is a major galactic power with a large starfleet and multiple star systems that used to be part of a Republic, but has turned into a tyranny, is using the bureaucracy of that Old Republic in order to maintain control but is slowly dismantling it as the Emperor seizes more and more power, that the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy that accompany the Republic had been hunted down and slaughtered by a servant of this Empire, that their primary doctrine is now to rule by fear in place of the democratic Senate that they have disbanded (which previously held the worst atrocities in chek, and had the power, if they sympathized with the Rebellion, to actually put a hitch in the Emperor's plans, but that has now been swept aside)... we know that the Rebel Alliance are a group of Imperial citizens that have turned and are opposing them because of their growing tyranny and tightening control, (as per Leia statements to Tarkin), and that because they have learned of the Empire's dreadful new weapon and have decided to take an active stand against them. We know they have leadership from elder statesman who are ceterans of the Clone Wars, and sympathies toward the Jedi Knights, are known of by the galaxy at large, have been on a number of secret bases throughout the galaxy, keeping on the move, abandoning old ones and finding new places to hide... we know plenty about the logistics and setup and motivations and goals, even implications of the Empire's size and origins. And all in one film.

So far in two, we barely know a fraction of that about the First Order, and have no explanation how things went from the status quo that we were left in the precursor film to the current ones, which is rather a necessity for a sequel that has changed around the Galaxy so much to establish.

The original Star Wars threw us into something new, but it was masterful at leaving clues and context, by implication as well as direct statement, to allow us to get our bearings and get a very solid idea of what was going on. The sequel trilogy arguably creates just as new a universe, as completely disconnected as it is from anything that came before, or else make such a drastic change to a familiar universe that the audience is left completely without bearings. It is on them to do at least as much explanation- as the original prove it can be done organically in without disrupting the story for exposition- and is definitely incumbent upon the sequel to not spin the events of Episode 7 in such a direction as to make even less sense.*

*For instance, turning the Starkiller Base event into the loss of hope for the Galaxy and aparent complete defeat of the New Republic, or going from the New Republic sitting by the sidelines because the Resistance had no proof of the First Order's threat to retconning that Poe and the others, despite almost no time having passed in which they could have learned it, now know Snoke's mega-warship on sight, indicating that they did have prior knowledge of the First Order's strength.

These things weren't errors in and of themselves in The Force Awakens, but the way that TLJ chose to add to the mythology them turned into issues.
Yes the Rebellion won, Anakin and Luke destroyed the sith and we here there is a new republic. The ending of RotJ shows the heroes won.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

miguelnuva wrote:TFA is a sequel that's why it doesn't truly work as a stand alone film. The original statement made was could someone understand TFA without novels and you can. A new fan can watch TFA without the novels and maybe even past films. You are however missing a ton of information not in the novels.
But it doesn't work as a sequel, either. It takes everything previously established that would allow it to skip explaining the situation, and changes it so radically that the old explanations make no sense. But it also provides new ones. It is not comprehensible as a story without extra-film information. The character's storylines, yes. The overall narrative- not at all.

Again, it depends on what you mean by 'understand the film.' Understand what happens to Finn in it? Sure. Understand what happens to Rey? Well, kinda (not all of that is entirely clear, either). Understand what actually happens in the events story? Mechanically, maybe ('The bad guys blew up an important planet, and the good guys with Leia that care about that planet but are someone else blew up their planet-destroyer')- but actually understanding what's going on? No.

miguelnuva wrote:Yes the Rebellion won, Anakin and Luke destroyed the sith and we here there is a new republic. The ending of RotJ shows the heroes won.
But it didn't show the formation of a New Republic, a First Order, a Resistance, a new Dark Side order, or give us any hint as to how those entities would relate to one-another. In TFA, they're just names. We know that the dark siders and FO are together, the FO and the Resistance are at odds. We have no idea the relationship of the New Republic to either, the relationship of the Rebellion to the NR or the Resistance (Did the Rebellion become the NR? If so, where did the Resistance come from? Or did it become the Resistance? If so, where did the NR come from?), or the First ORder to the Empire (is this still the Empire? Were they not fully defeated? But then why is the New Republic not fighting them? Or is this a new group following in their footsteps? If so, how did they build up and become as well-armed and staffed as the Empire, and how did they manage this without the New Republic fighting them?) Etc. The situation really is very confusing without information outside the films, and it definitely doesn't follow-on in nay logical way from ROTJ.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Zarm wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:TFA is a sequel that's why it doesn't truly work as a stand alone film. The original statement made was could someone understand TFA without novels and you can. A new fan can watch TFA without the novels and maybe even past films. You are however missing a ton of information not in the novels.
But it doesn't work as a sequel, either. It takes everything previously established that would allow it to skip explaining the situation, and changes it so radically that the old explanations make no sense. But it also provides new ones. It is not comprehensible as a story without extra-film information. The character's storylines, yes. The overall narrative- not at all.

Again, it depends on what you mean by 'understand the film.' Understand what happens to Finn in it? Sure. Understand what happens to Rey? Well, kinda (not all of that is entirely clear, either). Understand what actually happens in the events story? Mechanically, maybe ('The bad guys blew up an important planet, and the good guys with Leia that care about that planet but are someone else blew up their planet-destroyer')- but actually understanding what's going on? No.

miguelnuva wrote:Yes the Rebellion won, Anakin and Luke destroyed the sith and we here there is a new republic. The ending of RotJ shows the heroes won.
But it didn't show the formation of a New Republic, a First Order, a Resistance, a new Dark Side order, or give us any hint as to how those entities would relate to one-another. In TFA, they're just names. We know that the dark siders and FO are together, the FO and the Resistance are at odds. We have no idea the relationship of the New Republic to either, the relationship of the Rebellion to the NR or the Resistance (Did the Rebellion become the NR? If so, where did the Resistance come from? Or did it become the Resistance? If so, where did the NR come from?), or the First ORder to the Empire (is this still the Empire? Were they not fully defeated? But then why is the New Republic not fighting them? Or is this a new group following in their footsteps? If so, how did they build up and become as well-armed and staffed as the Empire, and how did they manage this without the New Republic fighting them?) Etc. The situation really is very confusing without information outside the films, and it definitely doesn't follow-on in nay logical way from ROTJ.
There questions seem to come from a more hardcore star wars fan. I wanted to know the answer to these questions but my causal fan family didn't. TFA as so said before doesn t offer a lot of info on what's going on but you can figure enough out from the other 6 films and some assumptions which may or may not be true.

Starting off with TFA is not as bad as starting someone off with RotJ for example.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Pretty great.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

So i dont know if anyone here watches Star Wars Rebels here but...
Spoiler:
They just introduced Time Travel to Star Wars

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^Whoa. That changes the entire setting and storytelling possibilities for the future.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Eep! Avid watcher, devastated last week, but haven't caught up with this week's episodes yet. Now I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what is in them, so I can come back and read that spoiler...

Maranatha!

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

ShinGi wrote:So i dont know if anyone here watches Star Wars Rebels here but...
Spoiler:
I can only see that ending poorly.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Loganrules115 wrote:
Spoiler:
Star Trek has been doing the same thing from the get go, so what harm can it do here?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:
Spoiler:
Star Trek has been doing the same thing from the get go, so what harm can it do here?
Star Trek is, at its core, an anthology. It can basically do anything, alter anything, reset anything, and it doesn't really matter how it impacts "the larger story," because any larger story is a secondary (at best) concern.

Star Wars is, at its core, a saga. While I'm entirely in favor of bold choices being made in how that saga moves forward, anything that threatens the mainstream fan's understanding of the basic integrity of events as depicted on-screen could be disastrous.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

LegendZilla wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:
Spoiler:
Star Trek has an established precedent for time travel, Star Wars does not (visions of the past/future aside).
My major concern is what other additions are made to the franchise that are merely there for being unexpected.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The new element in Rebels was set up in a way that only Ezra in that setting will be able to use it that one time.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Ack.
Spoiler:
They brought her back again. Curses, rage-quit, I-hate-you-Filoni, just let the characters have their own spotlight instead of upstaging them with characters from a defunct show that already got more seasons than they did, etc., etc.
I think I'm past mustering the energy to get truly aggravated, but I just want to make the statement principle. :)

Loganrules115 wrote:Star Trek has an established precedent for time travel, Star Wars does not (visions of the past/future aside).
Spoiler:
So, nerd-glasses on- technically, Star Wars already had time-travel, in limited instances. One was more of time-dilation from relativity, and the other was Force-based time-travel that was never clear on whether it could alter the past (but seemingly could?)- both from the novels. There was also a Force-Stargate systems before (the Infinity Gates) from the comics, so in some ways, this is a re-purposing.

That said, this is kind of all of those things combined and on acid... but apparently a one-off that was destroyed? Although unless there was something special about this one backwater planet where it was built, there's no reason the Jedi couldn't have built more...
But I suspect it'll remain constrained to the TV shows only, whatever they do. It felt a little jarring to me- I think it was primarily there solely for the purposes of a Deus-Ex-Machina to accomplish what I put in the first spoiler section, and have it around either for the finale or for the rumored new sequel-trilogy-set animated series. Looking at it in context, I think the whole thing (including a callback to the most controversial and insane part of TCW) was created almost solely for that purpose, with its wider implications left as incidental. (Though that's just my assumption). I would rather it had been treated differently (perhaps you can't actually change things, or bring other things in, or... something?), as it felt a little setting-breaking... but if it remains isolated, I can treat it as an eye-brow rising divergeance that is best forgotten. And the actual execution of the setting was very cool.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maranatha!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I wonder if they're planning to retcon the events of The Last Jedi. Doing so is basically admission they messed up. But that should have been obvious before they even filmed the thing. The Original Trilogy characters were killed off unceremoniously and now there are only half-baked characters to carry the last installment in the trilogy. On top of that they wasted all of the potentially interesting plot threads The Force Awakens left hanging. Kylo Ren, who has been stripped of all menace, would not make for a satisfying main antagonist and realistically the First Order is too big to fail. These guys wiped out an entire solar system and no one responded. The Resistance has been reduced to a mere handful of individuals and The New Republic military was destroyed in The Force Awakens. Not much for storytelling opportunities or incentive to finish the trilogy. But as much as I don't care for the movie or what it does to the universe, I don't see any good coming out of the introduction of time travel. The Force Awakens wrote this trilogy into a corner I knew they wouldn't able to work their way out of. Might as well continue with the natural conclusion to all this, give people time to forget about this mess, and reboot the franchise several years down the road if they have to since they still need recoup the initial investment and advertisement for the theme park they have to.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

kamilleblu wrote:I wonder if they're planning to retcon the events of The Last Jedi. Doing so is basically admission they messed up. But that should have been obvious before they even filmed the thing.
SO much truth in this post.

And apparently, Disney has indicated that they regreat allowing so many characters to be killed off mid-trilogy. So there's some admission of making a mistake already. (If they recognized that discarding Han and Luke after giving both of them the EXACT SAME not-true-to-their-character arcs, it would be even better.)

And you capture perfectly the logistical and logical nonsense of these films' events, and the very untennable setup for any sequels, or any rebuilding-the-galaxy prospects in the Phyrric aftermath.

Maranatha!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If anything is retconed due to time travel I could see them going back to the clone wars era and retelling Anakin's story.

One fan had a theory that Rey could travel back and try to prevent Anakin's fall for example.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

miguelnuva wrote:If anything is retconed due to time travel I could see them going back to the clone wars era and retelling Anakin's story.

One fan had a theory that Rey could travel back and try to prevent Anakin's fall for example.
I can only see the fanbase tearing itself apart further if such an attempt were made.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Retcon the Prequel Trilogy? That would officially kill both the Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy in one fell swoop. I don't think it would be in Disney's interests to allow such a divisive move at the moment if they have long term goals for the franchise. In addition to many fans up in arms about Disney's output thus far, The Last Jedi performed far below initial projections by hundreds of millions of dollars. And that's with Disney rigging the game in their favor and against any competing movies by demanding theaters adhere to one month premium screen exclusivity. If Solo fails to impress the series will really be skating on thin ice and so far it doesn't look very promising. Why Han Solo without Harrison Ford? Why wasn't a Obi-Wan Kenobi film the first thing on the list? Ewan Mcgregor was the most well-received actor of the Prequel Trilogy and he's in the perfect state to reprise his role.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

kamilleblu wrote:Retcon the Prequel Trilogy? That would officially kill both the Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy in one fell swoop. I don't think it would be in Disney's interests to allow such a divisive move at the moment if they have long term goals for the franchise. In addition to many fans up in arms about Disney's output thus far, The Last Jedi performed far below initial projections by hundreds of millions of dollars. And that's with Disney rigging the game in their favor and against any competing movies by demanding theaters adhere to one month premium screen exclusivity. If Solo fails to impress the series will really be skating on thin ice and so far it doesn't look very promising. Why Han Solo without Harrison Ford? Why wasn't a Obi-Wan Kenobi film the first thing on the list? Ewan Mcgregor was the most well-received actor of the Prequel Trilogy and he's in the perfect state to reprise his role.
TLJ under preformed in the same way Age of Ultron did, it fell short of what Disney wanted but it was still a box office hit. Any film that makes over a billion is a success no matter what. Solo should also still make at least 500m in the summer which would be a success. Star Wars is far from thin ice, a lot of fans got turned off but unless Solo and IX bomb the series as of right now is fine.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Let’s look at some numbers. Hang tight, it's going to be a long one.

The Avengers made $1.519 billion back in 2012 and Age of Ultron made $1.405 billion in 2015. Disney publicly expressed disappointment in the $114 million drop between movies and Josh Whedon and others got axed. This is important. Later in 2015, The Force Awakens made $2.068 billion and three years later, its sequel, The Last Jedi made $1.330 billion. That’s a $738 million difference between installments. You’ll probably want to explain that The Force Awakens was a cultural phenomenon and no one expected The Last Jedi to do similar numbers. But that’s far from the case. Initial estimates for The Last Jedi ranged from $1.7-$1.9 billion dollars and its massive opening weekend suggested those estimates were quite accurate.

But, as I stated earlier, The Last Jedi only crawled to a $1.330 billion total and that’s $370-$570 million below expectations. What went wrong? It had the second largest opening weekend of all time (behind only The Force Awakens)? Remember the massive opening weekend? It was followed by the biggest weekend to weekend drop off of all time with a -67.5% drop. Even after that huge drop it was still expected to reach $1.6 billion total. We both know it didn’t meet that goal either. Anyway, notice what happens to its week day grosses after the one month exclusivity expires: they halve and average around $500,000 daily. That’s less than half of what The Force Awakens was making during the same point of its run and slightly less than what Rogue One was making.

But that still isn’t the whole story. In my previous post I mentioned how Disney rigged the game in its favor with premium screen exclusivity. What did I mean by that? It means Disney forced theaters to keep The Last Jedi on the best screens in the house for an entire month (two times longer than usual) so any other film that released was restricted to smaller and fewer screens. Smaller and fewer screens means less opportunity to make money. Neither The Force Awakens nor Rogue One had that advantage.

Further humiliation came from Jumanji. No one was excited about that movie. It was a sequel no one wanted and many complained about the liberties it took with the source material. But Jumanji, which opened only a week afterwards, dethroned The Last Jedi before the end of December and remained in the top ten long after the Star Wars sequel fell off the charts. By the way, Jumanji is still in the top ten highest weekend grosses and currently sitting at $930 million. January is traditionally a terrible month for movies and The Last Jedi was out of the top ten before February.

This begs the question how much less would The Last Jedi have made without Disney’s underhanded tactics. Did people watch The Last Jedi because it was their first choice or because it was the only option? Admittedly this is hearsay, but I heard there were cases of theaters not being able to meet the demand for Jumanji because of the Star Wars commitment and that means less money in their pockets. If that’s true they’ll never agree to such terms again.

Let’s not forget that The Last Jedi was so much of a massive failure in the China that they’re debating about allowing future releases in the country. A major franchise banned from what will soon be the largest movie market in the world. Not a good development. Solo: A Star Wars Story will still be released. Although it’s being marketed as Ranger Solo to distance it from the Star Wars brand and it will probably be the deciding factor for the future of the franchise in the country.

All of that without getting into how The Last Jedi is the lowest audience rated Star Wars ever on a number of review sites. Lower than even the prequels on Rotten Tomatoes and the site said the reviews were legitimate. There was no brigade. So word of mouth for the movie was mixed at best. Probably leaning more towards negative. By the way, the merchandise sales were down significantly from Rogue One which were down from The Force Awakens. If Disney was disappointed with Age of Ultron, what sort of discussions are happening behind the scenes after this fiasco?