The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Re: Star Wars

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Also Grievous was good.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Tyler wrote:
shinmattiathekaiju wrote:Also Grievous was good.
In the cartoon...
And the CGI show and Revenge of the Sith when he was in action
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

GodzillavsZilla wrote:
Tyler wrote:
shinmattiathekaiju wrote:Also Grievous was good.
In the cartoon...
And the CGI show and Revenge of the Sith when he was in action
...he was in action in Revenge of the Sith? i seem to remember him running at every possible opportunity, and he lost to a jedi who thought kicking a metal leg was a good idea. the phrase "wasted potental" comes to mind

i don't know anything about the CGI show tho, have they potrayed Grievous as a legitimate Jedi slayer/threat in that?
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

The H-Man
GPN Volunteer

Post by The H-Man »

I think Lucas dropped the ball on Grevious. He was supposed to be this terrifying creature, but he honestly is almost comical with that cough of his.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

The H-Man wrote:I think Lucas dropped the ball on Grevious. He was supposed to be this terrifying creature, but he honestly is almost comical with that cough of his.
If you were only eyes, brain, heart, and lungs, you'd probably cough a lot too.
bleep bloop

GojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by GojiFan »

Legionmaster wrote:
The H-Man wrote:I think Lucas dropped the ball on Grevious. He was supposed to be this terrifying creature, but he honestly is almost comical with that cough of his.
If you were only eyes, brain, heart, and lungs, you'd probably cough a lot too.
He also got injured by Mace Windu just before the opening sequence of RotS.
Legionmaster wrote:You can't counter-seduce, women can shut down their libido at will. It's scary fast too. You'll have to do the man version: punch her in the face.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

I don't buy that Mace injured him. First of all there's two explanations out there for it. One was that Mace threw a STAP at him (comics). The other was that Mace just force crushed his insides. However the reason he really coughs is because Lucas wanted him to be a sort of prototype for the Tech that keeps Vader alive.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

RedZillaKing wrote:. However the reason he really coughs is because Lucas wanted him to be a sort of prototype for the Tech that keeps Vader alive.
This is the correct reason. The CGI show has found a balance between cartoon Grievous and ROTS Grievous though.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by GojiFan »

RedZillaKing wrote:I don't buy that Mace injured him. First of all there's two explanations out there for it. One was that Mace threw a STAP at him (comics). The other was that Mace just force crushed his insides. However the reason he really coughs is because Lucas wanted him to be a sort of prototype for the Tech that keeps Vader alive.
He did always cough a bit, but it is made quite clear through the various films or whatever that he was substantially injured by Windu prior to the space battle seen in episode 3.
Legionmaster wrote:You can't counter-seduce, women can shut down their libido at will. It's scary fast too. You'll have to do the man version: punch her in the face.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

CGI show has been mixed on Grievous. Characterization-wise, he's in between - still a bit of a pussy, but a badass when fighting. Also, the cough is still there but toned down.

But his design in the show is one of the worse ones, IMO.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

Grevious was a real badass in those Star Wars shorts that CN used to show. This was back in 05.
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

GojiFan wrote:
RedZillaKing wrote:I don't buy that Mace injured him. First of all there's two explanations out there for it. One was that Mace threw a STAP at him (comics). The other was that Mace just force crushed his insides. However the reason he really coughs is because Lucas wanted him to be a sort of prototype for the Tech that keeps Vader alive.
He did always cough a bit, but it is made quite clear through the various films or whatever that he was substantially injured by Windu prior to the space battle seen in episode 3.
What films? I've only seen EU stuff and I don't even consider that canon by any stretch. I sure as hell don't consider the microseries anything close to film canon. It isn't mentioned in the actual films or the actual Clone Wars CGI series so how could it be canonical?

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

RedZillaKing wrote:I sure as hell don't consider the microseries anything close to film canon. It isn't mentioned in the actual films or the actual Clone Wars CGI series so how could it be canonical?
Those stories were intended to bridge the gap between Attack and Revenge. We get the explanation as to why Anakin looks different now, the entire setup for where Revenge begins (the kidnapping of Palpatine), and general "this is what the Clone War looks like" stuff.

And I don't know where people get the idea that Grievous is a pussy. If you're the general of a revolutionary force and your navy gets splattered across a solar system by the government you're revolting against, it's pretty advisable to get the fudge out of there and not get murdered. He's not a wimp, he's a slippery survivor.
bleep bloop

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

RedZillaKing wrote: I've only seen EU stuff and I don't even consider that canon by any stretch. I sure as hell don't consider the microseries anything close to film canon. It isn't mentioned in the actual films or the actual Clone Wars CGI series so how could it be canonical?
Uhm... you do know that the current CG series has all its animaiton designs based on the Micro series right?? The creators of the current CW series have worked very hard not to counteract anything that happened in the Microseries because they (and Lucas) consider it canon as well. Unfortunately it dosen't matter what you and I think, its their fictional universe, and they can pretty much do what they want. I dont like some of the stories told, but they are what they are. I cant tell anyone they didn't happen, or dont count just because I dont like them. I ust ignore them unless the subject comes up. I just cant wait until the current series ends. I wonder if they will try to reconcile the differences between Micro seies episode #25, and the events of the novel "Labrynth of Evil". Many of the characters are the same, but the order of events preceeding "Episode III" are slightly different.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Lol. We have three different sources telling three different stories that contradict each other- all supposedly leading up to yhe beginning of episode III. The characters in the microseries are incredibly exagerrated (Grievous running up and down walls, Mace Windu Force fuing a battalion of SBDs to scrap LMAO), whereas the ones in the comic book and novel are truer to their film counterparts. If I was going to go with anything as "canon" (and what a soft canon it is) I'd go with the comics.

I honestly laugh at the EU depictions of Jedi. They're like gods with magical laser sticks that can do anything! I love how Grievous is depicted on the Clone Wars CGI show. Very true to the film.

@Legionmaster- I agree.... Grievous was no fool to abandon ship. Was he going to die for a bunch of Battle Droids? Who he hates, btw.

GojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by GojiFan »

RedZillaKing wrote:If I was going to go with anything as "canon" (and what a soft canon it is) I'd go with the comics.
Again, it does matter that you think it is canon. Lucas has said the micro series IS canon. Also, the novel "Labyrinth of Evil" was released before the last season of the micro-series (which had Lucas' blessing). Some of what happens in the series is hokey. Mace was known however to have incredible use of the force involving hand-to-hand combat and shatter points. He had hit Kar Vastor, a practitioner of Teras Kasi, six times before he could even blink. Anyways, the events of the last season have been stated to lead directly into the the beginning of Episode III. Trying to say they are not canon or less canon than some novels when Lucas has said otherwise is pointless.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Citation or it didn't happen.

LOL Mace was never shown doing anything out of the ordinary (for a Jedi) in the films.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

RedZillaKing wrote:LOL Mace was never shown doing anything out of the ordinary (for a Jedi) in the films.
Be black.

+1 for me.
bleep bloop

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Mace is a Jedi Master...seeing him go ape shit wasn't "out of the ordinary" at all, IMO.

By using animation as opposed to live action, Lucasfilm can get away with more 'exaggerated' action sequences. None of it is over the top, and represents what the characters are capable of. I mean, they're basically superhuman..I just don't quite understand where you're coming from, Red. (and I mean that in the nicest way possible. No snark intended).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

@Legionmaster- Adi Gallia....

@Goji- no snarkiness detected man. No Jedi was ever seen displaying the kind of ridiculous superhuman powers of their animated counterparts in the films. I think that sequence with Mace was far beyond exaggeration though. Not even when the fate of the Republic was in the balance did he Force Fu Palpatine and his office to shreds.