The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by miguelnuva »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Is the mandalorian as good as everyone says it is? I’m probably gonna start watching it tomorrow.
My brother and I very much enjoyed it and my Mother that isn't really a star wars fan enjoyed it as well.

Added in 1 month 10 days 1 hour 13 minutes 51 seconds:
https://youtu.be/T2hWr1nhklY

https://youtu.be/AFWXyiQqQ6s

Discussing rumors from Doomcock about a Lucas cut of Episode Ix.

Its and intreasting watch.

P.s. There's a potentially scary rumor about Kotor as well I'm another video.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Honestly, I'd love a "Lucas Cut" of the entire Sequel Trilogy.

Give him and a team of collaborators(like Feloni, Favreau) a blank check and full access to the editing and VFX teams. Give them the access to all alternate/deleted footage, give them free reign to film new material, and to re-work the sequel trilogy however they see fit to minimize the bad and maximize the good. I feel that with a lot of heavy edits and a good amount of re-working....we could probably get a VERSION of the sequel trilogy that isn't an insult to the saga.

But honestly....the "Lucas Cut" I would be most interested in seeing is a sequel trilogy built off of Lucas' original story treatments. You let Favreau and Filoni write/direct/produce an all-CGI adaptation of the Lucas story treatments....and I think we would be in for something awesome.

Added in 5 days 8 hours 13 minutes 15 seconds:
Funny enough....there is now a hot rumor swirling that Disney and Kathleen Kennedy will be "parting ways" and Disney is trying hard to bring George Lucas back to Lucasfilm and to the Star Wars franchise.

ALLEGEDLY....his stipulations for coming back are:
1. Lucas makes his sequel trilogy
2. Lucas has full creative control until he decides to give it up
3. Kathleen Kennedy is gone
4. Disney agrees to never touch the original trilogy

If Lucas is calling the shots....and he is able to bring his "sequel Trilogy" to life...I have to imagine it will be as full CGI films. In a Beowulf/Avatar-style "realistic" aesthetic, using performance capture and voice work. That way, people like Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill would simply be returning to 'voice' their characters...and the inevitable re-casting of Leia would be a LITTLE easier to sell if things were crossing over into animation.

That would then provide flexibility in terms of the timeline in which Lucas' sequels could occur. He wouldn't have to force a 40 year gap between trilogies. He could have it occur only 20-25 years after the original trilogy if he chose.

A George Lucas ran sequel trilogy would almost certainly include individuals like Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni. Filoni has a long history with animated Star Wars shows. Jon Favreau delivered The Jungle Book and The Lion King, films that pushed for photo-realistic CGI.....and of course, both have already helped deliver live action Star Wars excellence with The Mandalorian. So they have animation/CGI and Star Wars in common.

Also....Lucas leaned more and more on CGI as his career progressed. I think he likes the idea of crafting the entire thing in a computer where every single little detail and element is completely controllable.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I think its pretty likely Lucas will be brought back on in some capacity. I don't think he'll be made the head of Lucasfilm but probably in a important and influential position

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Chrispy_G wrote:Honestly, I'd love a "Lucas Cut" of the entire Sequel Trilogy.

Give him and a team of collaborators(like Feloni, Favreau) a blank check and full access to the editing and VFX teams. Give them the access to all alternate/deleted footage, give them free reign to film new material, and to re-work the sequel trilogy however they see fit to minimize the bad and maximize the good. I feel that with a lot of heavy edits and a good amount of re-working....we could probably get a VERSION of the sequel trilogy that isn't an insult to the saga.

But honestly....the "Lucas Cut" I would be most interested in seeing is a sequel trilogy built off of Lucas' original story treatments. You let Favreau and Filoni write/direct/produce an all-CGI adaptation of the Lucas story treatments....and I think we would be in for something awesome.

Added in 5 days 8 hours 13 minutes 15 seconds:
Funny enough....there is now a hot rumor swirling that Disney and Kathleen Kennedy will be "parting ways" and Disney is trying hard to bring George Lucas back to Lucasfilm and to the Star Wars franchise.

ALLEGEDLY....his stipulations for coming back are:
1. Lucas makes his sequel trilogy
2. Lucas has full creative control until he decides to give it up
3. Kathleen Kennedy is gone
4. Disney agrees to never touch the original trilogy

If Lucas is calling the shots....and he is able to bring his "sequel Trilogy" to life...I have to imagine it will be as full CGI films. In a Beowulf/Avatar-style "realistic" aesthetic, using performance capture and voice work. That way, people like Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill would simply be returning to 'voice' their characters...and the inevitable re-casting of Leia would be a LITTLE easier to sell if things were crossing over into animation.

That would then provide flexibility in terms of the timeline in which Lucas' sequels could occur. He wouldn't have to force a 40 year gap between trilogies. He could have it occur only 20-25 years after the original trilogy if he chose.

A George Lucas ran sequel trilogy would almost certainly include individuals like Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni. Filoni has a long history with animated Star Wars shows. Jon Favreau delivered The Jungle Book and The Lion King, films that pushed for photo-realistic CGI.....and of course, both have already helped deliver live action Star Wars excellence with The Mandalorian. So they have animation/CGI and Star Wars in common.

Also....Lucas leaned more and more on CGI as his career progressed. I think he likes the idea of crafting the entire thing in a computer where every single little detail and element is completely controllable.
I'd be completely okay with all of this
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

That sounds like total horseshit designed to titillate the type of people who are OUTRAGED!! by these new movies.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Disney would never admit they fucked up. They'd much rather continue to push the "if you don't like it you're a sexist/racist/troll/manbaby" narrative. So long as they can pin the blame on the fans, they'll continue to do so to uphold their own reputation.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Disney would never admit they skreeonked up. They'd much rather continue to push the "if you don't like it you're a sexist/racist/troll/manbaby" narrative. So long as they can pin the blame on the fans, they'll continue to do so to uphold their own reputation.
This is also true
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Yeah, it sounds like a one-in-a-million likelihood of happening....but it would certainly be for the best.

The Disney Trilogy was one massively missed opportunity. They had every living cast-member willing to return, they had key pieces of the team like Ben Burtt and John Williams returning. They were basically all set to hit a home run.

Except they minimized the most important ingredient of all: George Lucas himself.

He was never going to run the entire production, but leading him on only to throw out his story treatments and basically drive him out of the process was clearly the wrong move. If ever there was a time to let him in and let him retain a degree of influence, it would be on the 3 films concluding HIS original saga.

It felt very much like Kathleen Kennedy being over-eager to take control, and put her stamp on it, and succeed in doing. It felt like a pride thing. She didn't need Lucas' help to do something amazing with Star Wars, and she was going to prove it. Well....we see how it turned out.

Granted, he also made the mistake of making whatever deal he made. If he was truly invested in how the sequels went, I am sure he could have made his own veto-power or influence a stipulation of the sale. Or he could have held onto Lucasfilm long enough to oversee the sequels himself, and then sell to Disney after. He was either too naive to suspect what they would do, or simply far too trusting that they would follow his lead at all. The fact that they purchased his treatments clearly meant more to him than it ever did to Disney.

In a world where we can get the Snyder cut of Justice League, to at least see how Snyder would have finished his story arc, for better or worse....then we can MAYBE MAYBE get a version of the sequel trilogy that is in line with Lucas' vision.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Naaaaahh I think a George Lucas cut of the ST is something that will never happen. He didn't even have any involvement in the ST up until EP-9 if you believe some of the rumors so what is there for him to make an edit of? It'd be him just making an extended edition with whatever deleted scenes or narration he could cram into it all

The Synder cut worked because of how much was left on the cutting room floor and because Synder played a heavy part in the film's production. The Synder Cut only happened due to a ton of different circumstances fan demand was merely a flicker in it people need to stop saying "We can get this! and this now!"

The Synder-Cut is still production and hasn't even been released yet, we'll only know if this endeavour is successful when it releases. All this sudden demand and clickbait is like ordering dinner at a strange restaurant and before you even get it to see how it is you go and order a whole buffet tray of dessert
Last edited by ROMG4 on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

ROMG4 wrote:Naaaaahh I think a George Lucas cut of the ST is something that will never happen. He didn't even have any involvement in the ST up until EP-9 if you believe some of the rumors so what is there for him to make an edit of? It'd be him just making an extended edition with whatever deleted scenes or narration he could cram into it all

The Synder cut worked because of how much was left on the cutting room floor and because Synder played a heavy part in the film's production. The Synder Cut only happened due to a ton of different circumstances fan demand was merely a flicker in it people need to stop saying "We can get this! and this now!"

The Synder-Cut is still production and hasn't even been released yet, we'll only know if this endeavour is successful when it releases. All this sudden demand and clickbait is like ordering dinner at a strange restaurant and before you even get it to see how it is you go and order a whole buffet tray of dessert
I'm not talking about him doing an edit of the ST(although allegedly there IS a "Lucas Cut" of Episode 9 that is about 40% different)....although I would be up for that. Alternate takes, unused footage, removal of some material, etc

I'm referring more to the rumor that if he is to return, he wants to make HIS episode 7-9....and if THAT is going to happen...big big IF...I see him just going the animated/all CGI route.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

At best, Lucas could have his own animated series to finish his version of the story. Maybe even adapt the Thrawn Trilogy.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Chrispy_G wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:Naaaaahh I think a George Lucas cut of the ST is something that will never happen. He didn't even have any involvement in the ST up until EP-9 if you believe some of the rumors so what is there for him to make an edit of? It'd be him just making an extended edition with whatever deleted scenes or narration he could cram into it all

I'm not talking about him doing an edit of the ST(although allegedly there IS a "Lucas Cut" of Episode 9 that is about 40% different)....although I would be up for that. Alternate takes, unused footage, removal of some material, etc

I'm referring more to the rumor that if he is to return, he wants to make HIS episode 7-9....and if THAT is going to happen...big big IF...I see him just going the animated/all CGI route.
As intriguing as that is....I really just want them to move on now. Its over the bottle's been open and spilled there's no getting it back

Carrie Fisher's passed away, Harrison isn't going to come back even if they guarantee him a new Indiana Jones film, Mark's burnt out the only one left that would be happy to appear is Billy Dee Williams

The Sequel Trilogy's already been done and George if he could adapt his Sequel Trilogy plan, it's just going to focus on his Microscopic Whills of the Force thing and really I just couldn't care bloody less about a "redo". I'm done with the "future of the OT" leave the ST setting as it is.

That said I'll totally take a Lando animated spin-off series. GIVE ME MORE BILLY!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Loganrules115 wrote:At best, Lucas could have his own animated series to finish his version of the story. Maybe even adapt the Thrawn Trilogy.
Lucas didn't make the Thrrawn Trilogy and had no plans for Thrawn so what ever is going on with him will be Filoni's doing.
ROMG4 wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:

As intriguing as that is....I really just want them to move on now. Its over the bottle's been open and spilled there's no getting it back

Carrie Fisher's passed away, Harrison isn't going to come back even if they guarantee him a new Indiana Jones film, Mark's burnt out the only one left that would be happy to appear is Billy Dee Williams

The Sequel Trilogy's already been done and George if he could adapt his Sequel Trilogy plan, it's just going to focus on his Microscopic Whills of the Force thing and really I just couldn't care bloody less about a "redo". I'm done with the "future of the OT" leave the ST setting as it is.

That said I'll totally take a Lando animated spin-off series. GIVE ME MORE BILLY!
Mark Hamil is upset because of the way Disney treated him. If George Lucas was doing something animated Mark would be there in a heartbeat.

Also if it's CGI I can see Ford coming back as he came back for IX and it was said he had more fun on TFA then he did with the OT.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Yeah, if it were an animated or all CGI thing with Lucas at the helm, I think Hamill would come back in a heartbeat especially since he is such a prolific and talented voice actor.

Ford lending his voice is a much easier sell than asking him to come back for a ton of filming.

If Ford says no, there is always that one guy who basically made a career out of looking and sounding like a young Harrison Ford(He even played the young version of Ford in the film Age of Adaline.

I'm sure pretty much all of the cast could be convinced to return for voice roles for an animated/CGI film. If not, finding sound-alikes is much easier than doing a full re-cast in a live action film. Plenty of people never realized that Hugo Weaving was replaced as Red Skull in Infinity War and Endgame.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

For better or worse, I think we are stuck with the sequel trilogy for the foreseeable future. When the prequels came out, people hated them and wanted them thrown out. Now, people like me (who grew up with the prequels) love them. The sequel trilogy will likely be the same. I am just excited to see Disney starting to tell stories they want to tell. I am excited for the High Republic because the aesthetic looks really neat. Only time will tell.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Last night, the wife and I gave TRoS a fifth chance, and this is... the least bad I've found it.

I have a friend who likes the movie more than I do, but one area we've identified where he and I totally differ in our tastes/analysis is that I am primarily concerned with how well the pieces of a story fit together to form a meaningful whole that is greater than the sum of its parts, whereas he responds to everything piecemeal, judging each scene on its immediate entertainment value and not really concerned with how well it creates any kind of actual story.

This time through, I did my best to watch the movie the way he does.

The first half or so was still abysmal. There's just no forgiving it. As my wife put it, "It feels like every scene is missing its second act." Nothing is organic, nothing is allowed to breathe, it's just a rush of empty incident and sloppy exposition. I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy the first half of the movie.

The second half, though, is at least mostly fun. The thing is, it's not like watching an actual Star Wars movie so much as it's like eating Star Wars Cereal, with marshmallow lightsabers. It's sweet and it's colorful and it reminds you of Star Wars. It comes with a hologram on the front of the box with an image from one of the earlier Star Wars movies, and if you eat enough Star Wars Cereal, you can collect all 10!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote:Last night, the wife and I gave TRoS a fifth chance, and this is... the least bad I've found it.
You watched it five times? You're a stronger man than me, mate. I'm not sure I'd survive a second watch with my sanity left intact.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
eabaker wrote:Last night, the wife and I gave TRoS a fifth chance, and this is... the least bad I've found it.
You watched it five times? You're a stronger man than me, mate. I'm not sure I'd survive a second watch with my sanity left intact.
Oh, man, the first time was one of the worst times! At least on repeat viewing I know when to expect that very stupidest moments, and can prepare myself accordingly!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shoopwoop17 wrote:For better or worse, I think we are stuck with the sequel trilogy for the foreseeable future. When the prequels came out, people hated them and wanted them thrown out. Now, people like me (who grew up with the prequels) love them. The sequel trilogy will likely be the same. I am just excited to see Disney starting to tell stories they want to tell. I am excited for the High Republic because the aesthetic looks really neat. Only time will tell.
The sequels are here to stay and they should stay because they are apart of Star Wars.

With the prequels however OT fans just hated the films. Games were selling well, comics and books were fine with Clone Wars being hushed and toys sold.

With the ST none of those other categories are selling right now.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote: The sequels are here to stay and they should stay because they are apart of Star Wars.

With the prequels however OT fans just hated the films. Games were selling well, comics and books were fine with Clone Wars being hushed and toys sold.

With the ST none of those other categories are selling right now.

It helps that in the time of the PT, LucusArts wasn't involved with EA. Now it is. And now the games suck.

No, I'm not bitter at all, why do you ask?
Last edited by Spuro on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.