The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:While Anakin is definitely trying to live up to the title I'd argue someone like Neo earned it.
See, I would say the difference between those two is that Anakin failed to live up to the title, while Neo succeeded. But both had it bestowed upon them essentially by virtue of their creation, not by anything they'd yet achieved.
Anakin actually lives up to it with the way Anakin and Vader are being treated nowadays where it's more like a new personality on top of him turning evil. During the clone wars he finally hits his stride and is a hero, he has a horror backslide when he becomes Vader but in the end he returns and destroys Vader and Sidious. Rotj has such a powerful ending when once actually thinks about it and looks at the first 6 films. It was already great capping off just the OT but adding the PT really cements it.

As for Neo, he at first doesn't believe he's the One, and has to fight against Smith which is something that isn't possible, has to start believing and then dies before he is able to become The One which is why I feel his title is earned. Where Anakin as you said is trying to live up to the title.

Anakin is given power and has learn to master it, Neo on the other hand had to find his power.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I just watched the first two episodes of The Mandalorian, and I have one thing to say...

I want a BLURRG!!! For my Vintage AND my 6-inch Black Series!!! :huge:

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

According to J.J Abrams himself, Rise Of Skywalker is STILL being filmed!

We're slightly over a month and this movie isn't quite ready yet. Why didn't Disney just delay the movie to Feb of next year when the had the chance?

This is utterly ridiculous to the umpteenth degree.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rhedosaurus wrote:According to J.J Abrams himself, Rise Of Skywalker is STILL being filmed!

We're slightly over a month and this movie isn't quite ready yet. Why didn't Disney just delay the movie to Feb of next year when the had the chance?

Nowhere in that article does he say that they're still shooting, even pickups. They simply don't seem to have a final Picture Lock yet, although even that's not outright stated; they could still be refining effects, music, and sound design.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It’s almost as if people making these articles (and likewise those sharing them) don’t have any idea how the filmmaking process works.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

eabaker wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:According to J.J Abrams himself, Rise Of Skywalker is STILL being filmed!

Nowhere in that article does he say that they're still shooting, even pickups. They simply don't seem to have a final Picture Lock yet, although even that's not outright stated; they could still be refining effects, music, and sound design.
So it's in postproduction? As in, the thing that every movie made since 1927 goes through?

I fail to see how this is bad news.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:It’s almost as if people making these articles (and likewise those sharing them) don’t have any idea how the filmmaking process works.
It’s almost like people are actively looking for failure.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

eabaker wrote:

UltramanGoji wrote:It’s almost as if people making these articles (and likewise those sharing them) don’t have any idea how the filmmaking process works.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:So it's in postproduction? As in, the thing that every movie made since 1927 goes through?

Well, considering how this movie was made with 3 different endings, and maybe more planned...

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

New Star Wars film set for 2022, I don't mind since the more film content within my lifetime the better, however the only exciting news we know of is that the director isn't Rian. I know I know, petty repetitive this that, but honestly besides despising TLJ, I just do not enjoy his personality, it's very passive aggressive. Not just his online presence, even back during the interviews with his costars, he seemed to love to correct them or downright talk over them when they said anything crooked about his film.

Anyway pertaining to the film, Even though the likelihood is 1 in a million, I hope it's Cameron Monaghan reprising his Cal Kestis role from the new video game.

Or the much needed first of an Old Republic trilogy.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote:New Star Wars film set for 2022, I don't mind since the more film content within my lifetime the better, however the only exciting news we know of is that the director isn't Rian. I know I know, petty repetitive this that, but honestly besides despising TLJ, I just do not enjoy his personality, it's very passive aggressive. Not just his online presence, even back during the interviews with his costars, he seemed to love to correct them or downright talk over them when they said anything crooked about his film.

Anyway pertaining to the film, Even though the likelihood is 1 in a million, I hope it's Cameron Monaghan reprising his Cal Kestis role from the new video game.

Or the much needed first of an Old Republic trilogy.
With the GOT guys leaving it's either Rian's trilogy or expect a delay. I assume no Star Wars in 2022.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

miguelnuva wrote:
I assume no Star Wars in 2022.
Good. This franchise needs to die.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:So it's in postproduction? As in, the thing that every movie made since 1927 goes through?

Well, considering how this movie was made with 3 different endings, and maybe more planned...
All of this is based on speculation and rumor.

Anyways, Mandalorian Episode 2 was alright. More fanservice, but I liked the uniqueness of one of the main action scenes of the episode.
Spoiler:
The sandcrawler.
I thought the fight with the creature of the episode ended a bit lamely
Spoiler:
It seemed weird how the creature was killed by a small knife.
I think the Mandalorian will probably be alright. Not amazing, but a decent watch.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I liked episode 2 far more than the first. That comes down almost entirely to
Spoiler:
the presence of the Baby Yoda, who gives us a simultaneously wise and innocent perspective on The Mandalorian himself. The first episode lacked any kind of point of view or powerful emotional anchor, which this dynamic thankfully provides.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:I liked episode 2 far more than the first. That comes down almost entirely to
Spoiler:
the presence of the Baby Yoda, who gives us a simultaneously wise and innocent perspective on The Mandalorian himself. The first episode lacked any kind of point of view or powerful emotional anchor, which this dynamic thankfully provides.
Spoiler:
I agree, but it's also caused a problem for me as it's abundantly clear how intentionally cute and almost manipulative the inclusion of the character is. Like, I totally care more now, but at the same time I realize how it's pulling on my heartstrings cause it's a cute baby thing.
At the same time, I really liked the interactions between the Mandalorian and the farmer guy (the one who goes "I have spoken").

Ultimately, I think this series will live or die depending on how a supporting cast can properly interact with the lead protagonist.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Ultimately, I think this series will live or die depending on how a supporting cast can properly interact with the lead protagonist.
Yeah, 100% agreed. I suspect that we're always going to be kept at a certain distance from The Mandalorian himself - I doubt that they're gonna start taking that mask off anytime soon, among other things - so hopefully they can keep presenting him through the eyes of interesting characters with different personalities and perspectives.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.co ... or%3famp=1

Guess were still on for 2022.
Yes this is what I meant earlier lol.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Kathleen Kennedy says that making Star Wars movies are hard to make because of the lack of source material.
“Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack. There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be.”
I guess she forgot about the old EU like the Dark Horse comics she rendered non-canon.
Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Kathleen Kennedy says that making Star Wars movies are hard to make because of the lack of source material.
“Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack. There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be.”
I guess she forgot about the old EU like the Dark Horse comics she rendered non-canon.
I'm sure we're bound to hear the "99% of the EU was garbage" complaints. Which, while yes there was a solid 25% of trash, there was still a VAST amount of world building and lore that really contributed to the growth of the SW universe. Fantastic individual Clone stories were happening before the CW cartoon, Order 66 was INCREDIBLY built upon, we got to see more of characters we never got to see otherwise and of course, The Old Republic needs no introductions.

Then KatKen and her Mouse Empire sniped the entire universe out of existence with the snap of their fingers, (ironic isn't it?) now she's doing the classic play dumb role, acting like 95% of the EU (including some of the trash ones) weren't better than 3 out of 4 of the new Disney films.

I believe in that same interview she was asked whether she's staying on in 2021, and she responded with a simple yet telling "I don't know". So I have my ROTJ end theme music ready to play when the time comes.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Kathleen Kennedy says that making Star Wars movies are hard to make because of the lack of source material.
I'm sure we're bound to hear the "99% of the EU was garbage" complaints. Which, while yes there was a solid 25% of trash, there was still a VAST amount of world building and lore that really contributed to the growth of the SW universe. Fantastic individual Clone stories were happening before the CW cartoon, Order 66 was INCREDIBLY built upon, we got to see more of characters we never got to see otherwise and of course, The Old Republic needs no introductions.

Then KatKen and her Mouse Empire sniped the entire universe out of existence with the snap of their fingers, (ironic isn't it?) now she's doing the classic play dumb role, acting like 95% of the EU (including some of the trash ones) weren't better than 3 out of 4 of the new Disney films.

I believe in that same interview she was asked whether she's staying on in 2021, and she responded with a simple yet telling "I don't know". So I have my ROTJ end theme music ready to play when the time comes.

The only good SW movie to come out of the Disney era is Rogue One. It's not perfect, but it's still a solid movie that mixes in new and different without destroying any of the classic characters.