The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by miguelnuva »

Who's ready for the Phantom menace remake staring Daisy Ridley in 10 years lol.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Couldn't be any worse than the one we got.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Thoughts on this leak? Too much? Not enough? I wouldn't be a fan of it, personally.
Spoiler:
Kylo follows Palpatine's influence until the point where Palpatine orders him to execute Rey, who would have traveled to the Unknown Regions to defeat the former Emperor. That would force Palpatine to take hold of Matt Smith's character (who is mentioned in recent links as a Dark Side acolyte). They fight, but Palpatine will then jump into Kylo's body. Kylo will contain Palpatine inside of himself long enough for Rey to kill him, ending the saga.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Rian Johnson on the Freedom of His ‘Star Wars’ Trilogy & ‘Knives Out’
Following his work on Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Johnson will now create an entirely new story that is disconnected from the main Skywalker saga.

“I think that the fun and challenging part of it is to dive in, figure out what’s exciting and then figure out what it’s going to be,” he said. “We’re doing something that steps beyond the legacy characters. What does that look like? To me, the blue sky element of it is what was most striking about it. I know the way that I’m coming at it and what’s fun about it for everyone in George Lucas’ films is figuring out, ‘what’s the next step?’ It really makes you think and figure out what the essence of Star Wars is for me and what that will look like moving forward.”
based disney
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

He'll find a way to finaggle some BS in there.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:He'll find a way to finaggle some BS in there.
By which you mean... he'll tell a story that likely won't appeal to you and some other viewers, personally, while conversely working very well for some different set of viewers?
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That describes most films in general, bad and good, so i'll go with yes?

He just reskinned most of the OT in one film with flimsy duct tape and staples lol.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

_JNavs_ wrote:Thoughts on this leak? Too much? Not enough? I wouldn't be a fan of it, personally.
Spoiler:
Kylo follows Palpatine's influence until the point where Palpatine orders him to execute Rey, who would have traveled to the Unknown Regions to defeat the former Emperor. That would force Palpatine to take hold of Matt Smith's character (who is mentioned in recent links as a Dark Side acolyte). They fight, but Palpatine will then jump into Kylo's body. Kylo will contain Palpatine inside of himself long enough for Rey to kill him, ending the saga.
...If this is real...welp, people wanted Abrams back, here he is (?)
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:That describes most films in general, bad and good, so i'll go with yes?
That's sort of - or at least is not inconsistent with - my point...
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Star Wars has always been a mixed bag ever since ESB. Someone films get more respected over time but at the end of the day I've never seen a film do to the franchise what Last Jedi did.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

There is definitely something that separates it from the rest of the pack. Ironically, it is not being 'worse' than any of the others; Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones both had very low opinions; they just had universally-low opinion. The unique thing about TLJ, the thing that turns it into a powderkeg, is its su=imultaneous ability to be a flagrant insult and a resounding triumph to different elements within the same fandom. Better than the best for some, worse than the worst for others.

If it was just 'the worst Star Wars movie,' we wouldn't be having this conversation, because we'd all agree. If it was just 'fantastic Star Wars that really captures the essence,' we wouldn't be having this conversation, because we'd all agree. The unique thing about it- the thing that is making it destroy the fandom, is that it is both those things to different people.

So, I don't think we can, with any confidence, call its quality variable, poor, or excellent; but rather, recognize that it has a quality of winnowing; of striking to the heart of what people love in Star Wars, cleaving it straight down the middle, and separating those in one camp from those in another by embodying what half of people see Star Wars as and love about it, and absolutely rejecting what the other half of people see Star Wars as and love about it. It manages to take something with universal appeal and really focus and drill-down on one aspect of its many facets, becoming a masterpiece for those who loved that aspect, and a travesty for those that held a different facet as the one among those many that appealed to them.

That's my theory, at least.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote:Star Wars has always been a mixed bag ever since ESB.
I'll go one step further and say that it's been all downhill since ESB. I liked ROJ as a kid but it's harder and harder for me to get into. The prequels suck and TFA wasn't a whole lot better. I skipped TLJ because I didn't like what I saw from the trailers, but I have been curious to check it out because it's such a polarizing movie. Rogue One was eh and I have no interest in seeing Solo.

In the thread poll the only film I voted for was the original. That's far and away my favorite of the series. ESB is probably the better movie all things considered but it doesn't thrill me the way that first film does.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:If it was just 'fantastic Star Wars that really captures the essence,' we wouldn't be having this conversation, because we'd all agree.
I don't see how's that's possible when there is no one thing that is "the essence" of Star Wars to all viewers.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:If it was just 'fantastic Star Wars that really captures the essence,' we wouldn't be having this conversation, because we'd all agree.
I don't see how's that's possible when there is no one thing that is "the essence" of Star Wars to all viewers.
I guess I should say 'full essence' or 'entire range'; if it captured the entire universal spectrum that appealed to everyone in the original. (Because, as the lower paragraphs point out, it captures several things that are the essence to a segment of viewers, and omits some that are the essence to another segment). I think it's just unique, because some films- like ANH- seem to have the entire spectrum. Some, like ROTJ or Rogue One, seem to capture only a portion of the spectrum (but more often than not) and are thus a bit debated. Others, like TPM and AOTC, seem to have the spectrum largely in place, but are simply lacking in certain basic qualities that still make them unpopular. TFA seemed to be the closest to capturing that full spectrum and quality in a long time, but in this case, didn't capture the full spectrum of basic qualities, leaving it debated for a different reason than TPM and AOTC.

TLJ seems to be the first film to have spectrum evenly split (and arguably the basic qualities, as many that dislike it complain about the scripting, but I'm counting that under 'spectrum of essence') despite having the acknowledged full quality. Hence, the combination of full essence (for those in the half of the spectrum it possesses) and full quality are enough to make it a beloved classic deserving of great loyalty, capturing both qualities in a way no film has since ESB, while the complete absence of the essence (for those in the half of the spectrum it lacks) make it a failure on a level that no other film has been, because even the 'bad' ones in the past have still possessed that essence, just not the basic quality.

That what I meant to communicate; if it had the essence universally, or even near-universally (like ROTJ, which doesn't work for all, but usually works to at least some degree for most), this wouldn't be a debate. It's the fact that it has the full package- essence and quality- for some, and the complete lack of it- quality, but no essence- for others, that makes it so controversial.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Here's an interesting video about why Star Wars has lost a generation.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Here's an interesting video about why Star Wars has lost a generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCVUeaJpnvs
You mean because it’s a trilogy of films from the 70’s that was never intended to continue?
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Here's an interesting video about why Star Wars has lost a generation.

[youtube]https://www.yube.com/watch?v=DCVUeaJpnvs[/yube]
You mean because it’s a trilogy of films from the 70’s that was never intended to continue?
George had the prequels planned during ESB it was always going at least 6 films.

Added in 1 minute 17 seconds:

https://youtu.be/mdbt2Or2pZ8

I thought this video had intreasting things in it.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

miguelnuva wrote: George had the prequels planned during ESB it was always going at least 6 films.
Not necessarily. The thing is, George made statements throughout that decade that it was going to be three films, six films, nine films, and twelve films. He started out with a completely different story outline (as was adapted into the comic 'The Star Wars'.) Notably, though there were some major differences, that story was basically the A New Hope storyline with the Death Star, albeit with some elements of the native Wookie planet and the Wookies attacking at the end that would be repurposed into Ewoks for Return of the Jedi. So in the early days, the story did indeed seem to start there, at the same place the original movie started. Even plans for the sequel were originally titled at 'Star Wars II' before eventually it became 'Episode 5,' so the idea of prequels seems to have happened somewhere during the writing of Empire Strikes Back.

Then after he made Star Wars, he wrote two sequels, a low-budget one (that was turned into the novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye) in case Star Wars wasn't a hit and he had to make a cheap sequel, and some rough outlines for what would become The Empire Strikes Back- although those were heavily changed, as were his plans for Return of the Jedi.

Heck, the original ticking clock in Return of the Jedi was that Luke had to defeat the emperor and eliminate the dark side in time for Obi-Wan to reincarnate back to life through the Force, before he'd been a ghost for too long and that option expired. The prequels seem to have been fairly well in place by the time of Return of the Jedi, what with the 'episode 4, 5, and 6, thing implying a 1, 2, and 3.

But anything beyond that, and certainly any continuation beyond Episode 6, does not seem to have been in any way in his mind, especially considering the way he repeatedly talked about Anakin's story and a closed saga after that.

And at any given point during the development process, it's hard to pin down exactly what his real intentions or plans for the scope of the series were, considering that he changed his story so many times that clearly whatever version of history has emerged is the one he decided he liked best, not necessarily the actual truth of what he was thinking at the time.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

So, in talking about The Mandalorian, Jon Favreau said:

"I’m trying to evoke the aesthetics of not just the original trilogy, not just the first film, but the first act of the first film. What was it like on Tatooine? What was going on in that cantina?"

But, uh... The first act of the first film?

The cantina sequence is in the second act of the first film.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

So uhhh, the poster for episode 9 is out and ummmmmmmm
Spoiler:
the madmen are actually doing it, they’re bringing back palps
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?