The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by Zarm »

And apparently, preclude it entirely, now. :(
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

miguelnuva wrote:The one movie fans keep asking for is Obi-wan and they continue to find a way to push it back.
But to be honest, do we truly need an Obi-Wan film?

In my personal opinion, these spin-offs would have been perfect for them to expand upon lesser known or even unknown characters and focus on good story telling. Sure, sprinkle in some well known characters for marketing or fan service, i get that.

But look at what Marvel did with Black Panther and Spider-Man: both were introduced in Civil War, both had solo films that did extremely little to nothing to tell their backstories (by this I mean they didn't tell an Origin Film such as Solo was). And yet Black Panther and Spider-Man Homecoming were very successful and more-or-less well received by the general audience.

So, I ask this. What more story of Obi-Wan really warrants telling? We met him as a young Apprentice in Phantom Menace, watch him grow into a Jedi Knight, to a Jedi Master, to finally die as an old man, even see him as a Force Ghost! The character is in all 6 of the Lucas-Era films in one form or another. So, while I'm sure there are definitely ways to fit in a story of Obi-Wan between the events of Episode III and IV, do we not believe the audience is savvy enough to say "Really? I know what I need to know about this character already."

This is just my opinion. I felt the same way about Han; we knew all we could ever know and nothing else was really going to change that, so what's really the point of shedding more light on such a huge well known character of the universe?

Again, my (gentle...) opinion. Not looking to start anything. But my idea of these spin-offs was much more romantic than practical, I suppose.

Added in 1 minute 33 seconds:
tl:dr: Obi-Wan would have been neat and all, but the potential for great storytelling for lesser known characters is why I liked the idea of the spin-offs.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Same as Maritonic.
In fact, I always thought that after the New Trilogy ended, Star Wars would basically continue with this Star Wars Stories, and there are still characters that can give a lot (for example, a movie focused on Count Dooku, and secondarily in Qui Gonn Jinn is something I would be interested)
That, or they made a trilogy about the Old Republic
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:So, I ask this. What more story of Obi-Wan really warrants telling? We met him as a young Apprentice in Phantom Menace, watch him grow into a Jedi Knight, to a Jedi Master, to finally die as an old man, even see him as a Force Ghost! The character is in all 6 of the Lucas-Era films in one form or another. So, while I'm sure there are definitely ways to fit in a story of Obi-Wan between the events of Episode III and IV, do we not believe the audience is savvy enough to say "Really? I know what I need to know about this character already."

This is just my opinion. I felt the same way about Han; we knew all we could ever know and nothing else was really going to change that, so what's really the point of shedding more light on such a huge well known character of the universe?

Again, my (gentle...) opinion. Not looking to start anything. But my idea of these spin-offs was much more romantic than practical, I suppose.

Added in 1 minute 33 seconds:
tl:dr: Obi-Wan would have been neat and all, but the potential for great storytelling for lesser known characters is why I liked the idea of the spin-offs.
I actually do agree with you on that one. Han's backstory, I thought, at least had potential to show us some fun origin story things... but since the Falcon, Chewie, Lando, etc. are still around, they may yet tie in to future films.

Possibly even
Spoiler:
L3's brain in the Falcon or Qi'ra still being out there.
Obi-wan, not as much; I just wouldn't mind it in among a series of other stand-alone films.
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Right, I mean, if we had no new trilogies planned, and a new "Star Wars Story" each year or two coming, I wouldn't be opposed to an Obi-Wan film. However, I just don't think these A-Level characters should be the primary focus of the spin-offs.

Love it or hate it, Rogue One is exactly what I wanted these spin-offs to be. Tie into the main universe (maybe a LITTLE less, but it was the first attempt so I digress), all new characters, some familiar faces but very low tier (Tarkin, I was THRILLED, but he's a minor character in the entire mythos), a small dash of A-List (Vader), but a story that focused on these unknowns.

Again, love it or hate it, it was the concept that I wanted to see these films pursue. As opposed to origin stories for these HUGE characters.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:Right, I mean, if we had no new trilogies planned, and a new "Star Wars Story" each year or two coming, I wouldn't be opposed to an Obi-Wan film. However, I just don't think these A-Level characters should be the primary focus of the spin-offs.

Love it or hate it, Rogue One is exactly what I wanted these spin-offs to be. Tie into the main universe (maybe a LITTLE less, but it was the first attempt so I digress), all new characters, some familiar faces but very low tier (Tarkin, I was THRILLED, but he's a minor character in the entire mythos), a small dash of A-List (Vader), but a story that focused on these unknowns.

Again, love it or hate it, it was the concept that I wanted to see these films pursue. As opposed to origin stories for these HUGE characters.
Definitely. There were some stumbles in execution, for me- but the concept was right on the money.
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Dr. Professor wrote:Collider has reported that Disney is no longer putting out stand alone Star Wars films for now.

http://www.google.com/amp/collider.com/ ... -hold/amp/
Can't say I'm surprised, given how the Star Wars fanbase virtually waged war against Disney for...making Star Wars movies. This was literally the only possible outcome of all that nerdrage.

What is the old saying again? "No one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans." Well, I have yet to see anything pointing to the contrary.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

It’s kind of sad. Honestly, the stand alones have been what I’ve enjoyed the most. I accept the criticisms of Rogue One and Solo, but I find them both more enjoyable than TFA (and ive made my TLJ feelings known).

BUT, at the same time, it’s kind of nice to see the Disney juggernaught stopped in its tracks. Like, between Marvel and Star Wars they were starting to seem invincible.

Added in 7 minutes 2 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:Right, I mean, if we had no new trilogies planned, and a new "Star Wars Story" each year or two coming, I wouldn't be opposed to an Obi-Wan film. However, I just don't think these A-Level characters should be the primary focus of the spin-offs.

I really like Rogue One. I didn’t really give a shit about the main characters, but what I really got into was the broader story of the Rebellion as a group. I have this weird thing with movies where I’ll often connect with larger organizations rather than individual characters. Like for me they’re almost protagonists in themselves. I get emotional watching Rogue One when the various rebellion leaders all decide to fight, and then their music plays when the ships come out of hyperspace. A similar thing happens when I watch Dunkirk, Darkest Hour, or even Gojira and Shin Godzilla, which to varying degrees all take place on national scales. The macro-struggle of collectives in conflict with each other really gets me at a core level.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

So, apparently the standalones being canceled was a rumor...? They were being reported pretty concretely, but- not other sources are saying that is not the case.

Maranatha!

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/mult ... d=56057987

Let's wait until we have actual concrete proof of the standalone titles being canned, because right now it's really just clickbait speculation.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

They were never canceled the rumor was they were on hold.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Sounds like Kathleen Kennedy will be fired before the end of the year. Star Wars has suddenly turned into a shit show. I wouldn't be surprised if something crazy happened with the Luke character for ep 9. Don't even know what ep9 is supposed to be. So messed up...
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

People keep saying that... but I you think it's mostly wishful thinking from the YouTube crowd that blame her for everything happening. I get the impression the Disney is still fairly happy with how things are going- they wouldn't have given Rian Johnson his own trilogy, for instance, if they felt like the franchise was in trouble. So I would really be surprised if Kennedy lost her job.

Maranatha!

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Firing Johnson would be better, but alas, money talks.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I mean... did either Johnson or Kennedy write the script? Because honestly, I don't think that any of the issues that people- myself included- have with modern Star Wars extend beyond whoever is writing the screenplays. It's not like the directing, or the acting, or the effects, or the lighting are bad. And if TLJ were a fireable offense (which, despite its controversy, I doubt; it was still a successful film), the blame would lie with the storycrafters, not the ones that executed their story or greenlit them to write it.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Zarm wrote:I mean... did either Johnson or Kennedy write the script? Because honestly, I don't think that any of the issues that people- myself included- have with modern Star Wars extend beyond whoever is writing the screenplays. It's not like the directing, or the acting, or the effects, or the lighting are bad. And if TLJ were a fireable offense (which, despite its controversy, I doubt; it was still a successful film), the blame would lie with the storycrafters, not the ones that executed their story or greenlit them to write it.
Wikipedi (not the best source but I’m lazy) has Johnson as the only credited writer. And also I would disagree slightly, a movie’s story can be changed heavily past the script phase without the hiring of a new writer. Choices on set, editing, etc... although in this case that’s moot, because here it’s all Johnson.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

...Well, okay, yeah. If he wrote any of that, then by all means, give him his walking papers.

...Or another trilogy of films, I guess. :)

Maranatha!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Johnson wrote The Last Jedi and then Kennedy told him to add at least the Leia scene.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:Johnson wrote The Last Jedi and then Kennedy told him to add at least the Leia scene.
Source?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Johnson wrote The Last Jedi and then Kennedy told him to add at least the Leia scene.
Source?
http://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-epis ... n-johnson/

If you Google Leia and Kennedy you can see several articles explaining about the space scene.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image