The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
UltramanGoji

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by UltramanGoji »

Seven Samurai - My first Kurosawa film and probably one of my all-time favorite movies now. Great story, great characters, pounding score, gorgeous set pieces and cinematography. I might have fallen down the Kurosawa rabbit hole and I couldn't be happier. 9.5/10

The Thing (1982) - Another first. Only seen clips of this film and it's pretty good. Not much to say that hasn't been said. Sad that Rob Bottin disappeared from public eye, I was hoping to see him in Shout Factory's documentary on the collector's Blu-Ray. 8.5/10

The Thing (2011) - Had low expectations going into this one and sadly they were partially correct. It's a pale "remake" of the original, essentially the same story told with different people who, in all honesty, are nothing special. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was cool, but didn't make too much of an impact. The story about the effects is a darn shame and really would've helped the film stand out aside its predecessor. Also wasn't a huge fan of seeing the Thing's ship, I liked the air of mystery the original had. Still, it's not a huge waste of time, but it's more of a film for casual audiences than die-hard Thing fans. 6/10

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

The Thing (1982): I've seen most of John Carpenter's filmography now and can safely say that this tops anything else that he directed. While a movie like Halloween is instrumental in defining the slasher genre in the following decade, The Thing is simply a better piece of cinema. The setting is claustrophobic, the characters are distinct and memorable, and the gore is some of the best put to film. How I managed to skip over this movie for so many years baffles me, but I'm glad I finally sat down and watched it. If you're looking for a good thrill of a movie, this is a must. I give it a rare 10 mutts out of 10.

Phantasm III: You know, I lost interest in the series after the second movie. It upped the ante of the first one with more explosions and more Tall Man goons, but lost the charm of the original along the way. The third movie, sadly, is more like the second than the first. It, too, goes bigger, and the result is pretty ugly. Most every special effect is still practical, but the plot is a jumbled mess and I can't ever get into the characters. At least they were able to get the original actor back into the role of Mike. There's a novel idea about how the Sentinels have the brains of the Tall Man's victims inside of them and can break free from his control. That's cool, but it's the only interesting idea this movie presents. Still, it's slightly better than 2. I really want to emphasize that word "slightly". See it only if you're a fan of 2. I'm giving it 4 metal balls out of 10.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Last night I watched 'The Black Scorpion' and 'The Deadly Mantis' as part of TCM's May Spotlight on Creature Features. While I've seen the former before, it was my first time seeing the latter. I consider it okay at best.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Wow, that latest Samurai Jack episode.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Monster that challenged the world

This black and white movie was on the TCM on demand, so I watched a movie I haven't seen for awhile. It's one of the better 50s giant bug movies, and those big mollusks are an unconventional choice of monster. Still, they made snails scary, and quite stealthy too. It's interesting how sneaky they can be. It also has an exciting climax.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Having received the dvd, I saw 'Gamera The Brave' for the first time Friday night and overall, I consider it enjoyable. Just as Kaneko was innovative in making Gamera darker and more adult oriented, the people behind this film were innovative in that they made a Gamera film with likable, non-annoying central kid characters. Of course, like a lot of fans, I don't care much for Gamera/Toto's more kid friendly design and it was a rather odd choice to replace the memorable roar with a typical stock monster roar. On top of all that, Zedus really steals the show with his amazing design and some of the most organic looking suitmation ever created. I just wish there was a standard 'Kaiju vs. Military' scene with him and that his 'mutating by feeding on Gyaos corpses' origin was brought up.
Last edited by Leviarex on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I watched Alien Covenant earlier today. Here is my personal review on it:

godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Actually enjoyed Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. Maybe it's not the best one but it's far from the worst one. Best part was the zombie sharks. Should have just made the whole movie about the zombie sharks.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:Actually enjoyed Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. Maybe it's not the best one but it's far from the worst one. Best part was the zombie sharks. Should have just made the whole movie about the zombie sharks.
Pirates was fun. Definitely preferred it to the last two. It was great seeing most the original cast back even if only briefly. That ending sequence looked really cool and gives me high hopes for what DC could do with Aquaman. Was genuinely surprised to discover
Spoiler:
that Carina was Barbosa's daughter.
I legitimately didn't see that coming.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Wonder Woman - 10/10

Is it the best DC movie?

Yes!

Best action scenes I've seen in a comic book movie and Gal Gadot is wonderful in the role.

Some other things that would go into spoilers but I thought some of the themes and story points were really well handled.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

UltramanGoji wrote:
The Thing (2011) - Had low expectations going into this one and sadly they were partially correct. It's a pale "remake" of the original, essentially the same story told with different people who, in all honesty, are nothing special. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was cool, but didn't make too much of an impact. The story about the effects is a darn shame and really would've helped the film stand out aside its predecessor. Also wasn't a huge fan of seeing the Thing's ship, I liked the air of mystery the original had. Still, it's not a huge waste of time, but it's more of a film for casual audiences than die-hard Thing fans. 6/10
The "remake" was a prequel, which I thought was pretty cool seeing all the damage the alien did to the Russian post before it made its way to Kurt's
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
The "remake" was a prequel, which I thought was pretty cool seeing all the damage the alien did to the Russian post before it made its way to Kurt's
Yeah I know, it just didn't do anything interesting or unique enough to distance it from it's predecessor. Shame, really.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

I'm a fan of all things Karloff, Lugosi and also Hammer Horror so I had to check out the new Mummy. It's darker and more evil than the candy fluff of the Brendan Fraser movies but in spite of that I thought it was pretty disappointing.

Creature designs in it were very uninspired and I would even say lazy. It's pretty clear Dracula will be the big bad for the later films in Universal's new incarnation of the Dark Universe but it's off to a weak start at the moment.

Kong: Skull Island is by far the better current reincarnation of a classic monster this year.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Power Rangers.

Go watch Pacific Rim 10 times, watch the original Mighty Morphin' 1995 movie, or even watch some super robot anime or even the Neo Saban Power Rangers series, because even that's even better than this. . This film is pure garbage and aside from promising moments and great basis, it's all wasted with terrible editing, writing, pacing, directing, choreography and cinematography.

The realistic angle is basically tossed aside, though how giant robots, exoskeleton suits or them getting super powers is anywhere near realistic gets me. Most of the charm got cut out , wasn't faithfully modernized, and my criticisms of the Megazord and words are well-known here anyways.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

-Last episode of 'River Monsters' (Fitting that the series should end with Jeremy catching the one fish that bested him)

-First episode of 'Expedition Mungo' (I'm definitely watching the rest of the series)

-'Alien: Covenant' (While I did initially enjoy it overall, I felt it could've used a bit more Xenomorph action and I came to realize its other problems after reading some of the reviews on here. Also, while I don't have too big a problem with the Xenomorphs' revealed origins, I can see why other fans would)

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Today I watched Flash Gordon (1980) with a few friends. Still such a ridiculously fun movie that doesn't take itself seriously.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I watched the first three episodes of 'Voltron: Legendary Defender' last night, having finally finished 'The Legend Of Korra' earlier this week. Even before then, I already knew about Korrasami being canon and it's been one of my favorite ships for a while now. Interestingly, 'V: LD' is the first Voltron series I've ever had any interest in seeing, mainly due the animation being done by Studio Mir.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:I'm a fan of all things Karloff, Lugosi and also Hammer Horror so I had to check out the new Mummy.
Huh. I'm a big fan of all things Karloff, Lugosi and also Hammer Horror, and that's exactly why I'm staying away from the new Mummy. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Arrival (2016) sci-fi/drama

I liked it pretty well and there was some things I liked about it a lot but it just didn't feel like their was enough to the story to make it really good.

I'd give it 3.5 out of 5. Its not great but definitely worth a viewing for fans of intellectual sci-fi.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

Cars 3: Wow. What a fantastic film. I only watched it once, but I give it a 10/10.
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"