The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Break goes on and I have seen a couple more movies in only a few days:

Rear Window (1954): I can understand the hype around this film. Has fantastic acting, a very convincing set, and a fabulous plot. There is a lot of tension and yet the film still seems light and enjoyable. I attribute this to great performances by James Stewart and Grace Kelly, who have great chemistry together. It even stars Raymond Burr, who we all know of in this forum for obvious reasons. Highly recommended.
4.5/5

Vertigo (1958): Compared to Rear Window, Vertigo is much more serious and very dramatic. Everything about the film is dramatic: the premise; the acting; the score; and the cinematography. This is not just an interesting film; it is a piece of art. While the plot is kind of convoluted and it drags at times, it is so emotional and tragic I have to give it a pass. Part of what makes a film great is whether or not it makes you think and contemplate what you just saw. Vertigo's ending in particular, did this for me. I would probably rank this film as my second favorite Hitchcock movie to North By Northwest, another great film.
5/5

Dial M for Murder (1954): I was on a roll with good Hitchcock films and this one left me with a sour taste in my mouth. It is critically acclaimed, but I believe that it is somewhat overrated. The plot is even more complex than Vertigo and I was puzzled by its ending. Aside from maybe two characters, I was not convinced by the performances of the cast. Two important characters in particular, the wife and her lover, are lackluster. It is a shame since the wife was played by Grace Kelly, who I was very impressed with in Rear Window. In this film, she does not shine and yet she is one of the most important characters. If you are a Hitchcock fan, it is a decent watch. I was not at all impressed.
2.5/5

The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965): This is a very charming movie. I am a fan of Charlton Heston and this is yet another gem from his long career. He is great as Michelangelo and his banters with the Pope are the driving force of this film. Great period film.
4/5

The Imitation Game (2014): This movie was good, but not great. The subject is important and it is quite a shame what happened to Alan Turing. Even though Turing helped break a Nazi code, he was pushed to suicide by his government for being a homosexual. Benedict Cumberbatch does a good job as the protagonist and is supported by an even better performance by Kiera Knightley. Some things about the plot did not seem natural to a true story and were thrown in as a method of creating conflict and thought. At the end, I was wondering whether or not the film was driving message or theme was about the life of Alan Turing or the plight of homosexuals in England. Maybe they are intertwined, but I do not whether or not the film wants the viewer to view Turing as a remarkable person or as a martyr for the gay community. Not as good as I expected from all the Oscar hype, but nonetheless a well made film.
3/5

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

TV Shows You've Been Watching Lately

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

So what tv shows have you been watching? Im suprised we dont have a thread for this. Ive been watching Hells Kitchen. Seeing Gordon Ramsey yelling at people is awesome :lol:

So what do you guys watch!!?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Re: TV Shows You've Been Watching Lately

Post by Coobzilla03 »

This should probably be in the media center, but I'll start:

I usually don't watch a series of something at a time, but I watch Hey Arnold and Dexter's Laboratory every night. I'm not a fan of live action TV unless it's Star Trek or something, which I'm watching as we speak :lol:
Resized Image

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

I hate to admit it, but I've been watching Daria, an old MTV cartoon about a teenaged girl who hates high school.

It reminds me of how much I hated high-school when I was a youth.
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Supernatural, Grimm, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow are my top shows. Of course Always Sunny just started up too.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Rab C.Nesbitt, a Scottish sitcom about a jobless and alcoholic bum who is a self-proclaimed "street philosopher". Pretty funny.

"Ya swine!"

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Steven Universe.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Doesn't this thread pretty much cover this subject?

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... f=15&t=314
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

G-Matt wrote:Doesn't this thread pretty much cover this subject?

Yeah I guess so, someone can lock it if they want.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Spy who Loved Me

I haven't seen this Bond film in years. Jaws is always an enjoyable villain, and there's plenty of good action. Moore has some excellent quips, as well. My only complaint would be Stromberg. He's a low key villain, and not that memorable. The Russian spy does provide a nice match for Bond, and she has a nice rack.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Watched the first episode of Ridley Scott's Taboo on FX. Very interesting show thus far. Its kinda dark at times and characters have a habit of talking too softly a lot. Still Tom Hardy is really cool in it and there's some really nice camera work and cinematography despite how dank and dingy everything looks. I'm really liking the score so far as well. The whole thing has some great atmosphere.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I bought season 1 and 2 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's hilarious so far. I love it.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I've been watching Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon and The Simpsons.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

G-Matt wrote:Doesn't this thread pretty much cover this subject?

Done!
Anyhow - been watching Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (OVA / Japanese). OMG. So much better.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

The Greasy Strangler... 10/10. This movie is really disgusting, but it was hilarious. I don't really know how I should feel after watching it...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

War of the Satellites

I enjoy a good sci fi flick, and this one isn't bad. The lead actor is quite wooden, but it suits him when he's playing the alien. His motives are a bit vague, however. Still, the other cast members perform well, and the special effects are adequate.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Shows I'm currently watching:

Latest season of 'Finding Bigfoot' (My god, has Bobo slimmed down!)
'Dragonball Super' (Rather odd that they rebooted the events of 'DBZ: Battle Of Gods')
'Dragonball Z Kai: The Final Chapters' (It's about time Funimation gave the Buu Saga the Kai treatment)
'The Legend Of Korra' (last episode I watched was 'In Harm's Way')
Reruns of 'The Loud House'

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Movies I have watched recently:

Northwest Passage (1940): Surprisingly good movie for its time. The film is about early frontiersmen during the 1750s fighting Native Americans in the wilderness of Upstate New York/Canada. Spencer Tracy plays the head of a group of rangers and is excellent. His acting really shines and I was impressed by his character's mix of toughness and a splash of compassion for his men. Done in Technicolor, this is a very visually appealing film.
4/5

Rollerball (1975):
Interesting 70s film about what our world would look like a year from now. The film centers around the sport rollerball, a violent game in which many of its players are eventually killed. Reminds you a little bit of 2001 because of the abstract message and use of classical music. Worth watching at least once.
3.5/5

TV Shows I have been watching:

Power (Starz): A solid show about a drug king trying to become legit. All caught up now and I feel that the show has been declining since Season 1. Writing can sometimes be poor and the plot is not always thought out. One major problem with the show is how small the cast is. There is only so much you can do with these characters and newly introduced characters are not developed as much. Compared to other crime shows I have watched such as Boardwalk Empire, Power lacks in well written drama. It is very fun to see 50 Cent though!
3/5

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Netflix): My expectations for this show were not all that high and I was shocked by the quality of this show. It really feels like an extension of the movies and there is some great character development. I am halfway through the second season now and my major complaint is that the show is moving slowly. I want to see some major events/changes happen to the characters. I have seen some small hints of Anakin's darker nature, but that is it. I want to see more of the Sith, but I am sure the show focuses on them more later on. This Mandalore plot is pretty interesting. Overall, this is a very well done show.
3.5/5

Forged in Fire (History): Show just recently started releasing new episodes again. Last few episodes have been very good and the challenges have become much more complex. I used to complain how many of the knife challenges were pretty similar, but the last few episodes have done well in making the knife segment more interesting.
3.5/5

Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX): This new season has started off pretty good. I did not like the musical episode, but the last two episodes have been fantastic. The water park episode, in particular, was really funny. Can't wait to see where the show goes from here!
4/5

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Leviarex wrote: 'Dragonball Super' (Rather odd that they rebooted the events of 'DBZ: Battle Of Gods')
Well they redo the events of Resurrection F too so be prepared for it.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Neon Demon: A decent fashion-world horror movie that manages to occasionally feel nightmarish, but is let down by the fact that it's a visual-reliant movie in which everything is sleek and serviceable, but very few individual images stick with you or feel unique. Some bad dialogue and motivation alarms go off, which are only partially justified by its clearly heightened approach. I feel like it wanted to be a little funnier than it was. 6/10

The VVitch: This was great and wish I'd seen it in theaters. No pretense: just a tense, effective horror movie with good characters. 9/10.