The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Latest Movie You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by Arrow »

wataru wrote:Aliens > Predators > Predator > Alien > AVPR > AVP > Alien Ressurection > Predator 2 > Alien 3
On a critical level, I'd rate them this way:

Alien (1979)/Aliens (1986)
Predator (1987)
Alien 3 (1992)
Predators (2010)
Predator 2 (1990)
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
Alien: Resurrection (1997)

On a personal level:

Aliens (1986)
Alien (1979)
Predator (1987)
Predators (2010)
Alien 3 (1992)/Predator 2 (1990)
Alien: Resurrection (1997)/Alien vs. Predator (2004)/Alien vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)

Oh, I also saw Predators earlier today. Lazy writing and bland characterization aside, I actually enjoy this film. The new Predator designs look great and there are some great action scenes in this film. Perhaps it was just because I've had the pleasure of viewing it in a theater and then with friends earlier today, but I can't bring myself to hate this movie. It's fun - even if Adrian Brody's character is annoying ("I know everything!"), Topher Grace's character is underused, the F-bombs go overboard, and the movie fails to break away from the original. It passes a few hours nicely. It's a popcorn flick, ultimately.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Banshee!!! (2008) -- A legendary monster terrorizes teens in a vast, wooded area by impersonating other people. Its screams can even kill a person unfortunate enough to hear it. However, this banshee can not stand loud noise; the teens must survive the night in a secluded home belonging to a man whose dog was slain by the malevolent spirit.

Saw this on the Chiller television channel, today. Alas, the movie has numerous flaws, from amateur actors, to CGI that (barely) rivals the technology seen in Syfy original movies. To make things worse, the "banshee" is hardly reminiscent of the terrible beast described in Gaelic folklore. Yeah, it does scream, but its wails are said to warn of death and tragedy. NOT to instantaneously destroy life. Also, the characters are hardly affected when the banshee takes the life of one of their own. Oh, and the climax calls for the group to play music as a means of "weakening" the antagonist. The guitarist plays a wicked solo, but why? I wouldn't if my life were at stake. Anyways, the film's mediocre. I'll end it with that. 4/10
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Latest HALLOWEEN Movie You Watched Thread

Post by edgaguirus »

The Tingler is a good one. I'm about to watch Tarantula.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

Tyler wrote:I just watched this crazy-ass movie called The Tingler. You don't get stuff like that nowadays.
I've always wished I could of experienced that in the 50's, mainly because of the whol chair vibrating thing. If they were to do a remake in 3D, I would love to see theatres adopt some vibrating chairs.

I'm going to do the UNTHINKABLE and EXTEND Halloween until the end of Monday, as my Halloween blew.

Saturday - The wolfman remake unrated edition. It's kind of boring to be honest but the wolfman scenes are fucking awesome! What's kind of surprising is throughout the entire film, only one woman dies and that doesn't includes flashbacks. And I'll try to not spoil it as much as I can, but the fight scene's ending was not only anti-climatic but stupid.

Sunday - The Thing, the 80's remake. I didn't really think all that much of it as I didn't really jump at any moments but it does have a great idea for a scary atmosphere. I love the effects of the movie and I'm REALLY hoping universal won't be using CGI unless necessary for the prequal. Now what we need is a friggin sequal or maybe a what if story like what if the thing made to a civilization. And a backstory for the thing would he nice as well. :3

Monday... Hopefully will be me watching some classic Frankenstein films and maybe a dash of Dracula and both of those are the classic universal movies.
R.I.P My Old Sig. 2011 to 2016

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Shadow of the Vampire
John Carpenter's Halloween
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I celebrated Halloween by watching a horror movie every day last week.

The Fly (1958). Definitely a classic movie from the 50s about a scientist, Andre Delambre, who creates a teleportation machine and accidentally has his molecules merge with those of a fly that gets in it with him. I chose to watch this on Monday when I found out that the legendary Vincent Price passed away that day. Price is excellent in the movie, as is the rest of the cast. The story moves along nicely and there's some great suspense. 4/5

Return of the Fly (1959). Andre's son, Philippe, decides to continue his father work, determined that he won't make the same mistake. However, his partner double-crosses him and eventually Philippe suffers the same mistake as his father. This sequel is mediocre. The acting is nothing special, except maybe for Vincent Price. The effects are also a step down from the original. 3/5

Piranha (1978). Another pretty enjoyable monster movie. A school of mutant piranhas get released into a river and go on a killing spree. The acting, again, is average. The best performance comes from Kevin McCarthy (Invasion of the Body Snatchers), although it's a shame he's in the movie only for about 20 minutes. We also don't get to see the piranhas a whole lot, but their attack(s) at the end are the highlight of the movie. There's also some nice music by Pino Donaggio. 3/5

Mutant (1984). The people in a small town get infected by chemicals and are mutated into zombie-like creatures. For a B-movie, this is quite well done as well. The acting is fairly good, and there's a few pretty suspenseful moments, especially the finale. The best part is arguably the music score by Richard Band. You could even say that it's too good to be in a cheesy movie like this. The love theme in particular is a beautiful piece of music. 3/5

It (1990). The children in a small town are being killed by an evil entity that takes the form of a clown called Pennywise. A group of seven children decide to kill "It". Originally aired as a TV miniseries, the movie has two parts. The first part focuses on the main characters' first encounter with It as kids, and in the second part they return to the town 30 years later as adults to finish off the creature once and for all. I remember seeing this movie's cover featuring Pennywise in stores all the time as a kid, and I've been craving to see it since then. I found the movie to be surprisingly good. The acting was great. Even the kid actors were good. Tim Curry was really creepy as Pennywise. The only thing that was a little disappointing was the finale, which could've been longer. 4/5

Let the Right One In (2008). Based on the novel of the same name by John Ajvide Lindqvist, this horror movie from Sweden tells the story of a boy named Oskar who befriends a girl named Eli, who's actually a vampire. Needless to say, this is one of the best horror movies of the last decade. The acting, the story and the pacing, the atmosphere, the cinematography and the music are all brilliant. Now I'm just curious to see how the new US version, Let Me In, fares in comparison. 4.5/5

The Exorcist (1973). A horror movie classic about a young girl who gets possessed by, supposedly, the Devil. First, take into account that I'm reviewing the 2000 re-release version. Anyways, the movie is well made, although I didn't find it "perfect". There were some parts that kind of drag. Otherwise, the movie has very creepy moments, and the finale is thrilling to watch. The actors do a good job. Linda Blair is undeniably creepy as the possessed Regan. The Swedish-born Max von Sydow is also great as Father Merrin. The movie's also responsible for gaining Mike Oldfield's music piece "Tubular Bells" the popularity it has today. 4/5
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Haven't posted in this topic in awhile but here are the movies I've watched over the past few weeks

Alien Resurrection (Blu-Ray)[DC]- Being the last film in the franchise you'd think it'd look the best well you'd be wrong, the BD isn't really all that great PQ wise it's a low level BD quality at best. Some of the CGI does like ahead of it's time and the animatronic stuff looks great but sadly the movie is shit. 5 out of 10

My Mom is a Werewolf- I was trying to hunt this down not to long ago and recently Netflix added it on their streaming service so I finally watched it after not doing so in awhile. The movie centers around a housewife who is feeling neglected by her husband so she ends up meeting a guy who runs a pet store who happens to be a werewolf. I don't know what the film makers where thinking but they gave him Dracula seduction powers but hey it was the 80s. The movie itself is okay for what it is SPFX are crappy but it had it's moments for being a comedy. 7.5 out of 10.

Mega Piranha- Again watched this on streaming. One word can describe it. Shitty. Bad acting, laughable CGI, terrible plot. 4.5 out of 10

Forrest Gump- I had this in my Netflix streaming list for awhile and final had an excuse to watch. I had to review it for my leadership class. I forgot how great this movie was just overall amazing film. 9 out of 10.

Get Him to the Greek- This was actually pretty funny. I haven't laughed this much in a movie in forever. Russel Brand does a great job reprising his role for "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and although Jonah Hill doesn't play his character from that film he does play a great supporting role in this. 8 out of 10.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Azumi (2003) - The first Kitamura movie I've seen that actually entertained me. :o Well, at least until the last 30 or so minutes when it gets into that typical FAR too over-the-top bullcrap evident in his other films (Dog yelping? Really?). Until then, it was a pretty cool flick with a FANTASTIC performance from Joe Odagiri as Bijomaru (although I'm never gonna be able to watch Kamen Rider Kuuga the same way ever again). Great soundtrack, great choreography, and solid acting plus some of the best pacing I've seen from a Kitamura film yet. The overuse of slow-motion and the entire story angle of Azumi doubting her warrior's instinct are grating, though. Still, it's a solid film that just couldn't help but get stupid near the end. :/ 3.5/5

Halloween II (1981) - Wait...so if Dr. Loomis died at the end of this film...how is he in Halloween 4 and Halloween 5? ....Anyways, it was pretty cool until we got to the hospital when it just started becoming more of the same. The climax with the blind Michael Myers was tense stuff, and of course the soundtrack was still wicked cool. Finally, why did Michael kill that woman at the beginning? From my understanding, she had no connection to Laurie and she's not even mentioned again. So...why kill her? Bah, whatever. All in all, not a bad sequel. 3/5

Ed Wood (1994) - I would have called this a masterpiece if the facts weren't so f*cked up in this film. Howard Shore's score is phenomenal, the cinematography is beautiful, the acting (especially Depp and Landau) is pitch perfect, and at times it is a truly funny movie (Tor Johnson running into the door frame while filming Bride of the Monster just cracked me up). Why are movies like this and Sweeney Todd the Burton films that bomb, and not Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Alice in Wonderland? :( 4.5/5

howze01
GPN Volunteer

Post by howze01 »

We had a "bad" movie night and watched these:

Thankskilling - What a great movie! If you love bad, cheesy movies (like me), this is for you! I watched it with a few friends and at one point, 3 of us were on the floor gasping for breath we were laughing so hard. It's streaming on Netflix and can be downloaded from Amazon but other than that, it can be hard to get a hold of a DVD.

Mega Piranha - Again, terrible dialogue, horrible acting and horrible SPFX combine to make a great movie. The plot makes no sense, the ending makes even less sense but when it is interspersed with exploding piranhas, car chase sequences when the cars change every other shot and Greg Brady playing Sen. Grady it all comes together with awesome results (I think).

Santa's Slay - Goldberg as a murderous Santa Claus....... that is all.

RodanRedux
Monsterland Worker

Post by RodanRedux »

Last night I watched,

(Godzilla vs King Ghidorah) (1991)
Its still one of my favorites. That running android is funny stuff. I love the monster fights in this one, but please can we get a remastered wide screen uncut Japanese version with English subs.

(The Third Man) (1949)
Orson Welles has the best character walk on in history. Love this dialog "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock".
- Orson Wells as Harry Lime
-FINIS-

Dragoon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dragoon »

Just watched Jurrasic Park (characters were unlikeable and had an idiot plot) and The Running Man (the only good parts were when Arnold killed people).

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Dragoon wrote:Just watched Jurrasic Park (characters were unlikeable and had an idiot plot) and The Running Man (the only good parts were when Arnold killed people).
Really? You thought the plot for JP was stupid? I agree that the characters were one dimmensional, but they were certainly fun. And hey, its some pretty good sci-fi.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Dragoon wrote:Just watched Jurrasic Park (characters were unlikeable and had an idiot plot)
You're a fan of Godzilla and you're knocking Jurassic Park for having an "idiot plot"? How the hell does that work? At the very least, it was explained well, properly paced, and left no real gaping errors. The characters may not have been the most developed, but then, this isn't a character-driven movie - the acting is good and the characters themselves are entertaining and fun to watch. And the revolutionary special effects (for its time) and the musical score did nothing for you? I will never call JP the greatest film ever (the book was easily superior), but if all you're getting out of the movie are unlikable characters and "idiot plot" ( :roll: ) then you've really missed out on a great movie.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Arrow wrote:
Dragoon wrote:Just watched Jurrasic Park (characters were unlikeable and had an idiot plot)
You're a fan of Godzilla and you're knocking Jurassic Park for having an "idiot plot"? How the hell does that work? At the very least, it was explained well and left no real gaping errors. The characters may not have been the most developed, but then, this isn't a character-driven movie. And the revolutionary special effects (for its time) and the musical score did nothing for you? I will never call JP the greatest film ever (the book was easily superior), but if all you're getting out of the movie are unlikable characters and "idiot plot" ( :roll: ) then you've really missed out on a great movie.
You're trying to talk movie tastes with someone who thought 2001 was confusing and that Avatar had an original plot.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Little Buddah (1993)
A fascinating journey of discovery. The film does run some 20 minutes longer than it should, which luckily doesn't hurt the otherwise well directed film. As far as Keanu Reeves goes, he is given a surprisingly fitting role, I can safely say I didn't cringe with his performance.
3.5/5.

Mulholland Drive (2001)
David Lynch does it gain. He keeps you interested with his usual mindscrew and mistery, then subtly pulls together the plot in the last half hour. It's got some of the creepiest scenes in recent cinema as well as great performances from Watts and Harring.
4/5.

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
Though it's the weakest of the Star Wars films, there are still great moments to be found, such as Anakin's first foray into the Dark Side, the Arena scene and the chase through Coruscant. It's notable that while Lucas' ability to write dialogue falters in some scenes, the moments of silence are quite powerful, the ending with Palpatine revising the clone troops in particular.
3.5/5.

The extended version no less. Most of the new scenes add nothing to the plot, instead creating a sense of monotony present also in the theatrical version (to a much lesser degree). It's somewhat hypocritical of Cameron to critize George Lucas and his tampering of Star Wars only to do the same thing with Avatar the very next year.
3.5/5.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Dragoon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dragoon »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:
Arrow wrote:
You're a fan of Godzilla and you're knocking Jurassic Park for having an "idiot plot"? How the hell does that work? At the very least, it was explained well and left no real gaping errors. The characters may not have been the most developed, but then, this isn't a character-driven movie. And the revolutionary special effects (for its time) and the musical score did nothing for you? I will never call JP the greatest film ever (the book was easily superior), but if all you're getting out of the movie are unlikable characters and "idiot plot" ( :roll: ) then you've really missed out on a great movie.
You're trying to talk movie tastes with someone who thought 2001 was confusing and that Avatar had an original plot.
Two things: Firs tof all you treat me like a ------. I did research and I learned that not all of Avatar is original (some of it is from Ferngully) but the majority of it is so it's still a good film.

Second of all, Jurassic Park could've been solved in they fired the fat idiot and did research into frogs before putting the frog DNA in the Dinosaurs. The Special Effects are outdated now, so that doesn't make it that good. The characters are bland and unlikeable. The music wasn't too different then other summer blockbuster themes. I'm sorry, but Jurrasic Park isn't a good film.

Jahgee
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jahgee »

I just saw Unstoppable I recommend it, i would give it ***** stars
One of Toho Kingdom's 2 resident NASCAR fans
There was a time where I was Admin

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Dragoon wrote: Two things: Firs tof all you treat me like a ------. I did research and I learned that not all of Avatar is original (some of it is from Ferngully) but the majority of it is so it's still a good film.

Second of all, Jurassic Park could've been solved in they fired the fat idiot and did research into frogs before putting the frog DNA in the Dinosaurs. The Special Effects are outdated now, so that doesn't make it that good. The characters are bland and unlikeable. The music wasn't too different then other summer blockbuster themes. I'm sorry, but Jurrasic Park isn't a good film.
If you wouldn't act like one people wouldn't treat you like one.

Slitting your tongue to get out of a school project? Paying someone who's sick to cough in your drink? Derp.

I watched a documentary about American horror films narrated by Lance Herikson, it was decent but not the best.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Unstoppable was a fantastic little thriller. Great cinematography, and didn't rely on characters doing stupid shit around the train to keep it dramatic, also the music is badass.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Dragoon wrote:Second of all, Jurassic Park could've been solved in they fired the fat idiot
No one in Jurassic Park had any way of knowing that Nedry was going to betray them and try to steal the embryos. And not even Nedry had anticipated that he would get killed by one of the dinosaurs before he could drop off the embryos and return to fix the issues he had created.
and did research into frogs before putting the frog DNA in the Dinosaurs.
This is a big plot point when it comes to either the book or the film and it adds to the general theme of scientific recklessness, carelessness, etc. InGen was careless in how they managed the park and their dinosaurs. In both versions, Malcolm is the character who is against the park entirely. In the movie, he states that "life finds a way" in contrast to Wu's certainty that the dinosaurs are not capable of breeding. The fact that the dinosaurs had frog DNA and were able to change genders is a result of that carelessness and a vindication of Malcolm's claims that the park was going to fail. In the book, that also meant that the dinosaurs were able to escape to the mainland, where they would have no natural predators (as far as I know, this isn't really elaborated on in the first film, but it's been far too long since I've seen it). It isn't an example of "Idiot Plot" - it's a deliberate and key part of the story.
The Special Effects are outdated now, so that doesn't make it that good.
I really think you're just trying to be funny now.

With an attitude like that, you might as well dismiss films like Star Wars, The Thing, Alien and Aliens, and 2001: A Space Odyseey because future films have become far more advanced. The effects in Jurassic Park, in general, still hold up damn well. Again, as a fan of the Godzilla franchise, I would think you should know this. I repeat, the effects were damn revolutionary and one of the film's strongest points. They brought something new to the table.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:You're trying to talk movie tastes with someone who thought 2001 was confusing and that Avatar had an original plot.
This will probably be the last I say on the matter anyway. I know I should've ignored him, but I just couldn't let that last one go without saying something.