The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rodan95 wrote:The Tiger King might be the most bizarre but amazing documentary I've ever seen.....I loved it and the story is interesting to say the least.

10/10
I watched Tiger King, loved it, and instantly remembered why I wanted to move to Japan to begin with.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Rodan95 wrote:The Tiger King might be the most bizarre but amazing documentary I've ever seen.....I loved it and the story is interesting to say the least.

10/10
I watched Tiger King, loved it, and instantly remembered why I wanted to move to Japan to begin with.
America. I country where someone like Joe Exotic could campaign for president :lol:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Dark Age (1987)

10 out of 10.

Meet Australia's answer to Jaws only with an more positive vibe to it. Probably the most underrated killer crocodile flick and my favorite. The story tells of an ranger whose an crocodile expert being tasked to kill an saltwater crocodile that's killing people only to find himself at odds with the Australian Aboriginals that doesn't want it killed as it contains the spirit of their past. In hopes of respecting their wishes, Steve must develop an plan while protecting the residents from the crocodile.

The most I love about this film is how it throws aspects of Australian Aboriginal mythology and beliefs in which I thought was an really nice touch for an killer creature film. At the same time too it was also somewhat of an action-adventure film with an strong environmental message and theme to it. Honestly despite being called an horror it really didn't feel like one to be honest being more of an environmental film then anything.

My only gripes I had with the film was the main female lead who for most of the movie kind of came off as an bitch until near the end and the Australian Aboriginal elder dying who I really liked and was sad when he died.

That said if your into the killer creature genre, one especially that's rather different this movie is for you.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Serenity. Never watched an episode of Firefly a day in my life, but this movie is damn good. About as good as I remember when I rented it from Blockbuster back when those were still a thing. It's a shame it flew under the radar, movie deserved much more success at the BO than it had. The visual effects look a bit dated for its time, but it still holds up damn good. Really likable characters with good action, story and pacing.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

On season 2 of Tin Star on Amazon. Its been a pretty good show so far. Stars Tim Roth as an ex-undercover London cop who moves to Canada with his family to get a fresh start. Little does he know his past is soon about to catch up to him, all while investigating a corrupt oil company in a small idyllic mountain town.

Man this show is pretty crazy at times. A darkly comedic tale full of fucked up characters, mystery, suspense, and a healthy dose of violence. I can be a bit slow going in spots but its oddly enthralling.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

The Town (Extended Cut)

I think this is hands down Ben Affleck's best movie. Not necessarily his best-directed film, but the best film he's starred in. Everyone turns in an A performance here. Even Blake Lively, who everyone is convinced can't act for squat, is decent. I especially loved Jon Hamm's character, he absolutely nails the hot-headed FBI agent. This movie held my interest from start to finish with some nice twists and turns along the way and great shootout scenes to boot.

If you like crime/heist movies, then this is a must watch.
Last edited by KManX89 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Totem- Never ever watch this movie unless you actually have dramamine on hand. You will get a bout of motion sickness because the sadist of a cinematographer does. not. stop tilting the goddamn camera back and forth. I don't even care that the movie ended abruptly, anticlimactically, and inconclusively, I'm just fucking happy that I don't have watch that goddamn "camerawork" anymore.

A negative googolplex/5
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

After owning this series for about two years, I finally watched the final episode of the 1984 Transformers cartoon. (Plus a friggin' awesome movie in between two seasons.) Here are my overall thoughts on this show:

Season 1 was without a doubt the best in the series. It did a good job with introducing the main characters, side characters, and world building. I almost immediately became a fan of various Autobots and Decepticons (My favorite being the cowardly Starscream).

Season 2 was also pretty good despite the few bumpy moments. There were a few episodes that had a small drop in quality but nothing terrible. Also with this season came the series main issue that I felt severely damaged it in the end: Introducing new characters to sell more toys. Arielbots, Stunticons, etc., these new characters weren't bad. They at least had time given to them for us to know their character and personalities.

Season 3 introduces Rodimus Prime as the new Autobot leader, and as a leader, Rodimus was a very mixed bag. It really feels as if the writers couldn't decide whether Rodimus should be doubtful of his leadership or be confident in it. Heck, in one episode, Rodimus goes into depression and doubt over being the wielder of the Matrix of Leadership, realizes how important his responsibilities are, and promises to be the leader the Autobots need. Then a few episodes later, Rodimus acts like a jerk and doesn't want the Matrix anymore. Basically, if the writers were more confident in Rodimus and actually were consistent with how he should act, I think he would have lasted longer instead of them bringing Optimus Prime back. Which leads us to the worst season:

Season 4 had a few cool moments (For example: The Touch playing when Optimus uses the Matrix on Galvatron, Scorponok was pretty cool), but overall, it was a complete mess. Bringing Optimus back opened a few continuity errors with previous episodes, but that was forgiving. What wasn't forgiving was how rushed the introduction of the Headmasters and Targetmasters were. I can see the potential of these new characters, but they needed more than two episodes to introduce them. But other than the Head and Targetmasters, you also had Scorponok, and Fortress Maximus as well: All in two episodes! There was way too much going on that I honestly didn't care anymore and was just waiting for the episodes to end.

So yeah, those are my thoughts. I overall loved this cartoon and can easily see myself watching it again and again. I'll probably skip out on the final season though.

And to quote Optimus Prime: "'Til all are one!"
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Yeah season 2 adds a lot of new characters but there are several of them that get their own spotlight episodes which helps to flesh them out. I think I'm one of the few that actually likes Tracks/Raoul episodes.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think G1 gets analyzed a bit deeper than it should. Beyond some fantastic voice acting and a few significantly well-written episodes (the one that comes to mind is the Golden Lagoon), it's really nothing more than a chintzy and goofy toy commercial. Same for the movie, even though it has wonderful animation and an all-star cast.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Yeah season 2 adds a lot of new characters but there are several of them that get their own spotlight episodes which helps to flesh them out. I think I'm one of the few that actually likes Tracks/Raoul episodes.
You're not the only one. The bond that Tracks and Raoul had was legitimately well done, just as good as Bumblebee/Spike's bond.
UltramanGoji wrote:I think G1 gets analyzed a bit deeper than it should. Beyond some fantastic voice acting and a few significantly well-written episodes (the one that comes to mind is the Golden Lagoon), it's really nothing more than a chintzy and goofy toy commercial. Same for the movie, even though it has wonderful animation and an all-star cast.
What your saying is indeed true. As much of a fan I am of this generation of Transformers, I know that it's not critically fantastic. The overall goofiness of the show just gives an inviting sense of appeal that sucks me in and keeps me interested (If that makes sense). As for the 1986 movie, I love the stellar animation, voice-acting, and the awesome soundtrack, but I would be a fool if I didn't admit that story-wise it's just an hour and thirty minute episode of the cartoon series (Ignoring the darker moments).
Last edited by godzilla98rules on Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html

R.I.P. George Root III

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Most 80s animation is nothing more than extended toy commercials. Its just how it was done back then.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I definitely prefer the Marvel comics as my G1 Transformers poison (I haven't really dived into IDW's stuff mostly because there's so damn much of it, but I'm sure its great), but I do think the cartoon can be fun (The first season is pretty solid, but things do get kind of dumb in the second. Season 3 is an interesting experiment with some legit great stories, but still a fair share of stinkers and awful animation bringing it down). I think the comics and cartoon compliment each other nicely. There are characters like Ironhide and (for a while) Starscream that don't really do much in the comics that shine in the cartoon, while characters like Shockwave and Grimlock shine in the comics. There are character origins I prefer the comic version of (Mainly the Dinobots), while others I think are a lot better in the cartoon (Sky/Jetfire, Omega Supreme). The comic of course lasted much longer, resulting in a lot of characters we never saw in the cartoon, and has without a doubt the better origin for the Transformers (Their cartoon origin isn't bad, but the comic one is way more unique) and Unicron (Who's cartoon origin is laughable). Of course, in order to really get a taste of how good the comics are, you need to include the UK stuff. Why so many of these attempted sequels have ignored them is beyond me.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Hilda

A young girl with a burning desire for exploration and adventures, Hilda's world goes upside down when she and her mother move from the magical outwilds where Hilda was born and lived her entire life to the city of Trolberg. While initially skeptical and grumpy, Hilda soons realizes and accepts that adventures can be found everywhere, if you loolk hard enough...

Featuring a very creative and drop dead gorgeous animation, an excellent and very on point soundtrack and sound design, and likable and relatable characters that go in adventures full of mysteries and revelations full of tweaks and surprises, Hilda is, despite resembling other great pieces of eterntainment like Gravity Falls, Over The Garden Wall or Song of the Sea, still it's own thing, and a one of a kind experience. While it's brevity does lead to some plot threads and story bits being resolved without proper payoff, overall I still think it's 100% worth checking out

4/5
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Mandalorian. Watched it over the last three days. It was good. Not spectacular, but definitely one of the better Star Wars productions of the Disney era. It was cool to have a Western set in the SW Galaxy; obviously that type of story fits the setting well. The fan service was done well, heavy but mostly inobtrusive, and I was glad to have all the familiar OT alien races running around again. The Sandcrawler sequence was great.

I enjoyed the action, too, I thought it was handled very competently outside of some silliness toward the end. Our hero racks up a kill count a Terminator would envy, but unlike most of the action in recent SW movies, it felt believable and earned. In Rogue One, by and large the heroes can cut Stormtroopers down like wheat; the bad guys come across as incompetent and nonthreatening, and I just don't buy it. The Mando feels like he earns his victories through honest skill and luck, and of course ends up in mortal danger more than once. It helps that he has the Beskar armor, because that allows his enemies to actually get some hits in as opposed to missing every single shot.

The supporting cast was fine. I liked Baby Yoda a lot more than I expected to, and IG-11 was awesome in his intro.

Ending felt like there was some studio meddling, with the action becoming more over-the-top, and
Spoiler:
IG-11's sacrifice felt really forced. The Mando suddenly getting all emotional, regardless of what the droid had done for him, wasn't believable.
And then I just got done rewatching Twister (1996). Oh, man, what a kick in the nostalgia. My brother is a big severe weather fan, so I saw this movie a hundred times as a kid. Pretty much had it memorized word-for-word, and we still quote it all the time; it's an extremely quotable movie. It's apparently been a lot longer than I thought since I watched it, though; I guess it must have somehow been a decade or more. I'd forgotten more than I realized, and it was great having it all come back. If any of you haven't seen it, I highly recommend that you do. It gets pretty dumb at times, with some really egregious 'how the hell did they survive that' moments, but it manages to be classier about it than some films. That doesn't matter, though; it's a ton of fun, with an entertaining cast of characters, very impressive high-end effects, and the soundtrack alone is worth the price of admission a few times over.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

MaxRebo320 wrote:I definitely prefer the Marvel comics as my G1 Transformers poison (I haven't really dived into IDW's stuff mostly because there's so damn much of it, but I'm sure its great), but I do think the cartoon can be fun (The first season is pretty solid, but things do get kind of dumb in the second. Season 3 is an interesting experiment with some legit great stories, but still a fair share of stinkers and awful animation bringing it down). I think the comics and cartoon compliment each other nicely. There are characters like Ironhide and (for a while) Starscream that don't really do much in the comics that shine in the cartoon, while characters like Shockwave and Grimlock shine in the comics. There are character origins I prefer the comic version of (Mainly the Dinobots), while others I think are a lot better in the cartoon (Sky/Jetfire, Omega Supreme). The comic of course lasted much longer, resulting in a lot of characters we never saw in the cartoon, and has without a doubt the better origin for the Transformers (Their cartoon origin isn't bad, but the comic one is way more unique) and Unicron (Who's cartoon origin is laughable). Of course, in order to really get a taste of how good the comics are, you need to include the UK stuff. Why so many of these attempted sequels have ignored them is beyond me.
I'll definitely have to agree with you on Unicron's origins. I don't know what the writers were thinking of with that episode... :lol:

R.I.P. George Root III

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I just got done rewatching Bumblebee on Blu-Ray and am once again reminded why this is far and away the best live-action Transformers movie ever and why the reigns to the franchise should permanently be given to Travis Knight. Not only is the action coherently shot and the story actually focusing on the Transformers, but this is the only live-action Transformers movie apart from maybe the first that made me feel anything for the human characters as well. I loved the struggles between Charlie's personal life and keeping Bumblebee by her side.

Some of the cheesy humor we've come to expect is still there, but all-in-all, it's a more-than-suitable compromise and a genuinely entertaining film.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Well i saw Jack Frost from Blue Moon studios... it was, something alright. Jack wants to be a comedic horror villain like Freddy and Chucky but always fails in his lines, and his origin is really similar to Chucky's too.

Also, there's a bunch of odd plot holes. Anti-freeze sounds like it's enough to kill a human, but the main character got out and in it fine?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Truck Turner and Conquest of The Planet Of The Apes.

The 70s really don't get enough respect for being the decades that action movies started to get into high gear.

Truck Turner is really impressive with it's shoot outs. There real bloody, with good guys and bad guys blowing huge bloody holes in each other. It's almost on the leave of some of Hong Kong's heroic bloodshed movies. Isaac Hayes is just amazing in this.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:Truck Turner and Conquest of The Planet Of The Apes.

The 70s really don't get enough respect for being the decades that action movies started to get into high gear.

Truck Turner is really impressive with it's shoot outs. There real bloody, with good guys and bad guys blowing huge bloody holes in each other. It's almost on the leave of some of Hong Kong's heroic bloodshed movies. Isaac Hayes is just amazing in this.
I've seen Truck Turner in the past as well. Loved Isaac Hayes in that movie along with the woman who leads the brothel. Definitely an eccentric movie.

Over the past few months, I have been doing some marathons with the film catalog on Disney Plus. I watched every Star Wars movie in December to prep for Rise of Skywalker and I watched every Disney theatrical animated feature from January to March. Pretty insane to go all the way from Snow White to Frozen 2. I believe the ending movie tally was around 60.

Besides those marathons, I have been watching random movies here and there. This month, I have watched the following:

1. Manhattan (1979): Only Woody Allen movie I have seen besides this one is Annie Hall. Good filmmaking and ideas, but I just don't connect much with Woody Allen's character. This was the same reaction I had after I finished Annie Hall.

2. The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965): Watched this for the first time for Catholic Easter. Decent flick, but in my opinion it does not surpass my favorite biblical epic, Ben Hur.

3. Tokyo Joe (1949): Unusual Bogart movie that takes place and was filmed in post-war Japan. I enjoyed it and I liked how they had a lot of Japanese actors. It did not feel white-washed to me although there was one scene where Bogart explains to his Japanese friend how much the Americans are helping the Japanese through the occupation. Solid movie, but not among the best Bogart movies in my opinion.

4. The Castle of Cagliostro (1979): Had this movie on my watchlist on Netflix for a year and finally decided to watch it. I started watching Lupin the Third Part II on Hulu in January and maybe got about 30 episodes in. It is a nice film and it is definitely consistent with my expectation of what a Lupin the Third movie would be like given the type of stories in the show and the personality of the characters. It might not be the best Miyasaki movie, but it is definitely a good film.