The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by GojiDog »

Yesterday I watched a movie called The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019), an Indy film that got some buzz last year. It came heavily recommended to me and my sister even sent me the Blu-Ray as a birthday gift while I'm in isolation.

And honestly, it is one of the sweetest feel good films I've seen in a while. Admittedly, there are aspects of it that hit a little close to home for me given my family life, but I found myself enjoying this film for its entirety.

The film is bout Zak, a man with Downs Syndrome (played by Zack Gottsagen, a real downs person) runs away from his care shelter to achieve his dream of becoming a Professional Wrestler. Along the way, he meets a con-man named Tyler (played by Shia LeBeouf) who is on the run from some shady individuals he screwed over. Together, they have a Huck Finn style adventure as Tyler teaches Zak about life and new skills as he tries to get him to the wrestling school he's looking for, while Zak's case Eleanor (played by Dakota Johnson) is looking for him.

Like I said, this is a sweet, feel good movie that is designed to tug at the heart strings. The growing friendship between Zak and Tyler is adorable to watch unfold, and Shia gives one of the best performances of his career here. And if you're a wrestling fan, the ending is bound to put a smile on your face.

Its just a sweet movie with a sweet premise and a sweet cast. I can't praise it enough. There are aspects of the story I wish had been fleshed out better but the movie never loses its sense of fun and sweetness. It is just a delightful movie, and in times like this, it was just what the doctor ordered. 9/10
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Godzilloci
Samurai

Post by Godzilloci »

Just saw Interstellar. I almost never call anything my absolute favorite, but this movie is exactly that: my absolute favorite film. It's extremely rare for a story, even a cliched "cosmic horror" story, to feel legitimately cosmic in scope, and it's even more rare for such a story to express this strong, compelling empathy for both humanity and the individual. Somehow it portrays the sheer blackness, immorality, and incomprehensible immensity of the universe, while still embracing humanity's humble sentimentality and fierce capacity for devotion and determination.

I don't usually score things, but I will easily give this a 10/10

Funny how my favorite movie strongly explores science-fiction, while my favorite novel strongly explores fantasy (The Last Unicorn). I guess the important thing is that both stories are rich, thoughtful, mature, and intensely compassionate without being fake or blind about it. And both are devoted to not only revitalizing their genres' tired tropes, but outright transcending them psychologically, so in a way neither of them are mere genre stories, but a universal style of story.
Last edited by Godzilloci on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I saw Who Killed Malcom X a little while ago. Pretty interesting experience if i say so myself! Haven't watch it all yet.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

The Number 23 (2007)

Hey guys I last watched the movie The Number 23.

I have never seen it in full before. Fairly poor really. Overly expository, spends a vast amount of time explaining it's plot and ending to the audience.

The special features has a documentary about people who believe in conspiracies regarding 23. I thought it was just a movie concept but people really believe it.

Fun fact it was directed by Joel Schumacher who also worked with Jim Carrey on Batman Forever.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

eabaker wrote:
Rody wrote: Ohhhhhh; I didn't pick up on that at all, but that does make sense. How did they manage to miscommunicate that badly about the film?
Now I'm curious what the film would have looked like as the comedy it was intended.
Good question. I think Guillermin was very much a hired hand on that pic, and he and Semple may not have had much direct interaction.
That sounds like a pretty bad screw-up on someone's part. I admit, I don't know much of anything about film production, but I would one would want one's lead creators to be in contact with one another.

Penguin Highway was my film of choice today; I'd been sitting on a Blu-ray copy for a while. I've been delightfully surprised sometimes by the selections at ordinary retail stores.
The film is sort of a slice-of-life film, set in a small Japanese town with mysterious hijinks that lead to a big sci-fi finale, featuring lots and lots and LOTS of penguins along the way. There's a lot that happens, and I think I would have preferred the film to stay at a smaller scale; but ultimately it's a story of a little boy learning how to think and act like an adult - even if he's 3k+ days still to get there.
He does have an odd fixation on boobs for someone his age. I could have done without that - but yeah, this is a pretty good movie, and a very PRETTY movie. Japanese animated films are looking amazing these days.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

THE HUNT - Man what a surprisingly fun movie... Betty Gilpin kicked ass the entire film.

I kept hesitating to watch it, but damn glad I did I would recommend it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rody wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Rody wrote: Ohhhhhh; I didn't pick up on that at all, but that does make sense. How did they manage to miscommunicate that badly about the film?
Now I'm curious what the film would have looked like as the comedy it was intended.
Good question. I think Guillermin was very much a hired hand on that pic, and he and Semple may not have had much direct interaction.
That sounds like a pretty bad screw-up on someone's part. I admit, I don't know much of anything about film production, but I would one would want one's lead creators to be in contact with one another.
Agreed. As a producer, De Laurentiis always seemed way more interested in what he could advertise to lure audiences into the theater than in what the product was that he actually showed them once they got there.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Gojira( 1954 )

The original, with subtitles. The wife has never seen it. Curious to see her reaction once it's over...

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

eabaker wrote:Agreed. As a producer, De Laurentiis always seemed way more interested in what he could advertise to lure audiences into the theater than in what the product was that he actually showed them once they got there.
I'm looking him up now to see what all he produced; I don't know most of it, but I recognize a few genre titles which I'm pretty sure have never had a strong reputation.
(Although I see he was an uncredited executive on The Great Train Robbery, and I liked that one a lot)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rody wrote:
eabaker wrote:Agreed. As a producer, De Laurentiis always seemed way more interested in what he could advertise to lure audiences into the theater than in what the product was that he actually showed them once they got there.
I'm looking him up now to see what all he produced; I don't know most of it, but I recognize a few genre titles which I'm pretty sure have never had a strong reputation.
(Although I see he was an uncredited executive on The Great Train Robbery, and I liked that one a lot)
And he produced Mario Bava's Danger: Diabolik, which is an awesome flick. Sadly, Bava was frustrated dealing with De Laurentiis's front office bureaucracy and declined to make a sequel.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

The Killer Meteors - 1976

Hey guys I last watched the very early Jackie Chan movie The Killer Meteors. One of the very few movies where he plays a villain and not the lead character.

It's actually quite good as well. The whole plot, Jackie Chan sets up a guy with a series of fights where he has to use up his secret weapon The Killer Meteor so that Jackie Chan can beat him. Major Twist, once Jackie Chan fights him the guy has a second Killer Meteor which he uses to defeat Jackie Chan. Big deal.

It's still good, pure 70's martial arts from Lo Wei who directed Bruce Lee films The Big Boss and Fist of Fury.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Hannibal (TV series)-season 1

Just got through the first 5 episodes of S1 of the Hannibal TV series on Blu Ray, such an epic show on so many levels. Love the relationship between Will and Lecter throughout the series and Laurence Fishburne is great, as usual.

I love that they're playing the "surprise killer" angle at the beginning of the show like a big unraveling mystery, yet we all know who Hobbs' accomplice is right from the get go. And they do a fairly good job of building up to the big reveal in spite of this.

I also love how Lecter uses Graham's own empathy for psychopaths against him, pushing him to become a crazed killer like he is all throughout the first season, and how he's constantly pulling strings to avoid detection throughout the entirety of the series.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Tiger King.

HOLY SHIT. You all must see this.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tamura wrote:Tiger King.

HOLY poop. You all must see this.
This?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_K ... nd_Madness

Maybe I’ll start it tomorrow.

I just watched Under the Silver Lake, pretty good but pretty polarizing.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

It's just wild. I didn't realize such incredibly broken and fundamentally unlikable people existed.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I took advantage of the free month-long trial of CBS All Access to watch Picard. The first episode was a bit of a disappointment, although it's interesting enough that I'll probably continue. So far though I've watched more Hawaii 5-O and Mission: Impossible: these HD transfers are great, although they're a bit macroblocky thanks to streaming. Why the hell aren't these on Blu-ray yet??

Similarly, I've been enjoying the stunning HD transfers of The Outer Limits on Amazon Prime. When money isn't so tight I'll probably pick this up on Blu and dump the old DVDs.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:I took advantage of the free month-long trial of CBS All Access to watch Picard. The first episode was a bit of a disappointment, although it's interesting enough that I'll probably continue. So far though I've watched more Hawaii 5-O and Mission: Impossible: these HD transfers are great, although they're a bit macroblocky thanks to streaming. Why the hell aren't these on Blu-ray yet??

Similarly, I've been enjoying the stunning HD transfers of The Outer Limits on Amazon Prime. When money isn't so tight I'll probably pick this up on Blu and dump the old DVDs.
Picard is okay, better than Discovery, and has brief moments that feel like out of TNG/TOS. There's a few good episodes but unfortunately it also peters out at the end.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

The Tiger King might be the most bizarre but amazing documentary I've ever seen.....I loved it and the story is interesting to say the least.

10/10

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Mighty Joe Young (1998) - despite being well aware of this film as a kid, I've only seen it in entirety a couple of times in recent years, counting this last watching. It's a major overhaul of the original story in the details of the plot, but the heart is there and arguably presented even better than the original (of which some aspects haven't aged well). James Horner provides a solid score, and the practical ape effects look amazing - the CGI shots are blended in well too. All in all, this is a charming, wholesome alternative to the standard monster flick.

...And is it just me, or do Bill Paxton's outfit and hairdo in this film make him look a lot like Steve Irwin?
Last edited by Rody on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Kung Pow: Enter The Fist

Hey guys I last rewatched the comedy classic Kung Pow: Enter The Fist. Few movies can match it for genuine laughs per minute!

The odd phenomenon, the cow matrix parody is completely unfunny but is the main thing they used to advertise it. Where as nearly every other joke is hilarious everytime. Strange how the most mainstream marketable jokes are never actually funny.

Be sure to listen to the commentary track as well as the alternate English Scholar audio language track. Even though the movie's major joke premise is in itself an alternate audio track.