The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
H-Man
G-Grasper

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by H-Man »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Actually I believe it's been confirmed to be bullshit. Apparently Dux is a notorious liar and braggert.
There's an interesting documentary about the subject called Put Up Your Dux (2010).

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

The Witches 2020

Well we all knew it was going to be terrible and what can I say other then it was, Anne Hathaway seemed to have a bit to much fun playing the Grand High Witch. Unlike the original there was nothing creepy or scary about it. Let me say the CGI effects were used WAY to much and were beyond awful. Looked like something straight out the mid 90's early 2000.

An they gave the Grand High Witch Pennywise creepy big smile which made zero sense. This film seemed like a bad spoof of the Original.
The film runs about 1 hour an 40 minutes but feels about double that. This was a massive missed opportunity.

I'd rate it a 2 out of 10.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (2020)

10 out of 10.

One word.

Flawless.

Truly a faithful adaption to the games. What more can I say other than this was such an adrenaline-fueled ride from the get-go and end! :D

Granted I admit I only had two minor nitpicks.
Spoiler:
First time Sonya kicks Johnny in the nuts while understandable at the same time felt was an overreaction as she could have just elbowed him in the gut for touching her. The second time however is pretty uncalled for.

The fact at the beginning of the movie that Sonya struggles with this guy in a city, yet was on even-ground with Reptile, being he's a skilled reptilian warrior.
Otherwise, this was a really solid film, anyone who is a fan of Mortal Kombat like me, this is definitely for you.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Been watching The Dragon Prince on Netflix. For background info, the head writer for Avatar The Last Airbender, Aaron Ehasz, is one of the co-creators of The Dragon Prince! You can definitely see the spirit and energy of ATLA captured in The Dragon Prince. Managed to get all the way to the first half of Book 3 before schoolwork and life forced me to go on a brief hiatus. Totally recommend this show for Avatar fans!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Hocus Pocus (1993). First time I'd seen it. Pretty decently entertaining, especially as live-action Disney Halloween movies go. Surprisingly edgy, too; there was some adult humor that would never fly today, plus mentions of Satan and Hell, and a fair bit of mild language. Definitely not the kind of ultra-sanitized product you expect from Disney today.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Welp, i saw Over the Hedge earlier today. I enjoyed myself with it! Admittedly though, i do understand why it fell out among Dreamworks' other works, and some of the jokes.. just don't make sense (what the heck is up with the Nacho mushroom cloud?)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Watched Blood of Zeus on Netflix.

Its not the best in terms of writing, but it looks awesome, and if you're into Greek Mythology, its worth a look.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I made the unfortunate mistake of watching Mars Needs Moms today.

I still recoil in horror.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Borat was hilarious and horrifying
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Gigantis wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:26 pm I made the unfortunate mistake of watching Mars Needs Moms today.

You think that's bad.

I dare ya to watch The Amazing Bulk.

Better yet given its close to the holiday watch Rapsittie Street Kids: Believe in Santa and then tell me what's bad. :lol:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:33 am
Gigantis wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:26 pm I made the unfortunate mistake of watching Mars Needs Moms today.

You think that's bad.

I dare ya to watch The Amazing Bulk.

Better yet given its close to the holiday watch Rapsittie Street Kids: Believe in Santa and then tell me what's bad. :lol:
Oh i saw Rapsitte. Horrific, and also kinda shameful that it is. If the animation wasn't so bad i think it wouldn't have ben nearly as lookeddown upon.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Watched the original Fright Night on Prime Video, it was a solid, campy good fun vampire flick. Solid story with better emphasis on characters than the 2011 film, and Chris Sarandon plays a MUCH better Jerry than Colin Farrell, though I'll give the remake credit for largely standing on its own and not rehashing too much from the original. I watched the remake about 10 years prior and, while it kept some of the same story elements from the original, I like that it wasn't an almost shot-for-shot remake like the remake of Carrie.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KManX89 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:02 pm Watched the original Fright Night on Prime Video, it was a solid, campy good fun vampire flick. Solid story with better emphasis on characters than the 2011 film, and Chris Sarandon plays a MUCH better Jerry than Colin Farrell, though I'll give the remake credit for largely standing on its own and not rehashing too much from the original. I watched the remake about 10 years prior and, while it kept some of the same story elements from the original, I like that it wasn't an almost shot-for-shot remake like the remake of Carrie.
I've never seen the remake but I did watch the original as well a few weeks ago and yeah it's a lot of fun! I like how it's very down-to-Earth and relatively simple with not too many grand set pieces. It really makes the special effects sequences and such really pop.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

For its 30th anniversary, I watched 'The Rescuers Down Under' on Disney+ earlier this week. That's one movie that really perfected the art of cell animation (especially with Glenn Keane and Chris Sanders' work on Marahute), and it's a pity it's overshadowed by the other Disney Renaissance films. Plus McLeach was definitely one of George C. Scott's most underrated roles.
Last edited by Leviarex on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Watching 300, always a great watch no matter how many times I've seen it, historical inaccuracies aside, which was a controversy in and of itself. Some of the most memorable CGI and action scenes you'll ever see with a great story and ham performances throughout. Gerard Butler killed it as Leonidas, especially in that one scene, which I'll get to below, really liked watching the evolution of his character.

I appreciated how well it was able to lay out the Leonidas exposition at the beginning with the narration from Xerxes and transition to the present without it negatively affecting the flow of the film. In fact, it did a great job connecting the narration to the Battle of Thermopylae all throughout the movie's runtime. Everything is well-connected, well-paced and well-executed.

What I really loved was how it was able to pull off all those CGI effects with a $65 mil budget. You'd think this was a $100+ mil movie with all those effects used, but nope, it was somehow able to deliver plenty of eye candy and still keep a modest budget.

And of course, who can forget this iconic scene, probably the most quotable thing in the whole movie (I think you know where I'm going with this)?:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gonna go through my unwatched blind buy Criterions this week, today's film was Anatomy of a Murder (1959).

Long movie, but oh so worth it. Brilliant suspense, especially during the final hour or so with the trial. Man, do I love Jimmy Stewart. One of the most charismatic actors I've ever watched, probably one of my favorites of all time. I'm definitely going to be diving further into his filmography soon.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jingle Jangle. It was very good and the absence of Santa and his caribou was a nice change of pace.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

WOW! This is a perfect movie if there is such a thing.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I watched the 1999 House on Haunted Hill remake last night on HBO Max and, other than prime Famke Janssen, I found little to pique my interest throughout this movie. I really like horror movies and am able to excuse a lot of their shortcomings and still be entertained by my fair share of them, I even consider Scream 3 and 4 guilty pleasures, but holy fuck was this a mess. The movie starts off with some very promising visuals and tone... in the opening credits, then it goes South. So many plot holes, unlikable characters with some cringeworthy dialog and acting from guys who you can tell don't want to be there and CGI that would look bad in a film that came out in 1989, especially at the end with the CGI ghost.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Currently watching Bleach, Hilda, and The Angry Beavers.

Bleach because I'm staying home more due to cases of COVID rising and to break up my day.

The Angry Beavers just for nostalgia owning the complete series on DVD.

Hilda, I'm rewatching the first season to get ready for season 2 on Monday.