The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Going through Bojack Horseman season 4. Excellent season, better than 3 which I felt was a little meandering.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:The Orville. And I enjoyed it.
But... but... the internet has explicitly told me that it is a bad show because the pilot episode "doesn't know what kind of show it is!"
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:The Orville. And I enjoyed it.
But... but... the internet has explicitly told me that it is a bad show because the pilot episode "doesn't know what kind of show it is!"
The contemporary comedy and retro (I guess a classic 90s style sci-f is 'retro' now? I feel so old...) did mix roughly, a bit. They bumped up against each-other jarringly. But, heck- I'm looking at it the way I do Star Trek (since that's the vein it's trying for)- and which of them didn't have a slightly-rough pilot? :) I can see the criticisms' point, but I also saw the potential. They have some good characters, and a good setup to proceed from- once they figure out how to integrated their humor (and they did have some great jokes) and their style (some moments in it are the most Star Trek-y things I've seen this millennium), I think the show can be something great.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Finished watching the new IT. Not a bad movie they done a good job with it. A whole cast of child actors and they were all really good.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Land Before Time. One of my favorite movies as a kid, and I hadn't watched it in well over a decade. It's always kind of a weird experience, going back to a childhood favorite like that. On the one hand it's this wonderfully nostalgic blast from the past, seeing again all those scenes you once knew by heart, everything coming back to you out of the fog of time. On the other hand, you're seeing it now from a very different perspective. That can be good, allowing you to appreciate elements you didn't pay attention to or took for granted as a kid. Or it can make the movie feel... smaller. Shorter. A little clunky at points. Generally not as epic as it once was, you know? And now it never will be again. *sigh* This probably comes across as sadder than it is. 'Bittersweet' is a good word, I guess, but heavier on the sweet than the bitter. It's still a beautiful movie, and I'm glad to have seen it again. My little brother and sister were seeing it for the first time, and they definitely had a good time.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

And that's why I don't visit my childhood. As a grown up I loose the sense of amazement and wonder and love I have for said films. As to why I haven't touched this movie Land before Time in a long while....the same with a few others.......Some things need to be seen by the innocent heart and eyes of a child and not as an adult. I preserve the same feeling of wonder. If my children watch it I'll sit a while and see a few scenes but then I get up and do grown up business.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Revisiting movies from childhood can be a surprising experience. Sometimes, no, they don't hold up that well; but there are also cases where, with more mature eyes, I can appreciate better just what it was that made these movies so effective and impactful.

In the case of The Land Before Time, I was just a little too old for it when it came out (I was 9 when it hit theaters), so my main response at the time as annoyance that younger kids started referring to real dinosaur species by the names of the characters in the movie. I suspect that, were i to see it now, I'd probably judge it with a slightly more open mind. But having no nostalgia for it, I'll probably never get to re-watching it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Oh no doubt one can better understand and appreciate the film through the looking glass of more mature eyes. That sense of wonder of joy and sentiment get stripped by overly analyzing special moments of a memory. I prefer to leave well enough alone in that regard.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote:Oh no doubt one can better understand and appreciate the film through the looking glass of more mature eyes. That sense of wonder of joy and sentiment get stripped by overly analyzing special moments of a memory. I prefer to leave well enough alone in that regard.
I think, for me, I'm so in love with the process of film making, and with film analysis/theory, that looking back at a movie with those things in mind can actually add to that joy and sentiment. But obviously that's not going to be true for everybody.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I use to be obsessed with Jurassic Park when it first came out. I thought it was the end all be all of movies. You know what, I haven't actually seen it in 20+ years and I don't ever really feel inclined too. The more I've come to appreciate the novel the more my tolerance for the film has waned. Though I don't deny that's partially my sister's influence. She loved the novel but hates the film. I admit it's one of my few childhood favorites that has significantly lost its luster as I've gotten older.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Because of my interest in analyzing and critiquing films I tend to find more ways to enjoy a nostalgic film, but that's not always the case. I also watched Land Before Time a few months ago after a very long time and even though nostalgia and all the flooded memories came back to me, I didn't feel that it was as amazing as I saw it as a kid. With no doubt though it is a good movie and one of Don Bluth's best. The biggest surprise I had though was finding out that the movie is only an hour long. It sure felt longer when I was a kid.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I use to be obsessed with Jurassic Park when it first came out. I thought it was the end all be all of movies. You know what, I haven't actually seen it in 20+ years and I don't ever really feel inclined too. The more I've come to appreciate the novel the more my tolerance for the film has waned. Though I don't deny that's partially my sister's influence. She loved the novel but hates the film. I admit it's one of my few childhood favorites that has significantly lost its luster as I've gotten older.
Honestly I'd say ignore the difference and give it a watch again. Even though it's not a perfect movie, it still has some of the best ground-breaking special effects, soundtrack, and many unforgettable scenes. But I'll agree, the book is better......
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Saw 'IT' last night and I can definitely say that it's earned the praise it's been receiving. Certainly when it comes to Horror performances, Skarsgard's worthy of being in the same category as Lugosi, Karloff, and Englund.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Leviarex wrote:Saw 'IT' last night and I can definitely say that it's earned the praise it's been receiving. Certainly when it comes to Horror performances, Skarsgard's worthy of being in the same category as Lugosi, Karloff, and Englund.
I saw it last night as well. Good movie for sure, didn't scare me a that much, but I did like all scary imagery. The kids were all excellent actors as well, Richie was hilarious. Definitely glad I hopped on the wagon and gave it a shot. Looking forward to the next one.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tried to watch Deep Blue Sea last night, but 25 minutes from the end we just COULD. NOT. with that movie anymore.

Popped in Duck Soup instead. Honestly, probably my least favorite of the Paramount era Marx Brothers flicks, although that still leaves it well above anything they did subsequently. I entirely understand all the praise, and appreciate why it was embraced by 60s counterculture; and I'd say the first half of the movie really is as good as everybody remembers. But it really drops off in the second half, resolving with too much madcap rushing around without really building any strong setpieces.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Pan's Labyrinth: My college's library got in the Criterion Del Toro box set last semester and I saw the case for this on the "NEW RELEASES" stand, so I decided to finally sit down and watch it. Great film. At first, I was put off by how little fantasy elements were in the film until about halfway through. That's when I realized it's supposed to be that way; Ofelia is creating this fantasy world to escape from the horrible new life she's had to change to with her mother. After knowing this, I enjoyed the film a lot more. The performances by all of the cast were great, especially Ivana Baquero, Sergi López, and Maribel Verdú. And who could leave out Doug Jones' spectacular performances as the Faun and the Pale Man?

4.5/5

Cronos: Del Toro's first film is pretty good, though IMO not on the same level as Pan. I love the small hints of mythos spread throughout the film, such as the opening tale of the device's creation and the small scraps of parchment that de la Guardia keeps with him and the racks upon racks of incorrect statues. The cast is great, Federico Luppi as Jesús is a likeable protagonist and with his granddaughter Aurora (played by Tamara Shanath), the two make a loveable pair. Ron Perlman is fantastic as Angel and a great antagonist. The atmosphere of this movie is deliciously 90's, another factor contributing to my enjoyment.

4/5

Can't wait to watch Devil's Backbone tomorrow.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Rewatched one of my favorite movies ever- Uncle Buck.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Rewatched one of my favorite movies ever- Uncle Buck.
Hankering for pancakes yet?
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Rewatched one of my favorite movies ever- Uncle Buck.
Hankering for pancakes yet?
:lol: Actually, yeah. And I feel like punching bad boyfriends and clowns.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The wife and I saw It last night.

It was... fine, I guess. Nothing special or memorable. The filmmakers really didn't seem to have a very strong take on the material, just kind of popping from requisite plot point to requisite plot point, without much sense of pace or atmosphere.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Mysteries of the Missing- so far I really like this series.