The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Dragoon
Monsterland Worker

Re: The Latest Movie You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by Dragoon »

A nice looking film with interesting characters that actually gives us a unique plot, unlike many other Summer Blockbusters. Love the fight scene toward the end. And I think Colonel Quadritch is a good villian, one you root for almost as much as the protaganist.

2001: A Space Oddesy

This film was BORING and very confusing. Didn't get any of it beyond the evolution at the beginning. The parts with HAL 9000 were interesting but everything else seemed unnessecery and end was just weird with him turning into a baby IN SPACE. Not worth watching.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Dragoon wrote:Avatar 3D

A nice looking film with interesting characters that actually gives us a unique plot, unlike many other Summer Blockbusters. Love the fight scene toward the end. And I think Colonel Quadritch is a good villian, one you root for almost as much as the protaganist.

This film was BORING and very confusing. Didn't get any of it beyond the evolution at the beginning. The parts with HAL 9000 were interesting but everything else seemed unnessecery and end was just weird with him turning into a baby IN SPACE. Not worth watching.
Wait wait wait a minute. Avatar gives us a unique plot? James Cameron's Avatar? Puh-lease. That's a very generic plot structure. Not to say the movie wasn't good though. It's certainly entertaining and visually stunning... but lacking as far as the plot goes.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Uh, no. Although Avatar kicked ass, none of the characters (aside from Weaver) were interesting, and the plot was overdone.

And you obviously didn't get the point of 2001. That movie was awesome in its own right.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Goji_girl
Monarch Researcher

Post by Goji_girl »

The Deer Hunter

A movie about the disastrous effects nam had on a group of inseparable crazy, beer drinking dudes who go hunting on the weekend. This is my new favorite movie. It's really one of those you only have to see once, but with stellar scenery, great acting, making you feel the best - and then the worst, and just generally being one of the best Vietnam movies out there - I still watch this again and again. Oh, and Walken's hot in this. :D

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Avatar's plot isn't unique. In fact, one of my biggest gripes with that film is just how much it failed to surprise me at all.

Dragoon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dragoon »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:

Uh, no. Although Avatar kicked ass, none of the characters (aside from Weaver) were interesting, and the plot was overdone.

And you obviously didn't get the point of 2001. That movie was awesome in its own right.
Remember, opinions aren't facts. ;)

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

alienhulk2099 wrote:
No, he's right, 2001 was an incoherent pile of slow moving sludge that tried too hard being an effects movie while playing the same stock music throughout. Not to mention the last quarter was just a pointless trippy scene that serves no purpose. Fortunately 2010 redeemed what little there was of the franchise.
Good Lord, if I could reach across the computer screen....

Just because the movie doesn't have explosions, matrix-style fights, guns, humor, or fart jokes doesn't mean it's a crap movie. The effects were only a small part of the movie. If you thought it sucked because it was confusing and thought that any of the scenes showed no purpose, you obviously didn't watch it the right way with the right mindset.

Then again, you liked Disaster Movie, so that can explain alot in why you hated a deep movie like 2001 or many of Kurosawa's films.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Dragoon wrote:Remember, opinions aren't facts. ;)
How is it an opinion to say that a story is unoriginal? Whether or not it's done well is the opinion.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Hm, I'll have to see that one. 2001: A Space Odyssey is often referred to as one of the greatest movies...

Dragoon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dragoon »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:
alienhulk2099 wrote:
No, he's right, 2001 was an incoherent pile of slow moving sludge that tried too hard being an effects movie while playing the same stock music throughout. Not to mention the last quarter was just a pointless trippy scene that serves no purpose. Fortunately 2010 redeemed what little there was of the franchise.
Good Lord, if I could reach across the computer screen....

Just because the movie doesn't have explosions, matrix-style fights, guns, humor, or fart jokes doesn't mean it's a crap movie. The effects were only a small part of the movie. If you thought it sucked because it was confusing and thought that any of the scenes showed no purpose, you obviously didn't watch it the right way with the right mindset.

Then again, you liked Disaster Movie, so that can explain alot in why you hated a deep movie like 2001 or many of Kurosawa's films.
Hey, don't be a jerk. The point of movies is to be entertained, not like books. With movies if it doesn't have humor or action it probably sucks. There are a few exceptions, but its still true. And if to like a movie you have to "watch it with the correct mindset" probably means the movie is bad and you have to ignore stuff. But yeah, Disaster Movie did suck. Wasn't enough disaster and more like "bad jokes about recent films."

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

alienhulk, why dont you read some of the millions of essays out there that explain the deepness of 2001? Hell just google "2001 and evolution" and you'll get a trove of info. Not that your 10-year old mind can really understand such info, but at least the info is there.

And Hellspawn, I thought the space fetus signified transcendence above humanity, since it was basically the next stage in human evolution, rather than humanity being relatively young.
He/him/his

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

alienhulk2099 wrote: Oh I get it, some black obilisk is found and they are distracted by X amount of stuff until they find it. Last guy alive meets some aliens, sees evolutionary importance, blah blah blah, still a bad movie.
You didn't get it.
He/him/his

Dragoon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dragoon »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:alienhulk, why dont you read some of the millions of essays out there that explain the deepness of 2001? Hell just google "2001 and evolution" and you'll get a trove of info. Not that your 10-year old mind can really understand such info, but at least the info is there.
Anyone can write an essay about a movie and put "meaning" into it. For example, in Diehard the hostages represent the German populice in WW2, the terrorists respent Hitler's various Storm Troopers and other helpers and the lead terrorist represents Hitler and his second in command is Mussolini. Now the movie is a political masterpiece!

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

AH, have you ever thought that maybe it isn't your kind of movie? That doesn't make a movie good or bad. A movie doesn't always need to be action-packed to be good. Hell, the fact that you all can spend all this time discussing it should account for something in the movie's favor.

And I really need to see it. :lol:

Anyway...

American Gangster (2007)
Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe star in a loose (and damn is it loose) retelling of a '70s era drug lord and the honest cop who brought him down.

Despite the fact that it's a stock-and-standard gangster film that fails to break any new ground, I find American Gangster an entertaining movie from beginning to end. There's not too much to say about it aside from the fact that the acting is good. The film is light on action and will never reach the ranks of The Godfather or even Goodfellas, but is certainly one of the better films of the decade. The characters are nothing more than what you'd expect and, aside from the main two, none go through serious development. It's just a two-and-a-half hour long crime film that manages to be good. See eet!

3.5/5

Dragoon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dragoon »

wataru wrote:
alienhulk2099 wrote:
He probably never saw it. He just read the Wiki article.
Nope, I saw it, didn't even bother to read the Wikipedia article.
Sorry, no one believes you. You're the new GXG
I believe him, because if he read the wikipedia artical he'd "get" the symbolism that people have made up. He just saw the movie instead of reading the essays, much like I did, and realized what it was: Crap.

Dragoon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dragoon »

Legion1979 wrote:
Dragoon wrote:
I believe him, because if he read the wikipedia artical he'd "get" the symbolism that people have made up. He just saw the movie instead of reading the essays, much like I did, and realized what it was: Crap.
Can I ask how old you are?

Write your speech yet?
I'm a 15 year old Sophmore and I've done some general research on the project, but I'm not going to write the speech. I can't possibly do it.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Legion1979 wrote:To add to this topic, the last movie I watched was the original Gojira with commentary.
You have to review it.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Dragoon wrote:I believe him, because if he read the wikipedia artical he'd "get" the symbolism that people have made up. He just saw the movie instead of reading the essays, much like I did, and realized what it was: Crap.
Last time I checked, you don't need to read essays in order to analyze a movie, even a movie like 2001.

Then again, maybe you're too lazy to analyze the movie in order to fully appreciate it anyways. Afterall, you'd rather make yourself mute before taking the time to write a speech. ;)
Last edited by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/him/his

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Legion1979 wrote: Review the original Godzilla? Is that necessary?

*rules thread rules*

Wow, way too many rules for a thread that should just be fun. I'm not coming into this one again.

Mike when I created this thread it was a big spam thread so I added those rules too it to prevent people from posting every time they watch a new movie. Yes their are people on this forum that are like that.This was of course when I was a mod so techically speaking my rules shouldn't even apply if non of the other mods or admins want to
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

The H-Man (1958)
A Honda classic. Nowhere as good as Matango, but the scares are serviciable. Love the horror/detective mix.
4/5.

Mermaid in a Manhole (1988)
Part 4 in the infamous Guinea Pig series. I wasn't really interested in these films, but this one I found it to be fairly competent. It's got some nice atmosophere and gore effects. Sadly its straight-to-video look makes it monotone at times (namely when nothing horrific is happening). Give it a look or two though.
3.5/5.

Gremlins 1 & 2
Both highly entertaining, especially the sequel with its broader variety of Gremlins, and John Glover's terrific performance.
3.5/5, 4/5.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"