The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Latest Movie You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Dragoon wrote:Two things: Firs tof all you treat me like a ------.
You are.
I did research
You? Taking the time to actively do research? I find that hard to believe.

Just like how you did research on your paper which you did- oh wait...
and I learned that not all of Avatar is original (some of it is from Ferngully) but the majority of it is so it's still a good film.
You actually had to do research to find out that Avatar was literally a cut and paste story of Pocahontas and Dancing With Wolves. Wow, no wonder I treat you like a ------.
Second of all, Jurassic Park could've been solved in they fired the fat idiot
You want to fire the "fat idiot" who is literally the key to maintaining the computers that are controlling Jurassic Park and keeping the place from falling apart....hrm.
and did research into frogs before putting the frog DNA in the Dinosaurs.

As Arrow said, it's a symbol of arrogance. Maybe if you read the book, you would know.
The Special Effects are outdated now, so that doesn't make it that good.
Too bad they revolutionized CGI. Just because the SFX are 20 damn years old doesn't mean they still suck for their time.
The characters are bland and unlikeable.
Yet you like Avatar, which has cardboard cut-out characters. Now you're just trolling.
The music wasn't too different then other summer blockbuster themes.
Yep, you're trolling.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Dragoon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dragoon »

Alright fine I'll admit my movie tastes aren't the majority and shud up about JP but I still have some good points about it.

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World Blu-ray: Awesome movie is awesome. The fights were awesome. I actually prefer the Lucas Lee fight in the movie too the book. The music was great. I still can't believe this filmed bombed. I would give a 8.5 or 9.0/10 easily.
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

The Quick and the Dead (1995) - Pretty entertaining western from Sam Raimi. The allusions to Leone's work are very noticeable, working its way into the soundtrack and cinematography. The acting for the most part is solid, especially from Leonardo DiCaprio's charming cockiness and Gene Hackman's intimidating stature. The camerawork is brimming with energy, with Raimi's trademark enjoyable tilted close-ups in full force during the staredowns before each gunfight. I've heard complaints about this being a genre mish-mash, but that's what most Westerns are. They have drama, action, comedy, and of course a sprinkling of romance. So, this film is a Western in the totally traditional sense. If I had to say there was one glaring flaw, it's Sharon Stone, who ironically cast Leo, Russell Crowe and got Raimi the job. She should've stayed behind the camera for this, because her acting is utterly terrible and her character wildly ranges from strong woman to sniffling girl. It's off-putting, and just makes me want Hackman and Crowe spouting insults off to each other all the much more. All in all, a fun flick with a very weak lead. 3.5/5

Sky High (2003) - A Ryuhei Kitamura film that would've worked better were it not directed by Ryuhei Kitamura. As a supernatural mystery, it totally works. It has good performances, a neat atmosphere, and an interesting concept. However, once the blades and fists start flying, the film quickly grows uninteresting. The swordfights are clumsily choreographed, with so much pointless spinning and twirling that it could make the Star Wars prequels blush. The CG sparks are very tacky, making the fights look more comical than arresting. Also, like most Kitamura films, it takes a basic concept that could make for a cool 90-minute movie and blows it out of proportion into a two-hour+ disappointment (i.e. Versus and Godzilla Final Wars). Still, it's not a bad film. The production values are strong, and the characters are interesting. It does make me want to watch the J-drama on which this movie is a prequel of, so it accomplished one of its goals. 3/5

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Grown Ups- This was a decent flick by Sandler and the rest of the gang had a nice mixture of SNL alumni in it. It sort of reminded me of Click except less drama. Good but not his greatest at least it's not as bad as You Don't Mess With the Zohan.

How to Train Your Dragon- This was a brilliant film I really enjoyed it. Defiently one of the best movies I've seen this year. It also looks pretty fucking sweet on BD. I will be for sure picking this up soon.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (with commentary by Ted Elliot & Terry Russio) - (3/5) Upon a re-watch of the last two movies, I've actually come to prefer this one over the third. I guess my favorite part of the movie is the musical score, probably the best of the trilogy. From the Kraken theme to Cutler Beckett's to Tia Dalma's, as well as that haunting tone that plays whenever Davy Jones is mentioned, specifically when he does the "Do You Fear Death?" routine, it's all good. My favorite scenes would be when the Kraken destroys the Edinburgh Trader and when Will challenges Jones to the dice game. It's an incredibly entertaining movie. My biggest gripe with it, however, would be the pacing. Too much time is given to scenes like Cannibal Island, the brawl in Tortuga, and the three-way sword fight between Jack, Will, and Norrington.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - (2/5) Eh, I'm not feeling this one as much anymore. I still like it, but I feel that it failed to properly develop many of the plot points brought up in DMC. In one case, it seems to make up a completely different story from the former and left me with a lot of questions regarding the nature of Davy Jones. Overall, the story feels like it's bouncing all over the place - a problem with the second, admittedly, but not nearly as distracting there as here. Unlike the first two, the movie simply takes itself too seriously. And I feel that the musical score was a step down from the second. Still there are nice action scenes and special effects, the last half hour or so is simply epic, the Pirate Lords are a nice concept, and the characters are as good as in the first two - save for the complete emasculation of Davy Jones in order to make Beckett more a threat. It's an entertaining movie, but it has a lot of flaws.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Finishing up The Complete Metropolis. The new footage they found is in pretty rough shape (it's 16mm and blown up to 35mm size), but it's nice to have the actual complete movie. This was one of my favorite films before, and it's just an even better film then it was.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

wataru wrote:The Flintstones (1994) - still a great little flick. Normally something Id watch on a holiday, but being it's the holiday season - WTH. This, Casper and Richie Rich are just fun to watch. Cute acting, I rather liked how they didnt focus on Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm, having kids try to relate. Seeing Halle Berry in it was odd. She's like a goddess now and here she is with dirty feet in an animal pelt with horrible lines. 5/5 personally. 2/5 professionally.

Santa Claus(e) 3 - yup, milked the series to death after 2 films, this film is a TURD! The only good part was Michael Dorn as The Sandman. I seriously hope a Santa Claus(e) 4 The Escape Clause never gets made. Let it die - it was cute but its crap now. 1/5 both personally and professionally.

You Can't Escape The Zohan - Win. 5/5 both again. ...man I busted a gut laughing at sily smooth.

Do you mean You Don't Mess with the Zohan because if you do that movie is shit. WORST. ADAM. SANDLER. FILM. EVER!

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Godzillawolf
G-Grasper

Post by Godzillawolf »

Firebreath 5/5

Great film, I loved it. They managed to intergrate the two storylines (Duncan's life as a teen and his life as the son of the world's strongest monster) very well. The characters were well done and the kaiju varied enough calling them Kaiju was fitting. I suggest it to pretty much anyone that likes kaiju films.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Godzilla and other Movie Monsters- An interesting documentary created to cash in on GINO it does have cool footage but most of the information presented in it is kind of old. 7.5 out of 10

Mothra vs Godzilla- Watched the American cut of CM's disc last night just because I hadn't watched the movie in about three years. MvsG or rather Godzilla vs the Thing is defiently one of my favorite movies in the series though the print CM used was really beat up; obviously the aspect ratio wasn't the same, the print had scratches on it which can give the film character but my biggest complaint was the colors seemed faded and washed out. Overall though it's still an enjoyable movie hopefully if a reissue is done they can fix the aspect ratio and clean up the color issue. 9 out of 10

PC Specs

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Brain of Blood (1972)
A pseudo-foreign film trying to emulate the formula of such filipo films as The Brides of Blood, going as far as featuring an actor from that film. The production values are however much worse, resulting in a non-sensical plot (more so than usual with the genre) and some rather choppy editing. Regardless it's a very fun and schlocky film, with lots of bad make-up and gore effects to boot.
1.5/5.

The Green Inferno (1988)
Though it's sometimes refered to as Cannibal Holocaust II, there aren't any cannibals in the film. It's a pretty standard jungle adventure film, punctuated by a few moments of shock. It's much easier to stomach than its older brothers but at the same time more monotonous. It also has one of the most irritating scores ever to be heard on film.
2.5/5.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Burlesque - Entertaining little film with some major eye-candy and catchy musical numbers. Cher is still an incredible actor (and singer of course), and Christina isn't to bad herself. It tactfully avoided some of the pitfalls of the standard chick-flick which had me taking the film on a more serious level then I expected. However, the gay character doesn't actually have any character traits outside of being spunky and spouts one-liners. Seriously. His dialogue is almost entirely one-liners. Is Scott Pilgrim destined to be the only film with a gay character with any sort of dimension and doesn't require his sexuality to characterize and define him? Lame.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Over the past several nights

Godzilla vs Gigan- Really enjoy this one of my favorites. The Sony DVD has an amazing print and I'd love for Sony to do a BD release of this or at least Toho release one soon.

Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 74- Again Sony's print is top notch. Don't really care too much for this one but still a lot better than some of the later stuff. I think my main complaint is the suit I don't like this Showa suit.

Terror of MechaGodzilla- CM did a nice job with their release of this the TV prologue attached to the begining of the English print is a nice touch. The film itself is a little slow paced but at least Titanosaurus is cool.

Godzilla vs Megalon- I hadn't watched this in so long that I decided to download a subbed copy. The print was I believe a DVD rip of the R2. The movie is decent but again I dislike this suit.

So yeah been on a Showa/70s Godzilla film kick as of late.

PC Specs

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

The 40 Year Old Virgin- Actually watched this during the period of my last post but forgot to include it. The movie still holds up as one of the funniest movies from the 2000s. Steve Carrel did an excellent job as the title character.

Iron Man 2- I didn't care for the first IM film but I really enjoyed this one. I don't know why I didn't like the first one maybe I should give it a second viewing but yeah Iron Man 2 is a solid sequel and liked the little nods to Captain America and the Avengers film coming out.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World- Been wanting to see this for awhile now and its was well worth the wait. I really enjoyed the nods to classic video games. I think I'm going to pick up the comics well at least dl them and probably get the game on Xbox Live Arcade.

PC Specs

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

The 7 Faces of Dr Lao- Got this from Netflix last week because it featured a "sea monster" in it. It was actually a good movie in it Tony Randall (Odd Couple fame) plays seven different parts in the film including, the titular character. It's about a town that is made an offer to sell out and move away and then Dr. Lao shows them the error of there way and stuff through a creative "circus".

Q The Winged Serpent- Decided to rent this from Netflix after the topic created here. The story is interesting but drags on. The creature effects are nice. Overall a nice horror title from the early 80s the year I was born in fact.

PC Specs

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Robin Hood. Definately an interesting retelling of the story. Still don't like Russell Crowe, though. The supporting cast shines in this movie, though.

Blade 2: Still the best Blade movie out there. Nomak is just bloody awesome. The fight choreography (when the leave out that damn CG) is fun, and, hey, Ron Pearlman ftw.

Time Traveler's Wife. Okay, I'm not a chick-flick guy, but this was a pretty fun movie. They actually did a pretty good job of handling the obvious paradoxes time travel could create. The end is also very touching. If I had to rate it, I'd probably give it a 3.5-4/5.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

The Land Unknown (1957)
Extremely boring and dated '50s Sci-Fi. There's not much to praise aside from the somewhat impressive sets and the vaguely likeable antagonist. The Tyrannosaurus suit for this film is one the worst I've seen, and the slurpasaur technique (dressed up lizards) is one the few B-Movie methods I actually dislike, as it often results in the injury/death of the involved animals.
2/5.

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)
Gearing up for Christmass with this "classic". I enjoyed myself with this one, even if for the wrong reasons. What makes such experience worthwhile is how the allegedly serious moments (Boldar!) end up providing more laughs than the film's actual comedy. It's "up" there with the moviemaking of Indonesia and Ed Wood's filmography.
1.5/5.

The Italian Job (1969)
Exciting car chases, top notch cast, an attractive color palette; a solid effort all around. While it does take a while for the film to pick up, from the Turin scenes onward it's nothing but entertainment. Caine and his fellow cast members have some of the best chemistry seen on film. And of course, there's the Self Preservation Society!
4/5.

Escapes (1986)
A forgotten horror anthology presented by Vincent Price. Of all the stories my favorite would be "Coffee Break", with props for making something as trivial as a coup of coffee scary. There is much of the cheap factor, with its TV movie status sticking out in the special effect department (those goblin/ape creatures...), but otherwise worth checking out.
3/5.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

This week I've watched all the Star Trek movies that I hadn't seen yet.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979). A mechanical entity surrounded by a cloud of some kind is threatening to destroy Earth, so Captain Kirk and the others board the Enterprise once again and set out to settle the matter. This movie may have been a big thing when it came out, but it doesn't feel so spectacular by today's standards. Sure the special effects are fairly well done and all, but the pacing is quite slow. For instance, the scene where we're introduced to the Starship Enterprise goes on for a minute or two too long. At least it's accompanied by Jerry Goldsmith's brilliant score. 3/5

Star Trek: Generations (1994). In the first movie of The Next Generation series, Captain Picard and company must stop a maniacal scientist named Soran, and they end up getting help from the least expected man. All in all, this movie might be the "worst" of TNG movies (the final scene could've had a bit more impact especially), but I still found it very enjoyable. The acting is good. Malcom McDowell, for example, gives a satisfying performance as Soran. It's also nice to see some members of the original series' cast in this film. The action scenes are a pleasure to look at, and Dennis McCarthy's score, while not as fantastic as the works of Goldsmith or James Horner, is another really good one. 4/5

Star Trek: First Contact (1996). The Enterprise crew travels back in time to stop the Borg from interrupting humanity's "first contact" with life outside Earth and taking over the planet. This movie is definitely the best in TNG series. It has a good story, great acting (one of the highlights being James Cromwell), nicely done action scenes, and yet another brilliant music score by Goldsmith. 4/5

Star Trek: Insurrection (1998). Picard and the others have to turn against Starfleet in order to save a small population of peaceful beings from getting transferred from their planet. This is another really enjoyable movie in my opinion. For one thing, it's got to be the funniest of TNG films. The dogfight scene where Picard tricks Data by singing a piece from H.M.S. Pinafore is one of my favorite scenes. The acting, once again, is handled well, and the action scenes, effects and Goldsmith's music are nice. 4/5

Star Trek: Nemesis (2002). In the last TNG movie, the Enterprise crew comes across Shinzon, a clone of Picard. After they find out that his intentions are not for everyone's benefit, it becomes a race to save Earth from destruction. While I didn't like this one quite as much as First Contact or Insurrection, it's still a pretty solid movie. It's sort of like TNG variation of the original film series' The Wrath of Khan. The acting is good, the final battle is thrilling and Goldsmith delivers another fantastic score. Also, the ending is quite touching. 4/5
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

RodanRedux
Monsterland Worker

Post by RodanRedux »

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948). Humphrey Bogart is the man. John Huston is one of the best directors ever.
Blade Runner (1982). I don't need to say anything its simply a perfect film.
-FINIS-

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

wataru wrote:
RodanRedux wrote:The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948). Humphrey Bogart is the man. John Huston is one of the best directors ever.
Blade Runner (1982). I don't need to say anything its simply a perfect film.
Ugh the movie is so dull.
*SMACK*

NO! BAD! NOW COME BACK AFTER YOU LEARN!
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple