Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

Post by Chrispy_G »

Angilasman wrote:^ Is that a part of the new 4K release?
From what I understand yes. Psycho is also getting a stand-alone 4K release(at least a Steelbook at Best Buy, I believe) but also a Blu Ray 60th anniversary release.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The Inugami Family (1976) is on Blu-ray in Japan (affordably so, too), but AFAIK the rest of the Kon Ichikawa-directed Kindaichi films haven't been released since the DVD heyday. I think this could be an interesting series for a company like Arrow to tackle but I'd take a Japanese release too.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

La antena/The Aerial, a fantastic science fiction film from Argentina is not only missing on BD but on pretty much Region 1 discs entirely. It's available on Netflix but I'd love a physical copy.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Well, Paramount has reissued Sin City and the Scream trilogy collection (previously under Miramax, who the parent company, CBS now owns), so fingers crossed on The Crow getting rereleased on Blu-Ray.

And I'm still waiting on that The Abyss Blu-Ray release, dammit.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Hmmmm, I feel like now that Disney owns Fox and Disney is so persnickety about their home video I should make it a point to buy any of my favorite Fox films I don't already have on Blu-ray. All I can think of is Aliens (already have the first one) and War for the Planet of the Apes (have the first two and the original series)...

Have I mentioned how much I want the original theatrical cut of The Warriors on Blu-ray? Currently, all that's available is the George Lucas-esque director's cut Special Edition from the 2000s, even though a nice HD version of the theatrical cut has been available on various streaming sites for like a decade. Now that Paramount is starting to do stuff with their catalog releases again maybe there's hope?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Angilasman wrote:Hmmmm, I feel like now that Disney owns Fox and Disney is so persnickety about their home video I should make it a point to buy any of my favorite Fox films I don't already have on Blu-ray. All I can think of is Aliens (already have the first one) and War for the Planet of the Apes (have the first two and the original series)...
If these go into "the vault" you can still bank on them coming out at some point. It's so depressing to think of Fox's catalog titles from the silent era onwards which are going to fade into oblivion. Disney blows.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Terasawa wrote:
Angilasman wrote:Hmmmm, I feel like now that Disney owns Fox and Disney is so persnickety about their home video I should make it a point to buy any of my favorite Fox films I don't already have on Blu-ray. All I can think of is Aliens (already have the first one) and War for the Planet of the Apes (have the first two and the original series)...
If these go into "the vault" you can still bank on them coming out at some point. It's so depressing to think of Fox's catalog titles from the silent era onwards which are going to fade into oblivion. Disney blows.
BUT GUYS we get the Fantastic Four and X-Men in the MCU...AND did you EVEN SEE that Skywalker Saga 4K Box Set?!? The purchase was totally worth it :roll:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I know you're just being sarcastic but I don't think there's anything wrong with people who were excited for the Fox purchase because of the Marvel implications. But because I truly couldn't care less about any of the properties you named, I agree. On top of Disney likely burying Fox's already neglected catalog titles, it has awful antitrust implications. It shouldn't have been allowed.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Sure, nothing wrong with people enjoying the Star Wars and Marvel properties united under one umbrella. As Godzilla fans we can appreciate the headaches that come JUST from distribution rights being divided across multiple companies...let alone film production rights and things of that nature.

It's just, to see the mass celebration over "unified Marvel and Star Wars" is a little irksome when it comes at the cost of properties like Simpsons, Family Guy, Alien, Predator, Planet of the Apes, Fox's entire back-catalog of films/shows over the course of basically a century....ALL of that is just filed under a neat little 'now owned and controlled by Disney' file. That's a shame, because it largely feels like Disney just wanted it all to have it all, to potentially just farm it out for whatever pennies it can get.

They didn't build any of those properties, and many of them are no longer the cash-cows they once were, so now under Disney they will just be completely muted, watered down, and the strength of their 'brand' will be used to squeeze out as much money for as little effort as possible.

BACK ON TOPIC

The ultra-dark Wicked City is getting a nice Blu Ray release in North America in September. It is a gnarly film that pulls no punches and I'm happy to see it get the proper Blu Ray treatment.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I don't know if I've said this before, so I'll say it here if I didn't.

I want to see Cheaper to Keep Her (1981) on Blu-ray. Even on DVD would be nice, for that matter. Btw, one review of this film said this: "Better to avoid it." Well, I liked it.

And not only that, a film I'd like to see even more than that is the restored director's cut of Phase IV (1974), with the recently discovered missing footage from the end of the film spliced back into the master film - so it'll be in every print from that point on. I'd like to tell whoever has the rights to this film PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS FOOTAGE INTO A BONUS FEATURE!!!!! The only major bonus feature I want here on a future home video release is the theatrical trailer.

While we're at it, why not release The Mighty Heroes: The Complete Series and The King Kong Show: The Complete Series on DVD or Blu-ray? They're both long since overdue, especially the second one.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Media Blasters will always be on notice because they stirred up the proverbial hornets' nest with Toho, but since they seem to be serious about putting out their tokusatsu catalog on Blu-ray (Gappa earlier this year, now Zeiram 2, Zebraman, and Hakaider) I'll take away some of the bad things I've said about them!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mission: Impossible is finally coming to Blu-ray on November 17.

Link.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

El Santo's first movies are getting blu-rays from Kino, next year. Santo vs. The Evil Brain and Santo vs. The Infernal Men. I hope that this is a start of Santo films becoming more available.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:El Santo's first movies are getting blu-rays from Kino, next year. Santo vs. The Evil Brain and Santo vs. The Infernal Men. I hope that this is a start of Santo films becoming more available.
That's great news. I'll probably snag a few when they go on sale. I've always been interested in seeing some of his films.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Scored the Alien Anthology Blu-ray set used at 2nd and Charles! It's the fancy-schmancy digibook version, too.

Added in 10 days 19 hours 7 minutes 5 seconds:
Happy that Altman's Popeye is coming to Blu. Flabbergasted that Paramount is producing several new bonus features for the release! Only boutique labels tend to do that for old movies these days.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just thought of a few of my favorite TV movies that are long since overdue for Blu-ray release (or DVD release, for that matter):

*Snatched,
*Murder by Natural Causes,
*Curse of the Black Widow,
*The Missing Are Deadly,
*This House Possessed,
*Midnight Offerings.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Speaking of TV: where's the greatest TV show ever, Columbo?

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Warner archive are putt The Bermuda Depths out on blu-ray. It's such a good movie, a creepy, gothic romance set in the Bermuda triangle with a giant turtle.

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:Warner archive are putt The Bermuda Depths out on blu-ray. It's such a good movie, a creepy, gothic romance set in the Bermuda triangle with a giant turtle.
Hm.. I couldn't find any info on a blu-ray release of that movie, could you provide me with a link?
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The Bermuda Depths is another Rankin/Bass & Tsuburaya Productions co-production, ala The Last Dinosaur.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.