Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

Post by mikelcho »

I know this is a Blu-ray thread, but I figured I'd mention this here.

A little while ago, I got from my local Walmart DVD re-releases of both Animaniacs: The Complete Series (which includes all 99 episodes of Animaniacs and the film Animaniacs: Wakko's Wish and was done for the series' 25th anniversary (I think; please let me know if I'm right or wrong)) and Batman Beyond: The Complete Series for excellent prices (I think it was $39.99 each before tax, IIRC). The latter is also on Blu-ray, but the former, for some reason, isn't...yet. Hopefully, that'll change someday, given enough time (btw, Batman: The Complete Animated Series was also re-released on DVD and Blu-ray at the same time, which includes all 70 episodes of Batman: The Animated Series, all 15 episodes of The Adventures of Batman & Robin and all 24 episodes of The New Batman Adventures. Two of the three films connected with the series - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero - are also included in the set (the third film, Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, is not included, though, and I don't know why). The box set is also available in a Deluxe Limited Edition as well). I've already got the film Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - The Original Uncut Version on DVD and, for my birthday and Christmas this year, I got the spin-off TV series The Zeta Project: Season 1 and The Zeta Project: Season 2, respectively, on DVD-R from Warner Archive. So, at last, my Batman Beyond saga (the original DCAU version, that is) is complete!

By the way, is Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - The Original Uncut Version available on Blu-ray or not? I don't know. UPDATE: I've read the Wikipedia article on the film and, from what I can see, it also isn't...yet. Hopefully, that'll change someday, too. UPDATE 2: I've just found out this film is now on Blu-ray! Is that great or what?

Now, I'm still waiting for the two Pinky and the Brain TV series to be re-released so I can complete that saga as well. I think Warner Bros. could re-release them one of two ways: either as two separate re-releases (Pinky and the Brain: The Complete Series and Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain: The Complete Series) or, to save both money and time, combine the two series into one re-release (and maybe call it Pinky and the Brain/Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain: The Complete Series), both with new artwork on the boxes (or box) and the cover sleeves (or cover sleeve) just like the other three re-releases. Whatever it is, I hope it'll be done sooner or later (maybe even now, due to the recent release of the Animaniacs reboot (which also includes Pinky and the Brain)).

What I'd like to ask is: of the two ways I've mentioned here, which do you guys and gals think is more likely to be done? I'd say the latter choice, the one I'm hoping they'll do, even though I believe they're going to do the former anyway.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 80 times in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 01520-1400

The fun bit here that has me happy...FINALLY getting good ole' "Thursday" on Blu Ray. That title has been DVD/International only/Out of print for a long time, so I'm glad it is getting a nice new release from Kino Lorber.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Curse of Frankenstein getting its North American BD debut from Warner Archive.
THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957) - 2 DISC SPECIAL EDITION

New 2020 1080p HD Restoration Masters from 4K Scans of Preservation Separation Elements
Run Time: 83:00
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio: Disc One-1.85:1-16x9 Widescreen and 1.66:1-16x9 Widescreen
Product Color: COLOR
Disc Configuration: 2-BD 50

Special Features: New feature commentary by Screenwriter/Film Historian Steve Haberman and Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr, Newly Remastered 1.37:1 Open Matte version of feature. New Featurettes include: The Resurrection Men: Hammer, Frankenstein and the Rebirth of the Horror Film, Hideous Progeny: The Curse of Frankenstein and the English Gothic Tradition, Torrents of Light: The Art of Jack Asher, Diabolus in Musica: James Bernard and the Sound of Hammer Horror, Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

The first, and perhaps the best of the long-running series of horror films from the house of Hammer, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee star in this landmark interpretation based on the famous Mary Shelley story. Baron Victor Frankenstein becomes friends with one of his teachers, Paul Krempe. At first, both men are fascinated by the potential of their re-animating experiments. Eventually, though, Krempe refuses to help with Frankenstein's human experiments. However, he is drawn back into the plot when Frankenstein's creature kills a member of the house staff. For its U.S. Blu-ray debut, Warner Archive is proud to present this deluxe 2 Disc Special Edition, featuring two theatrical aspect ratio presentations, meticulously remastered and restored from preservation separations, as well as bonus disc with the restoration presented in "open-matte" format, as was seen for years on television, plus four exciting new retrospective featurettes, an expert commentary, and the original theatrical trailer.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Kino Lorber is putting out The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, with a 4K restoration from Universal.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:56 pm Curse of Frankenstein getting its North American BD debut from Warner Archive.
THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957) - 2 DISC SPECIAL EDITION

New 2020 1080p HD Restoration Masters from 4K Scans of Preservation Separation Elements
Run Time: 83:00
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio: Disc One-1.85:1-16x9 Widescreen and 1.66:1-16x9 Widescreen
Product Color: COLOR
Disc Configuration: 2-BD 50

Special Features: New feature commentary by Screenwriter/Film Historian Steve Haberman and Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr, Newly Remastered 1.37:1 Open Matte version of feature. New Featurettes include: The Resurrection Men: Hammer, Frankenstein and the Rebirth of the Horror Film, Hideous Progeny: The Curse of Frankenstein and the English Gothic Tradition, Torrents of Light: The Art of Jack Asher, Diabolus in Musica: James Bernard and the Sound of Hammer Horror, Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

The first, and perhaps the best of the long-running series of horror films from the house of Hammer, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee star in this landmark interpretation based on the famous Mary Shelley story. Baron Victor Frankenstein becomes friends with one of his teachers, Paul Krempe. At first, both men are fascinated by the potential of their re-animating experiments. Eventually, though, Krempe refuses to help with Frankenstein's human experiments. However, he is drawn back into the plot when Frankenstein's creature kills a member of the house staff. For its U.S. Blu-ray debut, Warner Archive is proud to present this deluxe 2 Disc Special Edition, featuring two theatrical aspect ratio presentations, meticulously remastered and restored from preservation separations, as well as bonus disc with the restoration presented in "open-matte" format, as was seen for years on television, plus four exciting new retrospective featurettes, an expert commentary, and the original theatrical trailer.
This is the showstopper, but the Warner Archive's upcoming releases are totally stacked overall! Just made my Christmas!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:20 pm I know this is a Blu-ray thread, but I figured I'd mention this here.

A little while ago, I got from my local Walmart DVD releases of Animaniacs: The Complete Series (which includes Animaniacs: Wakko's Wish and was done for the series' 25th anniversary (I think)) and Batman Beyond: The Complete Series both for excellent prices (I think it was $39.99 each before tax, IIRC). The latter is also on Blu-ray, but the former, for some reason, isn't, at least as far as I know (btw, Batman: The Complete Animated Series was also released on DVD and Blu-ray at the same time, which includes all 85 episodes of Batman: The Animated Series and all 24 episodes of The New Batman Adventures (unfortunately, it did not include all 20 episodes of The Adventures of Batman & Robin - again, at least as far as I know; of course, I could be wrong)). I've already got Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - The Original Uncut Version on DVD and, for my birthday, I got The Zeta Project: The Complete First Season on DVD-R from Warner Archive (I hope to get The Zeta Project: The Complete Second Season, also on DVD-R from Warner Archive, for Christmas).

By the day, is Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - The Original Uncut Version available on Blu-ray or not? I don't know. UPDATE: I've read the Wikipedia article on the film and, from what I can see, is isn't. Hopefully, that'll change someday, given enough time.

Now, I'm still waiting for the two Pinky and the Brain TV series. I think Warner Bros. could release them one of two ways: either as two separate releases (Pinky and the Brain: The Complete Series and Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain: The Complete Series) or, to save both money and time, combine the two series into one release (and maybe call it Pinky and the Brain & Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain: The Complete Series), both with new artwork on the boxes (or box) and the cover sleeves (or cover sleeve) just like the other three releases. Whatever it is, I hope it'll be done soon.

What I'd like to ask is: of the two ways I've mentioned here, which do you guys and gals think is more likely to be done? I'd say the latter choice, the one I'm hoping they'll do, even though I believe they're going to do the former anyway.
Hey, I'd really like some feedback to this question here. I always like to have honest opinions on things like this.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

A few weeks old, but the notorious pre-code fake documentary Ingagi has been announced for a January 5th by Something Weird Video, in association with Kino Lorber, the film's first home video release period.
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=27662
Something Weird Video, in association with Kino Lorber, will bring to Blu-ray William Campbell's film Ingagi (1930), starring Sir Hubert Winstead, Charles Gemora, and Daniel Swayne. The release will be available for purchase on January 5.

Synopsis: The exploitation cinema had its share of scandalous films, but none is so mired in controversy as the bizarre pseudo-documentary Ingagi. Purporting to be an ethnographic journey into the wilds of Africa, it combines authentic footage purloined from other films, with outrageous scenes staged for the camera in Los Angeles. Among the hoaxes perpetrated are the discovery of the "tortadillo," a heretofore unknown species of animal, and the exposure of an indigenous cult that worships (and sacrifices its women to) gorillas—a particularly racist concept that would resurface in films for years, most notably as the dramatic springboard for King Kong. After spawning a whole sub-genre of exotic shockumentaries (e.g. Forbidden Adventure, Karamoja), the originator faded into obscurity, mired in lawsuits and cursed by the notoriety of its title (the Kinyarwanda word for "gorilla"). Ingagi has not been commercially distributed for at least 50 years, and this 4K restoration, from materials preserved by the Library of Congress, marks the film's home video premiere.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
Audio commentary by film historian Kelly Robinson
Audio commentary by series curator Bret Wood
About the restoration
Trailer gallery
Optional English SDH subtitles
The film, which depicts gorillas knocking up "African Women" was a direct inspiration for King Kong, so its historical importance, as disgusting as it may be, cannot be overstated.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:24 am A few weeks old, but the notorious pre-code fake documentary Ingagi has been announced for a January 5th by Something Weird Video, in association with Kino Lorber, the film's first home video release period.
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=27662
Something Weird Video, in association with Kino Lorber, will bring to Blu-ray William Campbell's film Ingagi (1930), starring Sir Hubert Winstead, Charles Gemora, and Daniel Swayne. The release will be available for purchase on January 5.

Synopsis: The exploitation cinema had its share of scandalous films, but none is so mired in controversy as the bizarre pseudo-documentary Ingagi. Purporting to be an ethnographic journey into the wilds of Africa, it combines authentic footage purloined from other films, with outrageous scenes staged for the camera in Los Angeles. Among the hoaxes perpetrated are the discovery of the "tortadillo," a heretofore unknown species of animal, and the exposure of an indigenous cult that worships (and sacrifices its women to) gorillas—a particularly racist concept that would resurface in films for years, most notably as the dramatic springboard for King Kong. After spawning a whole sub-genre of exotic shockumentaries (e.g. Forbidden Adventure, Karamoja), the originator faded into obscurity, mired in lawsuits and cursed by the notoriety of its title (the Kinyarwanda word for "gorilla"). Ingagi has not been commercially distributed for at least 50 years, and this 4K restoration, from materials preserved by the Library of Congress, marks the film's home video premiere.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
Audio commentary by film historian Kelly Robinson
Audio commentary by series curator Bret Wood
About the restoration
Trailer gallery
Optional English SDH subtitles
The film, which depicts gorillas knocking up "African Women" was a direct inspiration for King Kong, so its historical importance, as disgusting as it may be, cannot be overstated.
Good old Something Weird Video, can always depend on them out out the weirdist things that you never know you needed to watch.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I honestly had no idea Something Weird was still around since Mike Vraney died.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:50 am I honestly had no idea Something Weird was still around since Mike Vraney died.

They mostly pactner with other companies such as Vinegar Syndrome and AGFA for new releases of things from their catalogue, nowadays.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

One of the heads at Arrow, have put out a massive list of hints for what they going to be releasing next year.

Jan:
Gamera Redo
- Southt
- JSA
- Oldboy UHD
- REC

Feb:
- Shogun's Joy of Torture
- Demons 1+2
- El Duce Tapes
- Beyond Reanimator

March
- DASS (Darkness)
- TIM (Japanese Invisible Man duo)
- D UHD (Dune)
- BLOOD
- D ?

April
- Django UHD
- MAST
- BR UHD (possible Battle Royale UHD)
- CLAPBOARD (Clapboard Jungles)
- OTE

May
- WWS / REB BOX SET
- GHOST W (Ghost Waits)
- SS
- DGHH

June
- LM BOX SET (Lucky McKee boxset, All Cheerleaders Die, May and The Woods probably)
- VT BOX SET
- SS
- G&T
- (The) STYLIST
- T UHD (the Terminator)

July
- SB? (Shaw Brothers boxset, might be the 36th Chamber of Shaolin films.)
- C UHD (could also be U UHD or WHD)
- D
- LEG
- D BOX SET
- B UHD
- DIA

August
- C BOX SET
- YOL BOX SET
- SG (Show Girls)
- DS
- F? (Frighteners or Fistful of Fingers)
- DIL
- MLN

September
- MD?
- G BOX SET (The Grudge)
- IR
- WT UHD
- C UHD
- HW?

October
- LE UHD (Last Emperor, but seems more like Academy. Maybe Legend?)
- Y BOX SET
- D UHD
- GNO
- Hx2 UHD (2 Halloweens? 2 and 3 most likely)
- ATTS BUS

November
- B BOX SET?
- POTM (Phantom of the Mall??)
- MOS
- F (Fistful of Fingers or Frighteners)
- F
- SONY? (Sonny Chiba set?)
- BB
- NL UHD (Naked Lunch)

December
- BIG BOX (Something like the Gamera or H.G Lewis sets, but I'm not sure what it could be. A Nightmare On Elm Street?)
- EJ? ??UHD TBC

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Is there any confirmation that Arrow's doing Terminator? That would be a great buy if true. I hope they can snag T2 as well since the current UHD disc is pretty bad.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:34 am Is there any confirmation that Arrow's doing Terminator? That would be a great buy if true. I hope they can snag T2 as well since the current UHD disc is pretty bad.
There is a strong possibility that it's them. Shout, said that got out didded for the licence for it. Someone asked Kino, if it was them and they said no. So that leaves Arrow or Criterion.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Awesome. That'll be a day one purchase.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

If they are doing a Shaw Brothers set I hope it's more than just the 36th Chamber films, as I already have the excellent and affordable English friendly HK Blu-ray set.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

The guys behind Dawn Of The Discs, have made a list of what Arrow could be releasing next year based on the list clues that came out last week.

D UHD Dune UHD
POTM Phantom of the Mall
MAST Nico Mastorakis title
DASS Jules Dassin title (Academy?)
LEG = Legend
LE UHD = Last Emperor UHD (Academy?)
LM Boxset = Last of the Mohicans boxset w/all cuts (Academy?)
C UHD (#1) Carrie UHD
C UHD (#2) Conan UHD
Y Boxset Yokai Monsters boxset
G Boxset Grudge Boxset
D Boxset Daimajin Boxset
H X 2 UHD Hellraiser 1/Hellraiser 2 UHD
Big Box/EJ UHD TBC Early Peter Jackson boxset UHD
T UHD Terminator UHD or Tenebrae UHD
BR UHD Battle Royale UHD
BB Boxcar Bertha
TIM The Invisible Man Appears / The Invisible Man vs The Human Fly double feature
SB Something Shaw Bros. related
NL UHD Naked Lunch UHD

Contemporary films:
BLOOD The Bloodhound
STYLIST The Stylist
CLAPBOARD Clapboard Jungle
GHOST W A Ghost Waits

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I'd certainly be down for all those toku releases if they're in the cards! (do we consider j-horror toku?)

I'd be super happy if the got the US home video license for Battle Royale, as well.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I guess that J-horror dose count as Tokusatsu.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

An early Peter Jackson box set would be heaven. I know those are getting 4K restorations but it would be great if Arrow could put them out.

There’s a ton on that list I’d buy. Terminator UHD, Daimajin, Yokai Monsters, Legend, Invisible Man films. That’d be an expensive year, but oh so worth it.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

They say physical media is dying, but you wouldn't know it looking at all those releases.

One personal favorite I THOUGHT was M.I.A on Blu-ray turns out to have been released much earlier this year: the little animated feature film The Point, based on an album by Harry Nilsson. The reviews I've seen suggest it's a pretty nice release, so I promptly ordered a copy (currently on sale!) which should be arriving soon. This was probably one of my most-watched films as a kid, so it will be nice to see it in a format beyond VHS. :lol:

Now I'm waiting for Willy the Sparrow...