Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

Post by mikelcho »

Chrispy_G wrote:So....the Daimajin Trilogy Blu Ray from Mill Creek is currently out of print/insanely priced.

What is the current status of these films? Would Mill Creek still have the rights to release them in the US or has the license possibly lapsed?
Boy, am I glad I got that one when I did, just like all the other daikaiju films I got when I could!

I hear it was a very superior Blu-ray release for these films, too, all things considered. And Daimajin Strikes Again even got a brand-new English dub by practically the same people that did the first two films!
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu May 07, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Chrispy_G wrote:So....the Daimajin Trilogy Blu Ray from Mill Creek is currently out of print/insanely priced.

What is the current status of these films? Would Mill Creek still have the rights to release them in the US or has the license possibly lapsed?
The current status is likely that the rights have lapsed back to Kadokawa seeing as how that release is eight years old now.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote:

The current status is likely that the rights have lapsed back to Kadokawa seeing as how that release is eight years old now.
Only eight years old? I thought it was longer.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote:And Daimajin Strikes Again even got a brand-new English dub by practically the same people that did the first two films!
I'm not sure if that's an assumption you had or something you heard, but either way it's not at all the case.

I mean, it got an English dub, yes. But it wasn't dubbed by "practically the same people that did the first two films."

The first film was dubbed in Europe (probably Rome) and the second was dubbed at Titan Productions in New York several years later. There's only a tiny chance that those two films likely share even one member of the voice cast (or post-production crew). The odds that the third film's dub (recorded circa 2012) features any performers from either of the earlier dubs (recorded circa 1967 and 1970, respectively) are even smaller.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu May 07, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Mill Creek's Daimajin release is one of the best kaiju home video releases the US ever. Great transfers, classic dubs, newly commissioned dub, special features... it and Criterion's release of the original Godzilla movie in 2012 are the best, and if all goes well Arrow Video's Gamera release will soon join them!

My wishlist:

- Hong Kong action films from the 80s and 90s. Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, films directed by John Woo - that sort of thing. I've become a fan in the last couple of years, and a lot of stuff is currently unavailable and even the stuff that has been available is in terrible quality! Upgrades are needed!
- all of the Marx Brothers movies Warner Brothers owns. A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races seem like good picks for the Criterion Collection, while their later, frankly not as good, films are shoo-ins for the Warner Archive.
- speaking of the Warner Archive; they own so many of the classic films I want and even though they put out like four films a month and also license to Criterion and Kino there's just such an enormous backlog. Because of acquisitions over the decades they have all the old Warner movies, the RKO library of movies, and all the classic MGM movies. So they basically own most of classic Hollywood. I want the Thin Man sequels, Captain Blood, all the old Bugs Bunny cartoons, Scaramouche, The Prisoner of Zenda... just a whole bunch of movies.
- I feel almost like a spoiled brat asking for more Japanese genre stuff considering the deluge we're enjoying now, but I would love even more! All the old Toho science fiction and fantasy films would be greatly appreciated, all of Keita Amemiya's films, Nobuhiko Obayashi's films (crazy they weren't all licensed after the enormous cult success of House), the first few Ju-On movies, etc. etc. etc.
Last edited by Angilasman on Thu May 07, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:
mikelcho wrote:And Daimajin Strikes Again even got a brand-new English dub by practically the same people that did the first two films!
I'm not sure if that's an assumption you had or something you heard, but either way it's not at all the case.

I mean, it got an English dub, yes. But it wasn't dubbed by "practically the same people that did the first two films."

The first film was dubbed in Europe (probably Rome) and the second was dubbed at Titan Productions in New York several years later. There's only a tiny chance that those two films likely share even one member of the voice cast (or post-production crew). The odds that the third film's dub (recorded circa 2012) features any performers from either of the earlier dubs (recorded circa 1967 and 1970, respectively) are even smaller.
Thanks for telling me this. I thought Titra/Titan had dubbed the TV releases of the first two Daimajin films like they did so many other kaiju films back in the day.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri May 08, 2020 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote:I thought Titra/Titan had dubbed the TV releases of the first two Daimajin films like they did so many other kaiju films back in the day.
Titan dubbed Return of Giant Majin.

The first film has no localization credit but it's believed to have been dubbed in Rome by the English Language Dubbers Association (ELDA).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I thought Titra/Titan had dubbed the TV releases of the first two Daimajin films like they did so many other kaiju films back in the day.
Titan dubbed Return of Giant Majin.

The first film has no localization credit but it's believed to have been dubbed in Rome by the English Language Dubbers Association (ELDA).
Again, thanks for the info.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Angilasman wrote: Hong Kong action films from the 80s and 90s. Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, films directed by John Woo - that sort of thing. I've become a fan in the last couple of years, and a lot of stuff is currently unavailable and even the stuff that has been available is in terrible quality! Upgrades are needed!
Over here, we getting spoiled rotten by companies like 88films and Eureka, who are just killing it with these films. Once again, there locked to region B. I've linked to Amazon page for really good region free player.
all of the Marx Brothers movies Warner Brothers owns. A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races seem like good picks for the Criterion Collection, while their later, frankly not as good, films are shoo-ins for the Warner Archive.
I know Arrow did box set of Max Brothers movies, don't know what region they are.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Those are their Paramount released (but now Universal owned) first five films. Uni released a rather nice Blu-ray set of them a couple of years ago in the US.

The fact that those Hong Kong movies are being licensed in the UK makes me suspect certain US parties are now lining up the rights. Similar to how Police Story 1 & 2 were UK releases then Criterion did their release here soon after.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Here is a pleasant surprise. Pitch Black, one of my favorite creature features of ALL TIME is coming to 4K from Arrow!

That is one of the films in my collection I always expected to just remain as a Blu Ray forever....as the formats advance, some films just get left behind(as evidenced by this thread where we are hoping and praying for movies to hit Blu Ray, let alone 4K)

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 52920-1530
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'd kill for Reign of Fire in 4K. Honestly the bluray of Reign of Fire is one of the best early Bluray transfers I've ever seen. Can only imagine how fantastic it would look in 4K.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I'd kill for Reign of Fire in 4K. Honestly the bluray of Reign of Fire is one of the best early Bluray transfers I've ever seen. Can only imagine how fantastic it would look in 4K.
I remember seeing that one in theaters and watching the DVD many times. You would think it would be a fairly attractive catalog title for any studio or home media distributor, since it retroactively has a super all-star cast of Christian Bale, Matthew McConaughey AND Gerard Butler....who all went on to be in some very big films since that one.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Well apparently Disney owns it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well apparently Disney owns it.
Then its screwed. Shame, at least it was given a Blu Ray release...

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Disney still hasn't released Dragonslayer on Bluray yet.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Disney still hasn't released Dragonslayer on Bluray yet.
Probably needs to be re-edited for our protection.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

The One and Only wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Disney still hasn't released Dragonslayer on Bluray yet.
Probably needs to be re-edited for our protection.
They haven't released the Unrated cut of Stay Alive on Blu-Ray, either. 15 minutes had to be trimmed after they bought the studio and forced them to edit the movie down because of one particularly graphic scene which ties the whole subplot together.

Oh and where's the Marvel anime series' Blu-Rays? The Blade, Wolverine/X-Men ones are DVD only last I checked.
Last edited by KManX89 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I've just found a grave injustice that must be fixed at once! Guest House Paradiso, or the Bottom movie, isn't on blu-ray. Only on a long out of print DVD.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The original Dawn of the Dead. Let me tell you it was a bitch and a half trying to track down the DVD for my collection – the 2004 remake has all but overshadowed it.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.