Spider-Man and Sony's Marvel Universe.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Destoroyah of Worlds
JXSDF Technician

Spider-Man and Sony's Marvel Universe.

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:26 pm

In addition to the MCU films, Sony wants to take Spider-Man in its own direction and have him exist in their adjacent universe. Are you excited? Or at least intrigued?

Currently in the works:
- Morbius (July 31, 2020)
- Venom 2 (Oct 2, 2020)

Projects in development:
- Sinister Six - Drew Goddard, creator of Netflix's Daredevil and Co-Writer of Deadpool 2, is attached to direct.
- Kraven the Hunter
- Silk
- Silver Stable
- Black Cat
- More Spider-Verse films (direct sequels and spin offs)

What else can we expect in the future?
Leaked Sony emails prior Civil War revealed plans for:
- Spider-Man 2099
- A Clone Saga movie
- Carnage

Sony's plan was to introduce Venom, Kraven, Black Cat, and Spider-Man 2099 in stand alone movies, leading to them and Spider-Man all teaming up against Carnage in one giant event movie. They seem to still be following this plan.

----

Are you willing to give Spider-Man a chance even though he's exited the MCU?

EDIT:
As of posting this thread, Spider-Man Homecoming 3 has been added back into the MCU.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:15 am, edited 9 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Spider-Man and Sony's Marvel Universe.

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:48 pm

I believe the 2099 film was dropped as it was meant to be a tie in to the Amazing series, but I'm cool if they bring it back.

Also, Sable and Cat are supposed to have one film featuring them working together (Silver and Black was the working title)

Added in 57 seconds:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:

My 3 favorite Spider-Man films of all time have nothing to do with the MCU, so yeah, I am.

As long as they make sure to let DIRECTORS speak and not Sony's search for money, I'll take it

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Destoroyah of Worlds
JXSDF Technician

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:54 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I
As long as they make sure to let DIRECTORS speak and not Sony's search for money, I'll take it

I agree~

I think Andy Serkis is a great choice to direct Venom. I feel like he knows the ins and outs of multiple personalities after playing gollum and smeagol.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:21 am

Redirected from the other thread since there's a Sony Venomverse thread now:

KManX89 wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:Avi Arad was actually a huge part of Spider-Verse. His background before Sony was in Spider-Man cartoons, which he excels at. He's very passionate in Spider-Man despite his skreeonk ups with Spider-Man 3 and the Garfield movies.

I'm very excited for Morbius, Venom 2, and Spiderman Homecoming 3.

In the leaked Sony emails, they had planned Spiderman 2099, The Last Hunt, and the Clone saga, which could be awesome if done right. Spiderman is going to be just fine. Maybe even better than he was at Marvel.

No he wasn't, he was hands-off with Spiderverse, which, again, was only great because Sony were too busy ruining The Emoji Movie to get actively involved with it.

Fish Cakes wrote:Okay but what if the movies are better and more true to the character even if they don't make as much?

They won't be, and don't say "but Spiderverse was great" because, again, Sony were hands off with that movie. It only turned out as good as it did because they handed it off to their smaller Animation studio because they were too busy destroying The Emoji Movie. Rothman and Arad had nothing to do with it, hence why it didn't get nearly as big of a marketing budget as their other films.

he had a very active role in the film. he wasn't some nameless executive producer. he was one of the driving creative forces and producers. Like I said, Avi has a background in Spider-Man cartoons. Before he was helping out with movies, he was working on the 90's Spiderman cartoon. Spider-Verse happens to be a cartoon.

I just think the guy is a little TOO obsessed with Venom and feels pressured to insert a nemesis in live action films right away.

No he didn't, he and Amy Pascal were hands off with Spidverse. It was Lord and Miller's film which, again, Sony didn't get their hands on because they were too busy with (read: destroying) The Emoji Movie:

Meanwhile, the films he DID get actively involved with: Venom, Ghost Rider 1 and 2, both TASM movies, Ghost in the Shell; DareDevil, Elektra and X-3 while at Fox, etc., have all been mediocre at best.

Anything he and Rothman touches turns to poop.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

gvamp
E.S.P.Spy

Postby gvamp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:48 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I believe the 2099 film was dropped as it was meant to be a tie in to the Amazing series, but I'm cool if they bring it back.

Also, Sable and Cat are supposed to have one film featuring them working together (Silver and Black was the working title)

Added in 57 seconds:

My 3 favorite Spider-Man films of all time have nothing to do with the MCU, so yeah, I am.

Silver and Black got canned in favor of two solo movies.

As for Spidey leaving the MCU I'm not happy with it but I'll still see the movies in theaters. I just hope that Sony doesn't drop the ball, but I have a feeling they will.
optimum in mundi

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:27 pm

Lmao, both TASM Spidey and HoCo Spidey, got saved from fighting the Sinister Six by being cancelled. (That is, if the villains are recast)

Speaking of, can J.K. Simmons and the rest of the cast still be in Spidey 3?
Sith Apprentice.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Postby Orichalcum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 pm

Where Ice-Man and FireStar are both X-Men, I don't suppose we could get a Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends movie unless the IP switched back to the MCU could we?
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Dynomy-DX
Samurai

Postby Dynomy-DX » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:45 am

I’m preeetty unhappy with how things have turned out in terms of the MCU deal. Will I see Spider-Man 3? That depends. If it has a good director and puts a lot of heart into the character, I’ll be willing to give it a shot. If it’s another lazy Sony attempt to make their own universe, then I’ll pass. It’s 50/50 for me at the moment.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

gvamp
E.S.P.Spy

Postby gvamp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Orichalcum wrote:Where Ice-Man and FireStar are both X-Men, I don't suppose we could get a Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends movie unless the IP switched back to the MCU could we?

Marvel could do a reboot TV show. Sony's license only extends to movies not TV, hence why Marvel was able to do all those Spidey cartoons for Disney XD and The Spectacular Spider-Man TV show got canned.
optimum in mundi

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:18 am

gvamp wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:Where Ice-Man and FireStar are both X-Men, I don't suppose we could get a Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends movie unless the IP switched back to the MCU could we?

Marvel could do a reboot TV show. Sony's license only extends to movies not TV, hence why Marvel was able to do all those Spidey cartoons for Disney XD and The Spectacular Spider-Man TV show got canned.

Not entirely accurate - Sony can still do television shows, but they must be in the hour long type format. Meanwhile Disney can't do Spider-Man TV shows longer than a half hour.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Destoroyah of Worlds
JXSDF Technician

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:15 pm

Dynomy-DX wrote:I’m preeetty unhappy with how things have turned out in terms of the MCU deal. Will I see Spider-Man 3? That depends. If it has a good director and puts a lot of heart into the character, I’ll be willing to give it a shot. If it’s another lazy Sony attempt to make their own universe, then I’ll pass. It’s 50/50 for me at the moment.

Same director is coming back i believe. They already said they pitched the third movie and Sony liked the idea a lot.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:17 am

We'll finally get a Spider Man that isn't bogged down by MCU and Iron Man Jr. poop
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:We'll finally get a Spider Man that isn't bogged down by MCU and Iron Man Jr. poop

They already skreeonked him up before the MCU, they've given me no reason to think they won't do the same again here.

This is Sony, it's what they do.
Last edited by KManX89 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page

gvamp
E.S.P.Spy

Postby gvamp » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:54 pm

The more reports I read on this "breakup" the more I'm convinced that its just some big publicity stunt because each new report brings something wacky to the shitshow that this is.

We've heard reports that it was Sony's fault then Disney's fault.
I've heard reports that Sony offered the rights back for 10 Billion
I've heard they offered a deal of 30% for Spidey and Venom
We've heard reports that the door is closed.
optimum in mundi

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:32 am

gvamp wrote:'ve heard they offered a deal of 30% for Spidey and Venom

To be fair, you're getting this from We Got This Covered, which isn't a credible source for anything.
My Game Ideas Page

gvamp
E.S.P.Spy

Postby gvamp » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:03 pm

I didn't think it was. Like I said this whole thing is one big poop show and I'm half convinced its a massive publicity stunt.
optimum in mundi

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:43 pm

"This Is All A Massive Publicity Stunt," Says Increasingly Nervous MCU Fan for Seventh Time This Month
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Destoroyah of Worlds
JXSDF Technician

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:02 am

gvamp wrote:The more reports I read on this "breakup" the more I'm convinced that its just some big publicity stunt because each new report brings something wacky to the shitshow that this is.

We've heard reports that it was Sony's fault then Disney's fault.
I've heard reports that Sony offered the rights back for 10 Billion
I've heard they offered a deal of 30% for Spidey and Venom
We've heard reports that the door is closed.

Honestly? There's just a lot of misinformation and rumors. The person that leaked the story was credible, but I wouldn't trust any sources beyond Sony or Disney at this point. There's so much clickbait now.

gvamp
E.S.P.Spy

Postby gvamp » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:26 pm

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:Honestly? There's just a lot of misinformation and rumors. The person that leaked the story was credible, but I wouldn't trust any sources beyond Sony or Disney at this point. There's so much clickbait now.
Oh I know it is but its still annoying.
optimum in mundi

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Kwaidan

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:47 pm

I just want a goddamn Japanese Supaidaman movie.
Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Physician

goji89 wrote:Guess I'll leave, this place isn't what it used to be.

#Pro-Choice

Return to “Media Center”