DC Animated Films: Recommendations?

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
GojiDog
Interpol Agent

DC Animated Films: Recommendations?

Postby GojiDog » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:29 am

Hello all,

So I've seen only some of the straight to video DC animated films that have come out over the years, and I've generally liked them.

I've seen:

- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Loved it, saw it in theaters actually way back in the day)
- Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero (Liked it)
- Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (Loved it)
- Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (Eh)
- The Batman Vs. Dracula (Liked it purely for cheese)
- Superman: Doomsday (OK-ish adaptation of Death of Superman)
- Justice League: The New Frontier (Liked it, though I prefer the comics)
- Batman: Gotham Knight (Interesting, but not great)
- Wonder Woman (Liked it a lot)
- Green Lantern: First Flight (Enjoyed it)
- Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (Hated it. Felt like a video game I couldn't play)
- Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (Loved it)
- Batman: Under the Red Hood (Loved it)
- The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 and 2 (Basically, it is the comic but animated, so thumbs up)
- Batman: The Killing Joke (Hated the first half hour, generally liked the Killing Joke adapted material)
- Batman and Harley Quinn (Awful. Might be the worst one I've seen)

Obviously, there are a lot more I haven't seen, so I was hoping to get steered in the right direction. Can anybody tell me about the ones I'm interested in checking out?

- Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
- All Star Superman (this is my favorite Superman comic ever, so how was the movie?)
- Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
- Batman: Year One (love the comic, so I'm assuming this is good)
- Justice League: Doom (hear it is based on Tower of Babel, my personal favorite JLA comic)
- Superman Vs. The Elite
- Superman: Unbound
- Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
- Justice League: War
- Son of Batman
- Batman: Assault on Arkham
- Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
- Batman Vs. Robin (which version of Robin is this BTW? Grayson, Todd, Drake, or Damien?)
- Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts
- Justice League: Gods and Monsters
- Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem
- Batman: Bad Blood
- Justice League Vs. Teen Titans
- Batman Unlimited: Mechs and Mutants
- Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (no way this isn't a hoot)
- Justice League Dark (I really really REALLY want this one to be good...is it?)
- Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
- Batman Vs. Two Face (more Adam West, so I'm watching this regardless)
- Scooby-Doo! & Batman: Brave and the Bold (this one I am watching regardless cause I kind of want to experience the silly)
- Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
- Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (am I right to assume this is better than the live action Suicide Squad?)
- Batman Ninja
- The Death of Superman
- Reign of the Supermen
- Justice League Vs. The Fatal Five
- Batman Vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (heard it was great)
- Batman: Hush (one of my favorite Batman comics, and was what inspired me to kind of dive into the animated films some more).

I know that's a huge list, but I'm looking to kind of narrow it down and focus on the ones I would enjoy. So to those more knowledgeable, what say you?

o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: DC Animated Films: Recommendations?

Postby o.supreme » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Personally I enjoy the Justice League films prior to the new 52 style. Doom and Crisis are 2 of my favorites. Also the duology of Batman/Superman Public Enemies and Apocolypse are really good also
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:15 pm

Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker, specially the uncut one, is still one of my long-time favorites.
Image Image

Saansilt
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Saansilt » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:30 pm

Fatal Five was good. Stay away from the mew 52 stuff and the Teen Titans movies. The new batman movies expect for TMNT are bad. Ninja is just ridiculous fun. Gaslight was cool. The second suicide squad was terrible. Ayah I don’t know how they managed that. All Star is great. Not as good as the book but great. Elite was fun, if simple. Emerald Knights had fun stories. Flashpoint isn’t worth it. Batman Unlimited is a fun series of kid flicks. Dark was okay. Have not seen Adam west. The Death of Superman= Fun. Reign of Superman= Not fun. At all. Terrible. Year one was eh. Superman/Batman are worth watching. Not seen hush.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.

Chris55 wrote:Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?

My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:33 am

- Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - Not as good as Public Enemies, but still alright, pretty fun.
- All Star Superman (this is my favorite Superman comic ever, so how was the movie?) - Nowhere near as good as the comic, but alright all things considered. Lower your expectations.
- Green Lantern: Emerald Knights - Pretty good actually, some of the shorts are pretty great.
- Batman: Year One (love the comic, so I'm assuming this is good) - You're assuming right, it's a pretty good flick. One of the better ones actually.
- Justice League: Doom (hear it is based on Tower of Babel, my personal favorite JLA comic) - Very loosely inspired by really. If you're looking for an adaptation of any sort you will be disappointed. But if you can forget Tower of Babel exists, it's a pretty alright movie.
- Superman Vs. The Elite - Pretty good, character designs are a bit wonky but that's a nitpick.
- Superman: Unbound - Pretty good, worth a watch.
- Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox - Super great movie, one of my personal favorites up there with Under the Red Hood and Dark Knight Returns, definitely worth checking out. I'd recommend this one above all the others on your unwatched list.
- Justice League: War - Crap.
- Son of Batman - Also crap.
- Batman: Assault on Arkham - Hella fun.
- Justice League: Throne of Atlantis - Slightly less crap.
- Batman Vs. Robin (which version of Robin is this BTW? Grayson, Todd, Drake, or Damien?) - Damian, still kind of crap, but some pretty spectacular fight scenes. Might just be worth it for the fight scenes.
- Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts - Honestly pretty good, all the Batman Unlimited films are. A bit kiddie, but definitely within limits to still be enjoyable for adults. I definitely say give it a watch.
- Justice League: Gods and Monsters - A very good movie, great sort of Elseworlds take. I consider it a must watch.
- Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem - Again, all the Unlimited movies are worth watching.
- Batman: Bad Blood - The only good New 52 Batman movie so far, albeit in a guilty pleasure kind of way.
- Justice League Vs. Teen Titans - Not great, but fun.
- Batman Unlimited: Mechs and Mutants Probably the weakest of the three Unlimited films, but still good.
- Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (no way this isn't a hoot) - At least ten hoots!
- Justice League Dark (I really really REALLY want this one to be good...is it?) - It is. Not REALLY good, but good.
- Teen Titans: The Judas Contract - It isn't the comic book story, but I think it's good.
- Batman Vs. Two Face (more Adam West, so I'm watching this regardless) - You won't be disappointed.
- Scooby-Doo! & Batman: Brave and the Bold (this one I am watching regardless cause I kind of want to experience the silly) - It's good fun. I think it would have been better with an original Batman instead of using the BatB version, but that's just me. It's a blast really.
- Batman: Gotham by Gaslight - Up there with Year One, very good, very fun. But if you are a fan of the comic book just know, the identity of Jack the Ripper is different.
- Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (am I right to assume this is better than the live action Suicide Squad?) - Not as good as Assault on Arkham, but still a fun SS movie.
- Batman Ninja - Hella fun, definitely recommend.
- The Death of Superman - Much, much better than Doomsday.
- Reign of the Supermen - Disappointing when compared next to Death of, but alright. Superboy is great.
- Justice League Vs. The Fatal Five - Meh, but okay.
- Batman Vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (heard it was great) - You heard right!
- Batman: Hush (one of my favorite Batman comics, and was what inspired me to kind of dive into the animated films some more). - Only one I haven't seen yet.

I know that's a huge list, but I'm looking to kind of narrow it down and focus on the ones I would enjoy. So to those more knowledgeable, what say you?

Gave snippets of reviews there, but my top recommendations (in entirely random order):
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League: Gods and Monsters
Batman: Year One
Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
Batman Ninja
Batman Vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Not on your list, and definitely kiddie, but hella fun - Check out JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:25 am

Justice League Dark, Batman/Superman: Apocalypse and Batman: Gotham by Gaslight were surprisingly good on the second list. Batman: Bad Blood is decent as well.

Haven't seen Batman vs. TMNT and Batman: Hush yet, but I want to.

The Killing Joke was the only one on this list I didn't like from the ones I've seen, moreso because of the first 30 minutes. I get that the actual Killing Joke portion of the film wasn't long enough to fit a 75 minute film, but to that, I say they should've just expanded the actual Killing Joke portion rather than the convoluted 30 minute prologue, which everyone agrees was just stupid and completely ruins Batman and Batgirl's character (absolutely no logic in Bruce skreeonking his daughter figure).
My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

GojiDog
Interpol Agent

Postby GojiDog » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:43 am

Thank you all for the recommendations!

Can't wait to start diving into these.

Return to “Media Center”