The Disney Thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Online
User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6922
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:48 am

That image is skreeonking amazing
JAGzilla wrote:Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 am

Some of the negative reviews:

"It hangs together better than the horrid, live-action Aladdin remake that came out in May. But that's not saying much. Most viewers will find this Lion King to be either eye-candy or uncanny valley. There's so little in between."

"The Lion King" is missing something. A purpose, maybe, and a heart."

"The filmmakers take the most memorable moments and characters from the original movie and drain them of everything that gave them life in the first place."

"While there are some great vocal performances, overall this film is such a blatant copy of the 1994 version it seems that team should be officially credited on this movie."

"This entertaining but eventually forgettable remix starts to feel as pointless as the rest of Disney's recent remakes."

"The personality of the original film is nonexistent here. This film is soulless"

"The Lion King" filmmakers and the VFX guys were so preoccupied with whether or not they could make a photorealistic animated remake of a beloved Disney classic, nobody stopped to think whether they should"
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Online
User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10993
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:39 am

Yes. Yes. Let the hate flow within all of you. :twisted:
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:48 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Yes. Yes. Let the hate flow within all of you. :twisted:


I knew you'd be getting off on this
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 6162
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: NewJerseyDevil

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:49 am

Just a gentle reminder that critics were ripping Aladdin too. So this doesn't really mean much. It's still going to make a killing.
Resized Image

Every day, humans come one step closer to self-destruction. I'm not destroying the world, I'm saving it!

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Gigantis
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6884
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Gigantis » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:53 am

Maritonic wrote:Just a gentle reminder that critics were ripping Aladdin too. So this doesn't really mean much. It's still going to make a killing.


still say anywhere from 1- 2 billion is certainly possible
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 6162
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: NewJerseyDevil

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:54 am

tyrantgoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Just a gentle reminder that critics were ripping Aladdin too. So this doesn't really mean much. It's still going to make a killing.


still say anywhere from 1- 2 billion is certainly possible


I agree. Everyone I know is absolutely dying to see it.
Resized Image

Every day, humans come one step closer to self-destruction. I'm not destroying the world, I'm saving it!

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:41 pm
Location: Satellite of Love

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby ScootaVaran » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:07 am

Maritonic wrote:
I agree. Everyone I know is absolutely dying to see it.


Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing it too. I'm at least more interested in seeing this than Aladdin.
Not in theaters of course. It's a Netflix view for me.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

User avatar
Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5587
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 am

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla165 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:09 am

I still don’t know why they didn’t just stick with the methods used in The Jungle Book, but obviously improved with better and newer tech, for The Lion King. In the former film, the animals were realistic looking, yet were still given subtle exaggerated features in their faces in order for them to portray emotion better. Baloo could still grin, Shere Khan could give off an evil and sadistic sneer, and Bagheera could look annoyed or disenchanted by Mowgli’s antics.

They didn’t have to go full on Mowgli as far as facial expressions go, where that movie went too far into cartoonish and jarring territory... But something should have been done to allow these characters, because that’s what they are and not just animals, characters in Lion King to emote and convey real emotion. Instead, we get these lifeless muppets out of the lions, to the point where the song about living a carefree and fun life looks uninteresting and awkward, even when compared to a video of a real lion dubbed over by the song. And then you have Simba, a 500 pound beast of an animal bouncing around like a balloon, compared to the original film where even when Simba was dancing and doing wacky things, he still had a real sense of weightiness to him.

I’m not trying to pan this movie at all, and what the special effects crew managed to achieve is to be seriously commended and praised. But, I honestly have no reason to rush out and see this when neither my wife nor daughters want to see, and would rather spend that Friday evening watching the original movie and sequel. Plus, in 10 years, the animated version will likely still look fantastic, whereas this probably won’t. But, all that being said, this will still obviously blow the bloody socks off the box office.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image


Image

#BotM

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:10 am

Maritonic wrote:Just a gentle reminder that critics were ripping Aladdin too. So this doesn't really mean much. It's still going to make a killing.


No doubt. I've always thought $1.5-$2 billion, no matter the reviews.

Hell the audience scores might be good too like Aladdin
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Online
User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6922
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 am

I just saw a clip of them singing Hakuna Matata.

Man that looks awful. The directing and editing and cinematography was so bland... it was just three animals walking forward for half a minute. And the attempts at making the lion look like he was singing... christ.

This is why you either don't have the animals move their mouths in a talking animal movie (Homeward Bound (still the gold standard for this subgenre)) or use motion capture to add life to the performances at the expense of reality (the Jungle Book).
JAGzilla wrote:Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

User avatar
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6104
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am
Location: AWACS Long Caster
Contact:

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:27 am

I wonder how the whole "Disney is paying for positive reviews" conspiracy is holding out.
Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Physician

goji89 wrote:Guess I'll leave, this place isn't what it used to be.


#Pro-Choice

User avatar
miguelnuva
Sazer
Posts: 13405
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby miguelnuva » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:32 am

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:I wonder how the whole "Disney is paying for positive reviews" conspiracy is holding out.


They paid for negative reviews in order to make it look like they weren't paying for positive ones.
You can put it on my Tombstone Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:47 am

Someone said this over in the MV thread (I think Mr Rockett?) that while they don't pay for positive reviews of obviously if you cross them you may not be given as much access and goodies as a good soldier reviewer might get. Take that for what its worth
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7077
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:54 am

The Lion King will not be a $2 billion dollar film.

1 billion? Maybe? Even that's a bit far out.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice. The Tegu King. We Are Legion.

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:02 am

_JNavs_ wrote:The Lion King will not be a $2 billion dollar film.

1 billion? Maybe? Even that's a bit far out.


Disagree Navie. Lion King is arguably the most beloved Disney animated film ever. I grew up in the mid 90s and it was a huge film. Also some perspective-

Live action Alice in Wonderland- $1 billion box office
Live action Jungle Book- $966 million box office
Live action Aladdin- $923 million box office
Live action Beauty and the Beast- $1.2 billion box office
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7077
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:06 am

Godzilla21 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:The Lion King will not be a $2 billion dollar film.

1 billion? Maybe? Even that's a bit far out.


Disagree Navie. Lion King is arguably the most beloved Disney animated film ever. I grew up in the mid 90s and it was a huge film. Also some perspective-

Live action Alice in Wonderland- $1 billion box office
Live action Jungle Book- $966 million box office
Live action Aladdin- $923 million box office
Live action Beauty and the Beast- $1.2 billion box office

While it is the biggest of the animated films, this one, from what we're hearing at least, does absolutely nothing different to deviate itself from the source material and is a complete reskin of the animated film, except it feels bland, emotionless, soulless and uncanny. As terrible as Aladdin looked, it also looked like it took some high risks, which, seeing that $923m, obviously paid off lol.

I believe we all thought the Pokemon film would make 1-2 Bill, but it only ended up making around 600 Mill right? I know it's different studios, but they're still both beloved animated projects. At least Pokemon had some emotion going for it lol.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice. The Tegu King. We Are Legion.

User avatar
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5789
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzillian » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:08 am

_JNavs_ wrote:The Lion King will not be a $2 billion dollar film.

1 billion? Maybe? Even that's a bit far out.

Lion King is one of their most beloved and well-known movies, your high if you don't think it'll hit a billion. Idk why people on the forum keep trying to predict box offie after KOTM :lol:
Image

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:10 am

_JNavs_ wrote:While it is the biggest of the animated films, this one, from what we're hearing at least, does absolutely nothing different to deviate itself from the source material and is a complete reskin of the animated film, except it feels bland, emotionless, soulless and uncanny. As terrible as Aladdin looked, it also looked like it took some high risks, which, seeing that $923m, obviously paid off lol..


It really doesn't matter what it does. Its a guaranteed success. I say definitely over a billion. Easy
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 6162
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: NewJerseyDevil

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:11 am

Godzilla21 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:While it is the biggest of the animated films, this one, from what we're hearing at least, does absolutely nothing different to deviate itself from the source material and is a complete reskin of the animated film, except it feels bland, emotionless, soulless and uncanny. As terrible as Aladdin looked, it also looked like it took some high risks, which, seeing that $923m, obviously paid off lol..


It really doesn't matter what it does. Its a guaranteed success. I say definitely over a billion. Easy


Easily over a billion. Two might be a stretch, but that'll clearly depend on word of mouth.
Resized Image

Every day, humans come one step closer to self-destruction. I'm not destroying the world, I'm saving it!

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?


Return to “Media Center”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests