The Disney Thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
User avatar
HillyHulk
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby HillyHulk » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:42 am

I don't know how to feel about "The Little Mermaid" casting. For those who don't know, Haile Berry is taking the place of Ariel, who was played by white actress Jodi Benson for the reboot. That's my problem there: Isn't this kind of reverse white-washing? Like, instead of a white actor/actress taking the place of someone of a different race, it's the other way around? If so, that's kind of racist.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6279
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby LegendZilla » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:43 am

Ever since the Ducktales reoot aired its episode revealing the whereabouts of Della Duck, Donald's sister and the mother of his triplet nephews, she has become one of my all-time favorite Disney characters.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:30 am

HillyHulk wrote:I don't know how to feel about "The Little Mermaid" casting. For those who don't know, Haile Berry is taking the place of Ariel, who was played by white actress Jodi Benson for the reboot. That's my problem there: Isn't this kind of reverse white-washing? Like, instead of a white actor/actress taking the place of someone of a different race, it's the other way around? If so, that's kind of racist.


One perspective:

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/notmya ... 1836128376
Last edited by Godzilla21 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
HillyHulk
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby HillyHulk » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Godzilla21 wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:I don't know how to feel about "The Little Mermaid" casting. For those who don't know, Haile Berry is taking the place of Ariel, who was played by white actress Jodi Benson for the reboot. That's my problem there: Isn't this kind of reverse white-washing? Like, instead of a white actor/actress taking the place of someone of a different race, it's the other way around? If so, that's kind of racist.


One perspective:

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/notmya ... 1836128376

Well, one of the tweets have a point: in a country focusing on equality, we should be respectful of all races including Caucasians. As for the last point: because being okay with placing someone of a different race taking the place of a white character (both in the films and original story as far as I looked up (but I could be wrong there)) but not the other way around is hypocritical. Unless it's an animated show/film because the race isn't as important since you don't clearly see the race of a voice actor the way you would a physical actor, neither should be okay.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7077
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:26 pm

"Oh yes, the whites are at it again."

I think I'mma have to stop right there lol. Seems to be a bit of a bias.

Added in 2 minutes 18 seconds:
HillyHulk wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:I don't know how to feel about "The Little Mermaid" casting. For those who don't know, Haile Berry is taking the place of Ariel, who was played by white actress Jodi Benson for the reboot. That's my problem there: Isn't this kind of reverse white-washing? Like, instead of a white actor/actress taking the place of someone of a different race, it's the other way around? If so, that's kind of racist.


One perspective:

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/notmya ... 1836128376

Well, one of the tweets have a point: in a country focusing on equality, we should be respectful of all races including Caucasians. As for the last point: because being okay with placing someone of a different race taking the place of a white character (both in the films and original story as far as I looked up (but I could be wrong there)) but not the other way around is hypocritical. Unless it's an animated show/film because the race isn't as important since you don't clearly see the race of a voice actor the way you would a physical actor, neither should be okay.

I agree with all of this, but that first point is major.

Can't we all just take a step back and get along lol?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice. The Tegu King. We Are Legion.

User avatar
ROMG4
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 am
Location: Monster Island

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby ROMG4 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Look at the bright side

At least they haven't touched the Emperors new Groove and Lio and Sitch

Oh wait, NO-
Image

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10993
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:22 pm

ROMG4 wrote:Look at the bright side

At least they haven't touched the Emperors new Groove and Lio and Sitch

Oh wait, NO-

The latter is inevitable. Just wait for the very nightmare fuel that'll be CGI live-action Stitch. :freak: X_X
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
ROMG4
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 am
Location: Monster Island

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby ROMG4 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:24 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:Look at the bright side

At least they haven't touched the Emperors new Groove and Lio and Sitch

Oh wait, NO-

The latter is inevitable. Just wait for the very nightmare fuel that'll be CGI live-action Stitch. :freak: X_X

NO, NO, NO!

I REJECT this potential timeline, I reject it!

They can't, they won't do it
Last edited by ROMG4 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."

User avatar
KManX89
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1563
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby KManX89 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:42 pm

HillyHulk wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:I don't know how to feel about "The Little Mermaid" casting. For those who don't know, Haile Berry is taking the place of Ariel, who was played by white actress Jodi Benson for the reboot. That's my problem there: Isn't this kind of reverse white-washing? Like, instead of a white actor/actress taking the place of someone of a different race, it's the other way around? If so, that's kind of racist.


One perspective:

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/notmya ... 1836128376

Well, one of the tweets have a point: in a country focusing on equality, we should be respectful of all races including Caucasians. As for the last point: because being okay with placing someone of a different race taking the place of a white character (both in the films and original story as far as I looked up (but I could be wrong there)) but not the other way around is hypocritical. Unless it's an animated show/film because the race isn't as important since you don't clearly see the race of a voice actor the way you would a physical actor, neither should be okay.


Like I said, I personally don't care as I was never interested in it or ANY of the live-action Disney remakes regardless of who was cast (I didn't care about Will Smith as Genie, either, it wasn't on my radar), but the lengths defenders of this move will go to twist anything that isn't gleefully praising them raceswapping a white redheaded character with open arms as being anti-diversity on social media is batshit skreeonking insane (I praised films like Us and Get Out as steps in the right direction for black representation and condemned whitewashing multiple times thankyouverymuch). I've even seen a user's girlfriend who says the animated film is her favorite movie's nostalgia be twisted as "you're nostalgic for characters being white? That's racist!"

No poop Sherlock, if they love the original film, then of course they love the original design, hence the disappointment they MAY have. Same reason why many people couldn't see anyone else playing Wolverine besides Hugh Jackman.

They often say "race isn't important for the character" as a rebuttal, yet we all know they'd lose their poop if Marvel cast Jason Statham as Blade tomorrow, which I'd be on their side. It may not be important to his character, but that doesn't mean a white(washed) actor will capture his mannerisms, charisma, or anything else people have come to know and love about the character played by Wesley Snipes.

The hypocrisy is on both sides: a lot of people who female dog about blackwashing characters defend whitewashing. It flies in the face of their "I just want characters to be faithful to the source material" counterarguments, and it gives the other side ammo to call them racist.

Oh, and yes, I know the original film still exists for fans of the original, but it's not as black and white as these people are claiming.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Lion King sitting at 59% at RT

"A well-rendered but creatively bankrupt self-portrait of a movie studio eating its own tail."
Last edited by Godzilla21 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7077
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby _JNavs_ » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Godzilla21 wrote:Lion King sitting at 59% at RT

"A well-rendered but creatively bankrupt self-portrait of a movie studio eating its own tail."

Oof, now that's a shocker.
Image
Sith Apprentice. The Tegu King. We Are Legion.

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1123
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby GojiDog » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Oh so Lion King is a less-good remake of a movie made 2 and a 1/2 decades ago?

I am like so totally shocked and stuff.

User avatar
Gigantis
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6884
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Gigantis » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:59 pm

OUCH. still think it's gonna make a billion or so and the score can easily change but still.

And somehow people still believe Disney is paying off the critics... how?
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10993
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:31 pm

Godzilla21 wrote:Lion King sitting at 59% at RT

"A well-rendered but creatively bankrupt self-portrait of a movie studio eating its own tail."

Good.

As all things should be. :twisted:

*Crossing fingers it'll get lower*
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:41 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Lion King sitting at 59% at RT

"A well-rendered but creatively bankrupt self-portrait of a movie studio eating its own tail."

Good.

As all things should be. :twisted:

*Crossing fingers it'll get lower*


It probably will. Its already at 90 reviews. Usually goes lower rather than higher after that many reviews
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10993
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:04 pm

Godzilla21 wrote:It probably will. Its already at 90 reviews. Usually goes lower rather than higher after that many reviews

Meanwhile Crawl (2019) sits at 100% with 14 reviews.
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7077
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby _JNavs_ » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:06 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:It probably will. Its already at 90 reviews. Usually goes lower rather than higher after that many reviews

Meanwhile Crawl (2019) sits at 100% with 14 reviews.

The Crawl trailers reminded me of old school Evil Dead.

Plus the theme they've been using? Catchy af.
Image
Sith Apprentice. The Tegu King. We Are Legion.

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 pm

The great Sam Raimi was involved with Crawl so not surprised it has an Evil Dead vibe.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Sazer
Posts: 13405
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby miguelnuva » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Ariel's character being changed to a Black girl is different because she is a mermaid number 1 and number 2 Disney created her. Disney.making her Black now is no different then Togo changing Heisei Godzilla to Godzilla 2000 or even to Shin Godzilla.
You can put it on my Tombstone Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Disney Thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Image
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.


Return to “Media Center”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests