The Disney Thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: The Disney Thread.

Post by LegendZilla »

^Anyone care to guess who they'll cast? I am guessing Micheal Fassbender as Bambi's dad.

Added in 27 days 21 hours 35 minutes 58 seconds:
Breaking News

Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO : https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/26/bob-ige ... ymore.html

Let's just hope his replacement turns out to be more of a people-person.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote:^Anyone care to guess who they'll cast? I am guessing Micheal Fassbender as Bambi's dad.

Breaking News

Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO : https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/26/bob-ige ... ymore.html

The replacement is worse. Say what you want about Iger Star Wars was his only misstep and money wise that did fine.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^Anyone care to guess who they'll cast? I am guessing Micheal Fassbender as Bambi's dad.

Breaking News

The replacement is worse. Say what you want about Iger Star Wars was his only misstep and money wise that did fine.
How do you know who his replacement is?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

Breaking News

How do you know who his replacement is?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.lansin ... 4872263002

Bob Chapek.

Added in 2 days 3 hours 40 minutes 14 seconds:
Mulan might be getting ready to bomb.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range ... eys-mulan/

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

miguelnuva wrote: Mulan might be getting ready to bomb.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range ... eys-mulan/
What a shame. That number would be a lot higher if it weren't for the Coronavirus outbreak (especially in China). It really isnt the film's fault if it underperforms. I'm sure the DVD/Blue-ray or streaming market will help the film make money.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I don't know if it would have been a draw in China anyway. I don't think they would have taken to a Hollywood adaptation of one of thier legends.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I think that Bob Iger was a better Disney boss then Eisner was simply because of how he fixed Einser's mess and, unlike Eisner, left Disney in a FAR better place then when he came into power.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Rhedosaurus wrote:I think that Bob Iger was a better Disney boss then Eisner was simply because of how he fixed Einser's mess and, unlike Eisner, left Disney in a FAR better place then when he came into power.
That's debatable. Iger left with a good chunk of people looking at Disney like it was Satan. At least Eisner didn't do that!
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:I think that Bob Iger was a better Disney boss then Eisner was simply because of how he fixed Einser's mess and, unlike Eisner, left Disney in a FAR better place then when he came into power.
That's debatable. Iger left with a good chunk of people looking at Disney like it was Satan. At least Eisner didn't do that!
Disney to me is like a wife you've been married too. You love her but sometimes you piss each other off.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

tyrantgoji wrote:

Eisner did far worse. After Katzenberg left, Eisner didn't find a replacement and even after Toy Story, abused Lesseter and Pixar in general, to the point where he tried to torpedo Iger's purchase of them after he (Eisner) left.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:

Eisner did far worse. After Katzenberg left, Eisner didn't find a replacement and even after Toy Story, abused Lesseter and Pixar in general, to the point where he tried to torpedo Iger's purchase of them after he (Eisner) left.
Ironic using Lesseter and abuse in the same sentence.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

miguelnuva wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:

Ironic using Lesseter and abuse in the same sentence.
True, but I'm not wrong, though.

Godzilloci
Samurai

Post by Godzilloci »

miguelnuva wrote:I still feel like people like to attack Disney becasue its the fun thing to do. They do a lot of screwed up things like a lot of companies and they also doo good things like other companies. There is usually no good or bad guys in business, the majority are shades of gray.
Anything can be viewed under shades of grey, even the conflict of a genocide, the case of a murder, and what John Lasseter did to those women. That doesn't mean they can't be discussed by reasonable people, or evoke certain emotions that people wish to express. I have plenty of issues with Disney, the least of which is the artificiality of just about all their live action remakes, including the beloved Jungle Book remake, and I appreciate the freedom to bring them up if I feel like it.

On a semi-related note, I just saw the Christopher Robin movie, which feels like it couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be a serious psychological journey or a whimsical fantasy for kids, resulting in a confused mix which couldn't go far enough in either direction. It doesn't help that Christopher is portrayed as this two-dimensional "busy dad" cliche who kind of just goes with the motions of every other example until the film suddenly makes him do something else. I think when a character is properly explored, a busy dad cliche or a doting mom cliche can suddenly be a refreshing experience, which is exactly what a film of psychological catharsis is supposed to do: reveal new things about the person in a revitalizing way. It doesn't work when Christopher is an unrealistic cliche for most of the film.

I also don't understand why they needed to make the dolls real, since that kind of kills the whole point about getting in touch with an expansive, free imagination. I thought it was a genius idea to have Pooh turn Christopher's life into a confusing mess of chaos everywhere he goes, which is what real neuroses are like. But when it turned out that Pooh and the dolls were real (the family can see them despite having no connection with them, and after the girl takes them to the city multiple people start noticing they're alive), the whole message suddenly crashed in. You'd think the more relatable, cathartic, and realistic direction would be to have Pooh and the dolls return back to normal, because now Christopher doesn't need their guidance since he tapped into an innocent, expansive side of himself that can continue moving onward. It would have been more poignant for the girl to receive the dolls, and to build her own relationship with them while they're still toys.
Last edited by Godzilloci on Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The new Mulan looks good, I'll be real. I've never been a Disney fan at all, but the more actiony serious take caught my eye. Oh and Liu Yifei is cute :lol:

Although paying $30 and a toe doesn't sound too appealing. It'll be free in December, ehhh.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Do any of you think that Disney should start to push the character of Della Duck outside the Ducktales reboot? Because let's face it, not everybody is gonna watch it, let alone like it and I think such a great character deserves as much exposure as possible. For example, they should make a her a mainstay of Mickey and the gang.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Oh and Liu Yifei is cute :lol:
She's also a supporter of the oppression and brutality in Hong Kong.

But sure, she's attractive, so all is forgiven. :roll:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

South Park made a good point about a company like Disney kowtowing to totalitarian governments for cash.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

Is she though?

Like, no doubt, she said it and it's not cool.

But is it what she actually BELIEVES or is it what China told her to say with a metaphorical in all but one way gun to her head?

RIP Evan.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

I had no idea she was like that, if it's true. She's pretty and caught my eye from the Mulan previews, that's all man.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Here's Doug Walker's review of the 'Mulan' remake, and if what he has to say (including some amazingly good points about strength and character arcs)is to be believed, it (not too surprisingly) turned out as bad as many predicted it would:

Last edited by Leviarex on Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.