The Disney Thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Disney Thread.

Post by HillyHulk »

I don't know how to feel about "The Little Mermaid" casting. For those who don't know, Haile Berry is taking the place of Ariel, who was played by white actress Jodi Benson for the reboot. That's my problem there: Isn't this kind of reverse white-washing? Like, instead of a white actor/actress taking the place of someone of a different race, it's the other way around? If so, that's kind of racist.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Ever since the Ducktales reoot aired its episode revealing the whereabouts of Della Duck, Donald's sister and the mother of his triplet nephews, she has become one of my all-time favorite Disney characters.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

HillyHulk wrote:I don't know how to feel about "The Little Mermaid" casting. For those who don't know, Haile Berry is taking the place of Ariel, who was played by white actress Jodi Benson for the reboot. That's my problem there: Isn't this kind of reverse white-washing? Like, instead of a white actor/actress taking the place of someone of a different race, it's the other way around? If so, that's kind of racist.
One perspective:

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/notmya ... 1836128376
Last edited by Godzilla21 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Godzilla21 wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:I don't know how to feel about "The Little Mermaid" casting. For those who don't know, Haile Berry is taking the place of Ariel, who was played by white actress Jodi Benson for the reboot. That's my problem there: Isn't this kind of reverse white-washing? Like, instead of a white actor/actress taking the place of someone of a different race, it's the other way around? If so, that's kind of racist.
One perspective:

Well, one of the tweets have a point: in a country focusing on equality, we should be respectful of all races including Caucasians. As for the last point: because being okay with placing someone of a different race taking the place of a white character (both in the films and original story as far as I looked up (but I could be wrong there)) but not the other way around is hypocritical. Unless it's an animated show/film because the race isn't as important since you don't clearly see the race of a voice actor the way you would a physical actor, neither should be okay.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

"Oh yes, the whites are at it again."

I think I'mma have to stop right there lol. Seems to be a bit of a bias.

Added in 2 minutes 18 seconds:
HillyHulk wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
One perspective:

Well, one of the tweets have a point: in a country focusing on equality, we should be respectful of all races including Caucasians. As for the last point: because being okay with placing someone of a different race taking the place of a white character (both in the films and original story as far as I looked up (but I could be wrong there)) but not the other way around is hypocritical. Unless it's an animated show/film because the race isn't as important since you don't clearly see the race of a voice actor the way you would a physical actor, neither should be okay.
I agree with all of this, but that first point is major.

Can't we all just take a step back and get along lol?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Look at the bright side

At least they haven't touched the Emperors new Groove and Lio and Sitch

Oh wait, NO-

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

ROMG4 wrote:Look at the bright side

Oh wait, NO-
The latter is inevitable. Just wait for the very nightmare fuel that'll be CGI live-action Stitch. :freak: X_X

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:Look at the bright side

Oh wait, NO-
The latter is inevitable. Just wait for the very nightmare fuel that'll be CGI live-action Stitch. :freak: X_X
NO, NO, NO!

I REJECT this potential timeline, I reject it!

They can't, they won't do it
Last edited by ROMG4 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

HillyHulk wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
One perspective:

Like I said, I personally don't care as I was never interested in it or ANY of the live-action Disney remakes regardless of who was cast (I didn't care about Will Smith as Genie, either, it wasn't on my radar), but the lengths defenders of this move will go to twist anything that isn't gleefully praising them raceswapping a white redheaded character with open arms as being anti-diversity on social media is batshit fucking insane (I praised films like Us and Get Out as steps in the right direction for black representation and condemned whitewashing multiple times thankyouverymuch). I've even seen a user's girlfriend who says the animated film is her favorite movie's nostalgia be twisted as "you're nostalgic for characters being white? That's racist!"

No shit Sherlock, if they love the original film, then of course they love the original design, hence the disappointment they MAY have. Same reason why many people couldn't see anyone else playing Wolverine besides Hugh Jackman.

They often say "race isn't important for the character" as a rebuttal, yet we all know they'd lose their shit if Marvel cast Jason Statham as Blade tomorrow, which I'd be on their side. It may not be important to his character, but that doesn't mean a white(washed) actor will capture his mannerisms, charisma, or anything else people have come to know and love about the character played by Wesley Snipes.

The hypocrisy is on both sides: a lot of people who bitch about blackwashing characters defend whitewashing. It flies in the face of their "I just want characters to be faithful to the source material" counterarguments, and it gives the other side ammo to call them racist.

Oh, and yes, I know the original film still exists for fans of the original, but it's not as black and white as these people are claiming.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Lion King sitting at 59% at RT

"A well-rendered but creatively bankrupt self-portrait of a movie studio eating its own tail."
Last edited by Godzilla21 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceG92 wrote:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla21 wrote:Lion King sitting at 59% at RT

"A well-rendered but creatively bankrupt self-portrait of a movie studio eating its own tail."
Oof, now that's a shocker.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Oh so Lion King is a less-good remake of a movie made 2 and a 1/2 decades ago?

I am like so totally shocked and stuff.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

OUCH. still think it's gonna make a billion or so and the score can easily change but still.

And somehow people still believe Disney is paying off the critics... how?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Good.

As all things should be. :twisted:

*Crossing fingers it'll get lower*

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

Good.

As all things should be. :twisted:

*Crossing fingers it'll get lower*
It probably will. Its already at 90 reviews. Usually goes lower rather than higher after that many reviews
SpaceG92 wrote:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Godzilla21 wrote:It probably will. Its already at 90 reviews. Usually goes lower rather than higher after that many reviews
Meanwhile Crawl (2019) sits at 100% with 14 reviews.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:It probably will. Its already at 90 reviews. Usually goes lower rather than higher after that many reviews
Meanwhile Crawl (2019) sits at 100% with 14 reviews.
The Crawl trailers reminded me of old school Evil Dead.

Plus the theme they've been using? Catchy af.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

The great Sam Raimi was involved with Crawl so not surprised it has an Evil Dead vibe.
SpaceG92 wrote:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ariel's character being changed to a Black girl is different because she is a mermaid number 1 and number 2 Disney created her. Disney.making her Black now is no different then Togo changing Heisei Godzilla to Godzilla 2000 or even to Shin Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

SpaceG92 wrote: