The Disney Thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: The Disney Thread.

Post by Gigantis »

miguelnuva wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: These films are partially responsible for the disappearance of traditional animation in cinema due to the horrible message they represent to the public: "the animated version is just silly and for kids, now watch it in live action without embarrassment; this version is for big boys and girls!"

They disrespect an entire medium of film, they disrespect those who worked hard to create the originals by plagiarizing their work, and they disrespect their audience by expecting them to buy into this exploitive strategy (and they're proven right time and time again.) And, worst of all, they are helping to ensure traditional animation stays dead, irrelevant, and forgotten.

I'm not taking this too personally. I just see these remakes for what they are.
Disney has never forgotten where they came from. They've always had respect for their past animated films. (Well, maybe not all of them) Disney is not Geoge Lucas who did disrespect all the hard work people put into making his movies.

Your 2d animated movies aren't going anywhere. Trust me.
This statement is ironic considering what Disney did to Star Wars.
never got into Star Wars but all i had to do was see a couple clips of the more recent ones and knew that i dodged a Stink bomb :freak:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: These films are partially responsible for the disappearance of traditional animation in cinema due to the horrible message they represent to the public: "the animated version is just silly and for kids, now watch it in live action without embarrassment; this version is for big boys and girls!"

They disrespect an entire medium of film, they disrespect those who worked hard to create the originals by plagiarizing their work, and they disrespect their audience by expecting them to buy into this exploitive strategy (and they're proven right time and time again.) And, worst of all, they are helping to ensure traditional animation stays dead, irrelevant, and forgotten.

Disney has never forgotten where they came from. They've always had respect for their past animated films. (Well, maybe not all of them) Disney is not Geoge Lucas who did disrespect all the hard work people put into making his movies.

Your 2d animated movies aren't going anywhere. Trust me.
This statement is ironic considering what Disney did to Star Wars.
This lol.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Well that's depressing.

I hate that Disney is being rewarded for this trash heap. Means this won't end any time soon.
Don't you think you're taking all this a little too personally?
They're just movies at the end of the day.
And besides if Disney wanted a "soulless cashgrab" they could have just release the original Lion King in a shiny new blue-ray box. Instead there's a ton of people who had worked tirelessly to make this movie for kids (and adults)that didn't grow up with the original.
These films are partially responsible for the disappearance of traditional animation in cinema due to the horrible message they represent to the public: "the animated version is just silly and for kids, now watch it in live action without embarrassment; this version is for big boys and girls!"

You do realize Disney also made the animated films and a live-action remake is always gonna be mostly the same, if not shot-for-shot right? That's kinda the point of remakes. The 2013 Carrie remake was damn near shot-for-shot of the original except for a grittier prom scene, which was a product of budgetary/technological limitations at the time and a minor sub plot.

Other than that, I agree.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have not looked more forward to the summer ending in my life since September is when Ducktales 2017 returns. Also, anyone watch Amphibia?

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Every few years, we get an unfortunate trend in cinema that is just a blight on everything. This thing gets popular and makes money and for a while becomes critic proof and succeeds regardless of low quality.

In the 80s, it was the constant slasher sequels. Nightmare on Elm Street 1? Great. 2 is a misfire, but 3 was really good! Okay, we're done though, right? NOPE! We got three more to go. By the end of it, Freddy was a shadow of his former self, and the franchise was like a patient on life support that they were desperately trying to keep alive with one dumb idea after another. But they kept making money, so more more MORE! Virtually every horror franchise of the 80s got put through the ringer with sequel after sequel after sequel: Halloween, Friday the 13th, Hellraiser, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and on and on and on. However, this trend was still forgivable to a degree because this was the era where horror was really complemented by amazing practical effects, so amidst all the bad sequels, we still had new and fresh ideas for the genre pop up, and even the remakes were really good (The Fly, The Blob, and The Thing).

In the 90s, it was the disaster movies. Independence Day was a huge hit, and all of a sudden, we got bombarded with these things. Deep Impact, Armageddon, Twister, and so on and so on. By the end of it, I'd pretty much seen every major landmark on Earth get destroyed. Granted, these weren't quite as annoying as some of the other major trends. The movies were kind of bland though.

In the 00s, it was the death of comedy as the parody movies took over. The Scary Movies, followed up by Date Movie, Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, and on and on and on. The few I did see were some of the unfunniest movies I have ever seen in my life, and its damage is still being felt today as classic movie parodies like what Mel Brooks did in the best years of his career no longer exist. But for a while, they were the in thing and they inexplicably made money. Granted they were cheap to make, so they didn't have to make much, but for a while, it kept working for people and I don't get why.

Then by the end of the decade, we saw the rise of Michael Bay's Transformers and Twilight, both of which made tons of money despite critical slashings and even vocal movie goers calling them some of the worst movies ever made. To Twilight's credit, I think the people making those realized that was a fad, so they got those things out there FAST, but for a while there were all these shameless knockoffs of it that were hysterical. When I saw modern and moody romantic takes on Snow White and Red Riding Hood getting released, I almost lost my mind with laughter. But Transformers got trashed by critics entry after entry, but kept working and making money. I remember when I saw Age of Extinction's box office for the opening weekend and my jaw dropped. Transformers sort of started a bunch of trends that we still see in big blockbusters today, which is a whole other thing, but it was a series that was undefeatable for a while and inspired some knockoffs, but we seem to have finally moved past it.

And that brings us to today. What is the blight on cinema today? Well, in a broader sense, it is the sequels and reboots. I swear to God, you couldn't pay me to watch another Alien, Predator, or Terminator film. Those franchises peaked decades ago and I am beyond done. But to be fair, some remakes and sequels and reboots have actually worked for me (Planet of the Apes, the Creed movies, and the Monsterverse). However, for me, in a more specific sense, the worst of the bunch are the live action Disney remakes because god help me, it is the laziest freaking thing I have ever seen in my life.

They are literally just making weaker versions of movies we liked as kids, and cashing in on nostalgia, and it freaking works. I hate to see laziness rewarded, but for right now, Disney is getting away with it. Dumbo didn't do well, and neither did Pete's Dragon (probably the only one of the bunch so far that warranted a remake), but that's because those are the wrong ones to remake for general audiences today. See the 90s kids are going gaga for the ones they experienced as kids (Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, etc.) and the ones with the princesses in them (Cinderella, Maleficent/Sleeping Beauty, etc.). For right now, those movies are guaranteed hits, and I simply don't get it. I guess a large part of it is parents taking their kids to see something they saw as kids, but I'd advise all of those parents to just stay at home and watch the originals with their kids. They get a better experience and you get to spend time with your kids. (SideNote: God I can't wait until I have kids and start showing them Godzilla and the original Transformers animated film, lol). I'm just thankful that my favorite one, The Great Mouse Detective, will NEVER get remade. No money to be made there. It helps to like the underappreciated one sometimes.

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but if something is going to be remade, I'd rather get a different experience from it. You're making Little Mermaid? Make something closer to the original story (LOL!, no way Disney will do that). Want to remake Beauty and the Beast? Instead of remaking the Disney film, why not make something closer to the classic story? Want to remake Aladdin, why not set it in China like the original tale or better yet, why not make an Arabian Night's anthology film that also works in Ali Baba and a couple of other classic stories? Or why not remake some of your previous failures? Remake The Black Cauldron (or Chronicles of Prydain) and see if you can get it right this time. (supposedly they are, but I'll believe it when I see it). I actually kind of like what I've seen from Mulan so far. They aren't banking on nostalgia, but rather making a straight war movie, and that kind of works for me.

My point is, I'd rather see real creativity and effort put into this things, rather than just putting sprinkles on top of yesterday's leftovers and telling me it is a new dish.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GojiDog wrote:I'm just thankful that my favorite one, The Great Mouse Detective, will NEVER get remade.
You, sir, have good taste.

...But also perhaps an underestimation of how far they're going to take this. I foresee a day when they've run out of tentpoles that we get an entire Disney Mouse Cinematic Universe; Sorcerer's Apprentice, a Cinderella spinoff, the Rescuers, and Basil of Baker Street, eventually forming up into one giant, epic crossover movie...

A year ago, I would have been joking. But then they remade Dumbo.

Dumbo.

So I'm not ruling anything out anymore. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

why wouldn't they remake Dumbo? maybe it has fallen to the test of time but it's still one of the most beloved of their classics. it makes sense he's get chosen. To bad the film itself was poop.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Guys picture this.

Live-Action Wreck-It Ralph.

*Cringes in horror*

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

tyrantgoji wrote:why wouldn't they remake Dumbo? maybe it has fallen to the test of time but it's still one of the most beloved of their classics. it makes sense he's get chosen. To bad the film itself was poop.
This. The original is very old and dated (often not in good ways), but still a highly recognizable classic, so it makes sense to give it an update. Now that I think about it, though, it's in sort of an awkward position, though, since circuses (in particular their treatment of elephants) aren't exactly well-looked-upon these days and on the way out. Hmm. Maybe this was a bad idea. I haven't actually seen the Dumbo reboot, yet, so I don't know specifically what was so bad about it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Guys picture this.

*Cringes in horror*
Not happening, Ralphs to new for the LA treatment.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

tyrantgoji wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Guys picture this.

*Cringes in horror*
Not happening, Ralphs to new for the LA treatment.
For now.

Give it 20 years.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

tyrantgoji wrote:why wouldn't they remake Dumbo? maybe it has fallen to the test of time but it's still one of the most beloved of their classics. it makes sense he's get chosen. To bad the film itself was poop.
A reasonable point of view, but of instead of making remakes they could just make original content. They still have fairy tales to make stories out of as well as Marvel, Star Wars (would be cool to have a crossover with The Rebels and the Guardians of the Galaxy) and have clearly not run out of ideas given how many original films they've made.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Well I just finished The Lion King Remake... An as I posted in another thread I haven't been so pissed off and annoyed in a film in a long time.
The effects are fantastic but the fact is they improved on NOTHING other than that.

The musicals are weaker and be prepared to be pissed at ''Be Prepared'', the voice acting minus Mufasa is weaker, each sequence from the Opening, Stampede, Ending was not as good as the animated film. They took any characteristic's the Hyena's had and pretty much threw them out the window and since they were my favorite in the Original that infuriates me to no end. People always say a Remake is never needed but this is def one of those films.. I am sure kids will love it, but those that love and grew up with the Original will probably distaste this and see it as a complete cash grab.

I actually didn't like Aladdin for the same reason's but this is actually worse because The Lion King 2019 is a copy and paste of the Original only not as good most things were shortened, barely nothing new was added. There was absolutely nothing worth appreciating minus the effects. The best part of the score was the cues taken from the Original. I am sorry, if we didn't have the Original the rating might have been different but I don't know.

I am going to give this a 1/10.....an that's where it is going to stay until I revisit it an let this viewing sink in because right now I couldn't fathom giving this any higher.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

JAGzilla wrote:
This. The original is very old and dated (often not in good ways), but still a highly recognizable classic, so it makes sense to give it an update. Now that I think about it, though, it's in sort of an awkward position, though, since circuses (in particular their treatment of elephants) aren't exactly well-looked-upon these days and on the way out. Hmm. Maybe this was a bad idea. I haven't actually seen the Dumbo reboot, yet, so I don't know specifically what was so bad about it.
I didn't mean to imply that the original was not of value, only that it was an... odd choice for the live-action remake treatment (for reasons you mentioned, among others); and to me, especially odd to get a place in line, as it were, ahead of some of the more iconic-in-current-pop-culture/nostalgia entries they could choose. I'm just surprised it would get made ahead of a Snow White, a Pinochio, the Little Mermaid, Mulan, etc.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Well I just finished The Lion King Remake... An as I posted in another thread I haven't been so pissed off and annoyed in a film in a long time.
The effects are fantastic but the fact is they improved on NOTHING other than that.

The musicals are weaker and be prepared to be pissed at ''Be Prepared'', the voice acting minus Mufasa is weaker, each sequence from the Opening, Stampede, Ending was not as good as the animated film. They took any characteristic's the Hyena's had and pretty much threw them out the window and since they were my favorite in the Original that infuriates me to no end. People always say a Remake is never needed but this is def one of those films.. I am sure kids will love it, but those that love and grew up with the Original will probably distaste this and see it as a complete cash grab.

I actually didn't like Aladdin for the same reason's but this is actually worse because The Lion King 2019 is a copy and paste of the Original only not as good most things were shortened, barely nothing new was added. There was absolutely nothing worth appreciating minus the effects. The best part of the score was the cues taken from the Original. I am sorry, if we didn't have the Original the rating might have been different but I don't know.

I am going to give this a 1/10.....an that's where it is going to stay until I revisit it an let this viewing sink in because right now I couldn't fathom giving this any higher.

Yeeeep. I saw this coming from a mile away.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Well I just finished The Lion King Remake... An as I posted in another thread I haven't been so pissed off and annoyed in a film in a long time.

As figured. Just a re-skin of the animated classics as any of these live-action remakes are trying to take advantage to cash-in on nostalgia.

Added in 1 day 3 hours 19 minutes 14 seconds:

Ha ha this is a fair point. Why didn't Mufasa's ghost just tell Simba this when Scar was fake comforting him? :lol:

Also I expected that Scar was gonna kill Simba as I always thought would had been more a more realistic approach to succeeding but otherwise the movie would had been shorter and the villain would have won and in Disney movies that can't happen because the heroes always have to win. :P
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Just finished Lion King, had fun with it. Anyone that says it was a shot for shot remake needs get off what ever drug or alcohol they're on. I enjoyed the orginal more yes but this one was fun in it's own right and will bring new kids and families into the franchise.

All in all go see this even if you wait for Blu ray, it's worth watching in companion to the orginal not one or the other.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

miguelnuva wrote:Just finished Lion King, had fun with it. Anyone that says it was a shot for shot remake needs get off what ever drug or alcohol they're on. I enjoyed the orginal more yes but this one was fun in it's own right and will bring new kids and families into the franchise.

All in all go see this even if you wait for Blu ray, it's worth watching in companion to the orginal not one or the other.
I'm gonna check it out tomorrow. Even if it's a bad movie,it can still qualify as an enjoyable one.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Lion King at 89% audience score. we have another Aladdin on our hands
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Godzilla21 wrote:Lion King at 89% audience score. we have another Aladdin on our hands
honestly, i'd be suprised if someone WASN'T expecting this to happen. granted the thing just came out last night so it can change but i doubt it. Billion dollar hit.