The Disney Thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Disney Thread.

Post by Terasawa »

So the $260 million includes all the separate $30 purchases made by people who bitched and moaned about how bad this movie would be since early 2019, right?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gojira2K wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:If Mulan's reported budget of $200m is accurate, then no it was not a success by any means at $260m.
They were looking at 0 with the film just sitting. The 260 is all going back to Disney and that's just who bought it at the time the article was written. For an experiment on streaming it was a success.

Blu ray and other sales will help most likely.

The 260 is also just in the US.
Not necessarily. If $200 million is just the budget, that's not factoring in the marketing costs, which are probably around the same amount.
Marketing is estimated at being 100m on top of the 200m budget. The 261m number is only from the US, Disney hasn't reported a total number yet.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Fucking idiots actually paid the 30 dollar fee. God damnit.

Now we're going to get more bullshit like this. Watch and wait.

Fuck everyone who paid for this trash.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:skreeonking idiots actually paid the 30 dollar fee. God damnit.

skreeonk everyone who paid for this trash.
Some people like these kinds of films and like watching them with their family. Just because you don't isn't a reason to attack people. As someone who was bullied for liking Godzilla this kind of post is worst than the people encouraging the movies you claim to hate.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

miguelnuva wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:skreeonking idiots actually paid the 30 dollar fee. God damnit.

Some people like these kinds of films and like watching them with their family. Just because you don't isn't a reason to attack people. As someone who was bullied for liking Godzilla this kind of post is worst than the people encouraging the movies you claim to hate.
The reasons he's mad is Disney seemingly willingly took part in human right violations by both getting support from the government district that routinely brutalized citizens in Hong Kong (with the support of the star) and filmed right next to concentration camps for Muslims.

The film itself is NOT the reason people are pissed its making money
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

The reasons he's mad is Disney seemingly willingly took part in human right violations by both getting support from the government district that routinely brutalized citizens in Hong Kong (with the support of the star) and filmed right next to concentration camps for Muslims.

That's bad on Disney yes. His post reads like he's attacking people that paid the $30 for the film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

miguelnuva wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

That's bad on Disney yes. His post reads like he's attacking people that paid the $30 for the film.
Yes.....because by paying $30, you're supporting the awful people Disney worked with.

RIP Evan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

SoggyNoodles gets it. If it were just a bad film in a vacuum... fine, whatever. It'd be like most of the other live action remakes.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Oh great, of course they're making a sequel to the worst of the remakes (still not watching Mulan, like, ever)

Wake me up till Jungle Book and Aladdin 2 get a trailer or something.

EDIT: Okay it's prequel, which is kinda different.. i guess? IDK, if the effects are gonna be the same as the first film (and i guarantee it will be) i'm still not watching it.
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Barry Jenkins directing is at least promising. It not being beholden to an existing movie is another good sign.

IDK, it doesn't sound as bad as the new one. If anything, this is the good kind of "live action" films, stuff that doesn't outright seek to replace the original.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

miguelnuva wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Gigantis wrote:Sheesh i know the film underperformed a ton, but i'm still kinda shocked it isn't making more.
That's a good thing.
That film didn't underperformed. Disney gets all that money for themselves because there was no theater. This was a success.
Yeah like it or not Mulan was a success. The film cost $200M to make. Variety estimated that it's marketing budget was only $50M. Normally event films like this have marketing budgets of $100M-$150M. But it's marketing campaign was reduced due to its lack of a theatrical release. If that above link is accurate then at 9 million subscribers at $30 a pop that would give it $270M via streaming. That puts them in the black of $20M. It grossed $64M overseas and Disney will keep about $26M of that. So they made a profit of about $50M so far.

Of course it's estimated that had it played theatrical it would have grossed over $750M and give Disney a net profit of $375M.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mula ... 234727271/

But for no theatrical release the VOD/$30 rental worked out in the end.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The Octopus wrote: But for no theatrical release the VOD/$30 rental worked out in the end.
And now you can expect most future movies released on streaming services you've already payed for to have fucking ridiculous price tags. All thanks to the morons who made this a success.

I never thought I would have to become a devoted pirate later in life, but here we are.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

The Octopus wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: That's a good thing.
That film didn't underperformed. Disney gets all that money for themselves because there was no theater. This was a success.
Yeah like it or not Mulan was a success. The film cost $200M to make. Variety estimated that it's marketing budget was only $50M. Normally event films like this have marketing budgets of $100M-$150M. But it's marketing campaign was reduced due to its lack of a theatrical release. If that above link is accurate then at 9 million subscribers at $30 a pop that would give it $270M via streaming. That puts them in the black of $20M. It grossed $64M overseas and Disney will keep about $26M of that. So they made a profit of about $50M so far.

Of course it's estimated that had it played theatrical it would have grossed over $750M and give Disney a net profit of $375M.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mula ... 234727271/

But for no theatrical release the VOD/$30 rental worked out in the end.
Actually Mulan didn't make that $260 million. The guy who runs the place where Yahoo got their data saying that Mulan made $260 million, came out and said that Yahoo misinterpreted their data. Based on the data he he presented, it probably made no where near $260 million.

https://www.cbr.com/mulan-disney-plus-e ... naccurate/
Last edited by Gojira2K on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Anybody been keeping up with the DuckTales reboot?

They just did a one hour special on Darkwing Duck that was pretty sweet.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

GojiDog wrote:Anybody been keeping up with the DuckTales reboot?

Saw it. A bit weak in the plot and pacing, but still as an old Darkwing Duck fan I loved it!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

GojiDog wrote:Anybody been keeping up with the DuckTales reboot?

YES, someone talking about this! Won't deny it wasn't as polished as it could have been in the story department, but oooooh was it ever a joyride. I'm really hoping the later half of the third season breaks off into anthology episodes so we can get some exclusively Darkwing Duck adventures. It also looks like they're setting up a new iteration of Quiverwing Quack, which I really hope they deliver on.

Also, some of that episode's animation was extra high quality, much appreciated.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I thought the Darkwing episode worked great as, hopefully, a backdoor pilot to a new show.

It wasn't the tightest story (I could have really done without the FOWL reveal being crammed in) but for introducing Darkwing's world, setting, and characters, it was a blast, and a sign of what a new show could be like.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

GojiDog wrote:I thought the Darkwing episode worked great as, hopefully, a backdoor pilot to a new show.

It wasn't the tightest story (I could have really done without the FOWL reveal being crammed in) but for introducing Darkwing's world, setting, and characters, it was a blast, and a sign of what a new show could be like.
Frankly I'd prefer DW stick to standalone episodes within DuckTales, as opposed to spreading the team thinner by breaking them up to work on two separate shows.

Given that the two Darkwing-centric episodes we've gotten have been pretty close to perfect, personally I don't want to risk an inferior product just so we can have more of it.
Last edited by Gomi: Ninja Monster on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.