The Disney Thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: The Disney Thread.

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I feel like the fear is more what Disney buying up every property and ruling the box office though blockbusters will do to cinema in a CREATIVE monopoly (if you get what I mean) then an actual monopoly.

But yeah, they are far from the biggest problem in the world right now.
Especially given 7 out of 10 (Eight if counting Far From Home) of their films are among the top 10 highest grossing films of last year.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I feel like the fear is more what Disney buying up every property and ruling the box office though blockbusters will do to cinema in a CREATIVE monopoly (if you get what I mean) then an actual monopoly.
That...makes absolutely no sense. A monopoly is the ownership of a product and the means of producing it and acquiring it. Disney does not own movies or the entertainment you get from movies. As long as there are other studios making movies (and believe me, there are), then there is no "creative monopoly". You could easily have seen zero Disney movies last year and still have come out with a wide variety of films to choose from. Disney films make a large portion of the box office sales but that doesn't equate quality or even ownership of the market. McDonald's probably sells more burgers than any restaurant on Earth and yet you don't see anyone going after them for having a monopoly on the hamburger. Just because something is the largest moneymaker of a field doesn't make them the sole owner of that field nor does it mean there isn't a variety to choose from.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
That...makes absolutely no sense. A monopoly is the ownership of a product and the means of producing it and acquiring it. Disney does not own movies or the entertainment you get from movies. As long as there are other studios making movies (and believe me, there are), then there is no "creative monopoly". You could easily have seen zero Disney movies last year and still have come out with a wide variety of films to choose from. Disney films make a large portion of the box office sales but that doesn't equate quality or even ownership of the market. McDonald's probably sells more burgers than any restaurant on Earth and yet you don't see anyone going after them for having a monopoly on the hamburger. Just because something is the largest moneymaker of a field doesn't make them the sole owner of that field nor does it mean there isn't a variety to choose from.
Yeah, no, I think it's bullshit too (the only thing close to it is when Disney execs messing with darker Fox stuff from pre purchase like Jojo Rabbit and The New Mutants out of fear of brand image), just explaining what I think the fear everyone's having is.

Sorry, should have clarified.

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gotcha.

Regarding them futzing with stuff, I didn't see anything about them altering Jojo Rabbit. Just some slight concerns about the subject material from spineless execs. New Mutants though...eh, it's...it's whatever, y'know? After Dark Phoenix does anyone really have any faith in more Fox X-Men stuff? Or can you really blame Disney for trying to change it into something that won't lose them $170m as well? I mean...I guess you can but you know what I mean.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I still feel like people like to attack Disney becasue its the fun thing to do. They do a lot of screwed up things like a lot of companies and they also doo good things like other companies. There is usually no good or bad guys in business, the majority are shades of gray.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

When do you guys predict Disney to become a trillion dollar company?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

LegendZilla wrote:When do you guys predict Disney to become a trillion dollar company?
Not for a while
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Godzilla21 wrote:Not for a while
Hopefully before that they end up crashing. There's only so much they can keep buying out until people begins protesting as how those rebelled against the Roman Empire.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Not for a while
Hopefully before that they end up crashing. There's only so much they can keep buying out until people begins protesting as how those rebelled against the Roman Empire.
Amazing, you found the ONE reason Rome didn't fell apart out of millions of reasons and blamed it for everything. I'm impressed.

RIP Evan.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Here's an idea that came to me several years ago:

With so many disney princesses as certain types/races (mermaid, middle eastern, native american, atlantean, african american etc.), it seems only right that we get a cave girl disney princess inhabiting a prehistoric fantasy world along the same lines as 'One Million Years B.C.', 'When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth', and now 'Primal'.
Last edited by Leviarex on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Godzilla21 wrote:Alphabet
Alphabet owns Google and Youtube right? Yeah thats the 2 biggest sites on the web. (In terms of daily hits).

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

So, this going to annoying the hell out of a lot of people.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ks-1272457

As for me, I can't wait to not give a flying fuck about this.

Edited due my dyslexia and auto correct joining forces against me.
Last edited by kingkevzilla88 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:So, this going to annoying the hell out of all people.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ks-1272457

As for me, I can't wait to not give a flying skreeonk about this.
I'm actually surprised Bambi wasn't one of the first on the to do list.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:So, this going to annoying the hell out of all people.
[url]https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ks-1272457[/url
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I...really don't mind as much? A few of the older Disney movies really suffered a lot in pacing and story structure so maybe this one will actually alter the narrative enough for it to be different. More Jungle Book remake and less Lion King remake.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Oh boy more emotionless expressive CGI animals here we come! Joy!

At least this and The Lion King won't be as bad as once the abomination that will be CGI Stitch comes into existence.

The alligators in Crawl even had more emotion and expression on their faces.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Good grief people. It's their property they can do whatever they want with it.
There's far more pressing matters in the world to worry about than crap like this.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ScootaVaran wrote:Good grief people. It's their property they can do whatever they want with it.
There's far more pressing matters in the world to worry about than crap like this.

I really don't think anyone was denying this..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tyrantgoji wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:Good grief people. It's their property they can do whatever they want with it.

I really don't think anyone was denying this..
Yeah, being annoyed by a set of movies in no way means we think this is a worse situation than, say, the Hong Kong crisis, Trump in power, or Australia burning down.

Not sure where you got this narrative from...
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I dunno, this one might actually benefit from a remake if they go the Jungle Book route. I haven't seen the original in so long I hardly remember it, though, so I'll admit I don't really know what they're working with. I'd be interested in seeing what they'll do in terms of modernizing the whole "Run, Bambi, it's man!" thing, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio