General movies/Hollywood thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
User avatar
kingkevzilla88
G-Grasper
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:15 am
Location: Brigadoon
Contact:

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:04 pm

They're remaking Fight Club with an all female cast!
https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/2019/12/9006240/bella-thorne-chick-fight-club-with-women

Rule one about Right Club, you don't remake Fight Club!

All joking aside, remaking such an iconic movie with any cast is f#@&ing stupid idea. Just because they charge the genders of the characters doesn't make it any better.

On the subject of pointless remakes, The Dirty Dozen is getting one now.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/david-ayer-dirty-dozen-remake-1203439997/

I was bashing Netflix the other, but thanks to them and Amazon Prime i have alternatives and can watch movies that don't suck. I ain't joking, about more than half that movies I've seen this year have been on those platforms. Good, fun movies that aren't just one more in a string of horrible reboots & remakes and 90 minutes lectures about why men suck.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:40 pm

kingkevzilla88 wrote:They're remaking Fight Club with an all female cast!



No they're not.

Literally the first line of the article is they're making a female action comedy LIKE Fight Club.

Not a remake, or a sequel. Just a regular film some grubby article jerk decided to call a remake for those precious clickbait clicks.
Image

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.


fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?


Ravioli, Ravioli for me, someone put Sharknado in the motherfucking KWCE.

User avatar
kingkevzilla88
G-Grasper
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:15 am
Location: Brigadoon
Contact:

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:42 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:They're remaking Fight Club with an all female cast!



No they're not.

Literally the first line of the article is they're making a female action comedy LIKE Fight Club.

Not a remake, or a sequel. Just a regular film some grubby article jerk decided to call a remake for those precious clickbait clicks.


Well, bugger me then. I can't believe I fell for that, but in my defence would you be surprised if they tried to remake Fight Club. I mean they've already remade so many films, that some are getting there second remake.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11912
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby eabaker » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:18 am

kingkevzilla88 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:They're remaking Fight Club with an all female cast!



No they're not.

Literally the first line of the article is they're making a female action comedy LIKE Fight Club.

Not a remake, or a sequel. Just a regular film some grubby article jerk decided to call a remake for those precious clickbait clicks.


Well, bugger me then. I can't believe I fell for that, but in my defence would you be surprised if they tried to remake Fight Club. I mean they've already remade so many films, that some are getting there second remake.


Heck, they've done Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 32 times... Although some of those were... rather loose. ;)

The 9th is my favorite, but the 6th and the 10th have some very dedicated fans as well.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Fish Cakes
Interpol Agent
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:28 am
Location: Vague SF Bay Area

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Fish Cakes » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:35 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:They're remaking Fight Club with an all female cast!



No they're not.

Literally the first line of the article is they're making a female action comedy LIKE Fight Club.

Not a remake, or a sequel. Just a regular film some grubby article jerk decided to call a remake for those precious clickbait clicks.

Imagine being mad about and linking to an article you didn't even bother to read yourself. What a foolish thing that'd be to do.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10029
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Fight Club is a stupid movie to begin with.

Added in 7 minutes 15 seconds:
I love how people skreeonk about Hollywood. It's a business. Its job is to make money. Every other business on Earth gets a free pass a lot of times for doing the same kind of poop but somehow Hollywood doesn't.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image
Image

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby KManX89 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:40 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:They're remaking Fight Club with an all female cast!



No they're not.

Literally the first line of the article is they're making a female action comedy LIKE Fight Club.

Not a remake, or a sequel. Just a regular film some grubby article jerk decided to call a remake for those precious clickbait clicks.


Exactly, it's as much a gender-swapped remake of Fight Club as Anna is a remake of Red Sparrow. :lol:
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 6351
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:59 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Fight Club is a stupid movie to begin with.

Added in 7 minutes 15 seconds:
I love how people skreeonk about Hollywood. It's a business. Its job is to make money. Every other business on Earth gets a free pass a lot of times for doing the same kind of poop but somehow Hollywood doesn't.


Probably because Hollywood is also producing works of art that, whether you like it or not, can play a role in shaping the public perception of political and social topics. To be motivated purely by money without any thought towards the messages your products might be sending gets you garbage like the Mulan remake, a movie that panders to a totalitarian dictatorship that currently practicing cultural genocide as we speak.

That's obviously an extreme example, but my point still stands. The need to make money should never undermine the responsibility movies have in regards to their influence on the masses. Movies – and by extension pop culture – play a very important role in shaping our society.

That's why people (or at least I) skreeonk about Hollywood.
JAGzilla wrote:Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:03 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I love how people skreeonk about Hollywood. It's a business. Its job is to make money. Every other business on Earth gets a free pass a lot of times for doing the same kind of poop but somehow Hollywood doesn't.


Probably because Hollywood is also producing works of art that, whether you like it or not, can play a role in shaping the public perception of political and social topics. To be motivated purely by money without any thought towards the messages your products might be sending gets you garbage like the Mulan remake, a movie that panders to a totalitarian dictatorship that currently practicing cultural genocide as we speak.

That's obviously an extreme example, but my point still stands. The need to make money should never undermine the responsibility movies have in regards to their influence on the masses. Movies – and by extension pop culture – play a very important role in shaping our society.

That's why people (or at least I) skreeonk about Hollywood.


"The trouble with movies as a business is that it's an art, and the trouble with movies as art is that it's a business." - Charlton Heston.
Image

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.


fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?


Ravioli, Ravioli for me, someone put Sharknado in the motherfucking KWCE.

User avatar
Shhh! The Octopus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 993
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:06 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Fight Club is a stupid movie to begin with.

Added in 7 minutes 15 seconds:
I love how people skreeonk about Hollywood. It's a business. Its job is to make money. Every other business on Earth gets a free pass a lot of times for doing the same kind of poop but somehow Hollywood doesn't.


Probably because Hollywood is also producing works of art that, whether you like it or not, can play a role in shaping the public perception of political and social topics. To be motivated purely by money without any thought towards the messages your products might be sending gets you garbage like the Mulan remake, a movie that panders to a totalitarian dictatorship that currently practicing cultural genocide as we speak.

That's obviously an extreme example, but my point still stands. The need to make money should never undermine the responsibility movies have in regards to their influence on the masses. Movies – and by extension pop culture – play a very important role in shaping our society.

That's why people (or at least I) skreeonk about Hollywood.


I dont think movies are that powerful. And I don't think filmmakers should go out of their way to have a moral responsiblity to the masses.
Last edited by Shhh! The Octopus on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11912
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby eabaker » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:06 pm

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Fight Club is a stupid movie to begin with.

Added in 7 minutes 15 seconds:
I love how people skreeonk about Hollywood. It's a business. Its job is to make money. Every other business on Earth gets a free pass a lot of times for doing the same kind of poop but somehow Hollywood doesn't.


Probably because Hollywood is also producing works of art that, whether you like it or not, can play a role in shaping the public perception of political and social topics. To be motivated purely by money without any thought towards the messages your products might be sending gets you garbage like the Mulan remake, a movie that panders to a totalitarian dictatorship that currently practicing cultural genocide as we speak.

That's obviously an extreme example, but my point still stands. The need to make money should never undermine the responsibility movies have in regards to their influence on the masses. Movies – and by extension pop culture – play a very important role in shaping our society.

That's why people (or at least I) skreeonk about Hollywood.


I dont think movies are that powerful. And I don't think filmmakers should go out of their way to have a moral responsiblity to the masses.


And individual movie is not. Common trends in entertainment, though, across platforms and across time, can be as powerful (or insidious) as in any other form of mass thought and communication. Popular culture is a part of culture as a whole, and all those parts impact one another.

And one doesn't go out of one's way to have a responsibility. One simply it. Having a powerful voice, having access to people's eyes and ears, inherently brings with it a responsibility.

Every time you open your mouth, or type words other people will read, you have a responsibility to consider the impact your words and ideas will have.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 7652
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:46 pm

I think it’s very interesting that 2019 heralded the temporary end of major hype cycles, with the end of GOT, Star Wars and Avengers. Obviously the MCU is going on still, but I think these gargantuan hype cycles just popped and I’m curious what the future holds. Certainly there is now a “power vacuum” for something new and exciting to come along.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
G-Grasper
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:18 am

Ricky Gervais really torched Hollywood last night.

Judd Apatow also ripped Hollywood, this time in The New Yorker via their relationship with China.

Judd Apatow, the filmmaker and comedian, told me that Americans intended to introduce freedom to China, but instead traded it for Chinese money. “I think it happened very slowly and insidiously,” he said. “You would not see a major film company or studio make a movie that has story lines which are critical of countries with major markets or investors. The question becomes: what’s the result of all of this? The result is, there are a million or more Muslims in reëducation camps in China, and you don’t really hear much about it.”

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby KManX89 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:04 pm

New Expendables Christmas spin-off movie in the works.

YES! Hopefully they've learned their lesson from the Expendables 3 debacle.

And bring back Bruce Willis, it's a Christmas movie!
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"


Return to “Media Center”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests