General movies/Hollywood thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8129
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:13 pm



Oof. $8 million what a disaster
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Terasawa » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:46 pm

It looked awful, but did anyone actually see any advertising for it aside from the trailer on YouTube?
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby KManX89 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:47 pm



...To the shock of no one.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Rhedosaurus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:18 am

Terasawa wrote:It looked awful, but did anyone actually see any advertising for it aside from the trailer on YouTube?


I didn't see any.


Godzilla21 wrote:


Oof. $8 million what a disaster



KManX89 wrote:...To the shock of no one.



Yeah. And now she's pulling a Paul Feig and blaming sexism for the reason why is bombed.

You know what they say nowadays.

GET WOKE. GO BROKE.

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8129
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:23 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Terasawa wrote:It looked awful, but did anyone actually see any advertising for it aside from the trailer on YouTube?


I didn't see any.


Godzilla21 wrote:


Oof. $8 million what a disaster



KManX89 wrote:...To the shock of no one.



Yeah. And now she's pulling a Paul Feig and blaming sexism for the reason why is bombed.

You know what they say nowadays.

GET WOKE. GO BROKE.


You can't really blame sexism. Women didn't exactly rush out to her movie either and they account for 50% of the population of this country.

The real reason is the trailers looked like crap.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Rhedosaurus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:25 am

Godzilla21 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Terasawa wrote:It looked awful, but did anyone actually see any advertising for it aside from the trailer on YouTube?


I didn't see any.


Godzilla21 wrote:
Oof. $8 million what a disaster



KManX89 wrote:...To the shock of no one.



Yeah. And now she's pulling a Paul Feig and blaming sexism for the reason why is bombed.

You know what they say nowadays.

GET WOKE. GO BROKE.


You can't really blame sexism. Women didn't exactly rush out to her movie either and they account for 50% of the population of this country.

The real reason is the trailers looked like crap.


The and she doesn't explain why the first Tomb Raider movie, the first 2 Alien movies, or the first 2 Terminator movies did well when they had strong female characters as well.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Terasawa » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:29 am

Not that you’re wrong, but your examples are all movies that are decades old.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8129
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 am

Terasawa wrote:Not that you’re wrong, but your examples are all movies that are decades old.


The fact that they are decades old only proves that men have always been able to accept strong female characters and as long as the film is good, they will go see it. Wonder Woman was just a few years ago and was a big success for DC.

The fact is this movie looked like crap. The reviews weren't good either. So those are the main contributors. Again, women make up 50% of this country and they didn't come out for the film either. A little unfair to blame men especially when the film specifically targets the female demographic. Banks is way off here and looking for a scapegoat since she produced, starred, and directed this thing.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Terasawa » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:12 am

Godzilla21 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Not that you’re wrong, but your examples are all movies that are decades old.


The fact that they are decades old only proves that men have always been able to accept strong female characters and as long as the film is good, they will go see it. Wonder Woman was just a few years ago and was a big success for DC.


Did you read the article that was posted?

The 'Hunger Games' star seemed to dismiss the box office success of 'Captain Marvel,' the Brie Larson-led Marvel film that earned USD 1.1 billion worldwide earlier this year, as well as 'Wonder Woman,' which grossed USD 821 million in 2017, because they belonged to a "male genre."

"They'll go and see a comic book movie with Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel because that's a male genre," Banks explained.

"So even though those are movies about women, they put them in the context of feeding the larger comic book world, so it's all about, yes, you're watching a Wonder Woman movie but we're setting up three other characters or we're setting up 'Justice League.'"


She has a point, although I don't totally agree with her. I'm not saying sexism killed this movie. As I said earlier, there was almost zero promotion for this movie, and the people that did see the trailers all seemed to agree it looked awful. I think both of those reasons are why it failed.

My point, to Rhedosaurus, was that there's no reason for Banks to explain the success of 30-year old movies when she's talking about today. Those movies are so old in terms of today's Hollywood that there's no reason to use them as a barometer for success for a movie made and released in 2019. But because he brought them up, let's look at them in comparison to her film. As she states in the article, "we need more women's voices supported with money because that's the power." She's saying there can and should be more films produced, directed, written by, and starring women. (She's ostensibly talking about action movies, but her comments are true for almost any successful genre today.) The Terminators and Aliens had women in strong roles usually essayed by men, but they were still made by men. Regarding the Terminator movies, Schwarzenegger was still the star anyway, even if Linda Hamilton had big roles in the first two entries.

Anyway, as I said, I think she's wrong to blame sexism on the movie's failure. But she does have some valid points that should be considered.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8129
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Godzilla21 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:52 am

Terasawa wrote:
She has a point, although I don't totally agree with her. I'm not saying sexism killed this movie. As I said earlier, there was almost zero promotion for this movie, and the people that did see the trailers all seemed to agree it looked awful. I think both of those reasons are why it failed.


Don't really agree with her point. Terminator Dark Fate is a "male" genre and with strong females characters but it tanked too. It's really about the trailers and the buzz/reviews that makes a film. "Male" genre or not if a film looks good it rises to the top and speaks for itself. WW was actually a good movie (despite a flawed third act and villain) with good buzz & reviews.

Terasawa wrote:My point, to Rhedosaurus, was that there's no reason for Banks to explain the success of 30-year old movies when she's talking about today. Those movies are so old in terms of today's Hollywood that there's no reason to use them as a barometer for success for a movie made and released in 2019.


How is it not relevant? She specifically said men "don't go see women do action movies" which is categorically wrong. History has proven that they do. Do men hate women more now than in the 1980s when Aliens and Terminator came out? Usually when someone makes a statement that is incorrect you can draw on past precedence to prove them wrong and thats whats happening here. And they aren't really "that old", the Tomb Raider, Alien, & Terminator franchises all have films made in the last 3 years!! They are still celebrated every few years with Blu Ray reissues, and acknowledged as still some of the greatest action movies ever made. You can't just dismiss them as "old".

Terasawa wrote:But because he brought them up, let's look at them in comparison to her film. As she states in the article, "we need more women's voices supported with money because that's the power." She's saying there can and should be more films produced, directed, written by, and starring women. (She's ostensibly talking about action movies, but her comments are true for almost any successful genre today.) The Terminators and Aliens had women in strong roles usually essayed by men, but they were still made by men. Regarding the Terminator movies, Schwarzenegger was still the star anyway, even if Linda Hamilton had big roles in the first two entries.


She wants more women supported with money? Well she was a woman handed $50 million to make a movie produced, written, directed, and starring a woman. And it tanked. I am totally fine with more female representation in film production, but it's unbecoming to point fingers at someone for the film failing when you haven't taken a hard look in the mirror at what YOU produced with $50 million.

Terasawa wrote:Anyway, as I said, I think she's wrong to blame sexism on the movie's failure.


Correct
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Terasawa » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:32 am

Godzilla21 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:My point, to Rhedosaurus, was that there's no reason for Banks to explain the success of 30-year old movies when she's talking about today. Those movies are so old in terms of today's Hollywood that there's no reason to use them as a barometer for success for a movie made and released in 2019.


How is it not relevant?


Because we, and Banks, are talking about movies made today, not movies made 30 years ago. Historically, the western has been one of Hollywood's most profitable and successful genres, but there are very few made today. If a western was made today and flopped, I wouldn't point to movies made long ago, in a very different Hollywood, as precedent; I would try to compare it to the successes and failures of more recent films of the same genre first.

I have to plead some ignorance here though because I haven't seen any of the Terminator movies this decade, nor Alien: Covenant (and I hardly remember Prometheus, although I didn't like it). I've never seen any of the Tomb Raider movies either and my knowledge of that franchise is pretty limited. That said, I don't think Rhedosaurus was primarily talking about the most recent iterations of those franchises but rather the early films, which as you noted are classics. If he was referring to the most recent Alien or Terminator movies then I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong and somewhat in over my head, but ultimately my point was that the most popular entries in those series (made in the '80s and '90s) aren't the most relevant comparisons to this new Angels. Would you say that's fair? (Actually, the best examples would probably be the two superhero movies she dismisses as belonging to the "male genre," Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel. But if I were arguing this with her, I'd try to find other recent and successful female-driven actioners to disprove her point instead.)

I mean, I'm not really disagreeing with you. I think this movie probably bombed because of a lack of advertising, with most of the (little) pre-release buzz being bad. However, I also think there are probably better and more relevant examples of female-centric action movies than movies made in the '80s and '90s. As I mentioned, Banks talks about more than just "action movies starring women," and I think she has a point that some of the appeal of Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel was that they were entries in established and successful film franchises. Is she to blame for the movie flopping? I haven't seen it (and I don't want to), but I'd guess probably so. It's a cop-out to blame sexism, and I agree that it's unbecoming, but we shouldn't dismiss her point about needing more female representation behind the camera just because she's very much wrong about why her movie flopped.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby KManX89 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:11 am

Terasawa wrote:Not that you’re wrong, but your examples are all movies that are decades old.


You want more recent examples? The Pirates of the Caribbean films, Underworld movies, live-action Resident Evil movies, the Hunger Games movies, Mad Max: Fury Road, Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, all more recent movies with strong female leads that did fairly well at the box office.

The Charlie's Angels and GhostBusters reboots flopped because they were poop, plain and simple.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2383
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am

Male main characters with a prominent but still supporting female character, we've already gone over Banks's problems with the superhero flicks, and shes talking about box office which the rest of the list is too small to compare to the films shes describing.


I'm not saying it's a dumb argument (it is, IMO) but to act like shes bullshiting a fake reason why it failed is UTTERLY wrong
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby KManX89 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Trump's DOJ might overturn Paramount Decree that'll allow studios to buy theaters.

The orange idiot strikes again.

Like I needed any more reason to despise Trump AKA Donnie Dumb Dumb. Seriously, is there anything this moron WON'T ruin for everyone else? First he wants to ruin gaming by jacking up prices of next-gen consoles with his stupid tariffs and now he wants to ruin the film industry for everyone else.

Her emails, though.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Rhedosaurus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:42 am

Here's in interesting article about the Sony hack 5 years ago.

I still say North Korea did it, mainly because Kim Jong Un is eccentric enough to do it. The article also brings up the possibility of the Russians. My main problem with that is that Putin is too much of a 'big game hunter' who's focuses on the big things to pick on a struggling movie company that he could care less about.

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby KManX89 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:01 pm

Speaking of "muh feminism", I've noticed the Black Christmas remake has a review embargo up. Of all the movies coming out this weekend, it's the only one that doesn't have a RT score as of this writing, and it's only 2 days out from its release.

Why do I have the feeling this movie's gonna suck balls? Everything about this movie screams trainwreck.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2474
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Titan

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby tyrantgoji » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:12 pm

KManX89 wrote:Speaking of "muh feminism", I've noticed the Black Christmas remake has a review embargo up. Of all the movies coming out this weekend, it's the only one that doesn't have a RT score as of this writing, and it's only 2 days out from its release.

Why do I have the feeling this movie's gonna suck balls? Everything about this movie screams trainwreck.


I completely forgot that film was even coming out until a promo came out just an hour ago! Still can't be worse than the last Black Christmas remake right?

...Right?

User avatar
Julia Bristow
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2534
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:36 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Postby Julia Bristow » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:29 am

Looks like that Warner Brothers's AKIRA live action film is on hold:

Warner Bros. has once again put plans to make a live-action version of the classic anime film “Akira” on hold, removing it from their release slate and giving its summer 2021 release spot to the untitled fourth installment of “The Matrix.”

“Matrix 4” will now be released on May 21, 2021, with original stars Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss returning along with co-creator Lana Wachowski. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Jessica Henwick, and Neil Patrick Harris will also star in the film, with Abdul-Mateen and Henwick playing lead roles.

Warner Bros. first acquired the rights to adapt “Akira” back in 2002, but the project has been in development hell ever since. “Thor: Ragnarok” and “Jojo Rabbit” director Taika Waititi had been set to start production on the film this summer, but put plans on hold in order to direct a sequel to “Ragnarok.” That sequel, “Thor: Love and Thunder,” was announced at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con for release by Marvel Studios on November 5, 2021.

....



www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-removes-aki ... -matrix-4/
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO


Return to “Media Center”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests