General movies/Hollywood thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:We already had a decent killer cat story, Tales from the Darkside: The Movie. I mean its got Buster Poindexter as a mob hitman!
Lord that segment is delightful!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

This is sure to turn some heads, Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek to be R-rated.

WTF man? As someone who wholeheartedly believes that some franchises should not be anything less than R (Alien, Predator, RoboCop,Terminator, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, The Thing, etc.), this is BS. Films should have a point and purpose for being R-rated, not be edgy just for the sake of edgy. Star Trek was never a fucking R-rated franchise. How Paramount greenlit this shit is beyond me. Do they suddenly not care about $$$? If I was Paramount, I'd say fuck no and find a new director.

Then again, this IS the same studio who thought making a PG-13 zombie movie (!) was a stellar idea. As somebody who harped on them for it back then, it'd be hypocritical of me to praise them now.
Last edited by KManX89 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KManX89 wrote:How Paramount greenlit this shit is beyond me.
They haven't given it the green light. Hell, Tarantino hasn't even seen the script yet!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd be up for an R Rated zombie Star Wars flick.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

eabaker wrote:
KManX89 wrote:How Paramount greenlit this poop is beyond me.
They haven't given it the green light. Hell, Tarantino hasn't even seen the script yet!
https://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-ta ... 202222161/
The film will most certainly go where no Star Trek has gone before: Tarantino has required it to be R rated, and Paramount and Abrams agreed to that condition.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KManX89 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
KManX89 wrote:How Paramount greenlit this poop is beyond me.
https://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-ta ... 202222161/
The film will most certainly go where no Star Trek has gone before: Tarantino has required it to be R rated, and Paramount and Abrams agreed to that condition.
That year-and-a-half-old article in no way contradicts what I said, which was based on the much more recent article you'd already posted.

A writer was hired to work on a script that Tarantino would like to (but has not been officially contracted to) direct. If this project happens, and if Tarantino directs, Tarantino wants it to be R-rated.

None of this constitutes a studio giving the green light to a production.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Christopher Nolan's spy film, Tenet will reportedly have a production budget of around $220.

A $225 mil production budget on a completely original concept with no A-listers? It better be something truly ground-breaking then.

And of course a Nolan film stars the Batman himself (Robert Pattinson). Which BTW, he read the script and says it's epic, so maybe, just maybe, it's worth the risk?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I really wish that adaption of Jeff Rovin's Fatalis starring Sylvester Stallone was true...

We need a good killer saber-toothed cat flick. Those two SyFy Originals don't count.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

And Hollywood racewashing continues, only this time, Disney cast a black chick to play Ariel in the live action My Little Mermaid movie: a chick by the name of Halle Bailey (not Halle Berry).

I see a lot of the same back and forth schtick on other forums: fans of the original movie complaining about her being racewashed with another group calling them racist and only condemning the move because a black chick was cast in a film, basically putting words in their mouth.

AKA the same heated argument EVERY time a white character is race/genderwashed. It's the same shit with Fant4shit and GhostBusters 2016, calling their detractors racist/sexist which BTW, the guys at RLM thoroughly debunked in the case of the latter:

I was never gonna see the film in the first place, but it's always interesting to see a good old fashioned flame/racewar.
*grabs popcorn*

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KManX89 wrote:but it's always interesting to see a good old fashioned flame/racewar.
*grabs popcorn*
Well, then. That was enlightening.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Maritonic wrote:
KManX89 wrote:but it's always interesting to see a good old fashioned flame/racewar.
*grabs popcorn*
I get it, them staying true to the source material is a big deal for some people, scratch that, a lot of people. Ariel was surely many guy's first sexual crush when they were young, so I can see why they'd want the, to keep her the way she was before.
Spoiler:
They probably jerked off to her many times as kids.
But nope, apparently that makes you raycest!
Last edited by KManX89 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KManX89 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
*grabs popcorn*
I get it, them staying true to the source material is a big deal for some people, scratch that, a lot of people. Ariel was surely many guy's first sexual crush when they were young, so I can see why they'd want to keep her the way she was before.
Spoiler:
lmao dude I don't care what race a mythological fish/fishperson is.

I was commenting on the "racewar" comment.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Seems like most famous Red Heads in Cinema are normally race-bent to African American as of recent.

Really wish MJ, Starfire and Ariel were Redheads, since they're much more uncommon on the silver screen.

I had a massive crush on them as a kid, I won't lie lol.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The answer is simple. Red hair dye! :P

Now everyone is happy.
Last edited by Spuro on Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

KManX89 wrote:And Hollywood racewashing continues, only this time, Disney cast a black chick to play Ariel in the live action My Little Mermaid movie: a chick by the name of Halle Bailey (not Halle Berry).

They're just trying desperately to make another Captain Marvel-style hit.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

KManX89 wrote:And Hollywood racewashing continues, only this time, Disney cast a black chick to play Ariel in the live action My Little Mermaid movie: a chick by the name of Halle Bailey (not Halle Berry).
Next thing you know it the live-action Pinocchio movie will be removing Jiminey Cricket because they want Pinocchio to be independent and prove himself on his own as a real boy!
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

I get it, them staying true to the source material is a big deal for some people, scratch that, a lot of people.
If they really wanted the movie to stay true to the source material, then everytime Ariel takes a step in her new legs, it'd feels like getting sliced open by razors. And the prince ends up marrying someone else. And have Ariel's sisters encourage her to assassinate the prince in his sleep to get her tail back. And have Ariel dying and dissolving into seafoam.

Like the original story intended.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Considering the majority of people on this site grew up with films with primarily Asian/Japanese actors, I’m surprised anyone on this site actually thinks diversity/“racewashing” :) in movies is a serious issue.

Is it intentional that after a very racist history, with up until the mid 2000’s the majority of Disney characters were very clean white chracters that the company would want to diversify its cast? Probably. And while you can be cynical about the business side of things, complaining that Ariel isn’t white just makes you look like an Idiot. You’re free to go back and watch the original film as many times as you want. God forbid Little black girls have a character to look up to and like. And while I’m unfamiliar with the actress, the photos of her look charming and she looks like she has the same bright smile and charisma as Ariel.

And while not being conspiratorial, I doubt many of the people online complaining about the racial swap actually had any care or desire to go see the film in theaters; most likely you’re the same cretins that consistently complain and swear that you’re boycotting Disney for some other arbitrary reason.

Just gonna leave this photo of Nikki Minaj here for good measure:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Maritonic wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I get it, them staying true to the source material is a big deal for some people, scratch that, a lot of people. Ariel was surely many guy's first sexual crush when they were young, so I can see why they'd want to keep her the way she was before.
Spoiler:
lmao dude I don't care what race a mythological fish/fishperson is.

I was commenting on the "racewar" comment.
I was throwing shade at all the forum bickering about the Ariel raceswap with that last line in case you haven't noticed.
MikeSTZillak wrote:

They're just trying desperately to make another Captain Marvel-style hit.
Clearly people DO care, hence all the online bickering, and maybe offline as well.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: with up until the mid 2000’s
Eh, I'd say it started in the 90s. Aladdin, Mulan, and Pocahantis (despite the, erm... problems with the latter) all starred a cast of non-white characters. And there was Lilo and Stitch in the early 2000s.

And that picture of her... I was joking about the red hair dye, lol. Well now you guys have no excuse, you got yer redhead. :P
Last edited by Spuro on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.