General movies/Hollywood thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

They're remaking Fight Club with an all female cast!
https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/2019/1 ... with-women

Rule one about Right Club, you don't remake Fight Club!

All joking aside, remaking such an iconic movie with any cast is f#@&ing stupid idea. Just because they charge the genders of the characters doesn't make it any better.

On the subject of pointless remakes, The Dirty Dozen is getting one now.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/davi ... 203439997/

I was bashing Netflix the other, but thanks to them and Amazon Prime i have alternatives and can watch movies that don't suck. I ain't joking, about more than half that movies I've seen this year have been on those platforms. Good, fun movies that aren't just one more in a string of horrible reboots & remakes and 90 minutes lectures about why men suck.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:They're remaking Fight Club with an all female cast!

No they're not.

Literally the first line of the article is they're making a female action comedy LIKE Fight Club.

Not a remake, or a sequel. Just a regular film some grubby article jerk decided to call a remake for those precious clickbait clicks.

RIP Evan.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

No they're not.

Literally the first line of the article is they're making a female action comedy LIKE Fight Club.

Not a remake, or a sequel. Just a regular film some grubby article jerk decided to call a remake for those precious clickbait clicks.
Well, bugger me then. I can't believe I fell for that, but in my defence would you be surprised if they tried to remake Fight Club. I mean they've already remade so many films, that some are getting there second remake.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

No they're not.

Well, bugger me then. I can't believe I fell for that, but in my defence would you be surprised if they tried to remake Fight Club. I mean they've already remade so many films, that some are getting there second remake.
Heck, they've done Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 32 times... Although some of those were... rather loose. ;)

The 9th is my favorite, but the 6th and the 10th have some very dedicated fans as well.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

No they're not.

Imagine being mad about and linking to an article you didn't even bother to read yourself. What a foolish thing that'd be to do.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Fight Club is a stupid movie to begin with.

Added in 7 minutes 15 seconds:
I love how people bitch about Hollywood. It's a business. Its job is to make money. Every other business on Earth gets a free pass a lot of times for doing the same kind of shit but somehow Hollywood doesn't.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

No they're not.

Exactly, it's as much a gender-swapped remake of Fight Club as Anna is a remake of Red Sparrow. :lol:
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Fight Club is a stupid movie to begin with.

I love how people skreeonk about Hollywood. It's a business. Its job is to make money. Every other business on Earth gets a free pass a lot of times for doing the same kind of poop but somehow Hollywood doesn't.
Probably because Hollywood is also producing works of art that, whether you like it or not, can play a role in shaping the public perception of political and social topics. To be motivated purely by money without any thought towards the messages your products might be sending gets you garbage like the Mulan remake, a movie that panders to a totalitarian dictatorship that currently practicing cultural genocide as we speak.

That's obviously an extreme example, but my point still stands. The need to make money should never undermine the responsibility movies have in regards to their influence on the masses. Movies – and by extension pop culture – play a very important role in shaping our society.

That's why people (or at least I) bitch about Hollywood.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: I love how people skreeonk about Hollywood. It's a business. Its job is to make money. Every other business on Earth gets a free pass a lot of times for doing the same kind of poop but somehow Hollywood doesn't.
Probably because Hollywood is also producing works of art that, whether you like it or not, can play a role in shaping the public perception of political and social topics. To be motivated purely by money without any thought towards the messages your products might be sending gets you garbage like the Mulan remake, a movie that panders to a totalitarian dictatorship that currently practicing cultural genocide as we speak.

That's obviously an extreme example, but my point still stands. The need to make money should never undermine the responsibility movies have in regards to their influence on the masses. Movies – and by extension pop culture – play a very important role in shaping our society.

That's why people (or at least I) skreeonk about Hollywood.
"The trouble with movies as a business is that it's an art, and the trouble with movies as art is that it's a business." - Charlton Heston.

RIP Evan.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

I love how people skreeonk about Hollywood. It's a business. Its job is to make money. Every other business on Earth gets a free pass a lot of times for doing the same kind of poop but somehow Hollywood doesn't.

I dont think movies are that powerful. And I don't think filmmakers should go out of their way to have a moral responsiblity to the masses.
Last edited by The Octopus on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

I dont think movies are that powerful. And I don't think filmmakers should go out of their way to have a moral responsiblity to the masses.
And individual movie is not. Common trends in entertainment, though, across platforms and across time, can be as powerful (or insidious) as in any other form of mass thought and communication. Popular culture is a part of culture as a whole, and all those parts impact one another.

And one doesn't go out of one's way to have a responsibility. One simply it. Having a powerful voice, having access to people's eyes and ears, inherently brings with it a responsibility.

Every time you open your mouth, or type words other people will read, you have a responsibility to consider the impact your words and ideas will have.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think it’s very interesting that 2019 heralded the temporary end of major hype cycles, with the end of GOT, Star Wars and Avengers. Obviously the MCU is going on still, but I think these gargantuan hype cycles just popped and I’m curious what the future holds. Certainly there is now a “power vacuum” for something new and exciting to come along.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Ricky Gervais really torched Hollywood last night.

Judd Apatow also ripped Hollywood, this time in The New Yorker via their relationship with China.
Judd Apatow, the filmmaker and comedian, told me that Americans intended to introduce freedom to China, but instead traded it for Chinese money. “I think it happened very slowly and insidiously,” he said. “You would not see a major film company or studio make a movie that has story lines which are critical of countries with major markets or investors. The question becomes: what’s the result of all of this? The result is, there are a million or more Muslims in reëducation camps in China, and you don’t really hear much about it.”

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

New Expendables Christmas spin-off movie in the works.

YES! Hopefully they've learned their lesson from the Expendables 3 debacle.

And bring back Bruce Willis, it's a Christmas movie!
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

https://collider.com/powerpuff-girls-li ... -berlanti/

A live-action Powerpuff Girls reboot is coming to the CW, because 2020 can not be stop!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:https://collider.com/powerpuff-girls-li ... -berlanti/

A live-action Powerpuff Girls reboot is coming to the CW, because 2020 can not be stop!
Oh great the CW at it again...

The girls are gonna look creepy as poop.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

We are definitely shifting into a completely altered cinematic landscape.

2019 did see the culmination of Marvel, Game of Thrones, and Star Wars. For better or worse.

Joker came out and was basically the victim of a media smear campaign, and audiences said 'screw you, we want a good movie'....and the film soared to well over $1 Billion and took home Oscars. An R-rated crime drama released in October out-grossed Star Wars Episode 9. If that isn't a sign of the shifting times, I don't know what is.

Audiences eschewed the big franchise CGI extravaganza while embracing craft....showing that you don't need hundreds of millions of dollars to create an 'event', that a movie of modest scope but huge ambition can climb to great heights as well.

We also saw audiences reject a certain type of film harder than ever. Star Wars Episode 9 made the least of the Disney Trilogy and seemed to please nobody by trying to somehow please everyone.

Charlie's Angels reboot - Flop
Terminator: Dark Fate - Flop
Birds of Prey - Flop

And just as Joker was sort of labeled as 'dangerous' by the media, the 3 films listed above were championed as worthwhile, that people who didn't like them or support them were somehow sexist.

There used to be a weight to critics throwing praise at a movie. There used to be weight when the various movie sites would hype up and sing the praises of certain films. It used to be fairly effective in forging the opinion of viewers.

But somewhere along the lines people stopped giving a crap about what people who saw the films for free thought. They started trusting YouTube personalities who paid to see the movie....not the people who had fears of their press credentials being revoked, or were worried about not being invited to premieres and free screenings or set visits if they didn't "play ball" with the studios. The Access Media has been completely eschewed in the last few years.

The "journalists" are no longer the taste-makers they likely fancied themselves to be. Studios don't need any kind of support or cohesion with the Access Media. They can go around them, and give the fans what they want, and be rewarded for it.

Somewhere along the lines SOME studio execs started to see the "fans" for what they were, loyal customers. Calling customers names does not forge a positive dynamic. You want them to WANT to give you money in exchange for getting the product they desire.

Ice cream shops sell ice cream. If they started calling their customers fat slobs and switched to some kind of all vegan menu...their sales would tank and people would hate them.

The fans wanted Sonic to be re-designed. Certain Access Media types said that it was 'caving in to toxic fandom' and what happened? They changed it, the fans were happy, and the film made bank.

The Access Media was telling fans to shut up about The Snyder Cut because it "doesn't exist", the Snyder Cut fans raised money for suicide awareness/prevention and yet the Snyder cut being green-list was again labeled as a "victory for toxic fandom". Yes, total culture crisis because people want the better version of a flop from 2017.

If the hype and buzz from the trailer is any indicator, then the Snyder Cut is going to do wonders for HBO Max.

I imagine the REAL Ghostbusters sequel being made is going to receive a much warmer reception than the 2016 trash fire.

And NOW the shutdowns have taken a huge, nasty toll on a lot of Hollywood Studios in a big bad way....which might be the only silver lining in all of this....that Hollywood is going to be given a permanent black eye from 2020 and is going to have to start earning their paychecks instead of just expecting it.

Studios won't be able to afford to churn out flop after flop in the name of this agenda or that agenda. The whole "demonizing the fans" thing is going to have to be done. The Studios will want money and they are going to have to play ball and earn it.

We're hearing all kinds of reports that Kennedy will not have her contract at Lucasfilm renewed in 2021, and that there are pushes being made to restore Star Wars to a quality more in line with the original trilogy, and to try and erase or make up for the Disney Trilogy in some fashion.

There is going to be a big, massive difference between the kind of cinematic climate we had in 2019 and the kind of cinematic climate we will see in 2021. It started to shift in late 2019 and early 2020, and then the shut-downs created a big crater in the industry...and 2021 is going to see things shifted in a way that I believe is going to be for the better.

Hollywood being put into a position of weakness where they have to really fight for money because they are going to want as much of it as quickly as possible....that could end up being a very very good thing for cinema as a whole.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

eabaker wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

And individual movie is not. Common trends in entertainment, though, across platforms and across time, can be as powerful (or insidious) as in any other form of mass thought and communication. Popular culture is a part of culture as a whole, and all those parts impact one another.

And one doesn't go out of one's way to have a responsibility. One simply it. Having a powerful voice, having access to people's eyes and ears, inherently brings with it a responsibility.

Every time you open your mouth, or type words other people will read, you have a responsibility to consider the impact your words and ideas will have.
Yeah remember Revenge of the Nerds one of the nerds slept with one of the jocks girlfriends under the false pretense he was her boyfriend and she's like okay with it but in reality that would be date rape? You can argue that back then people already didn't realize that was as big a deal till more recent decades to begin with, but the fact the movie plays it as if it's nothing wrong just reinforces that mentality that it wasn't so bad, and I doubt it was the only one of that decade to do so.

You have a toxic mentality in society, it gets put in films that shows it as not being bad, and that sends the message that it's not bad back to society, it's like a feedback loop till someone breaks the cycle with some critical thinking and says "wait a minuet that's actually pretty fucked up."
Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:

Yeah remember Revenge of the Nerds one of the nerds slept with one of the jocks girlfriends under the false pretense he was her boyfriend and she's like okay with it but in reality that would be date rape? You can argue that back then people already didn't realize that was as big a deal till more recent decades to begin with, but the fact the movie plays it as if it's nothing wrong just reinforces that mentality that it wasn't so bad, and I doubt it was the only one of that decade to do so.

You have a toxic mentality in society, it gets put in films that shows it as not being bad, and that sends the message that it's not bad back to society, it's like a feedback loop till someone breaks the cycle with some critical thinking and says "wait a minuet that's actually pretty fucked up."

Oh, yeah, 80s teen sex comedies were full of guys behaving in really gross, inappropriate ways - things that we wouldn't hesitate to label as assault these days. And I can vouch (admittedly just anecdotally, from my own social circles over the years) that those prevalent attitudes informed how people my age thought and talked about sex growing up.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/x-fil ... 234583225/

An animated comedy based on the X Files is happening, from the people that made Paradise PD.

Is it too late to start using Hollywood as nuclear test site?