Movies or TV shows you want to see happen?

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Movies or TV shows you want to see happen?

Post by eabaker »

KManX89 wrote:Of all the horror movie franchises to get a TV show (Scream, The Purge, The Mist, Hannibal, etc.), A Nightmare on Elm Street has some sick untapped potential that I can't understand for the life of me why it hasn't gotten one yet.
Freddie's Nightmares
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

eabaker wrote:
KManX89 wrote:Of all the horror movie franchises to get a TV show (Scream, The Purge, The Mist, Hannibal, etc.), A Nightmare on Elm Street has some sick untapped potential that I can't understand for the life of me why it hasn't gotten one yet.
Freddie's Nightmares
Oh right, almost forgot about that one. :lol:

That's just an anthology series full of self-contained stories, though. I mean an episodic TV series where Freddy plays a major role and makes direct appearances and such.
Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I feel like A Nightmare on Elm Street in general, has utterly untapped potential due to the nightmare world plot device. I feel like the darkness, psychological, psychosexual, body horror and all manners of macabre insanity and twisted things could be explored in the nightmares of the characters....it has untapped potential.

Okay
Dragonheart high budget remake

The Chronicles of Narnia faithfully adapted into a film series(in chronological order)

Gantz faithfully adapted into anime with A-list animation quality

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings - I think we're still about 10 years too early for this talk to even happen, but when it DOES...I think doing it Beowulf style would be awesome. Animation like that would lend itself WELL to the insane fantasy world of LOTR....or ANY insane fantasy world.

Guillermo Del Toro's At The Mountains of Madness

An Animated Trilogy or Animated Mini-Series based on George Lucas' Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Story Treatments

David Fincher's Alien 3 - I know he is very unhappy with the film and would have to full-out remake it to really make it his. Still, with Mimic Guillermo Del Toro recut the movie and delivered the version he was 'most happy with' based on the material available. I would like to see David Fincher revisit the materials and sort of re-cut or reforge it in a manner that he is at least the most happy with or the LEAST unhappy with.

Sin City - Either as a film series or a TV series, I would like to see those works fully and consistently adapted to the screen. Even as some sort of hyper-stylized animated series, it could be really cool. Lay it all out chronologically and adapt the graphic novels and the shorts.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know, just for the skreoonk of it.

Why not?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

A cryptic/cryptid universe with none of the usual suspects, so instead of Bigfoot, Nessie, and the Abominable Snowman they do films of Spring-heeled Jack, The Mad Gasser of Mattoon, the Bunny Man, Sheepsquatch, and so on. A whole slew of crazy urban legend monsters and killers you usually never see or hear of in this kind of thing.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

A Mortal Kombat HBO series.

A Darkwing Duck reboot and a whole shared universe of rebooted Disney Afternoon shows after Ducktales 2017 is over

A Street Fighter live-action TV show

More good Dinosaur movies from Hollywood other than Jurassic Park/World

An Animated Power Rangers series that incorporates elements of the franchise's original Japanese source material

A modern-day live-action Hollywood Superman film that succeeds both critically and financially

A film that gives photorealistic CGI (i.e the Final Fantasy movies) a second chance

A animated Godzilla series done by Genndy Tartakovsky
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

A ninjas vs dinosaurs movie.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

LegendZilla wrote:A Mortal Kombat HBO series.

More good Dinosaur movies from Hollywood other than Jurassic Park/World

An Animated Power Rangers series that incorporates elements of the franchise's original Japanese source material

A modern-day live-action Hollywood Superman film that succeeds both critically and financially

A film that gives photorealistic CGI (i.e the Final Fantasy movies) a second chance

A animated Godzilla series done by Genndy Tartakovsky
I like the sound of all of those!

----It is a weird oddity that the Jurassic films basically monopolized the dinosaur genre. You either get the Jurassic films, or you get straight to DVD/TV cheap-o knock-off movies...or the odd King Kong or Land of the Lost or Journey to the Center of the Earth, pot-shot stuff. An A-list blockbuster that is an outright Dinosaur movie that was fresh and cool and had the dinosaurs as the central plot point....we pretty much never get them.

-----I feel like the 2017 Power Rangers, all things considered, did QUITE a good job at turning the "Live action cartoon" style of the property into something that worked quite well as a 'real movie' for what it was made for. I think the suits were a little 'over-designed' and could have gone for a more pure and simple, faithful type of design. It was always an uphill battle....and doing it as some sort of animation/anime could be a great way to execute that tone and bridge it into something that works even better.

Very interested in seeing where the Hasbro reboot goes. I hope they don't muck it up. You've got all kinds of commercial opportunities. Young attractive leads, monsters, robots, cool armor.

-----I have been dying for something to be the "Next Beowulf" SINCE the first Beowulf came out. That movie was very visually engaging. It has been 13 years since that film...another film trying to do what that film did could be a visual marvel. We've had amazingly impressive CGI in Avatar and the Planet of the Apes films since then, but nothing in the all-CGI realm. I can't wait to see the giant leaps made in Avatar 2 next year.

I sincerely think that long-term, superhero, fantasy, and sci-fi films will be more effective to be done in that all-CGI style. I think 10-20 years down the road when The Lord of the Rings is re-adapted...the Beowulf style is the way to go. You cut out global productions, you cut out all of the physical production...you aren't worrying about scale and forced perspective, models, sets, etc....I mean, LOTR was made in a realm where a lot of practical effects and solutions were incorporated with CGI. The Hobbit Trilogy pretty much felt like the entire thing was CGI except for the actors.

You look at a film like Endgame, and darn-near the whole thing is CGI EXCEPT the cast. Sections that you never thought were all green-screen ARE all green-screen. Heck, even multiple main characters(Rocket, Hulk, Thanos) are completely CGI. So...it is not much of a leap beyond that to just 'do it all in the computer' from there.

It honestly would save a lot. In a world where "star power" almost isn't even a thing any more, you don't need to pay RDJ a huge paycheck and give him a massive slice of the revenue. You can hire an excellent voice actor or any affordable talent...and then design the character however you want. Even if the character is re-cast, in a CGI world the character can continue to look EXACTLY the same, and simply be voiced/performed by a new actor...so even 're-casting' isn't as detrimental.

No more actors or actresses who have to 'look the part' and have the perfect superhero physique. Things like age, race, height, fitness....all of that are irrelevant in an all CGI world. Every character can be an absolute image of physical perfection, looking like they came right off the page.

----Genndy Tartakovksy tackling ANYTHING Kaiju related, Godzilla, Gamera or otherwise....2D or 3D animation, film or series, would be amazing. He would hit it out of the park.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Chrispy_G wrote: -----I have been dying for something to be the "Next Beowulf" SINCE the first Beowulf came out. That movie was very visually engaging. It has been 13 years since that film...another film trying to do what that film did could be a visual marvel. We've had amazingly impressive CGI in Avatar and the Planet of the Apes films since then, but nothing in the all-CGI realm.

There's your all-CGI movie.
I sincerely think that long-term, superhero, fantasy, and sci-fi films will be more effective to be done in that all-CGI style. I think 10-20 years down the road when The Lord of the Rings is re-adapted...the Beowulf style is the way to go. You cut out global productions, you cut out all of the physical production...you aren't worrying about scale and forced perspective, models, sets, etc....I mean, LOTR was made in a realm where a lot of practical effects and solutions were incorporated with CGI. The Hobbit Trilogy pretty much felt like the entire thing was CGI except for the actors.

You look at a film like Endgame, and darn-near the whole thing is CGI EXCEPT the cast. Sections that you never thought were all green-screen ARE all green-screen. Heck, even multiple main characters(Rocket, Hulk, Thanos) are completely CGI. So...it is not much of a leap beyond that to just 'do it all in the computer' from there.
First: An all-CGI movie is not remotely cost effective. The Lion King remake had a budget of 250-260 million. By and large practical effects are a cheaper alternative. They're just not as "easy" to do well.

Second: Speaking as someone who's kind of disgusted by all the green screen in the Marvel films (not even normal, earthly backgrounds are real! Stuff you could easily do on location!), your premise sounds like a worst case scenerio and the death of high-concept sci-fi and fantasy films. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd feel that way.

Third: What you are describing is an animated movie. I'm all for more animated movies that challenge the norm of what animated films are capable of. Give me an animated fantasy epic! Go for it! But don't make it photo-realistic CGI because then what's the point? That was the problem everyone had with the Lion King remake: the original's simpler animation style allows for FAR more dynamic and interesting characters, designs, and visuals. If you're going to make a big budget animated fantasy epic, go right ahead, but photo-realism will only hinder you. Take full advantage of animation's strengths. Find an interesting and unique art style. Maybe give 2D or stop motion animation a try instead of over-saturated 3D animation. Try blending different animation styles together, as Spiderverse and Klaus did.[/quote]
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote: -----I have been dying for something to be the "Next Beowulf" SINCE the first Beowulf came out. That movie was very visually engaging. It has been 13 years since that film...another film trying to do what that film did could be a visual marvel. We've had amazingly impressive CGI in Avatar and the Planet of the Apes films since then, but nothing in the all-CGI realm.

There's your all-CGI movie.

First: An all-CGI movie is not remotely cost effective. The Lion King remake had a budget of 250-260 million. By and large practical effects are a cheaper alternative. They're just not as "easy" to do well.

Second: Speaking as someone who's kind of disgusted by all the green screen in the Marvel films (not even normal, earthly backgrounds are real! Stuff you could easily do on location!), your premise sounds like a worst case scenerio and the death of high-concept sci-fi and fantasy films. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd feel that way.

Third: What you are describing is an animated movie. I'm all for more animated movies that challenge the norm of what animated films are capable of. Give me an animated fantasy epic! Go for it! But don't make it photo-realistic CGI because then what's the point? That was the problem everyone had with the Lion King remake: the original's simpler animation style allows for FAR more dynamic and interesting characters, designs, and visuals. If you're going to make a big budget animated fantasy epic, go right ahead, but photo-realism will only hinder you. Take full advantage of animation's strengths. Find an interesting and unique art style. Maybe give 2D or stop motion animation a try instead of over-saturated 3D animation. Try blending different animation styles together, as Spiderverse and Klaus did.
[/quote]

Yes, The Lion King is an all-CGI photo-real movie, but being animals-only...it exists in a bit of a different spot than something with human/humanoid characters going for the same thing. Yes, it was extremely costly because they were trying to push as far as possible with the photo-realism while still trying to keep it as a musical.

And I don't believe every entry needs to be striving for photo-realism. I think Tintin was a fine example of using CGI to make a movie that sort of crafted a bit of new terrain. It didn't feel overtly cartoony...but it clearly wasn't going for a photo-real look.

It doesn't NEED to be either "as photo-real as possible" OR "total cartoon", it doesn't have to be "Beowulf or Toy Story"....I think there is a LOT of fertile ground in between to explore a different tier. These all CGI films don't have to somehow conform into a weird "PG animated family movie" feel. I would love to get "animation" that is comfortably in the PG-13 realm, and has a realistic animation style without HAVING to look photo-real.

Thanos works better in the frame with an all CGI Hulk or fully CGI suited Iron Man than he does in the frame with Thor or a human actor....as a CGI creation he works, but the minute he is face to face with a flesh-and-blood actor it starts to lessen his reality. If the whole thing were CGI you would at least have visual consistency even if you were going for a semi-stylized "hyper real" look and not stressing the photo-realism.

I'm not saying EVERY event movie and blockbuster needs to go an all CGI route. I absolutely love the Nolan's of the world who are still going for practical spectacle on as big of a scale as possible...and when he uses CGI he has it rendered well over the 2K standard(5-8K I've heard) that most films still render CGI at. Heck, even movies that are boasting about filming in 4K and having 4K Digital Intermediates are still having CGI shots scanned and rendered in 2K to save money. Cameron is going completely 4K for the Avatar sequels and the results should be dazzling.

But as I said, when we are getting into films like Endgame, where the only real thing is a few of the sets and most of the characters...you're playing in a pseudo-real CGI world 95% of the time, might as well experiment with going the extra 5%.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Eh, I'd hate it personally if we just gave up on live action in those genres and just did it all in a computer. At some point, you'd kind of lose the soul of movie making.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'll admit although I came up with this as an Lost Tapes episode idea, I feel it does have more potential in being an movie.

An PG-13 creature feature flick on the Almas only think Abominable (2019) and Cliffhanger or any other action/adventure movie as an family/friendship/emotional and action/adventure flick regarding an young Canadian traveler hiking through the Caucasus Mountains only to discover an very strange and young girl who seems completely lost, scared, wounded and hairy. As the two becomes the most unlikeliest of friends, they're pursued by corrupt Russian soldiers who wants her for some reason only to their fortune, that her family members deals with them whose hunting and combat methods despite primitive proves to be effective.

In the emotional and heartwarming ending would be after said soldiers are dealt with, the main character tells the young Almas girl he'll never forget about her and that its better for her and her family to remain seclusive knowing if ever discovered by the world, they'd never be left alone as she returns to them. The Almas family being intelligent enough to sense and distinguish who are good (Young Canadian traveler) and bad people (Corrupt Russian soldiers) spares him for having kept her safe and protecting her and the film ending with the characters narration where its an experience he'll never forget having made the most unlikely friend and keeping it to himself to ensure their safety though he comments like anyone would believe him anyways.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:30 am, edited 8 times in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Gimme that damn big-budget CGI Gamera reboot already!

Seriously, that teaser trailer looked so good, who wouldn't see this opening night, even with masks:?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ Well since you (rhetorically) asked, I would go see it during the morning on a weekday to avoid the crowd.

Even before the pandemic I didn’t usually go to “premieres” of movies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

KManX89 wrote:Gimme that damn big-budget CGI Gamera reboot already!

Seriously, that teaser trailer looked so good, who wouldn't see this opening night, even with masks:?
The GA obviously because nowadays they're too used to anything that isn't superheroes or Disney.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

*Pinky and the Brain: The Movie. Tagline: "You will believe two mice can take over the world."

*A Tim Burton-directed Dinosaurs Attack! film done in the same style as Mars Attacks! (c'mon, Tim, you know you want to do it and we, the fans know you want to do it! Please don't let us down!)
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
KManX89 wrote:Gimme that damn big-budget CGI Gamera reboot already!

The GA obviously because nowadays they're too used to anything that isn't superheroes or Disney.
Sadly, that trailer was released back in 2015 and it still hasn't even resumed production yet (its production was stopped before the pandemic). Safe to say it's not happening at this point. I don't know if it's even been filmed at all apart from that proof-of-concept teaser.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

KManX89 wrote:Sadly, that trailer was released back in 2015 and it still hasn't even resumed production yet (its production was stopped before the pandemic).
What production? No film was in production, it was just a test for what could've been a new Gamera movie, Kadokawa was just testing waters.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

tyrantgoji wrote:What production? No film was in production, it was just a test for what could've been a new Gamera movie, Kadokawa was just testing waters.
What a waste of animation (Especially Gamera's design which I really liked)...Why bother making it then if it isn't going to be a movie?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:What production? No film was in production, it was just a test for what could've been a new Gamera movie, Kadokawa was just testing waters.
What a waste of animation (Especially Gamera's design which I really liked)...Why bother making it then if it isn't going to be a movie?
Like tyrant said, test if people were interested in a Gamera movie and to have SOMETHING for the 50th anniversary.

RIP Evan.