Best & Worst movies of 2019

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Re: Best & Worst movies of 2019

Postby GojiDog » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:43 pm

Top Ten Favorites of 2019 (so far):
1) Dolemite Is My Name = The Disaster Artist tried to be this generation's Ed Wood, but didn't quite live up to that. This one hit it out of the park. I love movies about how movies got made, so it had that charm and intrigue to it. Plus, it was just great to see Eddie Murphy be entertaining again and interacting with a great cast.
2) Joker = This film took me by surprise. Phoenix's performance is worthy of praise and it was refreshing to see a comic book film that delved into the psyche of the character rather than focus on spectacle. I loved the way the film looked and I was engaged all the way through.
3) The Lighthouse = Want to see two men cooped up together and go completely insane? Then this is the movie for you! It was beautifully shot and takes full advantage of being in black and white, and the intensity between the two characters builds throughout the film. It also gets so weird that I'm sure I won't be forgetting it any time soon.
4) Marriage Story = The performances by the two leads Scarlett Johnhansen and especially Adam Driver add alot to the film. However, it is a very hard movie to watch given the tense situations and discussions, but if you can handle the uncomfortable nature of a film like this, then it is truly great.
5) The Irishman = Not Scorsese's best, but still better than most. I loved the story and the time just flew by while watching. Between this and Joker, it was also nice to see DeNiro actually try again. Also, I love watching Joe Pesci and Al Pacino.
6) Klaus = My favorite animated film of the year was this Christmas gem on Netflix. I am always on the look out for Christmas movies to watch, but after Arthur Christmas, it felt like we've been a little light on good holiday films. Last year, Netflix came through with Christmas Chronicles, which was fun and cute, but this was even better. Great animation, a tone that manages to be both whimsical and creepy, and at its core is a wonderful tale of friendship that is perfect for Christmas time.
7) Once Upon a Time In Hollywood = Thank you Tarantino! You came through again. Great stuff, with the dialogue and style you expect from Tarantino.
8) Godzilla: King of the Monsters = I mean...I'm a lifelong fan...duh.
9) John Wick 3: Parabellum = Not as good as the other two, but has some amazingly well crafted action set pieces and made me excited for the next entry.
10) Rambo: Last Blood = I am also a lifelong Rambo fan, sue me.

Still need to see Dr. Sleep, Uncut Gems, and Yesterday, so we'll see how that impacts my list once I've seen them.

Top Ten Worst of 2019:

1) Aladdin = Painful
2) The Lion King = Good Lord help me
3) Lady and the Tramp = I hate the Disney remakes. Have I made that clear?
4) ) X-Men: Dark Phoenix = What a sad ending to 20 years of X-Men films. This was a trainwreck all around.
5) It Chapter 2 = I was really disappointed in this. I hoped they'd fix some of the issues with the book, but I think they made it worse. Throughout the whole movie, I couldn't tell if they were trying to be scary and failed or trying to be funny...and also failed. And I could not believe that we once again ended with a giant spider...except somehow dumber. There are two scenes that worked well, and everything else just fell short for me.
6) Brightburn = Awesome premise...so-so execution. It loses major points for not living up to its potential.
7) Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark = Being a fan of the books, I wanted to see this, but this felt like a run of the mill horror movie with the old stories used as window dressing to hide that it had nothing interesting to do.
8) Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker = In a way, it is the best comedy of 2019, but that was not the intent, lol. It is so bombastically stupid, I couldn't help but laugh at it, but as "The End of the Skywalker Saga", it fell way short.
9) Captain Marvel = Just..bland. The most bland MCU film to date.
10) Toy Story 4 = Not bad...just completely unnecessary after Toy Story 3.

kingkevzilla88
JXSDF Technician

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:21 am

The good:
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters
Shazam
Dolemite Is My Name!
Nightshooters
The Joker
Alita: Battle Angel
The Dirt
Triple Threat
Upgrade
Lords Of Chaos
Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Iron Fists and Kung Fu Kicks
Avengement
Giant Killer Ants
Shaft(2019)
Ready Or Not
Rambo: Last Blood
Boar
The Golem
Avengers: Endgame
Dragged Across Concrete
Point Blank (2019)
The Wind
Hole In The Ground
Spider-man: Far From Home
Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich
All The Devils Are Here
Eil

The bad:
3 From Hell (starts off strong, but falls just after the half way point and becomes pointless.)
In The Tall Grass
Velvet Buzzsaw
Charlie Says
Pet Sematary
leprechaun returns
Discarnate
Cold Pursuit
Crocodylus
Incoming
The Silence
Doom: Annihilation
Godzilla: planet eater
White Space
The Trick or Treat Picture Show
Char Man
Pigster
Five Must Die
Last edited by kingkevzilla88 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Got some last-minute watches in before the new year (even though I'm making this post three days late), but couldn't get everything so I'm gonna have to do my Top 5 Best & Worst without them.

Excellent
Jojo Rabbit

Great
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Joker
Rocketman

Good
Captain Marvel
Fighting With My Family
Missing Link
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
It: Chapter Two

Okay
Godzilla: The Planet Eater
Toy Story 4
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Bad
Hellboy
The Lion King
Gemini Man

Watch List:
Shazam!
Hobbs & Shaw
Ford vs. Ferrari
The Lighthouse
Knives Out
Uncut Gems
Spies in Disguise

Top 5 Worst:
This and the Top 5 Best are in no particular order because I think these are my worst (and best) movies for different reasons.
  • Toy Story 4 - An unnecessary addition to a perfectly finished story that seemingly eschewed established character traits for the sake of telling a new story. Lots of inconsistencies in this and it featured an ending I felt was unearned. It's not the worst movie in the world because it's at least visually competent and features some of Pixar's best work yet, but the writing just doesn't work at all for me.
  • Hellboy - Had high hopes for this one on initial announcement. I'm a fan of the Del Toro films but I always wanted something more comic-accurate. Then the marketing started and I was getting worried and worried. Reviews came out, didn't help at all, eventually passed it by until I saw it was on HBO Now. Gave it a watch and...whoof. It's bad. The R-rating helped nothing (seemed to make it worse, honestly) and the story was all over the place. Disappointing but not the worst 'cause I...kind of expected it.
  • Godzilla: The Planet Eater - This entire list is going to be made of movies that I had expectations for that were shattered. Planet Eater just continues the same old nonsensical fake-deep plot and story that the last two films had with the only shining moment of this film being that something actually happens for once! It's still not a very good movie but it's not the worst of the trilogy.
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Never thought this would happen but...I guess I'm a sucker. This entire movie felt like a fast-paced apology for something that didn't even need apologizing for. It spent way too much time retconning the last movie than it did propping itself up with a reasonable story. Instead, it's a confusing mess with a few glimmering elements but mostly dumb writing decisions and a incoherent message and theme. It was the end of a 44-year running saga and it went out in the worst possible way it could: not with a whimper or a bombastic explosion of awfulness, but with a mild murmur of mediocrity.
  • The Lion King - This film has a lot in common with ROS, but that at least introduced more new concepts than old, even if those new concepts weren't good. The Lion King remake is literally that: a shot-for-shot remake of the original animated film. There's a few new instances but they mean ultimately nothing in the overall narrative. The new actors read the old lines as if it's a table read and not their actual performances, the music should be full of the same life and energy as the original but it comes across like James Earl Jones' Mufasa: tired and downbeat. There's really nothing I can say about this movie that's positive. I guess the realistic computer effects look nice? But...they also don't? The original is a vibrant masterpiece of animation, full of color and whimsical art designs. This new film is a de-saturated, visual bore. The complete antithesis to filmmaking.

Top 5 Best:
  • Rocketman - A friend of mine showed me this at the tail-end of the year and I seriously enjoyed it. I liked that it wasn't a traditional biographical film (most likely because the subject was still alive) and it's visual style and cinematography were really fantastic. Music was good too, Taron Egerton has a great singing voice. An overall joy to watch.
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters - I've soured a lot on this film since I first saw it in theaters in May, but a rewatch with an enthusiastic G-FEST crowd made me see it in a more positive light. It really is only on this list because of that showing; if I hadn't gone, it likely would've made the worst list instead. It has a lot that it does wrong, but in the company of people who don't care about that stuff, it's a good time.
  • Joker - A pleasant surprise, even if it isn't very original. It's one of the most brutal mainstream films I've ever seen and it's a shock that it was approved with such an iconic, pulpy character as the main role. Joaquin Phoenix's performance is the best thing about it, but I also really like the drab color palette mixed in with some bright primary colors such as Joker's suit.
  • Avengers: Endgame - Endgame is the exact opposite of Joker but still a film I've waited over ten years to see. It's really the only film I can think of that I've anticipated since it's initial announcement that hit every single mark I wanted it to hit. My expectations were neither shattered nor overblown, it was exactly what I wanted it to be and I loved it for that.
  • Jojo Rabbit - Anyone who dislikes Taika Waititi films needs to see this. I loved it to bits. Hilarious, absolutely gut-wrenching, unique, vibrant, there's a lot of buzzwords I can probably toss in this sentence but all I really need to say is that it's my Film of the Year and that should be enough.

Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in some viewings of Uncut Gems and Knives Out before we hit mid-January so I can (potentially) edit this list a little more. But for now, these are my choices.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla98rules
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby godzilla98rules » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:27 pm

Final Update

Excellent:

Joker

Good:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (GO-JI-RA! MO-SU-RA! LETS GO, LETS GO, LETS GO, LETS GO, AH! GOJIRA!)
IT: Chapter 2
The Lego Movie: The Second Part

Okay:

Cats
Godzilla: The Planet Eater (This is definitely the most disappointing trilogy I have ever seen)
The Lion King (2019)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Decent, but pretty much pointless)

Bad:

Terrible:

My Top 5 Films of 2019:

5. IT: Chapter 2 (I really don't have a proper best film to put here)
4. The Lego Movie: The Second Part
3. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
2. Avengers: Endgame
1. Joker

UltramanGoji wrote:
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Never thought this would happen but...I guess I'm a sucker. This entire movie felt like a fast-paced apology for something that didn't even need apologizing for. It spent way too much time retconning the last movie than it did propping itself up with a reasonable story. Instead, it's a confusing mess with a few glimmering elements but mostly dumb writing decisions and a incoherent message and theme. It was the end of a 44-year running saga and it went out in the worst possible way it could: not with a whimper or a bombastic explosion of awfulness, but with a mild murmur of mediocrity.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head for how I felt about this film. Even though I thought it was okay, I still left the movie feeling absolutely nothing but hollow and burned out. Never before had I left a Star Wars film feeling this way.......
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4HAZwFtUEJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:11 pm

Damn, been so long since I updated this list. Not sure if I got all the movies I saw last decade but if I forgot about them they probably weren't super remarkable anyways.

Excellent
Uncut Gems
John Wick 3: Parabellem
Triple Frontier

Good
Midsommar
Joker
Us
Shazam!

Avengers Endgame
Avengers Endgame

Average
Ready Or Not
Crawl
Pet Semetary

Diplodocus Dookie
Terminator Dark Fart
Last edited by 2004Zilla on Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They must love the smell of Bvlgari. Yeah, I'm doing a little product placement! I gotta get paid, too!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Interpol Agent

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:05 pm

Just saw Parasite and holy poop...

Probably the best movie of the year and one of the best I've seen in a long time.

My Top Ten Films of the Year:
1- Parasite
2- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
3- 1917
4- Joker
5- John Wick: Chapter 3
6- The Irishman
7- Avengers: Endgame
8- Knives Out
9- Jojo Rabbit
10- El Camino

My Bottom Five Films of the Year:
1- It Chapter 2
2- Dark Phoenix
3- Pet Sematary
4- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
5- Toy Story 4 (not actually that BAD, but so very unnecessary)
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016
EDF Soldier

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:26 am

Still doing this because there's still so much good poop i want to see lol.

Best:
Us
Rocketman
Shazam!
Ready or Not
John Mulaney And The Sack Lunch Bunch (Letterboxed says it's a movie so skreeonk it)

Great:
Captain Marvel

Good:
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part
Dolemite Is My Name!

Above Average:

Average:
The Banana Splits Movie
Crawl

Bad:

Awful:

Want to See:

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum
Booksmart
Joker
Zombieland: Double Tap
Jojo Rabbit
The Lighthouse
Parasite
Knives Out
Uncut Gems
The Farewell
Queen and Slim
Jumanji:Next Level
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

HedorahIsBestGirl
Interpol Agent

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:14 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Want to See:
Booksmart
Joker
Jojo Rabbit
The Lighthouse
Parasite
Knives Out

Uncut Gems
The Farewell
Queen and Slim

Prioritize the movies in bold, they're excellent. Skip It Chapter 2, it's three tedious hours you won't get back.

GodzillaFan1990's
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:26 pm

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Prioritize the movies in bold, they're excellent. Skip It Chapter 2, it's three tedious hours you won't get back.

Ditto on that. That film had such an inconsistent tone. Didn't know whether to be a horror or a comedy...

Spoiler:
How the skreeonk is it horror when IT becomes and naked googly eyed CGI granny who looks like she'd be Gollum's mother?

Its ironic for all the poop I had given Joker which ended up as among my 3 favorite films this year. It: Chapter Two was one of my most anticipated and become among my most disappointing and worst. Funny how things can suddenly take an opposite turn.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016
EDF Soldier

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:32 pm

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Want to See:
Booksmart
Joker
Jojo Rabbit
The Lighthouse
Parasite
Knives Out

Uncut Gems
The Farewell
Queen and Slim

Prioritize the movies in bold, they're excellent. Skip It Chapter 2, it's three tedious hours you won't get back.

Yeah those are def the ones I'm really gunning to see, as well as Booksmart and The Lighthouse.

probably gonna wait on John Wick because I'm slow and haven't seen the first 2 yet though ;) :lol:

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

GodzillavsZilla

Postby GodzillavsZilla » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:31 pm

Final update

Best:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
1917 (not sure if I should count this as 2019 or 2020)
Joker
John Wick Chapter 3
Avengers Endgame

Good:
Godzilla King of the Monsters
Detective Pikachu
Steven Universe the moopie
Spider-Man Far From Home
Dora (guilty pleasure)
Crawl
Rambo Last Blood
Captain Marvel

Meh:
Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker
Alita Battle Angel

So bad it's good:
The Fanatic

Bad:
Escape Plan 3
Terminator Duck Fate
Aladdin
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:

On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary poop though if it is just scratches.

Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:16 pm

GodzillavsZilla wrote:moopie
Duck

Were these intentional
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:19 pm

The only first-run movie I saw in 2019 was KOTM, which technically makes it both the best and worst movie of 2019.
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

GodzillavsZilla

Postby GodzillavsZilla » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:26 pm

G2000 wrote:
GodzillavsZilla wrote:moopie
Duck

Were these intentional

Yep... Because my humor is poop :P
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:

On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary poop though if it is just scratches.

Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:36 pm

GodzillavsZilla wrote:Yep... Because my humor is poop :P

That's skreeonking sad man, get better material, and I say this unironically
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

SoggyNoodles2016
EDF Soldier

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:49 pm

Best:
Us
Rocketman
Shazam!
Ready or Not
John Mulaney And The Sack Lunch Bunch

Great:
Captain Marvel
Joker

Good:
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part
Dolemite Is My Name!

Above Average:

Average:
The Banana Splits Movie
Crawl
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise Of Skywalker

Bad:

Awful:

Want to See:

Booksmart
Jojo Rabbit
The Lighthouse
Parasite
Knives Out
Uncut Gems
The Farewell
Queen and Slim

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:26 am

Updated list, and this'll probably be my last update of 2019 for obvious reasons:

Great:
Joker
Knives Out
Ford v. Ferrari
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
It Chapter 2
John Wick: Chapter 3
Brightburn

Good:
Doctor Sleep
Shazam!
Hobbs & Shaw
Crawl
Annabelle Comes Home
Ready or Not
Terminator Dark Fate
Good Boys
Us
Captain Marvel

Okay:
Star Wars: the Rise of Skywalker
Child's Play
Anna
Glass
Velvet Buzzsaw
Pet Sematary

Bad:
Black Christmas
Hellboy
Cold Pursuit
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
3 From Hell
Midsommar
X-Men: Dark Phoenix
Happy Death Day 2U

I just watched the new Black Christmas and holy skreeonk is it awful. No, I didn't pay to see this and was never going to, I just watched it online out of morbid curiosity and I can confirm that every single bad thing you've heard about this piece of poop movie is true. I'm not normally one to rip movies for being "woke" or "sexist", I've said all the gripes towards Birds of Prey being "woke/sexist" are stupid and completely overblown, but I'm here to tell you that not only does this movie preach a "men bad" message, it beats you over the head with it. They don't even TRY to hide it. It was also boring.

It certainly didn't help that all the kills are kneecapped and choppily-edited. Watch it and you can easily spot where they cut stuff out. It's actually worse than the 2006 remake, I didn't even think that was possible.
Last edited by KManX89 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:56 pm

Really sad that I only just now got to see Parasite, what a fantastic experience. Easily my new favorite film of the year, though it's tied very closely with Jojo Rabbit. Fully deserving of all the Oscars it was nominated for. I saw it with people who were apprehensive, but they came out enjoying it a lot. Humorous, dark, depressing, but all around a great watch.

Excellent
Jojo Rabbit
Parasite

Great
Joker
Rocketman

Good
Captain Marvel
Fighting With My Family
Missing Link

Okay
Godzilla: The Planet Eater
Toy Story 4

Bad
Hellboy
The Lion King
Gemini Man

Watch List:
Shazam!
Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood
Ford vs. Ferrari
The Lighthouse
Knives Out

And my updated five best:

Top 5 Best:
  • Parasite
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Joker
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Gonna try and lock in some of these other movies this weekend, most likely Once Upon A Time and Ford v Ferrari since they're out on BD.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Media Center”