Live Action Lion King (tba)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
EDF Soldier

Live Action Lion King (tba)

Postby 3000 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 am

With Jon Favreau directing:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/ ... of-a145504

"We can officially confirm that The Walt Disney Studios and director Jon Favreau are putting a new reimagining of The Lion King on the fast track to production. The project follows the technologically groundbreaking smash hit The Jungle Book, directed by Favreau, which debuted in April and has earned $965.8 million worldwide. The Lion King builds on Disney’s success of reimagining its classics for a contemporary audience with films like Maleficent, Cinderella, and The Jungle Book. The upcoming Beauty and the Beast, starring Emma Watson as Belle, is already one of the most anticipated movies of 2017.

Like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King will include songs from the animated film. Disney and Favreau are also in development on a sequel to The Jungle Book. No release date has been announced for either film."

Well, what do you guys think? I am definitely a Jon Favreau fan and I really enjoyed the jungle book remake so I have no problems with this movie getting made. hopefully it turns out as good as the jungle book did.
Member of TK Since 2006

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Live Action Lion King (tba)

Postby Ivo-goji » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:27 am

Too many of these. We already had a perfectly good Lion King, why do another?
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

EDF Soldier

Postby 3000 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:42 am

Ivo-goji wrote:Too many of these. We already had a perfectly good Lion King, why do another?

Why not? I mean if its good and entertaining I'd be happy.

I could see your point more if they were just making another animated remake instead of a live action one.

Though i tend to agree that if you're going to remake a movie, pick a shitty movie and remake it as really good instead of trying to remake a masterpiece. High bar right there.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. So far it's been a mixed bag as far as these live action disney remakes.
Member of TK Since 2006

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:05 am

With a work like the Jungle Book, which is a novel that has been adapted to film several different times by different hands over the years, it makes sense that there would be new interpretations.

But the Lion King is an original film property that is only being remade as another movie by the same company that created the animated film in the first place.

I mean, it probably won't be bad, but still, this feels so cash-grabby.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:57 am

Ivo-goji wrote:I mean, it probably won't be bad, but still, this feels so cash-grabby.

You think? The Jungle Book made over 700$ million at the box office, The Lion King is there most praised and possibly highest earning animated film. This has 1 billion + written all over it.

Plus i really enjoyed The Jungle Book, i think it has potential to be great. Shere Khan was quite amazing, I'd love to see what he does with Scar and the Hyena's.

Honestly who didn't see this coming?

EDF Soldier

Postby 3000 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:59 am

I mean they are in the business of making money, so...

The term cash grab has become pretty meaningless lately.
Member of TK Since 2006

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:12 am

As long as the original cast can reprise their roles, I'm all for it. At the very least, you NEED James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons back. They ARE Mufasa and Scar.
Check out my YouTube channel CinemaGoji for all things kaiju!

TheSecondComing
EDF Soldier

Postby TheSecondComing » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:15 am

I meant to see Jungle Book but never got around to it. From a creativity standpoint it's a bummer Disney is going back to redo the classics over and over, but monetarily it makes all the sense in the world.

Except Pete's Dragon.
[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/Legionmaster/pWo.jpg[/img]

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Postby Castellan Zilla » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:43 am

Ivo-goji wrote:With a work like the Jungle Book, which is a novel that has been adapted to film several different times by different hands over the years, it makes sense that there would be new interpretations.

But the Lion King is an original film property that is only being remade as another movie by the same company that created the animated film in the first place.

I mean, it probably won't be bad, but still, this feels so cash-grabby.

The Lion King was based off Hamlet. With The Lion King 2 being based off Romeo and Juliet. So, the story in and of itself isn't original.

godzilla98rules
Futurian

Postby godzilla98rules » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:00 am

I do agree that the live action remakes are all a cash grab, but with how fantastic The Jungle Book turned out to be, I'm not at all concerned with this remake being bad. I'm sure he director will make it as good as his previous Disney remake.....

Zilla103192
Keizer

Postby Zilla103192 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:55 pm

I think the constant complaint about Remakes/Reboots is dumb. If you like the originals, nothing is stopping you from watching those over the remake. Remakes actually spark my interest in the originals if I haven't seen them. And I think it's alot of fun to compare them to their original counterparts. I wasn't a fan of "Nightmare on Elm Street" until I saw the 2010 film, I then wanted to go and see the originals. Now I am a complete FredHead.

That said, I am really excited for this. I've expressed interest in a live action Lion King for years. And if it's going to take the darker tone that the recent Jungle Book took, then it should be pretty damn good.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:11 pm

NO!

NO GOD DAMNIT! NO!
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:NO!

NO GOD DAMNIT! NO!

LOOK THERE IT IS THERE'S YOUR ORIGINAL ITS FINE EVERYTHING'S FINE IT'S NOT GOING TO GO AWAY JUST BECAUSE THEY REMAKE IT

Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:21 pm

Get Hans Zimmer, James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons, and whoever voiced Pumba and Timon, and THEN maybe we'll talk. Otherwise this is going to suck.

... Dear god, I sound like Underworld.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:13 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Otherwise this is going to suck.

You have zero information to base this off of.

TheSecondComing
EDF Soldier

Postby TheSecondComing » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:48 pm

^^There's also zero information to assume that it'll be good, at this point. Only that it'll be a thing that exists, unless it's canceled.

Kaiju-King42 wrote:whoever voiced Pumba and Timon

Ernie Sabella and Nathan Lane.
[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/Legionmaster/pWo.jpg[/img]

JAGzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby JAGzilla » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:02 pm

I have to say, remaking this particular movie in 'live-action' seems ridiculous. With TJB, sure, that made sense because there were human characters that could be played by actual actors. This is just going to be CGI talking animals replacing the hand-drawn talking animals, with nothing 'live' about it.
"When you're serious about having fun, it's not much fun at all!" -Calvin

XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:26 pm

2 things that are an absolute must for this film is Mufasa speaking to Simba from the clouds... An the Nazi stepping Hyena's during Scar's ''Be prepared''

I don't care how unrealistic or silly it may look without either of those scene's i'm out.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:36 pm

JAGzilla wrote:I have to say, remaking this particular movie in 'live-action' seems ridiculous. With TJB, sure, that made sense because there were human characters that could be played by actual actors. This is just going to be CGI talking animals replacing the hand-drawn talking animals, with nothing 'live' about it.

This assuming it follows the original movie's plot.

They could be planning to insert human characters into the story or something.

But yeah the best case scenario is that this is a cartoon with real animals as extras. Unless they intend to go a Homeward Bound type route. Somehow.
Resized Image

Godzilla2000Zero
JXSDF Technician

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Disney's Dinosaur comes to mind so I wouldn't worry about it.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Return to “Media Center”