Legendary Pictures' Detective Pikachu (May 2019)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Legendary Pictures' Detective Pikachu (May 2019)

Post by TheSecondComing »

Yes, you've read right. Legendary has won the live action Pokemon movie rights and apparently will go for a Detective Pikachu story.

I'm 4000% ready for this.

Production starts next year. Universal will distribute, except in Japan where Toho will do the job.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/pokem ... 201818838/
Last edited by TheSecondComing on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Legendary Pictures' Detective Pikachu (20??)

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

Still a better idea than the Emoji and Tetris movies.

Added in 15 minutes 14 seconds:
So... how long until we get Godzilla vs Pokemon? Didn't Shogo Tomiyama say Godzilla must win children's hearts back from Pokemon? I love Pokemon but... #TeamGoji
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Max Landis was considered to write this. Pretty damn scary. Thankfully his script has been shelved...permanently.

ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Can someone mind pinching me? This is actually happening!? Holy skreeonk. Are you sure I'm not even in a dream right now? :dizzy:

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Showa Gyaos wrote:Max Landis was considered to write this. Pretty damn scary. Thankfully his script has been shelved...permanently.
All I can think about is that I'm glad they're hopefully not making a drab dark reboot that completely messes with the source material so it can look edgy and cool. Like Power Rangers is doing. Not everything is Batman or Iron Man, lol. Not that I wouldn't be up for something akin to the games mixed with the anime and Special manga, I don't think that Pokemon, Power Rangers or anything of that sort should be hyper dark and gritty films because it really gets rid of the heart of such properties.

I'd love to see a deconstruction of the monster collection series in its own franchise,like Evangelion was to super-robot series.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Bigdog wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:Max Landis was considered to write this. Pretty damn scary. Thankfully his script has been shelved...permanently.
All I can think about is that I'm glad they're hopefully not making a drab dark reboot that completely messes with the source material so it can look edgy and cool. Like Power Rangers is doing. Not everything is Batman or Iron Man, lol. Not that I wouldn't be up for something akin to the games mixed with the anime and Special manga, I don't think that Pokemon, Power Rangers or anything of that sort should be hyper dark and gritty films because it really gets rid of the heart of such properties.

I'd love to see a deconstruction of the monster collection series in its own franchise,like Evangelion was to super-robot series.
Strangely enough the new Power Rangers movie is getting me back into Power Rangers which I stopped caring about completely by age 7 and admittedly didn't like for a few years afterwards despite loving way more cheesy and nerdy shit at the same time. I'm looking forward to the PR movie: I really like the new costumes... except for Rita. Nope, classic Rita with that ridiculous white hair or bust. But they're doing something with the Green Ranger and the Green Ranger was always my favourite so I'm looking even more forward to it.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
Bigdog wrote:

Strangely enough the new Power Rangers movie is getting me back into Power Rangers which I stopped caring about completely by age 7 and admittedly didn't like for a few years afterwards despite loving way more cheesy and nerdy shit at the same time. I'm looking forward to the PR movie: I really like the new costumes... except for Rita. Nope, classic Rita with that ridiculous white hair or bust. But they're doing something with the Green Ranger and the Green Ranger was always my favourite so I'm looking even more forward to it.
The more I see the suits, the more I don't care for them. The helmets resemble nothing of the show, while the suits are completely bland, over-complicated, and need some more white accents to the design so it could break them up. It should be hard to screw up the suits, because they're iconic. I did some minor design tweaks to the helmets and the suits sometime back to make it slightly resemble the show, while keeping the general aesthetics I liked from the redesigns. It's one thing to want some sort of redesign to fit a story, however, it looks like a laughable clone of every edgy reboot out there. If people can accept Spiderman and Black Panther and the Marvel universe, I'm very sure they could accept Power Rangers if it was more faithful to its' source material. Doesn't mean it has to be a direct translation, but something that's akin to the 1995 film, but given a major sleek design.

Rita looks literally unrecognizable and looks more like Poison Ivy got fashion advice from Lady Gaga. And hearing how Bryan Cranston says its like "The Dark Knight" ensured I wouldn't see it aside from the PC casting choices, questionable story, and how nothing really feels like it at all. And they expect to make 7 of these? :roll:

I can only imagine an edgy Pokemon reboot from Hollywood right now, and I'd never see that unless it turned out amazing.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

I'd be down for an 'edgy' live action Pokemon: The First Movie remake.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Power Rangers was -------- to begin with so I doubt the movie could do much damage. One another note what the hell is Detective Pikachu and why would they make that instead of a full blown Pokemon film!?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I am ... very confused by this premise. I actually wasn't inclined to believe it until those Landis tweets. Probably won't see it either way, so good luck to them, I guess? At least it has the potential to be amazingly weird?
Bigdog wrote:And hearing how Bryan Cranston says its like "The Dark Knight" ensured I wouldn't see it aside from the PC casting choices
Are we ... are we talking about the same Power Rangers? The original multi-ethnic friend group?

Did I miss something?

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Rodan wrote:I am ... very confused by this premise. I actually wasn't inclined to believe it until those Landis tweets. Probably won't see it either way, so good luck to them, I guess? At least it has the potential to be amazingly weird?
Bigdog wrote:And hearing how Bryan Cranston says its like "The Dark Knight" ensured I wouldn't see it aside from the PC casting choices
Are we ... are we talking about the same Power Rangers? The original multi-ethnic friend group?

Did I miss something?
I can't see a Landis written Pokemon film working well, unless it had a director that didn't do a Dragonball Evolution with it.

I mean them changing the Mighty Morphin' cast makeup for the four other rangers except for Jason in the reboot. Like every PC reboot, they always wuss out with the leader being usually white still. Why not look at Dino Charge for an example? I'm glad they finally have a black girl as the pink ranger. Then again, I really like Dino Charge in general as the cast and writing's pretty great.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Power Rangers was -------- to begin with so I doubt the movie could do much damage. One another note what the hell is Detective Pikachu and why would they make that instead of a full blown Pokemon film!?
Basically a video game that only exists in Japan around a talking Pikachu that people wanted Danny Devito to voice.
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:I'd be down for an 'edgy' live action Pokemon: The First Movie remake.
OMG! I'd totally watch that and 2000 in live action.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Power Rangers was -------- to begin with so I doubt the movie could do much damage. One another note what the hell is Detective Pikachu and why would they make that instead of a full blown Pokemon film!?
Probably because Pikachu talks in the Detective series.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Probably because Pikachu talks in the Detective series.
>inb4 Pikachu starts quoting famous detectives
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Stefanos of Levanon
Monarch Researcher

Post by Stefanos of Levanon »

Legendary is playing Smart and Safe with this, they're fucking geniuses.

Detective Pikachu is testing the waters as the "Live action Pokemon Movie", while they wait and see how it actually turns out. In the background, they'll be waiting and planning on how they'll do the actual Live Action Pokemon movie. If in the event that all else fails with DP, they can just count it off as a Loss and say that the "Real" Pokemon Movie is coming.

If DP is successful, expect a "Animation" branch of Legendary to be formed and used to make other movies of the same style.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Stefanos of Levanon wrote:Legendary is playing Smart and Safe with this, they're skreeonking geniuses.

Detective Pikachu is testing the waters as the "Live action Pokemon Movie", while they wait and see how it actually turns out. In the background, they'll be waiting and planning on how they'll do the actual Live Action Pokemon movie. If in the event that all else fails with DP, they can just count it off as a Loss and say that the "Real" Pokemon Movie is coming.

If DP is successful, expect a "Animation" branch of Legendary to be formed and used to make other movies of the same style.
I'd love to see a live action one if they took a Marvel approach. That means, take from Pokemon Special for the story , using the Indigo anime and its characters to fill their equivalent roles, and go for a mix of anime and Origins style battling so it's not too brutal. I'm hesitant for it to work, though.

Legendary's also seeing how other anime properties fare such as Lionsgate's Naruto. If that does well, I can see more Shonen series like Pokemon done since that show's hard to translate, alongside Death Note. And maybe if George Miller could do a Fist of the North Star reboot. That would be a complete circle of influence, him doing the franchise that was inspired from his own, if it was real.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

.......So this is a thing I guess.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Lets cast Liam Neeson as the voice of Detective Pikachu. Lets get real weird with it.
Member of TK Since 2006

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Is Landis really that bad? He initially across as off-putting, though he doesn't seem too bad when you listen to him.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

kamilleblu wrote:

Is Landis really that bad? He initially across as off-putting, though he doesn't seem too bad when you listen to him.
People don't like him because he's off-putting and can be somewhat cocky. I merely think it's scary because his style of writing just wouldn't work for a movie like this. Case in point: The best movie he ever wrote was Chronicle (2012). The rest have been panned or mixed.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

kamilleblu wrote:

Other than Chronicle, most of what he's been involved with has been garbage.
Member of TK Since 2006