Jurassic Fight Club

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
g2vd
Kwaidan

Jurassic Fight Club

Postby g2vd » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:51 am

I do wish this series hadn't been canceled after one season there was still so, so, so much for it to go over.
Godzilla

Birdman
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Jurassic Fight Club

Postby Birdman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:00 am

No, this show deserved to be cancelled, along with every other palaeontology show made by Discovery Channel.
Komenja wrote:"Rematch! Rematch! Oodako's comin' back for the title!"

https://vk.com/video224433251_166145954

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:30 am

Birdman wrote:No, this show deserved to be cancelled, along with every other palaeontology show made by Discovery Channel.

*History Channel*

Plus Discovery already canceled any show that even slightly had any scientific elements years ago.
Godzilla

GodzillaLord
Interpol Agent

Postby GodzillaLord » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:00 am

Birdman wrote:No, this show deserved to be cancelled, along with every other palaeontology show made by Discovery Channel.

Why?
"I learned whence Cthulhu first came, and why half the great temporary stars of history had flared forth."

GodzillaLord wrote:
Birdman wrote:Do you like what you see?.

No. Given that the majority of Godzilla kaiju aren't sentient and are essentially just large animals, that's a little bit messed up. "Shrug", i digress do what you like, but i don't need the information.

Birdman
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Birdman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:47 am

GodzillaLord wrote:

Why?

Because it's inaccurate and stupid.

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:54 am

Birdman wrote:
GodzillaLord wrote:

Why?

Details.
Godzilla

GodzillaFan1990's
Kwaidan

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:01 am

While much better than the more cringing Animal Face-Off (Jaguar losing because a bird distracted it, please.....) and accurate in comparison. It's still a somewhat of a flawed show but at the same time found it rather entertaining. My favorite one was the Megalodon one.

Shame this didn't get a Season 2. Would've loved to have seen Megalania vs. Marsupial Lion.

TBH I know it was suppose to be a documentary show but to me. I found Jurassic Fight Club to be just entertainment between prehistoric animals duking it out, that's probably just me though and don't care whether it had some inaccurate info (At least it has more accurate info than Animal Face-Off, gotta give it props for that).
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Birdman
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Birdman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:01 am

Wh- what so you mean details? Ask any other dinosaur fan on Toho Kingdom and they'll agree most of the dinosaur "documentaries" they poop out these days (bar a few exceptions) are a steaming pile of Awesomebro dribble meant to cater to the brain dead simpletons who couldn't tell an Allosaurus from a Tyrannosaurus.

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:21 pm

Birdman wrote:Wh- what so you mean details? Ask any other dinosaur fan on Toho Kingdom and they'll agree most of the dinosaur "documentaries" they poop out these days (bar a few exceptions) are a steaming pile of Awesomebro dribble meant to cater to the brain dead simpletons who couldn't tell an Allosaurus from a Tyrannosaurus.

Contact Space Hunter M and tell him to PM Gigan72 for his opinion on this series.

And how is it inaccurate?
Godzilla

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:02 pm

g2vd wrote:And how is it inaccurate?

For starters, the 'T-rex Hunter' episode relies solely on the assumption that Nanotyrannus is its own valid genus. In reality, it is far, far more likely that it's just a juvenile T. rex. The actual juvenile Tyrannosaurus in the episode are literally re-sized models of the adults, even though, again, they would've looked more like the Nanotyrannus seen in the episode.

The episode with the Dromaeosaurus pack hunting an Edmontosaurus but having T. rex show up in the end is highly implausible, considering Tyrannosaurus and Dromaeosaurus didn't even live in the same time period.

Then there's Allosaurus, who was overrated in all of its appearances on the show. The idea of Allosaurus hunting Ceratosaurus into extinction falls flat on its face when you take into account that 1.) Saurophaganax and Torvosaurus are two predatory dinosaurs that were bigger and coexisted with the two previously mentioned ones, meaning Allosaurus wasn't even the biggest theropod dinosaur in the Morrison formation, and 2.) The Morrison is known for an abundance of herbivorous dinosaurs, which makes a rivalry between the two species pretty meaningless, especially since both are uniquely specialized in hunting down prey (Ceratosaurus has rather distinct traits that suggest for a more aquatic lifestyle while Allosaurus and its relatives are suggested to have hunted in packs).

There's a lot more inaccuracies (Pachyrhinosaurus being depicted with a horn on its nose; Majungasaurus being referred to as Majungatholus, which would be like calling T. rex Manospondylus; etc.), but the point is, the show is built on depicting dinosaurs as movie monsters rather than actual animals, which works in movies, but not for documentaries. I don't want to be the one to ruin your fun and say that you shouldn't enjoy the show for what it is, but just take what they say with a grain of salt

Why do you need Space Hunter M to PM Gigan 72? Can't you just do it yourself?

Inferno Rodan
EDF Soldier

Postby Inferno Rodan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:01 pm

2004Zilla wrote:For starters, the 'T-rex Hunter' episode relies solely on the assumption that Nanotyrannus is its own valid genus. In reality, it is far, far more likely that it's just a juvenile T. rex. The actual juvenile Tyrannosaurus in the episode are literally re-sized models of the adults, even though, again, they would've looked more like the Nanotyrannus seen in the episode.

Inaccuracy of the juvenile Rexes in the episode aside, saying it's "far, far more likely" that Nanotyrannus is itself a juvenile Tyrannosaurus is just outright false. It's certainly a controversial topic, but there is a substantial amount of evidence supporting it being its own genus. Especially the whole thing with its arms being longer and more developed than those of the largest Tyrannosaurus ever discovered (Sue) by a significant margin. And I don't mean proportionally larger, either. They were larger in absolute terms. The Montana Dueling Dinosaurs discovery put some very serious weight toward the validity of Nanotyrannus.

Anywho...

I enjoyed JFC for what it was. Not very accurate, but entertaining nonetheless. And to this day I still think the Allosaurus model is one of the sexiest to ever appear in any dinosaur show.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

JAGzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby JAGzilla » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:11 pm

2004Zilla wrote:
Then there's Allosaurus, who was overrated in all of its appearances on the show. The idea of Allosaurus hunting Ceratosaurus into extinction falls flat on its face when you take into account that 1.) Saurophaganax and Torvosaurus are two predatory dinosaurs that were bigger and coexisted with the two previously mentioned ones, meaning Allosaurus wasn't even the biggest theropod dinosaur in the Morrison formation, and 2.) The Morrison is known for an abundance of herbivorous dinosaurs, which makes a rivalry between the two species pretty meaningless, especially since both are uniquely specialized in hunting down prey (Ceratosaurus has rather distinct traits that suggest for a more aquatic lifestyle while Allosaurus and its relatives are suggested to have hunted in packs).

I don't pretend to be anything like up to date on what's known about these specific species, but modern mammalian predators will sometimes kill each other even if they aren't seriously competing for prey. Wolves will aggressively persecute coyotes, for example, and lions kill hyenas or cheetahs whenever they get the chance. So similar dinosaurian rivalries might have existed.
"When you're serious about having fun, it's not much fun at all!" -Calvin

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:53 pm

While I enjoyed the series, the inaccuracies were incredibly irritating for me, and pretty much went against everything that me and my other colleagues studied/researched. I look at JFC and every other Dinosaur "documentary", as nothing more than pure entertainment that were made ultimately for people to see dinosaurs kill one another.

The "documentary" and "science" part of it is mostly just fluff and for show.

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:06 pm

Inferno Rodan wrote:Inaccuracy of the juvenile Rexes in the episode aside, saying it's "far, far more likely" that Nanotyrannus is itself a juvenile Tyrannosaurus is just outright false. It's certainly a controversial topic, but there is a substantial amount of evidence supporting it being its own genus. Especially the whole thing with its arms being longer and more developed than those of the largest Tyrannosaurus ever discovered (Sue) by a significant margin. And I don't mean proportionally larger, either. They were larger in absolute terms. The Montana Dueling Dinosaurs discovery put some very serious weight toward the validity of Nanotyrannus

The 'Dueling Dinosaurs' find isn't a valid specimen, though. Since it's part of a private collection, there hasn't been any real legitimate research done on it, so, from a purely scientific perspective, it's useless. Unless that one documentary about the Dueling Dinosaurs revealed some extremely apparent info that hasn't been found already in the original Cleveland specimen, and even then, the validity of the information is questionable at best.

I ignored the part of your post mentioning the arm length of Nanotyrannus, since I couldn't really find anything about it. I was under the impression that the Cleveland skull was the only real evidence we have of Nanotyrannus.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:50 pm

I only saw a couple of episodes of the show. It was more entertainment than fact, but people weren't watching it for facts. They wanted to see the animals in combat.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought ypu gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:42 am

2004Zilla wrote:Why do you need Space Hunter M to PM Gigan 72? Can't you just do it yourself?

While much better than the more cringing Animal Face-Off (Jaguar losing because a bird distracted it, please.....) and accurate in comparison. It's still a somewhat of a flawed show but at the same time found it rather entertaining. My favorite one was the Megalodon one.

Animal Face-Off?
Godzilla

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Postby RandomDeinonychus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:53 am

2004Zilla wrote:(Ceratosaurus has rather distinct traits that suggest for a more aquatic lifestyle while Allosaurus and its relatives are suggested to have hunted in packs).

Huh, I honestly did not recall hearing that Ceratosaurus was thought to be semi-aquatic, and it's one of my favorite dinosaurs. I'll have to look into that further.

Shows how far behind I've fallen in keeping up with paleontology trends!
The Terrible Claw Reviews, latest review: Colossal (2016)!

GodzillaFan1990's
Kwaidan

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:30 am

g2vd wrote:Animal Face-Off?

It's a show similar except pitting modern day animals against each other. Most notably Saltwater Crocodile vs. Great White Shark.

Here's an episode for example. Nile Crocodile vs. African Lion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x_xldDu20Y

Return to “Media Center”